Nicotine & Caffeine - is there correlation?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
What the hell is wrong with me?

Ever since giving up smoking (tobacco / nicotine), my passion / love that is caffeine isn't as enjoyable.

This isn't the worse of it, I have noticed that it is actually starting to make me feel unwell.

OK, I know I am an animal with coffee, I've sat in Egypt telling the barista to make it stronger while the locals look at me like I have two heads!

I've even made a roadside barista's in Rome, fill a Cappuccino cup to the top with Espresso!

A little history... I have always suffered from what I call 'Hyperglycemia', basically I feel rather nauseous, dizzy and get flushed if I don't eat regularly. So I tend to graze throughout the day, nibbling little but often.

I have found since quitting Nicotine, I'm not enjoying coffee as much but worse still, I think it is making my 'hyperglycemia' worse, much worse.

Is this normal? Does vaping weed only and quitting Nicotine, make caffeine affect you differently?

Or should I go to the doctor and get tested for diabetes?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Well I know Nicotine increases metabolism, hence me putting on so much weight without eating loads more :(

But that statement certainly appears to hold water with how I've been feeling since giving up Nicotine even if it isn't the chewing type, while consuming the same amount of Caffeine I usually would.

Thanks @seaofgreens , nice to see I'm not imagining how I feel or the potential root cause.

I'm sure me cutting down my coffee consumption can only be a good thing anyway :tup:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I have bunged on about 10 kegs since quitting smoking & doubled my caffeine consumption. It has dropped since i have been on holidays but i have at least 4 double shot coffees a day usually.

I miss smoking in my car & that first one of the day. Otherwise smoking can go fuck itself.

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
This may not be very helpful since I don't consume nicotine at all. But my overall metabolism sounds similar to yours. I also stopped drinking coffee or anything with caffeine because it was making me feel unwell.
I haven't consumed any caffeine for about a year and a half now. Got over a vitamin D deficiency and went through a period of using probiotics and now i don't miss caffeine at all. drink water.

Poostuff

Please delete
I've got a couple of unusual sugar levels in blood tests since giving up smoking & I put on 10kg. All those weird chemicals in cigarettes either mask insulin problems in some people or create them. Personally I don't think it's just the nicotine that effects coffee enjoyment but it plays a roll. I still use nicotine in ecigs, I mix at a very low level but now have one coffee a day instead of five because of the reasons you've stated. Still enjoy drinking coffee it just knocks me around more. However a mellow flavoured low ohm/low nicotine vape still goes well with a beer thankfully.
I went through huge withdrawal symptoms for a week when I gave up tobacco despite replacing it at the time with high nicotine ecigs, so what the hell was I withdrawing from?
I don't know what's in cigarettes & I can't work out why the fuck they still don't have to write the ingredients on them. Seriously even my shampoo has to.
Go to your doc, they love sending people for diabetes tests.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
For me, good coffee and a cig was a great combo! Taste of a strong black cup complimented or was complimented by a cig.

I was always a triple shot flat white man (still am actually) & nice cigarette or 10 before 9.00am. I smoked cigarettes for around 20 years & it always went: white 1mg, grey 4mg, gold 8mg, blue 12mg & red 16mg. Then they removed the tar rating & put horrible pictures on the packaging. After that they had plain packaging with horrible pictures. I gave the people nicknames & always liked "respirator girl" but some were just fucking morbid every time you would have a cigarette looking at that shit.

213036-cigarettes.jpg

Was all about taste.

Or lack thereof you will find :)

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I was always a triple shot flat white man (still am actually) & nice cigarette or 10 before 9.00am. I smoked cigarettes for around 20 years & it always went: white 1mg, grey 4mg, gold 8mg, blue 12mg & red 16mg. Then they removed the tar rating & put horrible pictures on the packaging. After that they had plain packaging with horrible pictures. I gave the people nicknames & always liked "respirator girl" but some were just fucking morbid every time you would have a cigarette looking at that shit.

