O'Connell Woodworks Vaporizers

gotbadvas

Lets just get this out of the way. I suck at using direct draw butane vapes. I have some kind of weird lungs that don't feel anything. I used to take combustion hits that were just plain nasty and I almost never cough. I think I just don't have good feeling so I have more trouble with these types of vape. Have had sticky bricks also before but just never get on with them 100%.

I need to bust out the Noisy Cricket again. I went a little too far and singed the herb the last time but I need to try again. I remember getting huge tasty cool hits. Thing has a pretty huge bowl so you can take huge rips. The TKO will fit my Noisy Cricket bowl. Looks like a beast to me. O'Connell doesn't mess around.

Anyone have tips of how they hit the Cricket? Do you aim the flame directly into the intake or angle etc?

coolbreeze

Lets just get this out of the way. I suck at using direct draw butane vapes. I have some kind of weird lungs that don't feel anything. I used to take combustion hits that were just plain nasty and I almost never cough. I think I just don't have good feeling so I have more trouble with these types of vape. Have had sticky bricks also before but just never get on with them 100%.

I need to bust out the Noisy Cricket again. I went a little too far and singed the herb the last time but I need to try again. I remember getting huge tasty cool hits. Thing has a pretty huge bowl so you can take huge rips. The TKO will fit my Noisy Cricket bowl. Looks like a beast to me. O'Connell doesn't mess around.

Anyone have tips of how they hit the Cricket? Do you aim the flame directly into the intake or angle etc?
The Cricket is generally pretty forgiving so I think it's a good one to sharpen your skills on. I can't really think of anything specific with it, but in general, playing with draw speed, flame size, angle, and distance is key. I would start with a .5" inner flame length aimed downward at the 5 o'clock position just inside the funnel at a slow/medium draw until you see a bit of vapor or feel a little warmth (it helps to be able to see, so put it on a j-hook or piece you can see the vapor in). If you get some action there, just begin to move closer on further into the intake by adjusting the angle downward toward straight in. Be prepared to pull back the flame and/or increase your draw speed to prevent overwhelming the herb chamber with heat. Oh, and listen for the whistle, if you hear it, you're right about where you want to be.

TLDR: Don't go straight in, try a steep angle barely inside the funnel with a half-inch flame; adjust angle downward as necessary. Listen for the whistle. Further adjust distance/breath speed/flame height as parameters for additional control.

Edit: @gotbadvas , try tamping, too. I don't use any pressure, really, more than just spin it a bit lightly on top to slightly compress it, but mostly to even it out. That will help the keep the heat even through the herbs. With the wide bowl it really helps.

Edit 2: Whew! Thanks for making me getting out the NC; man what a nice frikkin vape! Three thumbs up!!!

Last edited:

Baboose1948

I had trouble with my v3 at first and found using double, triple or quad flames were a lot easier to control. I would point the flame almost straight up and slightly brush it across the intake. I didnt really get it dialed in with a single flame until I tried it out with my blazer pocket / micro torch. For whatever reason, that flame works really well. After using the blazer for a while, I can get it going with all my single flames.

Definitely more challenging than my SBJ, which I'm pretty sure I could evenly roast with a hot coal.

Baboose1948,

gotbadvas

I ran out of butane lol dang it. I need to buy a case I don't think any of the local smoke shops would have a good price but maybe I will check. No $7.99 can for me.

gotbadvas,

AbidingInNM

You already got some great advice about using the Cricket, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I happen to own both the Noisy Cricket and the BSS, and I have a strong preference for the BSS. My favorite glass to use is my 18in straight tube, so I need a device that delivers. I also need a device that isn't quick to combust as you "stay on the throttle" longer with larger glass. The BSS is an absolute delight. Nice, even roasting and while combustion is certainly possibly, it's just not a problem once you get dialed in, and that's not hard at all either. It also happens to work great on it's own with the stem. I can use the Cricket on my 12in straight tube (straight tubes are my fav), but I struggle with combustion on anything larger. My Cricket is zebra wood and it's beautiful, but I use the BSS much more. I think it's a perfect butane vape. I have no idea if you plan on buying another vape or perhaps are even still searching for that butane device that works for you, but I can damn near guarantee satisfaction with the BSS. Hell, if you buy it and don't like, I'll take it for 80% of the purchase price. Lol. It's a great vape and I'm a guy who loves the manual vapes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnome34

You already got some great advice about using the Cricket, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I happen to own both the Noisy Cricket and the BSS, and I have a strong preference for the BSS. My favorite glass to use is my 18in straight tube, so I need a device that delivers. I also need a device that isn't quick to combust as you "stay on the throttle" longer with larger glass. The BSS is an absolute delight. Nice, even roasting and while combustion is certainly possibly, it's just not a problem once you get dialed in, and that's not hard at all either. It also happens to work great on it's own with the stem. I can use the Cricket on my 12in straight tube (straight tubes are my fav), but I struggle with combustion on anything larger. My Cricket is zebra wood and it's beautiful, but I use the BSS much more. I think it's a perfect butane vape. I have no idea if you plan on buying another vape or perhaps are even still searching for that butane device that works for you, but I can damn near guarantee satisfaction with the BSS. Hell, if you buy it and don't like, I'll take it for 80% of the purchase price. Lol. It's a great vape and I'm a guy who loves the manual vapes.
I second this!

Pulled my BSS and torches out this morning for the first time in months. Two of the best hits I've ever had! It's been a great morning lol.

Dead simple device and fairly forgiving. Easy to get insanely quick thick hits once you have your technique dialed in.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hi. Does anyone know the outside diameter of the mouthpiece stem for the OHV? Are there other existing glass stems that would fit the OHV? Thanks.

jeffp,
Top Bottom