OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

biggiew315

I also got the teal. I love the way it looks! My grinder hit ISC LA on the 8th, headed to new jersey. still at "processed" which is pretty much waiting for clearance.

I have some incredible flower I have been hoarding in anticipation! Ill post some pics of the nugs and grind when I have it in hand.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I also got the teal. I love the way it looks! My grinder hit ISC LA on the 8th, headed to new jersey. still at "processed" which is pretty much waiting for clearance.

I have some incredible flower I have been hoarding in anticipation! Ill post some pics of the nugs and grind when I have it in hand.
Check your Aus Post track # in USPS tracking, this may be closer than you think?

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
What impresses me the most is the complete absence of crushed, compacted or rolled herb in the grind. I think the 'floating' nature of the bearing design plus the weight and sharpness is key but also the hole/teeth spacing and sizing. This is hands down the best grinder I've ever used, and not by a small margin.
Mine arrived too yesterday. I got a bare top, with writings on the bottom.

At the first look I was a little worried at the little holes.
But after using it, I also find there are absolutely no chunks in the grind, which would probably happen with bigger holes/different teeth. I think, I am happy with the grind. No complaints from my ball vape, either.

I personally like the magnets as they are. The top would fall off too easily when held upside down with a weaker magnet. Same for the bottom.

Other grinders have a gasket that breaks with time, that helps with spinning and closes gaps.
This grinder spins freely, but therefore has a little gap between the top and middle part. When I move the grinder while grinding a couple of particles can escape trough that gap. If I hold it level or have it on my table when grinding I haven't had any particles escape in noticeable amounts until now.
I much prefer the version of this grinder! No gasket that can break that you cannot replace etc.

Best grinder I own!

I want to grind more than I have :D
Back to testing :rockon:

edit: I saw some people have problems taking the top off. I find it mainly has to do if I lift it straight. If I do not lift it straight, it may block a little. I have absolutely no problem with it. Upside down the top comes off easy with one proper shake.

Last edited:

AlphaDeltaF1

Firstly, thank you for the gorgeous hardware @OMD, Truly heirloom quality work. I showed people who don't par take and even they commented how well made it is :nod:

4 days of use

The Grinder:

So far I've only ground up about 5 grams in the Aroma-3, but it has completely replaced my 2019 Santa Cruz Shredder. Getting the Aroma -3 started is reminiscent of riding a bicycle in high gear down hill: High initial resistance (but not more so then another grinder) but then that buttery smooth inertia kicks in due to the mass of the grinding top and sharp teeth shred the flower quickly leading to free spin.

after grind inspection shows the bud is shredded, fluffy and trichome heads still intact.

Grind consistency is a fine-medium grind that is fluffy and uniform in grain size.

Note:

• Free-spinning the grinder at a high RPM will create enough centrifugal force to eject small bits of herb from the grinding chamber via the lid gap.
  • The magnet in the lid is strong enough to hold the weight of the bottom half off the grinder. I prefer the magnetized grinder for safety and ease of fidgeting in various positions (lol)

Shipping to USA:

Tracking stopped updating once it hit customs, updated on USPS when it was out for delivery 6-7 days later.

Last edited:

biggiew315

Firstly, thank you for the gorgeous hardware @OMD, Truly heirloom quality work. I showed people who don't par take and even they commented how well made it is :nod:

4 days of use

The Grinder:

So far I've only ground up about 5 grams in the Aroma-3, but it has completely replaced my 2019 Santa Cruz Shredder. Getting the Aroma -3 started is reminiscent of riding a bicycle in high gear down hill: High initial resistance (but not more so then another grinder) but then that buttery smooth inertia kicks in due to the mass of the grinding top and sharp teeth shred the flower quickly leading to free spin.

after grind inspection shows the bud is shredded, fluffy and trichome heads still intact.

Grind consistency is a fine-medium grind that is fluffy and uniform in grain size.

Note:

• Free-spinning the grinder at a high RPM will create enough centrifugal force to eject small bits of herb from the grinding chamber via the lid gap.
  • The magnet in the lid is strong enough to hold the weight of the bottom half off the grinder. I prefer the magnetized grinder for safety and ease of fidgeting in various positions (lol)

Shipping to USA:

Tracking stopped updating once it hit customs, updated when it was out for delivery 6-7 days later.
I truly appreciate the shipping section at the bottom. 🤙🏼🤙🏼🤙🏼

For anyone else reading, mine was shipped the 6th, arrived in USA the 8th, and is still in route at customs today the 17th.

SquirrelMaster

If there is no magnet for the top then the bottom is not magnetized either correct? This feels like a stupid question but I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and I feel pretty dumb :lol:.

@AlphaDeltaF1
I did notice little specs of herb go flying when I spin it fast i.e. as fast as I can :brow:

This the heaviest of all my grinders and I like it. Helps to keep it grounded when I spin and puff.

Knewt

If there is no magnet for the top then the bottom is not magnetized either correct? This feels like a stupid question but I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and I feel pretty dumb :lol:.

@AlphaDeltaF1
I did notice little specs of herb go flying when I spin it fast i.e. as fast as I can :brow:

This the heaviest of all my grinders and I like it. Helps to keep it grounded when I spin and puff.
There are 2 magnets, the one in the middle section that goes in from the bottom, and it attracts the steel bearing in the top, and a magnet that is in the bottom. With the middle bearing removed, neither top or bottom would be attracted. I think a shorter bearing in the middle might only attract the bottom, but that would be an @OMD question.

