Ordering a new showerhead downstem- have some questions (Got it!)

Carbon

I wanted to wait for the local shop to get one in so I could make sure the fit was right before buying one, but I'm getting jerked around by them as they can never give me a straight answer on when they'll be getting more in. I even left my name and number so they could call me when more stuff comes in, but I have doubts they'll even follow up. I want an Alex K showerhead because I've heard good things and because it's unbranded, and I really do not want a logo on my downstem.

So my main questions were about measurements. Since I'll have to buy this thing online, the last thing I want to do is order it, receive it, and have it not fit properly. I was hoping the other members at FC could help me make sure this does not happen.

What length do I need and how is it measured? My current downstem is 5.5 inches long, but that is measuring the length of the entire piece. I have heard something about downstems being measured from the point after the frosted GonG connecting piece. What is the story on this? I also don't know if it's 14 or 18 mm or what a downstem that says 14mm/18mm means. I can say that this one is fairly uniform. The joint where it meets with my pipe and its female portion where it accepts a glass bowl is very slightly thicker than the rest of the stem, but again not by a lot. To give you some scale, the top opening (where the bowl goes in) is just big enough for my pinky finger, and the opening is slightly smaller than the circumference of a dime.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want a picture with some things next to it for scale purposes. I'm really not well-versed in this aspect of the cannabis culture.

Carbon,

Nycdeisel

I was in this exact dilemma, heres the deal

whether its a low profile bushing or not(usually specified), downstems are usually measured from the top of the male fitting all the way down to the end of the showerhead.

I ordered one custom length through Etsy, so I was able to describe and confirm this. With other sites you should read the fine print about their measurements.

Nycdeisel,

Carbon

Nycdeisel said:
I was in this exact dilemma, heres the deal

whether its a low profile bushing or not(usually specified), downstems are usually measured from the top of the male fitting all the way down to the end of the showerhead.

I ordered one custom length through Etsy, so I was able to describe and confirm this. With other sites you should read the fine print about their measurements.

Okay so what do you mean from the top of the male fitting? As in it is measured from where the frosted glass joint ends all the way to the tip of the stem or what? I'd make a picture to show what I'm talking about, but I don't have any graphics editing programs or anything even close. Mine is about 5.5 inches long total, about 4.5 from tip of stem to just before the frosted fitting, and one could say measured at the middle of the fitting is 5 inches.

Anywhere to get these besides aqualab?

Carbon,

Theo

The female joint is the one in which the bowl goes into. The male joint is the one that goes into the female joint of a bong. Get it? The male one is the one thats inserted and the female one is the one that gets the male inserted into it. Common sense once you think about it. As for measurements, usually it's the top of the male joint(not the bottom) to the bottom of the diffy.

Theo,

Nycdeisel

Theo is right on! Hes got it down.

A few blowers on Etsy can make custom length downstems for good prices. check out the Etsy glass thread for Seller names.

Nycdeisel,

Carbon

Theo said:
The female joint is the one in which the bowl goes into. The male joint is the one that goes into the female joint of a bong. Get it? The male one is the one thats inserted and the female one is the one that gets the male inserted into it. Common sense once you think about it. As for measurements, usually it's the top of the male joint(not the bottom) to the bottom of the diffy.
Haha I get the male and female parts just took me an extra minute to figure it all out. When I checked this reply I had still been up all night and it was like 7am or later. Sounds mine is a little over 5 and 1/4 inches at that point, so I guess that's what I need.

Carbon,

Carbon

Anyone have a discount code for Aqualab Technologies they want to e-mail me? ;)

Carbon,

Carbon

hereatlast said:
Doubtful :D

Best of luck with your purchase.
It was worth a shot. I'm with you though and am about to just order this thing as I can't wait any longer. The worst part of it all is that it's $42 plus shipping. I'm about to pay $50 for a great downstem, but it feels wrong seeing as how that's half what the pipe cost. Oh well. :peace:

Carbon,

Carbon

I got the downstem today. Aqualab used so much packing material that I was in shock. I ordered the downstem and a nylon brush. It came in a huge long box which I then opened. Inside was a bunch of popcorn foam stuff and another, smaller long box. Inside that box was the brush submerged in another sea of popcorn packing material. I also found the downstem which seemed to be wrapped in easily 10 feet of bubble wrap. Needless to say, nothing was broken.

I already love this thing. It's exactly what I wanted. It has no ugly logos like all the other fancy downstems that I've seen. The only thing to tell you who made it is a small signature below the ground joint saying "Alex K." Real classy. I haven't actually used it to vape yet, but I did quite a few A/B clean tests with just water to see what kind of pull/drag I was looking at compared to my gridded downstem (end is chipped off, but all slits are still there so just a bigger hole). It's quite the difference. The showerhead requires much less effort to get going and makes bubbles everywhere, so much so that I'm pretty sure I have to put in slightly less water just to compensate.

It was a pretty penny, but I'm very satisfied with this thing and would recommend it to anyone.

Carbon,
Top Bottom