Parted with my Volcano today

vapeguy

As I mentioned a few weeks ago I wanted to replace my Volcano with another vape, I decided after reading forums and reviews that the EQ was a good upgrade to the Volcano even though it's less than half the price. So far I love the EQ and like it more than the Volcano as I no longer have to mess with bags (but still have the option to use them when we're more than 2 using it).

Well I just sold my Volcano for $400 on eBay and shipped it today, it was hard to let it go with all the good times I had with friends using it.

I hope I won't end up missing it but as I said so far I seem to like the EQ a lot more.

vapeguy,

Carbon

I may be in the same boat as you soon. I'm waiting to get my hands on that VXH Cloud. I hope that it really blows me away and I can sell my Volcano Digital to recoup the cost. If not, I'll just have to stick with having 3 vapes available with 2 I would actually use.

Carbon,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
sad to part with an inanimate friend, maybe dig a hole in the backyard and pretend your had to bury a pet...? I'll say a prayer.

maybe this one...

Rainbow Bridge
nah, too sad, and not really...well, maybe it can work...? lol

VWFringe,
Outside of its impeccable build quality, there is little to miss about the Volcano. Good job on getting so much coin for it, I wish I had thought to sell mine on Ebay instead of the unsavory bullshit which ended up happening.

I personally feel my HA does a better job blowing balloons than the Volcano, and I usually prefer whip hits anyway. These days it's mostly DBV+Bong or Vapobowl+bong, with Vapeorsmoke when I'm out and about. ABV gets dumped into the HA and fills nighty-night bags.

If you have an Extreme, then I think you have two elbow pieces - I actually use an extreme elbow as a 18.8mm adaptor for vaporbonging, so if you haven't tried that yet, make sure you do!

charliedontsurf,

vapeguy

Actually I took my Volcano apart twice, once after a small fall that decalibrated the fragile analog thermostat (one MAJOR advantage of the Digital model, it's FAR more durable than fragile analog thermostats). I fixed it as it had set it so like max was 150, I was able to get it back pretty close to the original calibration.

The last time I opened it was just recently to make sure it's clean inside before shipping it.

Inside you can tell this costs about $10 to make, it's no more than a $5 air aquarium pump, a $2 thermostat, heating element and 2 switches and lights. I'd say it's build quality is rather cheap, although it does its job very well. It's almost disturbing seeing how cheap it is inside with the price this costs, no wonder they put tamper proof screws to keep that fact hidden from most people.

I haven't opened the Extreme Q but I have no doubt it costs much more to make than the Volcano does, even though it sells for a fraction of the cost.

vapeguy,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Sad that you had to sell your volcano. I'd like to pick one up specifically because I don't like the bag on the EQ (I mostly use the whip). But sadly that purchase will take a back seat to the Vapexhale Cloud.

Tom

tdavie,
Great post AAB1, you might want to repeat that information in the Volcano-specific thread if you haven't done so already. I've seen a volcano with its dress up but don't have the electric or mechanical know-how to deem it as being ridiculously overpriced... Just comfortably so :lol:

What's wrong exactly with the Extreme's bag blowing? I've heard some people complain about the whip hits actually but very rarely about the bags. I've never used or even seen a Extreme in person but I know there's alot of variation in packing technique, debate on which bowl is best to use, whether you should jury rig a little steel wire in there to raise the screen, what fan speed it should be blowing at... That's just what I've picked up second hand, so there's ALOT you can do to try and make a better bag of vapor. Interesting to note that while the far less expensive Extreme and Herbalaire can control their air rate, the first through electrical means and the HA through physical, that the Volcano has a completely fixed air rate. One more ding against it, really.

charliedontsurf,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The only real knock against the EQ bags is that there is no valve like the volcano has. So you have to cover it with your thumb or whatever to keep goodies from escaping. That is one of the reasons that I don't do bags with mine.

But it's great for whip or bong rips.

:2c:

Stu,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
charliedontsurf said:
What's wrong exactly with the Extreme's bag blowing?

Nothing wrong with the bag blowing, I just don't like the lack of an included valve system or bag locking mechanism. Which is why I stopped using the bags (tastewise, effectwise and ease on the throat I all think superior in the bag. I want to be able to put the bag down, do something else, and then finish the bag later. I used tygon tubing and a stopcock valve from a separatory funnel but it proved unsatisfactory to me, and I still wanted to be able to lock the bag to the Extreme when filling (which I know I can't do).

I really want a Volcano and I probably should have purchased a Digit when a local shop was selling it for $560 Cdn (when the Cdn dollar was worth less than the US dollar; about a year ago).

Damn it seems like Craig Ferguson has been on for hours....guess the edibles are kicking in.

Tom

tdavie,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Aab1, though I am sure you did open your Volcano, I am not sure you have correctly analyzed its guts, on the pricing side of the analysis.
Production in Germany, qualified employees, extremly expensive nylons and aluminium, a beast water-pump (compared to the computer fans of the Q) etc... Anyhow, You clearly prefer your Q since the beginning and that cannot be criticized... I am on the other side though: airpath of the Q going through the electronics, poor building quality, average and unfriendly bag blower, airy whip hits (or you need to develop NASA technics to get the rip you want -temperature, elbow pack, wire for the cyclone, etc), unfriendly device for washing/changing bags/newbies/guys with 2 left hands/concentrates...
I'll stop there, cause the Q is a good vaporizer for it's price, no doubt!

FLskwat,

bender175

You could probably use a rubber band to seal your bags or a clothe pin or clamp or something if you want to set it down for a few minutes. Just got to figure out how to macguyver it :p

bender175,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
If you think the Volcano is not to impressive on the inside please don't open your EQ. You will be :(

elmomuzz,
FLskwat said:
Production in Germany, qualified employees, extremly expensive nylons and aluminium, a beast water-pump (compared to the computer fans of the Q) etc... Anyhow, You clearly prefer your Q since the beginning and that cannot be criticized... I am on the other side though: airpath of the Q going through the electronics, poor building quality, average and unfriendly bag blower, airy whip hits (or you need to develop NASA technics to get the rip you want -temperature, elbow pack, wire for the cyclone, etc), unfriendly device for washing/changing bags/newbies/guys with 2 left hands/concentrates...
I'll stop there, cause the Q is a good vaporizer for it's price, no doubt!

Excellent points well made. Build quality of Volcano components always seems very high, and how many vaporizers have pieces which can be cleaned in a dishwasher?

Still. :lol:

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom