OG Grasshopper finally bit the dust. Still no good alternatives?

CapitalFlower

Hi all,

Been quite a while since my last post on this forum. I suppose that's a good thing, meant that I was super satisfied with my setup with no VAS. My OG Grasshopper Ti had been working flawlessly over the last 6 years. Occasionally I would browse the latest Portable Vaporizers threads, but had yet to see one that offered the same as the GH.

Alas, all good things eventually come to an end.

After 6 years of use and abuse, I suddently started getting flashing red & blue lights on my GH. Unfortunately I had just purchased 5 new batteries from Chosty, very bad timing. A quick search on here told me they were the dreaded "coplights" (sensor damage?) I also randomly experienced other lights, such as straight to red then turning off, and going straight to blue without producing heat.

I tried everything to get it to work again... Rotated the temp dial and clicker to get out any dirt, dunked the mouthpiece in ISO, as well as the bottom threads of the body. I used a q-tip around the temp control threads, followed up by a round of white-tac. Still didn't work. Eventually I got so fed up that I dunked the entire Hopper (disassembled) in ISO for an hour, then let it dry overnight! I came back to it the following morning, and amazingly it worked for 2 rounds then went back to coplights :lol: I then remembered reading that it uses the body as part of the circuit, so I bought some conductive grease and applied it to the threads. Thought I'd managed to fix it but after 5 hits, it started the coplights again. I'd say it now works around 30% of the time, so not very reliable...

I really don't want a new vape. It's not the money or effort, it's simply just that I have yet to see anything that can match the GH (which was released in 2015...) It has simply been the perfect vape for me, and I've owned a few previously.

After much lurking on the forum, I decided to buy myself a Dynavap M 2021. It was cheap enough new on Amazon and everyone seems to be raving about them on here. Got a butane lighter and a 10-14mm water adapter to go with it. But after using it for over a month, I'm not convinced. I haven't bought an IH (induction heater) yet, and I don't plan to, because I don't want to spend £100+ on a big bulky battery-powered heater. But, using the butane lighter in public is awkward, you look like a crackhead. No other way to put it. It also seems to be pretty much 100% conduction by design, which I don't like. The cap is too loose to reliably keep loaded in my pocket, and it also obviously stays very hot for a while after use. The 0.1g chamber size is finished in 2-3 hits, and there are always parts of the ABV which are black/burned. I also don't really like to refill in public if I can help it. The GH has a chamber size of around 0.25g, which was enough for when I was out and about for the day (got quite a few hits, especially when using on lvl 2-4). I enjoy vaping at a lower temperature (150-180c) but I think the Dynavap is set to click at around 195c.

So I'm looking at other options...

• Tried the Mighty as my friend owns one. It's a session vape, and far too big and cumbersome to load/unload. Crafty looks the same just smaller.
  • Tinymight 2 looks fairly interesting, although very expensive and somewhat bulky. Got someone offering me a Tinymight 1.5 (whatever that is) for only $50...
  • XLux Roffu could be a contender, but I don't know how secure that magnetic mouthpiece would be in my pocket. Annoying menu options and slow heat-up time with uneven heating. Also read that the unit itself can get hot.
  • XMax V3 Pro looks hard to load and has an insecure mouthpiece (reminds me of the Pinnacle Pro that I used to own). Again slow heat-up time.

So I suppose to conclude this unnecessarily long-ass post, what I am really looking for is a vape that can check most if not all of these features:
  • 0.2-0.3g chamber size
  • >90% convection
  • True on-demand heating
  • Secure mouthpiece
  • Simple to use (what's all this press 5 times to turn on nonsense!)
  • Easy to load/discard (tool free/hands free)
  • Minimal cleaning
  • Removable battery (or longlife battery)
  • Easy connection to water
  • Uniform heating without stirring

Other than the GH, does anyone know whether such a device exists? Thanks :rockon:

Last edited:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
May want to check out the Lobo, POTV’s latest offering that’s technically not even out yet. I think an Anvil, Thermal Accumulator, or Tempest with an IH would also serve you well, though those are all going to be fairly significant investments (~$200 for the device + ~$150-200 for a nice IH).

Timps27,

hoptimum

Hi all,

Been quite a while since my last post on this forum. I suppose that's a good thing, meant that I was super satisfied with my setup with no VAS. My OG Grasshopper Ti had been working flawlessly over the last 6 years. Occasionally I would browse the latest Portable Vaporizers threads, but had yet to see one that offered the same as the GH.

After 6 years of use and abuse, I suddently started getting flashing red & blue lights on my GH. Unfortunately I had just purchased 5 new batteries from Chosty, very bad timing. A quick search on here told me they were the dreaded "coplights" (sensor damage?) I also randomly experienced other lights, such as straight to red then turning off, and going straight to blue without producing heat.

I tried everything to get it to work again... Rotated the temp dial and clicker to get out any dirt, dunked the mouthpiece in ISO, as well as the bottom threads of the body. I used a q-tip around the temp control threads, followed up by a round of white-tac. Still didn't work. Eventually I got so fed up that I dunked the entire Hopper (disassembled) in ISO for an hour, then let it dry overnight! I came back to it the following morning, and amazingly it worked for 2 rounds then went back to coplights :lol: I then remembered reading that it uses the body as part of the circuit, so I bought some conductive grease and applied it to the threads. Thought I'd managed to fix it but after 5 hits, it started the coplights again. I'd say it now works around 30% of the time, so not very reliable...

I really don't want a new vape. It's not the money or effort, it's simply just that I have yet to see anything that can match the GH (which was released in 2015...) It has simply been the perfect vape for me, and I've owned a few previously.

After much lurking on the forum, I decided to buy myself a Dynavap M 2021. It was cheap enough new on Amazon and everyone seems to be raving about them on here. Got a butane lighter and a 10-14mm water adapter to go with it. But after using it for over a month, I'm not convinced. I haven't bought an IH (induction heater) yet, and I don't plan to, because I don't want to spend £100+ on a big bulky battery-powered heater. But, using the butane lighter in public is awkward, you look like a crackhead. No other way to put it. It also seems to be pretty much 100% conduction by design, which I don't like. The cap is too loose to reliably keep loaded in my pocket, and it also obviously stays very hot for a while after use. The 0.1g chamber size is finished in 2-3 hits, and there are always parts of the ABV which are black/burned. I also don't really like to refill in public if I can help it. The GH has a chamber size of around 0.25g, which was enough for when I was out and about for the day (got quite a few hits, especially when using on lvl 2-4). I enjoy vaping at a lower temperature (150-180c) but I think the Dynavap is set to click at around 195c.

• Tried the Mighty as my friend owns one. It's a session vape, and far too big and cumbersome to load/unload. Crafty looks the same just smaller.
  • Tinymight 2 looks fairly interesting, although very expensive and somewhat bulky. Got someone offering me a Tinymight 1.5 (whatever that is) for only $50...
  • XLux Roffu could be a contender, but I don't know how secure that magnetic mouthpiece would be in my pocket. Annoying menu options and slow heat-up time with uneven heating. Also read that the unit itself can get hot.
  • XMax V3 Pro looks hard to load and has an insecure mouthpiece (reminds me of the Pinnacle Pro that I used to own). Again slow heat-up time.

So I suppose to conclude this unnecessarily long-ass post, what I am really looking for is a vape that can check most if not all of these features:
  • 0.2-0.3g chamber size
  • >90% convection
  • True on-demand heating
  • Secure mouthpiece
  • Minimal cleaning

Other than the GH, does anyone know whether such a device exists? Thanks :rockon:
Are you interested only in portables?

hoptimum,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Performance and versatility wise, this would be your best bet by far my favorite, yes not as small but you get a lot more out of it as a result... I like it much more than GH personally even when they work well! (stem system chamber pathway is really easy to keep clean, full temp range dial, readily available swappable batteries, many options for cooling dry and versatile connections, larger heater with pure materials high powered full convection on demand)

Yeah these are both solid, but much more budget type, there are some other options coming from this company too now, but I still doubt the vapor quality can compete with TM or GH ultimately, although smaller and simpler to use perhaps in some ways? Always a trade off...

