Other prized possessions aside from vaporizers.

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
hmm I was thinking my mandolins?..... fishing rods?..... and then I clicked your link :o a possesion to be prized indeed! :lol:

edit- actually my better half uses a thing like that to do something to her thighs. Don't quite know what exactly

WatTyler,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Just a quick question, but is this a completely general 'show off your stuff' thread, or do you actually use that funny little device when vaping somehow? :lol:

OhTheAgony,

LivingInSpin

Wow, it's tough to pick just one or two!

I guess my most recent favorites are these:

A nice showerhead and a nice carry all bag.

LivingInSpin,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I just spend several minutes trying to figure out how to fix that showerhead to a standard downstem until I realized what it's actually for, some mighty good weed this is :lol:

I guess this topic isn't just for vape related items, so may I present to you the love of my material life: <3

OhTheAgony,

LivingInSpin

^^ Hot damn! That is a mighty fine ride there. I don't know much about bikes, but that looks slick. The colors are perfect. Reminds me of the '80s, very retro looking. :cool:

LivingInSpin,

hereatlast

I don't know what I would do without my bike. Oh its a bicycle :p

PAKEbicycle.jpg

My record collection, musical equipment, book collection and some random gadgets are at the top of my list as well.

hereatlast,
Reactions: Enchantre

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
You're pretty spot on in your observations LIS, it's a 1986 Honda CB700S Nighthawk. They never officially soled them here in Europe so it was imported from the USA in the late '90's, there is also a Canadian and a Japanse 750cc model but those were only made until 1985 and never came out in this color scheme.
I wish Honda would still build these bikes. It's really really agile yet also very comfortable (if you don't mind the wind), does 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds (quarter mile in under 12 seconds) and has hydraulic valve lifters and a drive shaft instead of a chain which make it pretty much maintenance free. I'll stop now... :lol:

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
I'd probably say my fender american strat, my longboards, my music collection, my compooper, and my glass,

wowthisisrandom,
WatTyler said:
hmm I was thinking my mandolins?..... fishing rods?..... and then I clicked your link :o a possesion to be prized indeed! :lol:

edit- actually my better half uses a thing like that to do something to her thighs. Don't quite know what exactly

I have a 50 year old Harmony Mandolin sitting right next to me, play it all the time, as well as a cheap-ass Rogue acoustic-electric.

I honestly, sadly in a way, don't feel all that attached to any of my possessions. I don't feel any of them are truly unique, I know 99% of them could be readily replaced at a reasonable rate, and that they are one of thousands to begin with. I love my Fender Jazz Bass, but it's about as unique as the toy in a Happy Meal. At least vintage cars mean something to me, but even they are just products out of a factory, only made important by the fact that the other 90% have turned into rusted, gutted out wrecks, and this one hasn't.

On the topic listed a few above, I just installed a low-flow shower head and immediately put the old one back in after trying it. It's like that old Seinfeld episode, man, you just can't get the F***ing soap out of your hair. I don't even know how men or women with long hair would deal with it.

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: TexasBelle

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
It's fun and healthy to the spirit to get rid of stuff. I like giving certain things away to the needy or sometimes just the wanting (craigslist free stuff postings)
that have little monetary value. or clothes or shoes, etc.
my challenge is my record collection. i have easily 3,000 LPs in the living room of my one bedroom apt and i know that now is the time to sell whatever i want to sell from it,
which is at least half of it. actually if i could downsize to 500 choice LPs I'll have a nice and more manageable collection.
the reason i say that now is the time to sell is because generationally my (mid fifties) generation is the generation that would care most about most of this stuff
and as we age we care less about it. I mean to say that at age 70 it's doubtful that there'd be much yearning for dave clark five LPs or japanese pressings of king crimson lps.
seems to be an enormous hassle just dealing with the selling of these, i guess on ebay. one at a time is going to take forever.
regardless of how it pans out, any resistance that i might have had about selling my records - thinking - man what if i get rid of an album that i really want to hear -
ultimately so what? if that ever happens and a cd is unacceptable i could always buy it again if it means that much to me, but it won't.
mostly i'm looking forward to gaining empty space and less, i wouldn't say clutter because they're all in racks but less... stuff.

JeffP, I also know what a joy it can be to just give away or sell shit off. It's nice just seeing the floor and the corners of any given room after it's been full of clutter for so long, you know?

I for one am totally interested in Japanese pressings of King Crimson LPs. Frank Zappa, Sly, Funkadelic, Floyd, KC, Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane - anything like that, I'm personally interested in, and there are alot of other people, too.

Don't rely on crappy CD remasterings to enjoy your old favorite albums. Remember, that freshly minted CD is the remastering of the 12th engineer to get ahold of it, and he probably doesn't even like the given band or artist, so he'll just mix it anyway he cares to. Vocals get pushed up, basses get mixed out, hiss is removed and along with it all sense of "being in the room" created by the recording. The appreciative mutters or the odd fit of clapping from the audience are excised. It's like colorizing Gone With The Wind, but many times worse given some truly great bands and artists.

Listen to almost any given original Beatles album, then go out and buy a CD off the shelf and see how they sound back to back. It's like night and day. I think people today expect a certain "quality" clean, clinical sound to their recordings, which was impossible given the technology of the past, and indeed, would only stifle the creative output of those making the music even if it were possible.

It's as if someone were selling prints of Van Gogh or some other great artist's work, but they though they'd best change the lighting and the contrast and, my, maybe draw in a happy little tree over in the corner there.

