No Kid Hungry - Wednesday Hunger Fast - I'm In...

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
There's 47 million Americans living at or near the poverty line, and a lot of kids go hungry here.

To protest cuts in spending that will effect children's access to good food, I found out several staffers on nohungry.org are planning a hunger strike for themselves, and offering others to join in in solidarity.

I've wondered what I could do for this cause for a while, and missing a few meals sounds pretty easy really, and will do me some good, so check this site out...tell a friend about what's going on.
LINK learn about...
[h]Learn About the Campaign[/h]
The No Kid Hungry Pledge

I believe that no child in America should go hungry. By pledging today, I add my voice to the national movement of people committed to ending childhood hunger in America by 2015.

I pledge to do more than I ever thought I could to help children gain access to the healthy food they need to grow and thrive.

I will help make the invisible hunger visible for my neighbors, my family, and our local, state, and national leaders.

By uniting my voice with thousands of others, I believe that we can make No Kid Hungry a reality.

Why a Pledge?

Because its going to take lots of us to solve childhood hunger. We need to create an army of supporters who are committed to stamping out hunger once and for all. By adding your name, you are joining a movement of people united to put an end to childhood hunger. And your signature is just the first step.

Once youve taken the Pledge, youll become part of our No Kid Hungry community. Well provide you with real, meaningful ways that you can make a difference in your area.

Why now?

Our nation has the food and programs in place to end childhood hunger, but consider what we are up against: The stigmas and embarrassment that surround hunger, the challenges presented by access to healthy food, and the struggle to connect children with the resources they need to thrive.

For 25 years, Share Our Strength has been confronting hunger head-on to break down these barriers. Together, with your support, we can put an end to childhood hunger. Will you join us in the No Kid Hungry campaign?

Join a group of Share Our Strength staffers in a hunger fast to protest proposed budget cuts that would affect our nations hungry children.
Take Action

instead of really signing up they just direct you to a blog site to add a note, then later we'll come back and click that we did it. you all with me?

VWFringe,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Here's Jeff Bridge's site:

End Hunger

[h]No childhood hunger in America by the Year 2015[/h]

16.7 million American children nearly one in four live in households that do not have access to enough nutritious food to lead healthy, active lives.

President Obama has set the ambitious goal of ending child hunger by 2015.

With 22.5 percent of U.S. children in households experiencing food insecurity and the repercussions echoing across our society, this goal is critically important. For a nation as wealthy as ours, it is also achievable.

Founded by actor Jeff Bridges in 1983, the End Hunger Network works with the entertainment industry and other partners to create and support media projects, programs and events to raise awareness and generate action to end U.S. child hunger.

VWFringe,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Why would we want to end hunger?

Hunger is what makes people strive to keep their stomachs full.

Maybe it would be more beneficial to make kids who ordinarily would get a meal every day not eat.
That way they will understand what happens when they don't earn their keep.

OO,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
fuck you reece

yes, jk.............that was a hell'a funny line by Iwein in another thread, trying for that sort of manly but inclusive vibe

VWFringe,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Well, I completed my one day hunger strike, very lonely feeling, no one knows I think, or cares about what it's about...budget cuts to foreign aid are expected to cause the deaths of 70,000 children, conservatively

this politicized budget cutting, while ignoring where we spend the most un-needed money, is killing people, or it's going to

all because we don't want to tax the rich

VWFringe,

OO

Technical Skeptical
VWFringe said:
Well, I completed my one day hunger strike, very lonely feeling, no one knows I think, or cares about what it's about...budget cuts to foreign aid are expected to cause the deaths of 70,000 children, conservatively

this politicized budget cutting, while ignoring where we spend the most un-needed money, is killing people, or it's going to

i don't want to tax only the rich.

you say some pretty crazy stuff man.

OO,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
hahahhahahahaa

yeah

i found out today that the attack on labor's been happening in Europe too
Michael Hudson on the Attack on Labor in Europe
this is pertinent because the rich want to exempt themselves from paying into the system here and abroad. So wages are being rolled back, not that they were much better than ten years ago anyway. And they'll hack at the spending, letting kids go hungry...
Crazy or not, I hope someone writes to their representatives about the no kid hungry thing...I didn't eat for a day, that worth something?

watch the video where Jeff Bridges talks about imagining what it's like for a parent to not be able to put food on the table, and how we can all agree that since there's already programs in place, it makes sense to let them be used, and not cut them, since this is the way to end childhood hunger in America. he's a very convincing speaker. if you google write my representatives you can find the email form to your senator and representative, and the white house, and write a quick note that you don't think kids should go hungry in America.
that's why i post this stuff - to inform anyone who doesn't already know, and get some people to write along with me. it's worth it. president obama lives by the credo that change does not come from the white house, change comes to the white house, it's the people that must force them to change, they say it all the time, "make me" and they mean through letters and phone calls.

VWFringe,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
VWFringe said:

Well, at least not past $200,000 of their income. That's great, can I not pay taxes after the income I make past 10,000? Seems fair.

But what's really fair is not paying any taxes at all, and then getting a tax refund. Yeah, Exxon Mobile has it made! This country has the stupidest corporate and wealthy tax rates.

ugh, at least the government isn't being shut down AGAIN. What a fucking joke. Boner is working real hard on those jobs he bitched about all the way up until November... real hard getting rid of them.

aesthyrian,

LivingInSpin

TANSTAAFL

When you "tax the rich" the "rich" leave, taking their money with them and out of the local economy.

Corporations don't pay taxes. They just pass it on to the consumers in the form of higher prices.

Maybe if people would stop having kids that they can't feed, there would be less starving children.

The government does not produce wealth. The only way the government can feed the starving children is by confiscating other people's wealth that they have traded their time, life, and labor and taken risks to acquire.

So, if I understand some of you, you are advocating that one group of people should use the government to take what someone else has rightfully earned, by force if necessary, and give it to someone who did NOT earn it. How kind and generous some folks are with other people's money. :/

How about feeding a poor child from your own community with your own money? Or give to a local food bank? I do this. By choice, not force.

And here it is again, for emphasis: TANSTAAFL. Learn it, know it, live it. It is fundamental to understanding how anything in the universe works. There are no exceptions to this rule.

LivingInSpin,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
so you agree that the wealthy should only have to pay taxes on up to $200,000 of their income? You also support corporate tax cuts?

aesthyrian,

wthanna

In what world do the wealthy only pay taxes up to $200,000.00 of their income? It's certainly not the case in the U.S.

wthanna,

LivingInSpin

Actually, the Fair Tax is what I support.

Nobody should have to pay taxes at all on their income. Only consumption.

Corporations do not pay taxes in reality. They simply pass it along to the consumer. These are embedded taxes, something that the Fair Tax would do away with.

If the more I make, the more they take, then why the hell should I keep on making? Why not have the government steal it from someone else and give it to me?

And that's why politicians like to throw the word "democracy" around, as disgusting as it is. They want people to believe that the USA is a democracy, where the mob rules and the rights of the minority and individual are disregarded.

The progressive income tax is one tool used by the government to manipulate the populous into willingly abdicating their natural rights as sovereign individuals.

LivingInSpin,
Top Bottom