213036-cigarettes.jpg

Or lack thereof you will find :)
This is a side of the anti-smoking campaign that we didn't see. I wish it was on our cigs way back when.

Damn!

Poostuff

Please delete
This is a side of the anti-smoking campaign that we didn't see. I wish it was on our cigs way back when.

Damn!
Those pictures were dumb & just made me buy a cool cigarette case. Putting the ingredients on the pack might have done it for me.
Has anyone ever seen a packet of cigarettes with an ingredient list?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Some really helpful replies, thank you.

I did give myself high blood pressure a few years back when I tried to quit fags by switching to cigars.

Before I knew it I was on 2-3 big fat Cuban's a day!

So I know smoking can mess with how I feel, I had similar un-wellness then and went for a diabetes test, which just showed high blood pressure and after quitting the Romeo & Julieta, and going back to rolling my own, the pressure went normal again.

Either way, I haven't felt right lately and perhaps it's simply me becoming more aware of how sick my body has been for so many years smoking (I've smoked since I was 8), so maybe I'm actually feeling quite normal, and simply am not used to it!

Can nicotine for 35+ years do this to you?

I'm still not ruling out diabetes so I have a Dr. appointment this afternoon as it never hurts to air on the side of caution, and being English, health care is free, so might as well get something back from my taxes for a change!

It's not like it simply tastes different, I am still loving drinking the 3 heaped teaspoons a cup of strongest Arabica, I just seem to feel quite nauseous a few hours into the day, which I'm blaming on the coffee?

The amount of coffee I consume can't have been manged by the odd roll up a day I used to smoke can it?

I never even smoked first thing in the morning, my first fag was usually @10:30-11:00 morning break, I never even smoked fags at home, I always had a joint in my mouth!

I'm going to be a bit upset if giving up smoking means I also have to quit coffee, it was my comfort blanket, of "oh well at least I still have caffeine", however, if it has to go, or be considerably culled, then luckily I met you guys so at least I can say "oh well at least I still have vaping!"

1DMF,

Farid

Very interesting thread. I've recently had to severely cut back on coffee because it's a pro-convulsant. I'm also on a drug that increases nicotine metabolism, so nicotine effects me much stronger than it normally would. I am not a smoker, but when I have consumed either too much caffeine or nicotine (which these days isn't much) the feeling is almost identical. That's probably more to do with my own brain chemistry, but in my mind I can't help but associate the two substances.

Strangely, I can drink tea and feel fine, but coffee gets me. Maybe it's got something to do with the other stuff in coffee other than caffeine. Or maybe teas got something in it that balances it out. I can also tolerate e cig vapor much better than tobacco smoke. Maybe that has something to do with the MAOIs effects from tobacco alkaloids, or maybe it's just the nastiness of smoke to a nonsmoker.

Farid,
Reactions: 1DMF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Strangely, I can drink tea and feel fine, but coffee gets me.
This seems to be the case, it's the coffee that's making me feel squiffy not tea.

However, I don't use 3 tea bags at once and coffee per cup has more caffeine in it than tea, so I still believe it could be caffeine related.

Doctors in an hour, hopefully I'll find out more, but having come back from the hospital scan, I made a cup of coffee and I'm only half way through it and am feeling yucky, man this sucks.

Giving up smoking wasn't meant to take away my tolerance for coffee or make me put on 2 stone in weight!

If it wasn't for still being able to vape weed, I might have lost the plot completely, stick that in your suicide with cannabis pipe and smoke it! :evil::D:lol::p

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
When I gave up smoking over 15 years ago my coffee intake dropped from 6 cups per day to 3 to 4 cups. My weed intake went up as I substituted the craving for a cig/lung burn/burnt taste after things like a meal or alcoholic drink with a combustible bong hit or a rolled joint. I hadn't found vaping then. For the first couple of weeks after I quit I mentally felt 'foggy'. I also experienced some minor nauseousness for the few weeks but I attribute that to nicotine withdrawal.