DonMarteng

No. 69 has landed :D Yeeehaaa!
Also got my dogs name engraved, I already love this grinder.
Give me a few days to upload some pictures and share my opinion.
However one instant upgrade I found was to put a little Mad Heaters magnet on top of the bearing,
now I can place a Dynavap on top while the top lid is still free spinning, it also covers the middle hole and looks pretty cool.
Hope you get what I mean, if not I will be back with pictures once I get back home.
Maybe a good place for a small metall piece with a Old Mate logo? :)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
When I move the grinder while grinding a couple of particles can escape trough that gap. If I hold it level or have it on my table when grinding I haven't had any particles escape in noticeable amounts until now
Free-spinning the grinder at a high RPM will create enough centrifugal force to eject small bits of herb from the grinding chamber via the lid gap
I did notice little specs of herb go flying when I spin it fast i.e. as fast as I can

Interesting, since I haven't noticed this phenomenon at all with mine, nor can I imagine it exactly, will keep an eye out!

OMD

Accessory Maker
There are 2 magnets, the one in the middle section that goes in from the bottom, and it attracts the steel bearing in the top, and a magnet that is in the bottom. With the middle bearing removed, neither top or bottom would be attracted. I think a shorter bearing in the middle might only attract the bottom, but that would be an @OMD question.
There are 3 magnets. Exactly as you described but there is another magnet that goes up in the middle section first, this one attracts radially to the bearing race. Then the second one that presses In flush to hold the bottom section (attracting axially). The third magnet is pressed into the bottom piece.

The standard configuration is now 2 magnets that hold the bottom section only. You can still opt for the third magnet to hold the lid on when you checkout.

People with hand dexterity issues struggle with the lid magnet and some people love it. Now you guys have the option. 👍

If you have received your grinder with no top magnet and you wanted one please email me and I’ll do my best to sort something out for you.

Thanks everyone!

oldfool

The standard configuration is now 2 magnets that hold the bottom section only.
So if you turn it upside down the top falls off?
I'm in my late 60s and my grip isn't what it used to be (I fist bump instead of shaking hands these days).
I have no problem separating the pieces and love that I can spin it and turn it upside down with no worries.

For those ordering I would suggest you go with all three magnets unless you have a serious problem with your hands/grip.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm in my late 60s and my grip isn't what it used to be (I fist bump instead of shaking hands these days).
I have no problem separating the pieces and love that I can spin it and turn it upside down with no worries.

For those ordering I would suggest you go with all three magnets unless you have a serious problem with your hands/grip.
It doesn't seem a stretch to make the adjustment, simply don't turn it over without holding on to the top?
The decision could be based on what one wants to get accustomed to.

I'm wondering how I might get the top magnet out, but I fear that may mean drilling (and/or might have to destroy the middle magnet in process), so I prolly won't do it.

vapviking,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Knewt

It doesn't seem a stretch to make the adjustment, simply don't turn it over without holding on to the top?
The decision could be based on what one wants to get accustomed to.

I'm wondering how I might get the top magnet out, but I fear that may mean drilling (and/or might have to destroy the middle magnet in process), so I prolly won't do it.
You could always put a full ceramic bearing in the top, they are pricey though. Or you can just get started on your OMD collection and buy a second one.

minasch

Does all the bearings fit which are made for skateboards? Brands like Bronson or Bones?
I saw the better bearings luckity splics actually is a normal skateboard bearing.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Does all the bearings fit which are made for skateboards? Brands like Bronson or Bones?
I saw the better bearings luckity splics actually is a normal skateboard bearing.
Yes I think so. They are the same size.
Although I have no Idea how you would remove the current and replace it with the new one.
I got the ntn one which spins greased and I love it.

minasch

I
Yes I think so. They are the same size.
Although I have no Idea how you would remove the current and replace it with the new one.
I got the ntn one which spins greased and I love it.
I read a couple of times in this thread that the bearing is removable.
I think it would be awesome because there are really beautiful skateboard bearings out there.
I can't try it out myself because I have the grinder not yet.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Yeah just a counterpoint, I don't necessarily struggle with the top magnet, but I do find it totally unnecessary, extra resistance, and no need for the security there, as I can't think of any single situation where I would ever turn the grinder upside down without my hands over the lid personally... Great to have the options now, though debatable which one should be the technical standard I suppose!

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Yeah just a counterpoint, I don't necessarily struggle with the top magnet, but I do find it totally unnecessary, extra resistance, and no need for the security there, as I can't think of any single situation where I would ever turn the grinder upside down without my hands over the lid personally... Great to have the options now, though debatable which one should be the technical standard I suppose!
Although I love my magnet one, you are absolutely right: In normal use I do not need the top magnet either.
You have me thinking if I should get a magnet free one for my days with weak hands :hmm:

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Man, i'm singing out loud (SOL?) here:

"I'm so excited!
I just can't hide it!
I'm about to recieve my OMD and i'm sure i'll like it!!
Like it"

That's about as far as i know the lyrics so i'm sounding like a broken record here!
Oh yeah, i can alter with this:

"Please Mister Postman, look and see
Is there a grinder, a grinder for me?" (with some finger snapping and even a shy dance move in between)
:D

Top Bottom