OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

Peacer666

Are we getting ceramic dust from our PEEK bearings?
Si3N4 ceramic dust withstand 1200 degrees °C, 2192 °F.
PEEK should be ok for vaping expierence.
For me the PEEK is a big upgrade to nylon sliddering rings, but I would prefer without peek at all.
I don´t think that ceramic balls wear out the PEEK, but maybe dirt from the environment.
So why not using a nice hybrid and the badest happening would be a lil SS dust.

Peacer666,

.brew

Are we getting ceramic dust from our PEEK bearings?
I misspoke. I was under the impression a "PEEK" bearing was a brand of full ceramic bearing. I did not realize it's a bearing with ceramic balls in a PEEK (softer than steel) raceway.

But yes a full ceramic bearing would increase the risk of ceramic dust...however one wants to define the severity of such risk for themselves. Presumably in a PEEK bearing the PEEK material will wear over time. Again, what that means for you isn't something that I would think is debatable--you either see it as a problem or you don't. But it's either all a problem or none of it's a problem. I happen to primarily fall in the latter camp. If you fall in the former, you might consider greasing your bearings so any particulate matter can be trapped and removed.

Then you have to worry about the grease. I suggested a food grade grease but that's tested for digestion rather than inhalation and round and round it goes...

...do keep in mind that the pipes I used to smoke my weed decades ago were almost certainly comprised of or at least had lead in them. It's one of the reasons this conversation is pissing me off so much right now (I'm kidding)!

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
The issue wasn't ceramic dust, but steel dust created from the ceramic bearing rubbing against the steel center pole. PEEK bearings avoid this
Thank you for reiterating this point. I'm aware of this too.
I was under the impression a "PEEK" bearing was a brand of full ceramic bearing.
Thanks for the clarification. FWIW I completely agree on the rest of your point.

Last edited:

Peacer666

Somebody knows what a stainless steel is used for the aroma3?

Just wondering, if my earlier posted hybrid bearing with SS/INOX/NIRO rings is harder than the aroma´s SS and will scratch it.
link to the hybrid bearing:

The SKF Explorer 608-2RSL what comes with the aroma is just rolled steel.
Maybe Ben is going with the SKF bearing because it´s steel is softer than the aroma´s SS.
Hope Ben will read this

Peacer666,

Peacer666

Ben uses 304 medical grade stainless steel or gr5 Ti (I think) but will make them out of any material you ask for...all you have to do is ask and pay (I got 316s/s myself).
Wow I need one of them. I have the grinder from united machining what is SS 316.
Does the Aroma 316 model look much brighter or is it looking exact the same way? What a bearing are you using?
Maybe you got a picture....

I heard CVault was creating Evault for concentrrates out of 316 SS because the 304 CVaults sometimes reacts to concentrates or cannabis.
I never had an 304 grinder that reacted in any form from weed. Maybe if you live at the sea it could Idk.

I just can say big up Ben, love your products and your service...btw hope you got all you need for finishing my order

So do you think he would make an aroma out of pink sapphire ruby corundum too, or should we stay in the metal range:)
My hope is still somebody knows if the SS/INOX/NIRO bearing could wear out my post because it could be harder than the lid´s post.
If the hybrid ss ceramic ball bearing with ss cage and ss/inox/niro rings isn´t to hard for the aroma´s post, I think it would be perfect with a lil bit of coconutoil for the cermaic balls in the bearing and maybe for the ring and the post too.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
So do you think he would make an aroma out of pink sapphire ruby corundum too, or should we stay in the metal range:)
He has said he could make a solid silver if it was wanted, probably a bit soft really.
I heard CVault was creating Evault for concentrrates out of 316 SS because the 304 CVaults sometimes reacts to concentrates or cannabis.
My 21liter CVault has rust on the spot welds...I live next to the sea...an easy 7 iron when the tide is in.
I have had a few different bearings in mine but have settled on the PEEK/Ceramic version
316 on the right(with OG NTN bearing),
1675735456445-jpg.44187

Here is the bearing I am using now, the 608,ceramic and PEEK,
608-PEEK-Plastic-bearings-6812-PEEK-Plastic-bearings.jpg_80x80.jpg_.webp

Peacer666

Dear Ben, after getting into the bearing confusion, which one is the best, I´m asking me if one/some groove/s on the aroma´s post for one or more silicon oring/s would be a great solution for contact free metal to metal while closing the lid/bearing over the post.

Last edited:
Peacer666,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Got the UMG 2.0 and I thought it would be SS 316 because in 316 should be more chrome and this, I thought, is what makes the SS 316 brighter than SS304. But was reading it is SS 303 now.

Oh shit yeah not even either haha Oh well I honestly was not a fan of mine at all though not really the place to further discuss that...

I'm going to have to do a cleaning soon, my OMD is still working fine, I just think it will be a little nicer to have it more like new again, and easier before it gets any dirtier too!

.brew

The bearing shouldn't get gunk from normal use. The other option is to simply pop the bearing out when cleaning the top.

.brew,

XpeeN

My Aliexpress PEEK bearing is the same... It makes things easy for sure, I just have to make sure the bearing stays seated to stop any metal-on-metal contact.
Yeah actually my AE PEEK bearing raises up a bit sometimes so I need to make sure it sits all the way in. It happens quite often lately ngl..

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I like it over the harder-cased bearing options as I can adjust the gap for minimal smear build-up in the valley of the grinder.
I just did my third deep clean of my 009/120 and am glad to have the spin toy back as it was down to a few seconds spin time, now up over a minute or 2 again and the bearing seems to be much quieter now...finally run-in?

LesPlenty,

Peacer666

I like it over the harder-cased bearing options as I can adjust the gap for minimal smear build-up in the valley of the grinder.
I just did my third deep clean of my 009/120 and am glad to have the spin toy back as it was down to a few seconds spin time, now up over a minute or 2 again and the bearing seems to be much quieter now...finally run-in?
Maybe a lil bit coconut oil for the balls helps spinning faster and quieter.
Hope it does not spin longer because of the balls are wearing out the peek.
Not that some peek du comes down into the grinder.

Peacer666,

Singularity Walker

Was on the website today and saw a "Preorderly Product" for sale for free. Shipping was still 32.50 so I didn't buy it.

Last edited:
Singularity Walker,
Reactions: LesPlenty

mcscruffy

What could that be?
Guessing either the large Aroma-3 or his new desktop vape?

Regarding earlier messages about soaking the bearings in ISO, Ben said the Better Bearings ones could flash rust which it won't matter about relubricating if that happened. Best to remove the bearing for cleaning if you have any concern and eliminate the potential issue at the source.

.brew

If you want to use ISO on your bearings make sure it's 90%+ in order to avoid flash rust. You could also just use mineral spirits. If you get rust on your bearings you can soak them in white vinegar to remove it...or just repack the grease and ignore it. Re-lubricating a bearing that has flash rust is a non-issue. The bearing won't be ruined it just won't spin as long (but still a lot longer than anyone is spinning a grinder top especially with the inertia from a SS lid).

Top Bottom