Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

MauiSon

Here are some shots of my black walnut unit [with elk hide base]:

I think you can see my plug has a small gap on the right side (I'm okay with it) and the elk has some fluffiness on the edges (I think the elk hide was a bit too spongy [fermented in brains?] to hold together well). This unit heats better than the cherry PD I gave to my auntie - light to dark brown ABV from the get go :D. However, the heat transfer to the plug is somewhat surprising. Does everyone's plug get hot to the touch?

Wiring.jpg

PDPplug.jpg
PDPlogo.jpg

PDPbottom.jpg

MauiSon,

stinkmeaner

Nice collection you have minnesnowta, I love that VG Circ and vap-milk shot with it. I see you have the snowman out in May, don't tell me you are one of those people who leave their Christmas lights up all year too :p

stinkmeaner,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Lol that's my mom. The whole thing lights up I'm still not sure why it's out. I noticed that right after I posted it :rolleyes:

minnesnowta,

stinkmeaner

At this point you might as well leave it out for next year. I will say it one more time, that VG Circ is classy, just something about it.
Which color pd do use like more, use more?

stinkmeaner,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Only the walnut pd is mine. I didn't even get to try the alder... It's being tempermental and we were usin the heatwand waaaay more that night. I got new glass comin that will get more than enough pictures taken of it. The pd is gonna work amazingly on the gridded ash catcher :cool:

minnesnowta,

Gink

Great pictures of the walnut. Makes me happy that's the wood I ended up choosing.

Gink,

Willeh

Mines shipped too :D, I hope mine wasnt the one with the forgotten wire though :ko:
In the case that it was, is there any other cheap wire I could get at a electronics store that would suffice?

Willeh,

Purple-Days

Short answer, no. When you open the kit, there is an electronics pack. Look for two types of wire one is solder and wrapped like a spring. The other is the hook up wire. If it's missing a new wire will be on the way as quick as you e-mail and the post office opens. Most of the missed wire has been shipped already.

Oh. Sorry, I forgot to answer the heat migration. Yes, the heat from the resistor flows down the wiring. Conduction. Your pics show another of the PD innovations, maybe for the first time... ;) the stainless screws used as heat sinks, the threads of the screw dissipate heat back into the body, under the heat exchanger, before it goes on to the jack. This came from my work to diminish the heat migration into heat sensitive LEDs. I needed it at one time, and thought it was a good thing, for other reasons, later. Things work out sometimes. :cool:

Purple-Days,

OrganicVapor

Mine arrived today while i was at work :)

glad ive got a 4-day weekend, starting now, to assemble and enjoy it..

when looking at the instructional DVD i noticed there was no smaller muslin bag, w the copper cup, or Buzz Butter in my kit.. i checked the box and everything about 20 times after i noticed that; to make sure nothing else was missing... interestingly enough, it Does have all the wires and other parts.. TBH i'm not really worried about having the cup or that stuff, i'm actually considering NOT sanding mine down, i kinda like the turned wood feel.. just wanted to mention it on here to let Tom know..

and now off to begin assembly..:cool:

OrganicVapor,

Budz Bunny

Man I cant wait to get one of these. I can remember using my dads wood lathe when I was a kid. I bet I made 100 candlesticks!

Budz Bunny,

Purple-Days

Just write us an e-mail. OrganicVapor

See? That's why I'm gonna put the idiot proof picture on the wall. :uhoh:

Actually the other day I was knee deep and not enough room. Everything was sorta ready at once and not enough room to work, but no excuse. I try to pack each package so the pieces all fit identical, one box to the next, this should have showed me I missed something on yours. And yes, the small muslin bag hodls the buzz butter and the copper cup.

You really should, put some finish on the wood. It will get dirty and stained. Just e-mail and I will get your stuff in the morning mail.

Pammy left this morning to visit a friend. Caught the morning crop duster out of crescent City. So with packing and getting ready things have been hectic around P-D Land. Sorry guys and girls. I will learn and improve the system. Even if it means idiot proof pictures on the wall. Should be funny, but effective. :lol:

The lathe is a blast. Pammy bought me some nice tools for X-Mas. I'm a bit intimidated, but I am gonna learn to turn bowls some day. :2c:

Purple-Days,

MauiSon

Oops, sorry if I revealed a 'trade secret':ninja:, I thought my wiring job might relate to the conduction issue. Good to hear that the heat conduction is normal - I failed to check that on my auntie's PD before sending it. Just another satisfied customer showing off his kit results here. :D

MauiSon,

Purple-Days

The PD has no secrets.

