OG Grasshopper finally bit the dust. Still no good alternatives?

Old_muel

Yeah though I've long moved on & not thought about it for a few years, the hopper really was my perfect vape too & there's still nothing that properly compares to it- in performance alone yeah maybe but nothing close to that form factor with that performance...wish they didn't fuck it all up or I'd still be using one today for sure

Last edited:
Old_muel,

Farid

The form factor is what caused the failures IMO. Had they designed something with the same build quality, but in form factor that wasn't restricted to the pen shape they wouldn't have had to deal with the same failure rate, and they would have dominated the market.

Last edited:

CapitalFlower

The form factor is what caused the failures IMO. Had they designed something with the same build quality, but in form factor that wasn't restricted to the pen shape they wouldn't have had to deal with the same failure rate, and they would have dominated the market.
How do you know this?

CapitalFlower,

Farid

Because the types of failures that people experienced line up directly with design choices made in order to fit the pen form factor: overheating, heater failures, battery failures.

When you try to force your design to conform to a certain form factor, you have to make compromises. In this case they were forced to use proprietary batteries, a heater that was very small, with difficult to clean channels, and easy to break when cleaning with iso.

Compare it to a standard stem style vape that uses an 18650, like a TM, Milaana, Toad, etc. You can have more room for designing a heater that doesn't overheat or clog easily. You can insulate the battery from the heater. You can use a variety of 18650 batteries from reputable manufacturers. You can keep the cleaning to inside the stem, so that you don't need to clean the heater, putting it at risk.

They could have done all this and kept it to a very sleek and stylish design. Something like a Toad but smaller, metal, and mass produced.

I also always found it funny how the pen shaped design made for a very short vapor path, which forced many who are sensitive to hot vapor to use water pieces. It seemed so silly to take a product designed to be small and pocketable, and use it with a water pipe, negating the benefits of that form factor.

passenger

is this thing on?
It's a shame that they chose that gimmicky stealth pen form. A mature and durable vaporizer that can be easily cleaned and blends in into the environment is really missing. The Toad (and Nomad) are there but it's weird that there is no massproduced device that checks these boxes

Mr. Me2

I great vape I didn’t see mentioned here (probably because it’s out of stock; they have promised an updated version) is the Tafee Bowle. I love mine. Virtually instant heat up and better taste than the grasshopper. And I’m a grasshopper fan…I have 2.

subway13029

I great vape I didn’t see mentioned here (probably because it’s out of stock; they have promised an updated version) is the Tafee Bowle. I love mine. Virtually instant heat up and better taste than the grasshopper. And I’m a grasshopper fan…I have 2.
Yes you said it..he can also put the cup on top and nobody knows..I've had my bowle for 2 and a half years and just spent the 49 dollars to basically have them send me a new one because mine failed 2 months out of warranty and I didn't know how much I would miss it while it was gone..love my bowle!

kato1234

Yeah I've been saying this for a long time too, it is pretty self-apparent, size n cells, fuck that stupid clicker power switch lol
A few years ago when it first hit the market after the kickstarter there were a lot of posts talking about how the battery was one specially designed for the Grasshopper and the heater was 65 watts. I tried to explain to people that was impossible but the myths persisted. Now don't get me wrong I own an OG Grasshopper that I just put back into rotation and the flavour I got blew me away. If it wasn't for the battery limitations this would be in my top 3.

kato1234,

ginolicious

I’m going to throw the Firefly 2+ into the mix here. Very underrated. Loved it. Flavour is amazing. Boy I was hitting it last night and I just couldn’t get enough. Kept going downstairs for more hits from it.

ginolicious,
Top Bottom