Oregon?

bstar

There's a chance that due to some events and planets aligning, we might be able to move to Oregon this year (from Ohio). This is mostly a "fun" move since it's the first time we'll get to choose where we move. Among some other personal reasons we have, one of mine is the legality of pot there.

So just to kind of get us psyched about it, does anybody here have something to share for someone thinking of moving there? All I hear is it's "swimming in weed" but I want a real idea of what it's like living there. Prices? How easy is it to get the medical card and medical mj? What's the community like? Good places to live in or around Portland? Anything you want to say not about pot too of course. :) Thanks!

bstar,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
if and when you get there don't pronounce the name of the state like most ohioans do. it's not "ore-gahn". :lol:

SSS,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I've only lived on the West Coast, so my frame of reference may be screwed up. I've lived on the boarder between Oregon and Washington since 1973.

Portland is about an 1 1/2 hr to the coast, 1 1/2 to 2 hours to Mt Hood (skiing). Its located at the confluence of two rivers: The Willamette and the Columbia (the third largest US river). Salmon fishing is big. The city is small by US standards, which is a plus, and it seems to me to have the stuff I like. I like music, and Portland seems to be a regular stop for musicians. I like the availability of traveling Broadway plays (Best of Broadway series). Portland has an opera and a symphony, if that's important to you.

The people seem friendly, prejudice is more covert. You have to get used to rain. I think the average is 37.5 inches a year. It was a drought year my first year, and, coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, It seemed to me that it rained every day.

Because sunny days are fewer, when its nice, its incredibly nice. You can see Mt. Hood from many Portland areas. The Summer months, to me, seem to start in July and go through mid October. The Spring (like right now) is an incredible riot of color. Rhododendrons and azaleas love the rainy, acidy soil. I love driving through mature neighborhoods. But guess what? Its overcast. Grey becomes your new sky color.

The winters are mostly mild, I suspect, compared with Ohio. Its a kind of a Marine climate, what with the Columbia River and being so close to the coast. It may snow a few days or not at all in this northern part of the Willamette Valley. It snows in the surrounding mountains.

I am a Washington resident, so I know nothing on the medical pot aspect, but there seems to be plenty around as to availability.

As to prices, I suspect housing is more expensive than Ohio. Its cheaper than California. But then, practically everything is cheaper than California. Beautiful coast. No hurricanes, rarely a tornado, we got earthquake faults. Like many places on the West Coast, they say we are overdue for the "Big One".

Washington has no State Income Tax. Just a sales tax. Oregon has no sales tax, but has a State Income Tax. Property taxes, as a rule, are cheaper in Washington. If you work in Oregon, but live in Washington, you still pay Oregon Income Tax.

macbill,

daddygreenjeans

Med Card Holder
I've lived on the west coast my whole life and couldn't be happier. Spent 18 years in the Cali Bay Area, ick!!! Lived in Roseburg OR, Portland OR, and now in Bend OR. Absolutely LOVE Bend, this place is cray! We have skiing like 20 minutes up the road. Everything an outdoor person would want. Fishing, hiking, camping, tons of lakes... you get the picture. The coast is about 3 hours away from us. We have mild summers, maybe a week of 100 deg weather then the rest of the summer is like 90s. Then the winters it gets cold and we get a few inches to a few feet of snow depending on the year. Nothing like OH tho....

As for MMJ, so long as you have a qualifying medical condition it's not hard to get a card. You just find one of the many "clinics" that offer their services, pay some bucks and they have THEIR doctor sign your paperwork then you send it in to the state.

Prices here are the norm I would guess... $40 an eighth and Z's can vary. Almost everything Bend is home grown. Not much is imported I would think.

As for me, I don't have to buy it anymore :) Since I have my MMJ card I have someone grow it for me. I can't grow for certain reasons so I'm allowed to designate a grower. My grower gives me an ounce a month free then ounces are $75 and this is medical grade yum yums! I've also gotten hash and butter from my grower for free. He's my new best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Oregon if you can't tell. Portland is the sheet also, loved it there. It rains a LOT but that never bothered me. Either would suite me well. The more south you go the hotter it gets. Grants Pass and Medford get pretty stinkin hot in the summer, I'd not suggest going there lol.

daddygreenjeans,

bstar

Oh my gosh you're all so helpful, thanks! :D

I pronounce it "Or-i-gin" with a hard g, I don't know if that's right, ha ha.