It felt like there was a nicotine and caffeine relationship because I could tell that caffeine was affecting me more than before I gave up the cigs. The most notable difference when I gave up cigs was that my weed induced paranoia spiked when I drank coffee and got buzzed. I would normally smoke a cig and have a cup of coffee after getting a buzz without getting the noids. The jitteryness induced by caffeine was combining with the weed induced noids in a bigger way after giving up cigs.

One thing that really helped was when I put down the cigs I picked up running. Best way to quit because I got a runner's high (Positive reinforcement) to offset the withdrawel and overall felt better AND if I did smoke a cig it hurt me during the run immediately. I got addicted to the runner's high (positive reinforcement) and smoking a cig hurt the run (negative reinforcement).

When someone would ask 'After smoking all those years doesn't running make you feel like it's hard to breath and cause your lungs to burn'?!?!.....I would tell them 'That's the same way smoking made me feel so without knowing it I've been preparing for how it feels to take up running for decades' :rofl: I actually lost weight when I gave up the cigs.

I thought I had read that cigs reduced the jittery affects of coffee in some way but I can't find the article.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Well I have been booked in for thyroid, kidney, diabetes etc. blood test. My blood pressure is fine.

The doctor agreed my symptoms sounded like hyperglycemia, but you are only meant to get that if you are being treated for diabetes! Which I'm not, so is unsure why I feel this way.

He didn't seem to think the weight gain was acquired without dipping my hand in the cookie jar to substitute having a fag, which I haven't been, really, I failed to mention I replaced that with vaping weed ;) So I know it's not just consuming more calories, especially as I had been cutting down my beer intake.

He also has no knowledge of any correlation with caffeine and nicotine, having mentioned the chewing tobacco article.

The final conclusion to the consultation is; he wasn't prepared to propose any possible cause of the way I have been feeling until the test results are analysed.

So I'm going to cut my coffee intake down considerably in the meantime, and even try some decaf, which I didn't realise the missus bought coz of the pregnancy!

I'm just grateful bourbon still taste so damn good!

Last edited:

spoutti

Im just throwing out the detoxification factor possibility. Maybe its related to the fact your body is getting rid of the combustion poisons stocked in your body. Your body releases the stocked poison in your body for it to eliminate it. Maybe, that process is negatively affecting your coffee drinking experience now. But after your combustion detox, maybe you will be able to enjoy your coffee without side effects. I would give organic coffee a try, but thats a long shot.

spoutti,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Perhaps I need to change my office mug , as it just doesn't seem fitting anymore :( (especially with Decaf in it) :disgust:

F0w6JIb.png

Though it does serve to highlight just how much I use to love my coffee!

lookhigh

FC member
Got one of those Nesspreso machines and it actually makes good coffee.
The decaf variety's are excellent but alas no buzz.
Word of warning coffee drinkers.... Most ready made lattes cappuccinos etc. are packed with sugar and fat.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@1DMF this is really Interesting..

For years (since about 15 years old) iv been convinced I had hypoglycaemia.

Every now and again I would go shakey and sweaty and my legs feel hollow and Id have to sit down. But a can of pepsi and 5 mins later I would be fine....

I went through years of tests like you are starting (thyroid etc), searching for what was causing this. Of course it never actually happened at the docs so they could see. Anyway they never figured it out. And I gave up trying to sort it. Just always(still now) carry a can of pepsi with me just incase.
I always avoided energy drinks and coffee as I found this made me worse...
Sugar was not even the real answer, real food fixed me properly, sugar just delayed the episode.

I have spent years trying to put a pattern to this.... and this is my best conclusion..

I always have high amounts of thc and other cannabinoids in my system, being high takes energy from your body In the form of salts and sugars...and the whole dehydration thing too... I think it's just my body letting me know I need something topping up. I feel it may be salt and liquid... biology is not my strong point...

Also the one time I didn't get a pepsi I woke up 4 hours later feeling unpleasently drunk...