Others manufacturers might not want to show what's inside their product, (and some have even asked for the removal of internal pics :lol: ) but we are proud of our materials and design. I have always thought the wiring scheme was solid and a neat way to to help disipate heat. But you can't eliminate all the heat.

Glad you had a fun build. :D

Purple-Days,

Plant

He Tom did you stop with the international orders can't find them on the page anymore?

Plant,

Purple-Days

International stuff has been really frustrating. We have never lost an International package. They all eventually get there.

But, some of the customers have been very difficult to deal with (and I'm not talking about a language barrier). And it's not a recent issue, this has been a struggle in certain countries.

If somebody wants to write, and they seem reasonable, sure, we will deal with them, but an open buy page for Internationals is out.

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

I'm sure you are not.

Problem is, once it's in the customers country, there isn't anything we can do. We can't rush customs, or the country's postal workers. But, some think we should be able to.

And it isn't just the customer.

Just two days ago we get a package back from France. This was a gift sent months ago to a friend, to an address that we have sent several things to. Returned undeliverable. Postal workers in certain countries, and France isn't the only one, just don't want to deliver a package from America. So certain countries are just not on our list anymore. France and the UK are both off the list. Funny, it's easier to get a package through to Moscow than Paris. I kid you not... :cool:

So, 5 months later my wasted postage and our gift comes back. Bullshit. I looked at Pammy and asked, "Is this the last straw?"

VVV Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, even Russia and many others are still good to go. But when a particular country is a problem as often as not, it's time to quit banging your head. :bang:

Purple-Days,

Plant

i understand, i hope the netherlands won't be a problem but i have had enough sent from the US also vapes so it shouldn't be a problem.
our postal service is pretty quick small country :lol: only customs can take longer but i have time enough and am in no rush it gets here when it gets here

Plant,

Budz Bunny

Purple-Days said:
Funny, it's easier to get a package through to Moscow than Paris. I kid you not... :cool:
Its cool to think that someone in Moscow is vaping with a PD. Wonder what kind of herb the Ruskies get?

Budz Bunny,

Purple-Days

Budz, I'm pretty sure you meant no harm using the term Ruskies.

But, I see too many definitions of that term, as derogatory, 'especially when used by Americans'.

So, it may be taken like 'the N word'. And even if you meant it in a nice way, it may come across, to someone who is sensitive about such things, as a negative. All I'm saying is, it may be taken in a way you never intended. ;)

I did a little look-up (I hate the term 'research' for a google search) and here is what else I found.

Contrary to what some people think, the word 'Ruskie' or 'Rusky' was not coined during the cold war, but the Crimean war, in which the Ottomans fought Russia, later joined by France and the United Kingdom.

Anyway, I wonder the same thing, what are they using? Of course everybody here is familiar with the names Indica and Sativa , but there is a third and it is Russian. Ruderalis. :ko:

Purple-Days,

Mckdenton

tom quick question, how did you come up with the name "pandora kit"?
what did i miss? :/

Pandora
Pandora [ pan dwr? ]

noun
Definition:

1. woman in Greek mythology: in Greek mythology, the first woman, who was sent by the gods with a jar full of evils in order to avenge Prometheus's theft of fire. She opened the jar out of curiosity, thus releasing the evils into the world.

2. small inner moon of Saturn: a small inner natural satellite of Saturn, discovered in 1980 by Voyager 2. It is irregular in shape with a maximum dimension of 110 km (68 mi).

Mckdenton,

Budz Bunny

Purple-Days said:
Budz, I'm pretty sure you meant no harm using the term Ruskies.

But, I see too many definitions of that term, as derogatory, 'especially when used by Americans'.

So, it may be taken like 'the N word'. And even if you meant it in a nice way, it may come across, to someone who is sensitive about such things, as a negative. All I'm saying is, it may be taken in a way you never intended. ;)

I did a little look-up (I hate the term 'research' for a google search) and here is what else I found.

Contrary to what some people think, the word 'Ruskie' or 'Rusky' was not coined during the cold war, but the Crimean war, in which the Ottomans fought Russia, later joined by France and the United Kingdom.

