NY Medical Marijuana bill - Assembly passed - Senate up next

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok guys we are getting close!!! NY Assembly passed the medical marijuana bill. Up next the senate!

http://blog.norml.org/2013/06/03/ne...helmingly-approves-medical-marijuana-measure/

"New York Assembly Overwhelmingly Approves Medical Marijuana Measure
by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director

Legislation that allows for the therapeutic use of cannabis by qualified patients, Assembly Bill 6357, was approved today by members of the New York state Assembly in a 95-38 vote. The debate now moves to the Senate where members are expected to take up companion legislation, Senate Bill 4406, in the coming days.

These measures would allow for the therapeutic use of cannabis by qualified patients who possess a recommendation from their physician. They are being supported by a bi-partisan coalition of more than 50 lawmakers.

Under these measures, state-registered patients diagnosed with one of over a dozen serious medical conditions — including cancer, HIV, post-traumatic stress, arthritis, diabetes, or epilepsy — would be allowed to possess up to 2 and one-half ounces of cannabis. The measure also allows for the establishment of licensed not-for-profit and for-profit facilities to produce and distribute cannabis to qualified patients. Non-registered patients would be able to present an affirmative defense of medical necessity at trial.

New York voters strongly support allowing patients to have access to marijuana therapy. According to a 2013 Sienna Research Institute poll, 82 percent of New Yorkers — including 81 percent of Democrats and Republicans — endorse the use of marijuana when authorized by a physician. This is an increase in support of 21 percent since pollsters last asked the question in 2012.

Despite this widespread public support, Senate Co-Leader Dean Skelos (R-Nassau County) has stated his opposition to the measure. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo stated he opposed the measure, but was keeping an “open mind” on the issue.

If you live in New York, it is imperative that your elected officials hear from you. Please take a minute and click here to quickly and easily contact your State Senator, Senate Co-Leader Skelos, and Governor Cuomo and tell them to stand with the overwhelming majority of New Yorkers by supporting this important legislation."

Edit: also, a month or two ago I was finally diagnosed with Crohns after having it for 15 years. I think I will be eligible *crosses fingers*. I read the bill. It definitely mentioned Crohn's.

clouded vision

If this happens, how do I become a licensed facility and what would be required of my establishment?
no way to know until the bill is passed into law and then regulations are put in place. even after the passage of the bill I bet it will be 6 months to a year before they have the other regulations in place and start allowing facilities to operate. that's why there is the affirmative defense fir possession built into the law. basically it will be a grey area where it will be legal to possess but illegal to grow our sell it similar to Colorado right now for recreational users.

Top Bottom