You may want to look into the firewood9 as well as mod based vapes like Dreamwood Glow?? Keep an eye out on the market for somethings new too

RxPlorer

my recommendation is the AirVape Legacy Pro with or without the dosing caps, or one of the newer butane convection units like the Anvil, or the upcoming Tempest.

The Vapman is another option to look at - compact, phenomenal flavor, great design. It won't do .2-.3 though.

RxPlorer,
Reactions: XpeeN

CapitalFlower

Are you interested only in portables?
Yep, portables only!

May want to check out the Lobo, POTV’s latest offering that’s technically not even out yet. I think an Anvil, Thermal Accumulator, or Tempest with an IH would also serve you well, though those are all going to be fairly significant investments (~$200 for the device + ~$150-200 for a nice IH).
After the Dynavap I think I'm done with butane vapes, and don't want to carry around an expensive external IH brick. Can't see much about the Lobo but looks intruiging...

my recommendation is the AirVape Legacy Pro with or without the dosing caps, or one of the newer butane convection units like the Anvil, or the upcoming Tempest.

The Vapman is another option to look at - compact, phenomenal flavor, great design. It won't do .2-.3 though.
I like the look of the Legacy Pro, except 15s heat-up time and the awkward loading chamber put me off it slightly.

CapitalFlower,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Tinymight 2 looks fairly interesting, although very expensive and somewhat bulky. Got someone offering me a Tinymight 1.5 (whatever that is) for only $50...
The Tinymight is my favorite portable, but I also don't care for the pen-sized vapes. I would be concerned at that price for a TM 1.5. There are counterfeits, although you should be able to verify the serial number.

CapitalFlower

The Tinymight is my favorite portable, but I also don't care for the pen-sized vapes. I would be concerned at that price for a TM 1.5. There are counterfeits, although you should be able to verify the serial number.
After doing more research, I'm not gonna go for it. Regardless of the price, I'd want the improvements the TM2 offers.

Greenleaf88

I’m sorry buddy was always a vape I wanted to buy but always held off cuz of the problems I would read here, so it’s nice to c it last for someone.

Was always my type of vape so when then anvil came out I jumped on it and was satisfied but it’s manual with a torch.

Once again I’m sorry buddy I know how attached we get to our main drivers and it ducks they no longer exist.

CapitalFlower

Sorry, I bought it :lol:

Well, it broke before the chap was able to post it. So back to square one!

I still haven't really seen any others that interest me besides the Roffu and the TM2, and seeing as the former is a lot cheaper, I'm inclined to try that first.

CapitalFlower,
Reactions: Grass Yes

CapitalFlower

If you are interested in the Roffu, hit me with a pm. I have one in New condition with stainless capsules included. The price will make you smile.
I'm in the UK unfortunately! But tbh I would probably prefer to buy new with a warranty and returns policy. Out of curiously, why are you selling?

CapitalFlower,

Casualt

The grasshoppers still come up on ent exchange from time to time. Maybe try your luck there. I bet if you do a search people will still be selling and maybe even get an IO. I love mine and pull it out from time to time.

Casualt,

Greenleaf88

Hi all,

• 0.2-0.3g chamber size
  • >90% convection
  • True on-demand heating
  • Secure mouthpiece
  • Minimal cleaning

Dude is ur interested I just saw on the classified a hopper up for sale.

Greenleaf88,

Jojofernz

Looks like you already bought one but someone on the ent exchange posted one for sale yesterday!

Jojofernz,
Top Bottom