Anyway, I wonder the same thing, what are they using? Of course everybody here is familiar with the names Indica and Sativa , but there is a third and it is Russian. Ruderalis. :ko:
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I certainly meant no offense. Russia would be at the top of my list of places to visit. I fell the Russian and American people have a lot in common.

Budz Bunny,

Beezleb

Mckdenton said:
tom quick question, how did you come up with the name "pandora kit"?
what did i miss? :/

Pandora
Pandora [ pan dwr? ]

noun
Definition:

1. woman in Greek mythology: in Greek mythology, the first woman, who was sent by the gods with a jar full of evils in order to avenge Prometheus's theft of fire. She opened the jar out of curiosity, thus releasing the evils into the world.

2. small inner moon of Saturn: a small inner natural satellite of Saturn, discovered in 1980 by Voyager 2. It is irregular in shape with a maximum dimension of 110 km (68 mi).
Heck, its pretty cool either way if it would be one of them. I mean from a certain point of view, number one is exactly what they would see.

Beezleb,

Purple-Days

Glad you took no offense, Budz. :tup: Yes, I have a great respect for the Russian people. I sometimes visit
http://rt.com/ Russia Today interesting some times.

^^^ Beez, got in while I was writing. :)

Mckdenton, this isn't a short answer, sorry.

Where did the name Pandora come from?

Definition 1 is the origin. :cool: Though, I think you might say, 'the jar was predestined to be opened'.
Let's say, it's amusing that her curiosity is blamed. ;)

[ I am into astronomy and the space program. I find something interesting on http://www.spaceref.com/ nearly every day. It's not from there. ]

Back to definition 1, it points out that Pandora and the jar were sent, "to avenge Prometheus's theft of fire".

Early in the development of my stainless steel heat exchanger design I nearly failed. Stainless is tricky stuff (heat and flame don't work well (in a normal atmosphere)). The back story is in the PD experience thread. I nearly gave up.

Then a couple days later there was an epiphany. The 'trick' was a crossbar, that you see in our design, combined with a bottom flare and 'fin' washers (spring tension) and post tensioning the flare. Unique and new. And eliminating the need for welding or brazing in this style heat exchanger.

What about patents? Well, I have confronted that question before this. (another story)

Patents take money to obtain, long before any revenue is seen. And trying to defend a patent can take more money than it is worth in the long run. Patents are for the big guys, who are playing the game against other big guys who can't afford to not play fair. And the playing field is even more un-level now that China is our great ally. Rip-offs are tolerated, because there is no way to defend against the modern industrial espionage, unless, you are a huge corporation. Even those big boys, are finding that patents are worth nothing, if you have a player who doesn't play by the rules.

Side note: Stanley Kubrick made at least two of my 10 favorite movies.
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb is my favorite.
For those that don't know, it is about a doomsday device. Of course, the twist is, that nobody was told it existed.

Within the first few days after coming up with the crossbar - post tensioning - stainless steel design (BTW the radiating fins came much earlier in the design) I saw that this was vulnerable to copy cats. And of course I had no resources to obtain a Patent or defend it world-wide, never will.

That's when the idea of a doomsday device came about. The 'Pandora Plan' was from that time, and the name is too, about three days after the crossbar. The Pandora Plan eventually became the Pandora Kit a few months ago.

The idea was this, if I was copied (commercially) I would make my design public.

Hey, I have a Wife and dog, and bread ain't cheap...

So I make some money by doing the hard stuff (boring and metal work) that take special tools, and I gather and modify the materials, make sensible instructions, etc... But the DVD (build info) is out there and the design is out there, fully described now. You, or anyone, can build as many as you want, from scratch. Makes it an unlikely business investment when dozens can do the same tomorrow.

I never kept any secrets around here. If you read the PD Exp. thread someone says I did everything but provide an X-ray (or some similar comment). But a condensed, organized build plan was never given.

That's where the Pandora Kit name comes from. Shortly after I was copied (including the use of a picture of a Purple-Days Diffuser [which I turned and built right here] on their commercial website) I released the PDP.

And for those who think I copied another before me... I improved on previous work, in many ways. That's good engineering. We aren't driving on Fred Flintstone's tires anymore. I'm not an engineer, but three years, at a real drafting table, sorta makes me think of things in that way. Improvement is not copying.

Top Bottom