OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Would love to know your thoughts on the grind between the two! The more folks that are able to post comparative reviews the better 🙌

I have a FlowerMill which I really love, but the dust issue is something I’d like to not have lingering in the back of my mind. Wish it didn’t have that issue, because the milling function is phenomenal (edit; unless I have pretty moist bud, then it gets gummed up).
In product threads we are not supposed to get into comparisons with other products. You can start a new thread to ask about comparisons, maybe in AskFC forum, get a lot of feedback in one place.
That said, I have both, and the grind on BCG medium is ever so slightly finer than the OM Aroma23 Founders Edition. Both are fluffy! They are so close I don't choose one over the other for any specific vape I use.

Last edited:

Madtater

In product threads we are not supposed to get into comparisons with other products. You can start a new thread to ask about comparisons, maybe in AskFC forum, get a lot of feedback in one place.
That said, I have both, and the grind on BCG medium is ever so slightly finer than the OM Aroma2 Founders Edition. Both are fluffy! They are so close I don't choose one over the other for any specific vape I use.
Question for you.

I have been lurking this thread for quite some time, and instead of going with the aroma-3(like i probably should have) i elected for the FM because of the unique grind method…..although i am contemplating the aroma-3 to replace the FM currently.

My question is, the aroma-3 is a 3 piece with 2 cutting plates and a catch chamber. The aroma 2 is just the 2 cutting plates. How difficult is the 2 to clean as the flower just sits between the 2 cutting plates? I would imagine that if you want finer, you just keep grinding where as the 3 you would need to hold it upside down. So if in the 2 the flower just sits in there being cut, how dirty does it get. Also, how is it emptied…just tip it over into a rolling by tray? Do you have to brush remnants out?

Just asking because i personally do not see the appeal of 2 plate grinders and am curious.. Seems like a lot of work to get the product out of a two plate grinding system. Personal preference i would imagine. I am not talking shit, i am genuinely curious about the thought process.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Would love to know your thoughts on the grind between the two! The more folks that are able to post comparative reviews the better 🙌

I have a FlowerMill which I really love, but the dust issue is something I’d like to not have lingering in the back of my mind. Wish it didn’t have that issue, because the milling function is phenomenal (edit; unless I have pretty moist bud, then it gets gummed up).
The Herb Grinders thread has discussed this a few times:
I like the OMD better than all those. It's second only to the BCG for me. The SCS is fine but jams often for me and needs frequent cleaning. The Herb Ripper was one of my most disappointing cannabis purchases. It is basically just a stainless steel SCS.

So yeah, if I could not get a BCG, I would grab an OMD. It's a little awkward to take around with you but it's a great grinder to have at home. Also I know that he has made improvements since I got my founder's edition.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My question is, the aroma-3 is a 3 piece with 2 cutting plates and a catch chamber. The aroma 2 is just the 2 cutting plates. How difficult is the 2 to clean as the flower just sits between the 2 cutting plates? I would imagine that if you want finer, you just keep grinding where as the 3 you would need to hold it upside down. So if in the 2 the flower just sits in there being cut, how dirty does it get. Also, how is it emptied…just tip it over into a rolling by tray? Do you have to brush remnants out?

Just asking because i personally do not see the appeal of 2 plate grinders and am curious.. Seems like a lot of work to get the product out of a two plate grinding system.
Apologies, I mis-spoke, I have the Aroma-3. Have not used the OM 2 piece, but I have used the plastic S&B grinder, which is a 2 piece. Yes, the more you grind, the finer it gets. easy to "over grind" imo. I prefer just letting the grinder determine the grind, for what that's worth.
And yes, you have to empty it onto or into something (dump it, tap it), you can't scoop anything out with all those teeth in the way. (At least the S&B plastic 2 piece has a separate compartment you can transfer your ground herb into! -not that I'm recommending that one.)
I think two pieces are maybe for taking places and doing small amounts, but the three piece is a more complete solution.

So, I accidentally submerged & soaked my top piece of my Aroma-3 (with the bearing still installed). What's the best bearing option as of late? PEEK? Ceramic? I'd prefer to order from VXB or somewhere in the states versus AliExpress, if possible.

overheat_chilli897,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
What's the best bearing option as of late? PEEK?
I like PEEK 1st, ceramic 2nd.(mine came from Ali)
A couple options (I searched VXB 608 PEEK)

ozeddie

The best thing to do is email Ben directly at info[AT]oldmatedesigns.com
and ask him, this is what I did as i also was checking to see when grinders are available.
so the reason he does not open the flood gates is that Ben really wants to take care of everyone and
does NOT want to be late on deliveries as he is swamped with orders. but if you reach out to him he may
be able to open a slot for you like he did for me(Depending on his existing workload of course?). we just need to work with him on the time. hope this helps
Someone posted on an aussie reddit and advised everyone to "just send your order to his email"

Hope Ben doesn't get spammed by every man and his horse. I'd much prefer to wait until he is ready to take orders through his site.

HumbleLivings

Someone posted on an aussie reddit and advised everyone to "just send your order to his email"

Hope Ben doesn't get spammed by every man and his horse. I'd much prefer to wait until he is ready to take orders through his site.
I rather ask him, I did and he opened one for me thats getting here this week, I mentioned what I did with the hopes it helps someone,
waiting for grinders to be back in stock is also ok, I chose to Not wait and ask and glad I did because if not I would still be waiting I'm getting mine in a few days. its all personal preference, Cheers!

CloudForestWoodcraft

Insta: CloudForestWoodcraft
Accessory Maker
I rather ask him, I did and he opened one for me thats getting here this week, I mentioned what I did with the hopes it helps someone,
waiting for grinders to be back in stock is also ok, I chose to Not wait and ask and glad I did because if not I would still be waiting I'm getting mine in a few days. its all personal preference, Cheers!

