Passive vaping?

FatFreddy

Hi there
I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this, anecdotally and, if possible, evidence based.
I'm new to vaping. Smoked for 35 years (but gave up tobacco 20+ yrs ago) and got my first vaporiser 3 months ago.
I use resin rather than herb as my wife doesn't indulge and weed just stinks the house out.

I generally vape outdoors as a hangover from when I smoked and had young kids (all grown up now) but also because my wife doesn't indulge and doesn't want to get "passively stoned" off my vapour.

Now bearing in mind the vast difference between smoking and vaping, is this really an issue? Assuming I'm not sat next to her exhaling into her face, (but perhaps across the room from her?), how likely is it she'll experience any effects?

Or, If I were in a different room and she came in a few minutes afterward? How long does vapour linger?

I appreciate there are so many variable here that a definitive answer would be difficult, but what are your thoughts on this folks?

Thanks

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Hi there
I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this, anecdotally and, if possible, evidence based.
I'm new to vaping. Smoked for 35 years (but gave up tobacco 20+ yrs ago) and got my first vaporiser 3 months ago.
I use resin rather than herb as my wife doesn't indulge and weed just stinks the house out.

I generally vape outdoors as a hangover from when I smoked and had young kids (all grown up now) but also because my wife doesn't indulge and doesn't want to get "passively stoned" off my vapour.

Now bearing in mind the vast difference between smoking and vaping, is this really an issue? Assuming I'm not sat next to her exhaling into her face, (but perhaps across the room from her?), how likely is it she'll experience any effects?

Or, If I were in a different room and she came in a few minutes afterward? How long does vapour linger?

I appreciate there are so many variable here that a definitive answer would be difficult, but what are your thoughts on this folks?

Thanks

From my experince and my opinion...
I think that once exhaled, the vapour disperses to a level that means it's no longer concentrated enough for any psychoactive effects....

Yet it may still have other effects...
Possibly medicinal....
For all you know, your passive vapour maybe neuroprotective for your wife, and cancer protecting.... who knows...

FatFreddy

Replying to my own question(s) to push my thread(s) back to the top.
Noticed a number of folks have looked, but v few replies.
Have I asked in the wrong place? Or just asked really boring questions?

FatFreddy,

C No Ego

Hi there

Thanks

there was this cool vid I watched years ago of the volcano vaporizer tent... they had four volcano vaporizers in a tent with the top air outlet of the vape open to the tent ... two people sit in the tent and they turn on the vapes... the vapes send vapor into the closed up tent and the folks sit in there and breath it in... the native American indians experienced this too by closing the top of the tent after fall harvest time and putting a cannabis plant on the fire in the tent. people would sit in the tent and breath it in...

volatilized cannabis air happens and will have effects on people but just one guy vaping in a room is not enough volume of vapor to reproduce effects on others in the same room... it would take massive vapor production in an enclosed space to linger in that space long enough to be absorb able by another person...

FatFreddy

there was this cool vid I watched years ago of the volcano vaporizer tent... they had four volcano vaporizers in a tent with the top air outlet of the vape open to the tent ... two people sit in the tent and they turn on the vapes... the vapes send vapor into the closed up tent and the folks sit in there and breath it in... the native American indians experienced this too by closing the top of the tent after fall harvest time and putting a cannabis plant on the fire in the tent. people would sit in the tent and breath it in...

volatilized cannabis air happens and will have effects on people but just one guy vaping in a room is not enough volume of vapor to reproduce effects on others in the same room... it would take massive vapor production in an enclosed space to linger in that space long enough to be absorb able by another person...
thanks ☺
I thought as much, now I just have to convince her. ☹

FatFreddy,

C No Ego

thanks ☺
I thought as much, now I just have to convince her. ☹
good luck man! I now can vape with my loved one in the same room... at first I was relished to the out buildings LOL... My girl figured out she wants me around so there I now sit! incense though, or room scents could help the transition...

C No Ego,
Reactions: FatFreddy

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Unless you are literally baking, there's no way. 95% of THC is absorbed into the lungs within one second of contact. Then, upon exhale, it's dispersed at a rate of about 1 m(eter)/s, immediately making it insignificant immediately as it diffuses into the normal air. If there's any ventilation whatsoever, you could have multiple people vaping in a small room and there will be no affect on non-partakers.

yogoshio,

MonkeyTime

I'm lucky, my gf doesn't partake very often, but she doesn't think it smells and is fine with it at her place, so I'm free and open, unless the kids are around.....

While I would love for it to be true that 95% is absorbed, help me thru this one. I know that "shot gunning" smoked cannabis provides effects, first hand. Is vapor absorbed that differently than smoke?

MonkeyTime,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Unless you are blowing vapor directly in your wife's mouth she doesn't have to worry. I use a vaporizer in my home. My husband doesn't use because he has to take random drug tests. THC or any other chemical associated with cannabis has never showed up on any of his tests. He takes a random urine test every few months or so. He's been taking drug tests for 15 years or more.

Last edited:

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Shotgunning is different from exhaling. For one, shotgunning is most assuredly not affective in the same way as direct inhalation. You are getting THC from shotgunning since it's a directed flow, but it's still not enough for any normal sized person to get an actual high from THC. When it comes to smoke, you are still choking your lungs and getting asphyxiated from the smoke, so you will get residual "smoke high" affects, much like the high with vapor and smoke is markedly different.

yogoshio,
Top Bottom