Noob question, Im clearly using concentrates wrong :(

matthend

Sorry for the noob question again but is that what's left after you do the 10 second draw or at that point would you try and burn that again and vape it?

Boil, not burn :)

And hell yeah!! i honestly couldnt tell you how many times i hit that particular load before i added more, but it was >5 for sure. You will taste when it starts to get dry, and even then I could go to 260 and get a couple of more hits (albeit not as tasty) Just set it to ni 250 and mash the button the whole time while inhaling somewhat slowly. I will be very surprised if you are not happily surprised

matthend,

ice005

Boil, not burn :)

And hell yeah!! i honestly couldnt tell you how many times i hit that particular load before i added more, but it was >5 for sure. You will taste when it starts to get dry, and even then I could go to 260 and get a couple of more hits (albeit not as tasty) Just set it to ni 250 and mash the button the whole time while inhaling somewhat slowly. I will be very surprised if you are not happily surprised

do you melt it fully before closing the cap? Ive been told that I'm inhaling to hard but now that I'm doing it gently i feel a resistance vs air flowing right in if that makes sense?
i dont know if the resistance is because I'm not inhaling hard enough now... or if its cuz the bowl wasn't smoking (melted but not smoking) when I put the cap on

ice005,

matthend

i put the cap on as it it sat in the pic, then held the button as I started hitting it. I am not sure about the airflow in the nyx, but a smooth, slow and steady 10 sec draw should be just about perfect

Just reread your question and it has me wondering if you are melting your dab away prior to hitting it. Can you try loading it up and hitting it with zero premelting time and let us know your results?

ice005

EQvmBl9.jpg

This was what I did right before reading what you said.. So in the image the 1st one is when I just loaded it, the 2nd is what I do before closing the cap... so its pretty much liquid, then when all the wax is melted into oil, I close the cap and do an inhale... Picture 3 is after I've taken the hit(s) and I think the bowl is done?

based on those pictures should I not have done step 2?

Can you try loading it up and hitting it with zero premelting time and let us know your results?
Ill try

Ill give it a shot as soon as I'm not as medicated again (ended up doing 3 bags on the volcano after the hit in the pic)

so to clarify your recommendation is load it, close it, warm it up then inhale for 10 seconds ?(PS... everytime I've tried doing a full 10 seconds i end up coughing like a lung wants to come out :S )

ice005,

ice005

Can you try loading it up and hitting it with zero premelting time and let us know your results?

I just got my order of shatter though I've never used shatter before... should I still not pre melt this?

Any idea which one I should start with?
ZM2vqsn.jpg

ice005,

matthend

Honestly doing step two should be fine. I just wanted to be sure you were not vaporizing most of the dab to melt it. If the 10 sec has you coughing your head off, try holding the button for maybe the first 5-7 seconds of that 10 second inhale and find a happy medium there. If my donut looks anything like any of those pics (even number three), I am confident there is plenty of goodness left to be had there. What is the taste like when you get to the end, and what temp are you running at?

Also, those are some very nice choices to have. Shatter is nice because it is easier to drop in, and should be treated the same way. Put it to your mouth, hit the button, inhale slow and steady (possibly letting off the button early)

matthend,

ice005

What is the taste like when you get to the end, and what temp are you running at?

The temp I'm running it at is 17w (the coil is rated from 15-25w). the first inhale (when i get something rather than resistance) is pretty tasty, crisp and clean. The end? it tastes kinda like burnt plastic or what id imagine that to taste.

The taste at the end...if i try and make the ceramic white again (like trying to get all the stuff around it) is super gross ... i don't even know how to describe it... I just took the atty apart again and I must be inhaling wrong because it was starting to flood? its something that apparently happens when the holes the air goes up through gets oil in it and the oil runs down :S I'm guessing thats why theres so much air resistance when I'm trying to not inhale too fast?

ice005,

ice005

Too many choices is a good problem to have! (:

I actually haven't ever tried any of these...or shatter in general. I'm also debating the best way to use up the THC Distillate since I don't have a dab rig yet. don't know if putting it through the Nyx would just waste it.

ice005,

matthend

the more i read about the nyx and think about all that shatter, I would at the very least grab a divine tribe v3 (like $25 with the FC discount) and would really want a true rig and nail also. The nyx seems more like the earlier attempts at donut atomizers (including the DT ones), which never really gave me a quality hit. It would really suck to have all that delicious shatter and no good way to enjoy it, so I hope you get something worked out.

ice005

the more i read about the nyx and think about all that shatter, I would at the very least grab a divine tribe v3 (like $25 with the FC discount) and would really want a true rig and nail also. The nyx seems more like the earlier attempts at donut atomizers (including the DT ones), which never really gave me a quality hit. It would really suck to have all that delicious shatter and no good way to enjoy it, so I hope you get something worked out.

have you had a chance to compare the Sai attachment to how the Divine Tribe performs?

ice005,

matthend

The saionara? No, that is probably next on my list of atomizers. From what I have read, that gives the closest to a dab on a nail, albeit at the cost of going through concentrates much faster.

matthend,

ice005

The saionara? No, that is probably next on my list of atomizers. From what I have read, that gives the closest to a dab on a nail, albeit at the cost of going through concentrates much faster.