That’s why I reached out, had the same mentality - doesn’t hurt to ask, especially if there’s a wait list he can put ppl on!

With that said, it’s been 1.5wks and no response. I can appreciate he’s busy and understand he’s prioritizing what he needs to - but I’m in the market for a grinder, so I just bought a SS BCG 🤷‍♂️.

I’m sure I’ll pick up an Aroma in the future… whenever he starts making them again and hopefully become readily available.

Through text all over the above sounds overly salty, but it’s not meant to be. Just an honest comment from someone who’s interested in these grinders, but ended up going a different route due to availability.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

That’s why I reached out, had the same mentality - doesn’t hurt to ask, especially if there’s a wait list he can put ppl on!

With that said, it’s been 1.5wks and no response. I can appreciate he’s busy and understand he’s prioritizing what he needs to - but I’m in the market for a grinder, so I just bought a SS BCG 🤷‍♂️.

I’m sure I’ll pick up an Aroma in the future… whenever he starts making them again and hopefully become readily available.

Through text all over the above sounds overly salty, but it’s not meant to be. Just an honest comment from someone who’s interested in these grinders, but ended up going a different route due to availability.
The SS BCG has a 6-8 week lead time so you might be able to get ahold of OMD and have an OM3 before it even arrives. Both are the pinnacle of grinders on the market imo.

CloudForestWoodcraft

Insta: CloudForestWoodcraft
Accessory Maker
The SS BCG has a 6-8 week lead time so you might be able to get ahold of OMD and have an OM3 before it even arrives. Both are the pinnacle of grinders on the market imo.

True, though I still haven’t been able to get in contact with Ben, so I’m not on any waitlist currently and the website is still out of stock w/ no ETA on a new drop 🤷‍♂️

Got lucky on the SS BCG, smaller than I’d like, but I’m enjoying it in every other way.

bfc7aj4i367hvo4lsdqe676e7akvfbf.jpg

OMD

Accessory Maker
Hello everyone.

Sorry for the slow replies to my emails. I'm currently getting inundated with emails asking for pre orders and eta on more stock.

I aim to reply to everyone within a few days but sometimes this blows out depending on my workload. Another thing is that often my replies go to people's spam so they aren't received (please check if you haven't heard from me)

I am currently around halfway through my defence job and working night shift to fulfil this commitment. Unfortunately this doesn't leave me much time for anything else during this period.

I cannot make grinders during this time as i simply don't have the machine capacity. All machines are in use.

I understand everyone's frustrations, i get it and im sorry.

I am in the process of purchasing my own dedicated CNC machine for OMD so i can keep parts on the shelf, stock up distributors and develop new products for you all.

I anticipate i will be in full production within 3 months.

I am not comfortable taking anyone's money or opening pre orders until i am sure i can fulfil the orders within a given time frame.

I'm working as hard as i can to make this happen for you all behind the scenes.

Thankyou for your patience during this tedious time.

Thankyou all!
Ben

MCwREN678

True, though I still haven’t been able to get in contact with Ben, so I’m not on any waitlist currently and the website is still out of stock w/ no ETA on a new drop 🤷‍♂️

Got lucky on the SS BCG, smaller than I’d like, but I’m enjoying it in every other way.

bfc7aj4i367hvo4lsdqe676e7akvfbf.jpg
Lovely setup. The tray is gorgeous! Is it your own work?

Last edited by a moderator:
MCwREN678,
Reactions: LesPlenty

mcscruffy

Hey everyone, just a quick one to let you all know that my pre orders are now open for my next batch.

Thanks all!
Sweet, time to knock one person off the Christmas shopping list!

I freaking love my titanium one, dropped it twice before I got used to handling it fully (that spinning top is tricky at first!) and it has come out in mint condition.

I don't get why people complain about the weight, it was actually a decent amount lighter than I expected while still having appropriate heft to aide in handling and grinding.

Didn't think I'd be that into the top as a fidget spinner, but I play with that thing more than myself!

Truly a joy to use (and look at! the custom engraving and anodozing was perfect), though... I ground up an ounce when I first got it and only go through .2gm/day at most usually, if that says anything. I've probably put 2-3oz total through it and it is still very clean overall. Definitely doesn't seem like there's going to be much to maintenance.

Looking forward to seeing how the SS version compares later this year when my buddy receives it!

80Sixed

How are you guys specifying color/magnet on the orders? Not seeing anywhere to leave a comment like it asks

80Sixed,

mcscruffy

How are you guys specifying color/magnet on the orders? Not seeing anywhere to leave a comment like it asks
Should be able to reply to your order confirmation with preferences. That's how I communicated with Ben.

Edit: If you go to your cart when there's a special instructions field you can put notes about color.

Last edited:

DHV8654

What is everybody’s opinion of which bearing to choose? I’m about to preorder one not sure if I should get better bearings or ntn.
Does the top fall off without the magnet?
I don’t need another grinder but this one seems cool as hell and the only one like it.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
What is everybody’s opinion of which bearing to choose? I’m about to preorder one not sure if I should get better bearings or ntn.

Go for the standard better bearing, it spins better longer, I don't think there's any actual noticeable difference otherwise (longevity and durability ehh) and you get the color choices (but I want to try the ceramic)

Does the top fall off without the magnet?

Yes, it will, so get the magnet if that is a concern, I believe the other design changes will make it so the lid is easier to remove, I think I am going to get one with a magnet again for my second because of the other changes actually... My original is not too hard to open honestly now that I'm used to it

I don’t need another grinder but this one seems cool as hell and the only one like it.

I'm still really happy with mine and plan to get another one eventually! with finer plate

Top Bottom