Oil Condensation?

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hey there guys; for all of you oilheads out there I have a bit of a novice question as to how to do it the best way. I picked up a gram of oil and I've been having nice little dabs and loving it but I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right because I think I'm getting a layer of oil that coats my mouth after each dab. Is this a normal occurrence whilst dabbing?

I have a sneaking suspicion it could either be that I am not heating my plate up as hot as I should (though it is red hot) or that I may be using the wrong kind of piece (a medium sized bubbler with a fair bit of water) with it. I see all of these specialty dabbing rigs at my headshop and they seem to all have smaller water chambers with higher down stems than combustion pieces.

I know that I'm getting quite a bit of oil buildup at the front of my mouth, because I wear a retainer and can take it out and see the buildup. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if it didn't taste like sharpie marker, but it's not going to stop me from dabbing in the mean time.

Anyway thanks in advance

CentiZen,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Try allowing your plate to cool a lil bit more and see if it makes a difference.

Personally, I use an active carbon filter attachment for my dabs to 'tone' it down and find it a LOT more easy on my fucked up bronchs, so maybe it's removing what your experiencing in your mouth.

smokum,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I don't get that at all :shrug:
I don't dab too often, and it's always ABV QWISO.

I've dabbed in quite a few of my pieces, and I haven't noticed any major differences between larger and smaller pieces.
:shrug:

Frederick McGuire,

mephisto

Maybe smaller dabs would be the key, sounds like your essence is reconstituting thru the water and
leaving you with the return. Less diffusion, lower water agitation. My abv qwiso reforms into oil as soon
as it exits the inline. Thankfully, the glass grabs it prior to eating it....

mephisto,

farscaper

What kind of "oil" did you buy? What i mean is, what was the strain and the solvent? many strains can have interesting aftertastes... And so can poorly purged extraction... Sharpy marker... Ewwwww! Is it iso extraction? I hate the taste of iso! It leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Are you holding hits in your mouth for any period of time? That might explain the buildup to...

farscaper,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
It's BHO and it tastes fine when I don't have it coating my mouth. I've started using less water and putting the mouthpiece past my teeth and I haven't been getting any issues with that

CentiZen,

farscaper

I guess i do notice a buildup of taste after about 5 good dabs on the wiser... The only glass i,have right now is a little AC with a sherlock mouthpiece... So i dont have much "filtration" per se, but its more like im just moistening the vapor as it goes through the piece... However, my ophos can get way overbearing and causes the worst cottonmouth...

I usually have a big hospital cup of ice water and a little glass of juice around when im using my rig... In case i get a "whoops, that was tooo big" dab and caugh my ass off. I,guess i never notice a taste cause im chasing with a beverage most of the time...

Now please excuse me... My thumb is sore from typing this and i need a glass orange juice :p

farscaper,

bassplayer

I wonder if the 'oily' vapor (I only say 'oily' for a lack of a better term) is harmful to the lungs? Flower vapor doesn't leave any trace in the glass pieces, but concentrate vapor does leave bits stuck to the glass and such. Do the bits/condensation particles get stuck in your lungs too or does your body simply absorb it all?

bassplayer,

farscaper

I would have to lean towards absorb it... since that is how the THC in the vapor is being absorbed anyway. That also means that your absorbing any contaminants or impurities in your oil... The body doesn't care what it absorbs... it just might not react well with it. I know after a long hard night of dabbing, when i get up i might feel a little rattle... that might be a little oil residue buildup on the bronchial path... but I've experienced the same from vaping and smoking (ewwww) botanical. just another good reason to know, or at least trust the source of your concentrates.

I wonder if the 'oily' vapor (I only say 'oily' for a lack of a better term) is harmful to the lungs? Flower vapor doesn't leave any trace in the glass pieces, but concentrate vapor does leave bits stuck to the glass and such. Do the bits/condensation particles get stuck in your lungs too or does your body simply absorb it all?

farscaper,

bassplayer

Thanks farscaper, that makes sense to me. It would be nice if some studies were done so we know more about what's going on, also about the health effects of BHO vs Water or solvent vs solventless (such as - does the butane in BHO get fully purged if done correctly or is there residue chemicals, etc...)

bassplayer,

dannkk

I don't think it has anything to do with your oil. It's your retainer. Vapor or smoke won't necessarily condense on you teeth or gums, but it will condense on the plastic your retainer is made of. Just like a pipe getting dirty...but inside your mouth.

DubCRider

This may be due to the position of your lips also. If I hit a piece with a trumpet style I get resin lips. Instead of curling your lips in position them like you're going to whistle.

Cannanow69

I have a similar questions. I have been making oil usually using Lucienne butane. I recently came across gold series n-butane, which supposedly does not have the chemical in it that allows you to smell it. I have noticed after making the oil with this "n-butane" there is strange oily layer left in the mouth not marijuana extraction but more like a layer of vegetable oil. Has anyone experienced ?

Cannanow69,

I have read it is due to concentrations of certain terpene chains in certain strains that likely congeal at a higher temp than other terps from other strains.

I will edit and post more if I get more info.

I get this sometimes from the position of the pipe on my lips as well, so look into inhaling directly into your lungs instead of using your lips and teeth like a screen of sorts.

Top Bottom