It sounds very much like a nicer Ohio as far as the weather. I'm by Lake Erie so I get the idea. Rain doesn't bother me although I guess we might see, ha ha.

Housing and things are more from what I hear. My husband's job does help with higher living expenses but I don't know if it would be enough to cover all the extra (doubt it!). We're good at living cheap but rent would be my concern. Time to start browsing CL.

Sounds like pot is around twice as much, but I guess that depends on quality. I will gladly pay a bit more if I can get it legally. :D And I'm positive the quality is better! I would love to grow but knowing if that's possible is a long way off. I read in some article that home growers get more home invasions. Anyone know if that's true?

Getting more excited now. We're waiting to see if we can buy a house, and if not we're super motivated to move to Portland. Actually edgeing very much toward hoping we don't get the house!

bstar,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
bstar said:
I pronounce it "Or-i-gin" with a hard g, I don't know if that's right, ha ha.
It sounds more like " or-a-gun". Actually, the 'a' sound is closer to the sound of 'e' in "the": an upside down 'e'.

There is a slight regional accent, if it is still around. You "warsh" your clothes. I live in "Warshington". It used to drive me crazy.

macbill,

upriver

combustion-free
I live in and love Oregon. Its a huge state; I'll assume you are considering Portland or Eugene. I live in the middle of nowhere right off the coast. Its paradise here but I like to tell people it rains too much so they won't move here and ruin it.

Getting a card is not nearly as easy as in CA. You need to go to a real doctor 6 months in advance and have a record of your condition. The "easy" THC clinics demand that you have already done this. It varies by county and region, but if you are able to remain low key, the card is probably not necessary as it is in harsher states. It would be in your best interest not to sell or deal, but simply grow your own for yourself.

upriver,

bstar

macbill said:
It sounds more like " or-a-gun". Actually, the 'a' sound is closer to the sound of 'e' in "the": an upside down 'e'.

There is a slight regional accent, if it is still around. You "warsh" your clothes. I live in "Warshington". It used to drive me crazy.
I have a few relatives from WV with that accent!

bstar,

bstar

upriver said:
I live in and love Oregon. Its a huge state; I'll assume you are considering Portland or Eugene. I live in the middle of nowhere right off the coast. Its paradise here but I like to tell people it rains too much so they won't move here and ruin it.

Getting a card is not nearly as easy as in CA. You need to go to a real doctor 6 months in advance and have a record of your condition. The "easy" THC clinics demand that you have already done this. It varies by county and region, but if you are able to remain low key, the card is probably not necessary as it is in harsher states. It would be in your best interest not to sell or deal, but simply grow your own for yourself.
Do you know if the prior record has to be from an Oregon doctor? I do have a record of the condition (or at least being treated for it). It's from an Ohio doctor though. NP if you don't know, your info is very helpful! :)

I do plan to grow wherever we end up. The less other people have to be involved the better. Wish I could start now, ha ha.

bstar,

bstar

Well just to update if anyone is interested, we will hopefully find out about the house (and Oregon) on Monday. :uhoh:

bstar,

the ob

all good in the hood.
everyone loves it here. if you can deal with the grey days, it is the greatest place in the country. I have lived in many different cities and this (portland) is my favorite. :2c:

the ob,

bstar

Thanks!

We didn't get the house so to Oregon we go. :D Well after we get all the details ironed out, like where we will eat and sleep, lol. Very excited!

Ohio has prepared us well for the gray sky. My husband calls it the "Cloud of Doom," ha ha. He's ready to get out of here I think.

bstar,

the ob

all good in the hood.
you will not be sorry. It is a amazing place. great food, great people. just a great quality of life.

the ob,
Top Bottom