Fuck the docs, I'll manage this myself..

kellya86,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Well I've only recently @ 10 years had these glycemic moments. yet been baked for 25+ years, so I'm not sure it is the weed.

I also don't vape before work 90% of the time (or during), I medicate @ evenings and weekends.

I'm 70% enjoyment, 30% MMJ ;) = Wellbeing :)

So could it still be weed related?

Interestingly we went Sofa shopping yesterday, only had scrambled egg on toast and cup of tea before we left @ 10am, it wasn't until @ 4:40pm did we get to have a complimentary coffee @ furniture village, and still nothing to eat as the cookies had ran out.

I didin't have an episode or feel unweel at any point (I vaped before leaving the house!), but after the second cup of coffee (while doing the paper work @ 6pm), on the drive home @ 6:30pm I started to feel a little woosy.

Now OK, it had been 8 hours since I'd last eaten anything other than the odd extra strong mint and one quality street toffee sweet (they were on the sales man's desk), but I am convinced, the coffee made the difference.

At work, first thing I do is make a coffee @ 9am (only one scoop now!), but @ 10:30-11:00 I'm feeling wobbly and have to half half of my pack lunch sandwich to stabilise myself.

I have the tests Monday, but I'm going to continue my coffee experiments, as I'm convinced it's related, and perhaps linked to chemical imbalances in the brain, after all THC, Caffeine & Nicotine are all psychotropic drugs, and Dyspraxia is a brain related disability?

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Iv tried so hard to put a pattern to this.

Sometimes iv eaten loads and it still happens, sometimes I haven't consumed weed in 12 - 18 hours prior to this happening. I only vape at night or weekend. But it's still in me obviously,

With your thyroid test, they did one yet on me, then I had to go away for 6 weeks and come back for another...

One other thing that I questions is the amount of class A I have consumed in my life, or the ket or acid or dmt???

I gave up trying to pin point it....
I jus deal with it myself now....
One thing I have figured out for sure is coffee is bad for me...

Does a sugary drink fix you when it happens. Takes about 5 mins after? ?

kellya86,

Harmoniousliving

Iv tried so hard to put a pattern to this.

Sometimes iv eaten loads and it still happens, sometimes I haven't consumed weed in 12 - 18 hours prior to this happening. I only vape at night or weekend. But it's still in me obviously,

With your thyroid test, they did one yet on me, then I had to go away for 6 weeks and come back for another...

One other thing that I questions is the amount of class A I have consumed in my life, or the ket or acid or dmt???

I gave up trying to pin point it....
I jus deal with it myself now....
One thing I have figured out for sure is coffee is bad for me...

Does a sugary drink fix you when it happens. Takes about 5 mins after? ?
Your going about this the wrong way or angle. Natural is the only way to heal yourself from everything you ate that caused harm to your body.
First stop eating meat and dairy
Begin eating a plethora of vegetables and fruit ,mix in nuts and beans and rice
Drink only water,it is the life source we need. Nothing will quench our thirst like water.
Start exercising every day.
Eventually you'll find the rest......

Harmoniousliving,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
This doesn't work for everyone... different people have different diet needs, depending on many many things including metabolic rate.

I eat 4000 / 5000 calories a day and weight 10 stone..
Some people need more sugar in their diets. Some people need other things..

And my view is that as humans we are meant to eat meat... why try to change that.. we are hunter / gatherers,

lookhigh

FC member
I don't know, I don't drink drinks with sugar, only sweeteners.

I find fat coke too sweet.

@Harmoniousliving one step at a time eh. but no doubt you are right. Lifestyle changes aren't always easy.
Coke too sweet... must be cut with sugar.
But seriously those artificial sweeteners are bad.
A balanced diet is not difficult and a good place to start.
Fruit and veg is good they tell us. Home grown i would say yes. That cheap supermarket stuff is sprayed to fuck with chemicals. Organic? don't trust that too much.
Water is good for you too, stuff from the tap can be full of chemical's too depending on where you live. What is really good for you in the end?

lookhigh,
Top Bottom