OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

farmerpalmersnt

I got in before the payment issues but it wasn't that long ago, and for a Ti one so I'm probably in for a longer wait.

farmerpalmersnt,
I just got my Aroma-3 and this thing is incredible..

Fantastic build quality, feels premium and is a delight to use. Looks great, and doubles as a fidget spinner. Definitely a 'buy it for life' product and well worth it!

Video showing the lid and bearing, next to the Grinderoo Droo it is replacing. I found the grinderoo would sieze up a little when putting the lid on/off, but the Aroma-3 has been flawless.

https://ibb.co/2YMW4zD
20231108-114406.jpg

Last edited:

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Oops...

Threw in some fresh harvest but obviously it was still too moist inside...
That gunked things up (it needed a clean anyhow but this one wet bud made it unevitable...)

First pick off some bits (these will feed my Sticky Brick)

Boil off most dirt in water

Rinse... Meh, better but not there

ISO is a good cleaner but hot ISO is next level! Boil some water, turn fire OFF, insert bowl with ISO and let heat up au bain marie.
Let it enjoy an ISO-steam bath for a few minutes

That's more like it!
Pristine! Good as new!!
Love it!!

Smooth spinning,
clocked it: 4 min 19 seconds!
Nice but 4.20 would have been AMAZING, goddammit!

Love my OMD!
Use it every day!
If you don't have one: get one!!!
There will be no regrets!!

80Sixed

Oops...

Threw in some fresh harvest but obviously it was still too moist inside...
That gunked things up (it needed a clean anyhow but this one wet bud made it unevitable...)

First pick off some bits (these will feed my Sticky Brick)

Boil off most dirt in water

Rinse... Meh, better but not there

ISO is a good cleaner but hot ISO is next level! Boil some water, turn fire OFF, insert bowl with ISO and let heat up au bain marie.
Let it enjoy an ISO-steam bath for a few minutes

That's more like it!
Pristine! Good as new!!
Love it!!

Smooth spinning,
clocked it: 4 min 19 seconds!
Nice but 4.20 would have been AMAZING, goddammit!

Love my OMD!
Use it every day!
If you don't have one: get one!!!
There will be no regrets!!
You 1000% can skip the water boil in the future. Iso, ESPECIALLY warm, is plenty. Just hoping to maybe save you some future time!

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
You 1000% can skip the water boil in the future. Iso, ESPECIALLY warm, is plenty. Just hoping to maybe save you some future time!
Thanks for the suggestion and you are right but i actually do it like that to "save" my ISO somewhat. Now i store it in a little jar to use again for a second run or to clean some stems, otherwise it's completely green and riddled with bits...
;)
And actually have to boil some water anyhow to heat the ISO so doesn't take that much longer i feel..

Last edited:
666Honeybadger,
Reactions: Cheebsy
An absolutely amazing grinder, definitely a considerable upgrade for me compared to the Flower Mill I was previously using and the build quality/aesthetics are second to none whilst the grind itself is consistent and easy.

The free-spinning lid aspect is surpringly therapeutic too, though I'd love to improve it with a better bearing if possible.
Does anybody have any recommendations?

Currently, I'm looking at trying to find an R188 open full ceramic (I'm told 9 ball is the way to go as opposed to 10 due to reduced friction) though the sheer range of available bearings is almost dizzying!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I'm waiting on the tool to change bearings and a couple of bearings, which hopefully Ben will be sending them out this week, but I have had enough time to share my early thoughts.

I am also going to reword a review left by someone else - he was spot on but we explain things differently :

The Aroma 3 uses very sharp teeth to cut the herbs, It doesn’t grind, there is none of the crushing that you often find in other grinders. There is also very little residue left in the cutting chamber after you complete your grind - I wish there was another word that would come to mind, calling this a grinder does it a disservice.

First use, I packed in about 4 good size buds, I squeezed the top on and grabbed hold of the top, ready to have to really force it to get started, and I was surprised at how easy it was to move. Again I turned it and each time it got a little easier, until all of a sudden its spinning for a second or two, and then it finally starts to spin freely again. The bottom easily clam-shell opens to allow you to poor out the herbs with ease and just brush it down. The grind - cut was a really nice fluffy, "medium", "cut" that I have been finding perfect for use in almost all of my devices. I

If you are like me and have arthritic wrist and trying to get a few bowls ready ended with you grabbing your wrists, trying to massage out the pain, then consider giving this grinder a closer look. being threadless there is no screwing or unscrewing the grinder, there is no "accidently" tightening the threading when griding or getting herbs in the thread and gunking up so you can't easily opening it.

Anyway just my initial thoughts, when I get the tool and bearings and play around properly i'll probably annoy everyone with my opinion again

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm waiting on the tool to change bearings and a couple of bearings, which hopefully Ben will be sending them out this week, but I have had enough time to share my early thoughts.

I am also going to reword a review left by someone else - he was spot on but we explain things differently :

The Aroma 3 uses very sharp teeth to cuts the herbs, It doesn’t grind, there is none of the crushing that you often find in other grinders. There is also very little residue left in the cutting chamber after you complete your grind - I wish there was another word that would come to mind, calling this a grinder does it a disservice.

