PBW & the Chemistry of Clean

John Lewus

Two, ten minute soaks with long hot water rinses in between has been better than one long half hour soak.

Twenty minutes of soak where you use twice the PBW, have to dump water/rinse/load with PBW/wait for hot water/fill up again and have an average higher temperature vs. one 30 minute soak with 1/2 the PBW and less time spent going through the clean/soak/rinse cycle and it works better. I prefer the long 24 hour soaks with virtually no interaction from me. That has worked every time and is easy.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Just cleaned my glass yesterday, a small straight tube and my little rig. Dump, hot water rinse, PBW overnight soak, then a good few hot water rinses, and an ISO rinse. Once a week or so. Hot water and RezBlock Concentrate changed everyday. Keeps the glass nice.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
You know, I finally bought the 5-lb tub of PBW.

I use a Tbls in most dishwasher loads. It has really made my glass sparkle, and the inside of the dishwasher is starting to get white again! this is important, as when we sell the house, the state of the appliances will make a difference.
I also have soaked the grungy out of the handle of my Kitchenaid food processor. If you have one, you know what I'm talking about - that stupid handle design with the lock mechanism, which gets all icky over time. I put some PBW in a large glass bowl, and submerged the handle in it, and then shook it occasionally. It's not perfect, but it is way better.
My glass teapot was so hazy, I thought the glass had been etched. PBW made it absolutely clear again. Also, I've rinsed the stainless tea strainers, and gotten a lot of built up residue off, which has made the screens have larger openings again (I'm baked, don't expect me to know the right terms), and look new.

I use PBW in my bubbler maybe once a week now. I also use this other stuff, One Step, which bills itself as a no-rinse cleaner (also for the brewing industry).. though I do rinse it like crazy.. I use this about once a week. The other times, I just do a hot water rinse.

I'm using the Nature's Answer Cranberry extract, about 3 or 4 drops in the bubbler water... and I try never to let it go beyond two days without at least a quick hot water rinse.

PBW is the best. Love this stuff. Rinse it well.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Another PBW Success story :tup:

I've been using my Fritter for a few weeks, using some NACE in the water to reduce buildup.
It seems the NACE doesn't work as well in fritters compared to other pieces...

So I had a moderate amount of buildup on the walls, a few chunks of what I can only assume was resin stuck to the fritt,and the frit was starting to go a bit of a brown color.

Hot water rinses weren't really doing anything, and there was a spot or 2 just around the water line where I think some mold might've been starting to develop - needless to say, it was no longer in vaping condition :puke: .

1 single PBW soak, and the glass is sparkling, and the frit is as white as ever :D

PBW is hands down the easiest and best method to clean glassware I've used. I'm a very happy camper (Just got my 2nd pound of the stuff :))

Monsoon

Edit: On another note, I'm rebuilding a Tec infrared grill right now and I am using PBW to clean all of the 304 stainless steel parts. Its doing a beautiful job :)

Does that mean it would be safe to use to clean the atomizer on the Sublimator? It would certainly make cleaning it easier.

Before this and the Rezblock/NACE thread I thought the only thing better than ISO was that overpriced bong cleaner they sell at headshops. Definitely picking up a bunch for me and my friends.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Does that mean it would be safe to use to clean the atomizer on the Sublimator?
Home brew folks use PBW on SS all the time, it works great. For your application may I recommend HOT HOT HOT water and a strong solution mix. Leave the dwell times short, rinse and repeat as necessary. Please report back with your results, thanks! :)

Please note this method does not allow for reclaim.

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
Not sure if this has already been discussed or not but I found out that Simple Green works pretty well to clean glass. It's an all natural non toxic kitchen cleaner.

Before:
UPiyice.jpg

After:
3G2dv4F.jpg

Last edited:
Jared,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
SG needs another thread, it didn't qualify for this project for a few reasons as stated in the OP. Although SG is alcohol based and has a low environmental footprint, its not actually good for the environment like PBW, and its non-toxicity is disputed. It is also expensive and bulky to store, but it does work well, I use it myself for some things . . .

Richy

Frequently up in space with Bowie
If you look back a few pages you'll notice Roger D. suggests as an alternative that you can use a mix of Sodium Percarbonate and Calgon (which I believe is Sodium Hexametaphosphate), both of which are available in Europe. He initially suggested an equal mix of both but I'm not sure if he has refined the proportions since then. Here is a link to his post:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pbw-the-chemistry-of-clean.7854/page-17#post-380985

If you are in the UK then Sodium Percarbonate can be bought for what seems quite cheap from ebay. For example one seller I noticed is selling it at £9 for 1Kg or £13 for 2Kg inc. postage with further discounts for larger amounts. I haven't used the stuff yet as my glass only sees relatively light use so hot water has done me fine so far but I'm guessing that one or two kilograms will last you quite a while.

For 1 Kg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1KG-Sodiu...omeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item338287e7be

For more than 1Kg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sodium-Pe...ment_Lab_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item33806d6549

I also found someone selling Sodium Hexametaphosphate on ebay at £8 for 1Kg.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Sodiu...Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item4abf9aadf0

I hope this helps.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
PBW is formulated to combat hard water problems, and it will remove even problem buildup over time. CLR is a stronger, more immediate, and purpose built solution for hard water stains.

Jelmar-CL-12-rw-210381-319533.jpg

t-dub,

Mrmrmrmr

So a 15min hot water soak wouldn't rid the piece of hard water stains ?
I only vape in my apix and it has developed a cloudy look in the downstem and throughout the piece now

Mrmrmrmr,

mlo4sho

It's not really a stain , more of a thick residue
Sounds like vapor residue, you should be fine. Give it a try and report back with your results, pics are even better . . . :tup:
Also don't be afraid to try multiple soaks/washes. The first soak should clear a lot up but sometimes an additional soak is needed on pieces that have gone a while without washing. Make sure your water is hot!! This also helps a bunch. I was in a similar situation before I had PBW and multiple glass pieces to work with and once I soaked/rinsed a couple times with PBW and hot hot water my piece began to look like new! Good luck, PBW is really awesome stuff.

Mrmrmrmr

I always wash my piece after each use with ISo so I'm thinking I probably won't have a very difficult time getting it clean , the pbw I ordered should be tomorrow !
Curious, has anyone tried using it in toilets or sinks ?

Mrmrmrmr,

Mrmrmrmr

PBW pretty much cleans just about everything it touches. It is NOT a sanitizer however. It works wonders in the dishwasher . . . :)
Hahaha I've read through this thread enough to know about the dishwasher !!

Mrmrmrmr,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I'm addicted to using it to clean my dishes. I just like they coming out new looking every time.
My glasses used to have this white filmy shit on them . . . now they sparkle along with everything else. Sparkle is good . . . :)

t-dub,

(We'll call him B)

EDIT: Why is it called the shake and break method? I always clean with ISO/SALT but never break anything during the process. I did not read the OP because it was so old, so my bad for the first post.

Last edited:
(We'll call him B),
Top Bottom