Rant rant rant...

LivingInSpin

Charliedontsurf and jeffp, right on. As I get older and see more of life, I have a very hard time caring too much about physical things that aren't alive. It comes, it goes.

LivingInSpin,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
Couldn't live without my neti-pot. I've always had sinus problems and now rinsing my nasal passages with at least a pint of saline 2 or 3 times a day is as routine for me as brushing my teeth or hitting my zap.

Albert Hofmann,
Reactions: Enchantre

LivingInSpin

Albert Hofmann said:
Couldn't live without my neti-pot. I've always had sinus problems and now rinsing my nasal passages with at least a pint of saline 2 or 3 times a day is as routine for me as brushing my teeth or hitting my zap.

Wow, I've seen those. Does it take a bit to get used to or is it comfortable from the first?

LivingInSpin,

hereatlast

Nice to see some vinyl heads in here, anybody participate in Record Store Day this past Saturday? Unfortunately I had to work and my local store only got one of my preorders...didn't get the time to take advantage of the deals/steals.

I often buy CD's of newly released material. That said, most of my (small) record collection consists of newer material (of the past 20 years or so) as well. I'm always looking for vinyl releases of new music I'll be purchasing but they don't always get pressed obviously. A recent trend I've really been appreciating is the inclusion of a digital download card with the purchase of a vinyl...at home I'll listen to the record but its nice to be able to take it with me as well. I'll opt for CD's over digital downloads any day though, I always feel weirdly cheated buying from iTunes, Amazon, etc. Further, I still read liner notes and production credits obsessively, something I miss dearly with digital formats. I've got more stuff than I need (though a relatively small space restricts me nicely) but (hardy-copy) music isn't a compromise I'm ready to make. :lol:

hereatlast,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I love headphones. I have a pair of custom JH-5 (Jerry Harvey) audio IEM's that are purple. I'll post a pic up if I can find a picture. I love them :)

Elluzion,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
LivingInSpin said:
Albert Hofmann said:

Wow, I've seen those. Does it take a bit to get used to or is it comfortable from the first?
At first I was a little grossed out by the idea of it, but when something so simple gives such complete relief from something you've suffered from your entire life, you tend to embrace it and love it. Such is the case with the neti-pot and saline nasal irrigation.

Albert Hofmann,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
LivingInSpin said:
Charliedontsurf and jeffp, right on. As I get older and see more of life, I have a very hard time caring too much about physical things that aren't alive. It comes, it goes. When it goes it gets gifted to those that would appreciate it. Or sold.

If it won't all fit in a small U-Haul and can be loaded by one person in 8 hours or less, stuff gets jettisoned.

The absurdity of having such a huge record collection, though. What was the motive? There was a sense that it mattered when it was happening and when it was happening a sense that it will matter more later on. It didn't. A mistake of the intellect. A customer of mine told me recently that it's good to have less, "just in case you have to leave where you are immediately."
She told me this in her home. That was interesting, I had never thought of that.

jeffp,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

eddyfrancis

I love all of my things almost equally because of the energy/time people have invested in them and the materials from which they are made. My favorite ones seem to have more invested and perhaps use rare or exotic materials. However nothing I possess comes in comparison to some things that belong to a large group of people, for example an electron microscope or a particle accelerator.

Maybe as a physicist my opinion is biased. What I want to do with my life is help make the world a nicer place through materialism, although I hope that is an incorrect use of the word. I need possessions to feel alive, but they are common possessions not just my own. :peace:

eddyfrancis,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
jeffp said:
Off the top of my head I would say that this is a can't live without living accessory -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001I8ZT4

Very satisfying to use, seems to improve everything. Best six dollars I've spent in a while.

i thought i was the only who uses a scalp brush, lol

my computer is my favorite thing, or the internet (and internet pr0n)

EDIT: but i still have several hundred pounds of record albums, can't part with them even if i don't pull them out anymore

VWFringe,

crawdad

floatin
Elluzion said:
I love headphones.

same here, its nice to drop into another world through the inducement of sound. ever since i was about 6 or 7 i have had headphones that rarely would see a break beyond a few hours, got out of it for many years and recently got back into it...nice. my first was the one of the original sony walkmans.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i find it very very hard to think of something that i truly prize as one of my possessions as i find that whole idea of possessing something to be unnatural, would prefer to answer the question "items earned through your own effort/involvement that hold a significance through emotional attachment" and while its likely the same as originally worded, i felt the need to reword, for me at least.

to that id list....toys i grew up with that i still have, furniture that i used in my room when very young that i now have in my son's room, pictures i have of me and family when i was very young, all of the living things i have planted around my house (especially the veggies/fruits, feel like i sort of own them, from seed too!), and i guess my hammock, but i could do without it if needed.

crawdad,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
VWFringe said:
jeffp said:
Off the top of my head I would say that this is a can't live without living accessory -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001I8ZT4

Very satisfying to use, seems to improve everything. Best six dollars I've spent in a while.

i thought i was the only who uses a scalp brush, lol

my computer is my favorite thing, or the internet (and internet pr0n)

EDIT: but i still have several hundred pounds of record albums, can't part with them even if i don't pull them out anymore

I enjoy the scalp brush at least as much as I enjoy my back brush. These are things I enjoy. As I've gotten older, though, the things that I value, though, are more intangible and alot less materialistic. A friend of mine told me that he wants to have his record collection in shelves above his bed. I warned him that this is dangerous, that they can fall while he's sleeping and kill him. He said, yes, but what a way to go.

Top Bottom