First use, I packed in about 4 good size buds, I squeezed the top on and grabbed hold of the top, ready to have to really force it to get started, and I was surprised at how easy it was to move. Again I turned it and each time it got a little easier, until all of a sudden its spinning for a second or two, and then it finally starts to spin freely again. The bottom easily clam-shell opens to allow you to poor out the herbs with ease and just brush it down. The grind - cut was a really nice fluffy, "medium", "cut" that I have been finding perfect for use in almost all of my devices. I

If you are like me and have arthritic wrist and trying to get a few bowls ready ended with you grabbing your wrists, trying to massage out the pain, then consider giving this grinder a closer look. being threadless there is no screwing or unscrewing the grinder, there is no "accidently" tightening the threading when griding or getting herbs in the thread and gunking up so you can't easily opening it.

Anyway just my initial thoughts, when I get the tool and bearings and play around properly i'll probably annoy everyone with my opinion again

Great points, this is true, and helps explain why it is so effortless for me, the teeth don't grind touching each other getting stuck leaving stuff there, it cuts smoothly, unique experience!

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
Do you know if the tools to change bearings are going to be in stock? Or did you ask Ben to make one for you?
I remember seing a YT video of the tools being prepared a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen them on sale on the website.
I'd be very interested in buying one.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I've got one of the beta bearing pullers. It didn't go well for me. I emailed Ben but this was whilst he was being approached for the job he did for the military and he didn't ever reply. Hopefully he's made some adjustments to the design, the middle of mine that holds the nut end of the bolt failed so I fixed it with a longer threaded bar and a nut and a washer to fix the middle piece, and a wing nut on the other side.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Do you know if the tools to change bearings are going to be in stock? Or did you ask Ben to make one for you?
I remember seing a YT video of the tools being prepared a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen them on sale on the website.
I'd be very interested in buying one.
I spoke to Ben directly about it, I plan on following up on Friday to see how it’s going

80Sixed

Just got mine about a week ago in the northeastern US. It’s decent, the fidget spinner aspect is a fun novelty, but not sure if it grinds(shreds/cuts/whatever) much better than anything else. Going to give it more time. But also there’s always bits of flower left in the grinds area. Not a problem I have with the flower mill at all.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Just got mine about a week ago in the northeastern US. It’s decent, the fidget spinner aspect is a fun novelty, but not sure if it grinds(shreds/cuts/whatever) much better than anything else. Going to give it more time. But also there’s always bits of flower left in the grinds area. Not a problem I have with the flower mill at all.

Keep at it, for me the spinning auto grinds so well, and there is hardly anything left in the chamber for me, which is a stark contrast to most every other grinder I've ever used (and that is regardless of how much I load, and also how dry or how moist the buds)

OMD

Accessory Maker
Hey mate,

You can adjust the teeth clearance to help with this. I made a little video on this but it uploaded in terrible quality sorry.

-------------

Ok! An update on all things OMD:

My international payment issue should be resolved this coming week. It's been quite the challenge to satisfy all the relevant people to enable me to legally export worldwide but its now done and my account is in the process of being opened.

Nearly all the Aroma-3's have been shipped. Thankyou all for your orders! You should be receiving yours very soon if you don't already have it. The ones left to post are custom engraved Aroma-3's, bundle orders (orders with aroma-3 and Aroma-2/Ti), Aroma-2's and custom anodized titanium. Production of the Aroma-2's and Titanium Aroma-3's is complete and i have started assembling and shipping as of today. I am on track to have them all in your hands for Xmas. Based on this info, please reach out to me at info@oldmatedesigns.com if you feel like you should have received tracking notifications and haven't.

Ok, moving forwards:
Soon i will only be offering SKF 608-2RSL Bearings. Link here > SKF 608-2RSL

These bearings are the best i have found to date. They have a unique low friction seal that allows them to spin like a better bearing while having minimal rocking, tight tolerances and a smooth finish to help slide on and off the post. The outside and inside diameter tolerance is super tight. They are made in italy with Italy engraved on the race. With this consistency i will be able to make the post diameter slightly smaller allowing the lid to lift on and off a little easier. (pic of one installed in a titanium Aroma-3 below)

You are still more than welcome to change the bearing out for one that you desire (Ceramic/PEEK/Skate bearings etc). I will have a bunch of bearing tools available as soon as my payments are up and running. The bearing tools have had an awesome tweak to make pressing the bearing in much more effortless.

Here is my secret plan for 2024:
Hire a helper to enable me to make more products
Fine and coarse grind plates
XL Aroma-3
Website overhaul
Increase YouTube content
USA Distributor
New Product development (
Ball Vape
)

Thankyou all so much for the warm first year of OMD. To celebrate my first year i would like to GIVEAWAY A TITANIUM GRINDER to one of the FC members. I have messaged a staff member to see about the best way to go about this. Stay tuned!

Please send me an email at info@oldmatedesigns.com if you have any issues or questions. The emails are constantly coming in, i try my best to answer everyone as quick as i can. It is possible i do miss some sometimes. Feel free to spam me if you don't hear from me in a timely manner (i won't be offended!)

Again thanks everyone!
Ben

farmerpalmersnt

Awesome developments man. Can't wait to see an XL! 😍 Fired over an email about my Ti one. Are you saying this should've shipped now? I'm in UK 👍

ETA, reply received with lightning speed, spot on as always dude

Last edited:
Hey just wondering if anyone’s SS Aroma 3 came with scratches on the bottom? I got mine a week ago and easily the best grinder I’ve had and fun to play with but I just noticed the bottom has a few noticeable scratches, I didn’t notice them when I first got it but maybe I just didn’t see? I have had it on my table for the whole week and haven’t looked at the bottom again till now.

Is it possible my table did it? It’s the only place it’s been since I took it out of the package, Its just a wood table but has a lacquer, I’m not sure it would do that but I don’t know? For now I’m putting it on my table which a cloth underneath just in case.

Top Bottom