Mine is arriving either tomorrow or Monday/Tuesday next week (I hope)... I really have high hopes with the hype its gotten on Reddit and Vic from HVT seems like an upstanding honest dude.

Really hoping it'll be my go to atty for concentrates as the Nyx (and I'm guessing the Yocan Evolve Plus when it gets here) isn't doing it for me... to be completely fair though, my friends love the Nyx when I had them try so maybe I just set my expectations for Yocan Nyx and EP higher than I should've :(

ice005,

waxdab23

Mine is arriving either tomorrow or Monday/Tuesday next week (I hope)... I really have high hopes with the hype its gotten on Reddit and Vic from HVT seems like an upstanding honest dude.

Really hoping it'll be my go to atty for concentrates as the Nyx (and I'm guessing the Yocan Evolve Plus when it gets here) isn't doing it for me... to be completely fair though, my friends love the Nyx when I had them try so maybe I just set my expectations for Yocan Nyx and EP higher than I should've :(

The wax coil on the Saionara hits wayyyyy harder than the Nyx btw. I run mine at 22.5W. Not the best if you're trying to conserve - it blows through your material.

waxdab23,

ice005

Not the best if you're trying to conserve - it blows through your material.

LOL. the nyx is my first experience with any type of concentrate and I'm pretty sure I wasted half a gram before I kinda figured it out. still not there... Was so mad when I fully flooded it... then when i almost flooded it but caught it just in time lol.

I figured out the reason its flooding is because I'm putting WAAAY to much product and not finishing fast enough so it goes into the air intake holes.

Now I'm REALLY keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed that the Sai Wax coil just does it for me so I don't have to buy more portable concentrate devices lol

ice005,

weenstoned

@ice005 I have an evolve plus which as far as I know uses the same donut coils as the nyx. I have a nyx too that I got for free and was just using on the evolve plus battery but the airflow button fell off. Definitely still a few hits left in that third pic. Also I would advise against pre-melting as you are basically letting all the flavor (and probably some of the effects) escape into the air. Terpenes basically have the lowest boiling point of the compounds which make up concentrates and are generally gone after the first couple of hits and then you're left with a bit of a reclaimy taste for the remaining hits. So you were probably missing the best tasting hits.

Also really have to say that you need to inhale pretty slow to get a decent hit, like you're very gently sipping a straw. Seems counter-intuitive but you get way bigger clouds.

I would definitely get a nail and rig if you really want to enjoy your dabs though.

weenstoned,
Reactions: OldOyler

ice005

Also I would advise against pre-melting as you are basically letting all the flavor (and probably some of the effects) escape into the air.

So funny! someone on reddit was the one that suggested I do the minimum 2 second pre-melt! but you're correct I think that pre-melting shouldn't be done. @matthend suggested not permeating and when I tested it on a smaller dab, no pre-melt...it was definitely a better experience!

you need to inhale pretty slow to get a decent hit, like you're very gently sipping a straw. Seems counter-intuitive but you get way bigger clouds.
I think I still need to work on this slow inhalation... normally with the volcano bag its so easy to draw deep that i may be doing it incredibly wrong and just causing me to cough out a lung without feeling the good medicated vibes.

I would definitely get a nail and rig if you really want to enjoy your dabs though.

I ordered a 4mm Quartz banger :cool: sadly...its not arriving for another 3 weeks :bang:

Sai for some reason got delayed at SFO for a few days... and who knows how long it'll transit before coming to Toronto.... but I'm hoping that the Sai will be so mindblowingly awesome that I can wait for that 3 weeks still happily medicated

ice005,

weenstoned

Oh ya I forgot to mention that toothpicks work great for loading, someone on this forum turned me onto it.

weenstoned,

ice005

Oh ya I forgot to mention that toothpicks work great for loading, someone on this forum turned me onto it.

yup, I can definitely vouch for this! I have a few dabbers/ metal stick for my house... but when I'm out and about I keep a few of them handy cuz they're so dang cheap and disposable ! that and little alcohol swabs cuz I'm germaphobic like that lol

ice005,

weenstoned

I dunno I am not a scientist or anything but I think once it gets to the melting point at least some terpenes have already been boiled into the air. I start hitting as soon as I turn on the heat.

weenstoned,
Top Bottom