next generation e-nails?

rolln_j

@alittledabwilldoya'
was out of town all weekend - still have not had time to mess with the new nail setup and honestly I only bought 14 mm adapters bc I got it for a rig that hasnt arrived yet - so I can really even use it until that rig arrives bc my current rig is an 18 mm - Ill try again and see if I can assemble it - but I see @herbivore21 mentioning it was futile - but again without the right adapter I cant even try it and compare how hot my rig gets

thanks all

Last edited:

chainz

I will try that, but it doesen't smell like something's burning. It smells... like a hot flat iron or a space heater or something along those lines- but only when I put my nose quite near it. Alas, I think its the oxidizing I'm noticing... but as I said I will check.

Thanks for your help guys!

I decided to smell my lotus after your clarification, i think i know what you mean about a "hot flat iron smell". My guess is that the smell is from the element itself and not the Ti shell. Maybe one of us can take it apart and heat it without the Ti nipple and see if the smell is still there.

DrSteez

Let me address some of the points here.

Ceramics of any kind (from the plain old white ones to SiC and SiN) are all much better heat distributors than Ti, and taste infinitely better to boot!

Quartz is absolutely not the best for flavor. Sapphire is hands down the best flavor that you will find on any nail. SiC and the D-nail Quartz halo (which has a wicking surface and flat heater to reduce abovementioned pooling, but still will get more pooling than sapphire) is great for flavor and won't be beat by much that is available right now though. I have owned and used >$200 quartz nails many times and these cannot even hold a candle to the flavor you get from the quartz halo (which costs considerably less!).

By the way, quartz is not necessarily quartz. Various grades will prioritize purity of silica over stability of form, etc. Moreover, the shape and size/surface area/mass etc of the quartz will determine how useful it will be for our application.

Do not bother with ti, there is no reason to dab on a ti surface when using an enail in this day and age. The exception here is the ti base on a d-nail halo. These bases do not seem to effect the taste at all. I have never tasted ti when using any of the halos.

If you have less money to spend, get the SiC halo with a 1.4 slim series base. It'll cost you more than extra cheap chinese quartz and ti, but those materials just don't come close and by the time you replace a few cheap nails, you could have bought the SiC anyway, which is more durable, tastier and 54329083504985349053480594383049583409534x better at conducting heat.

If you're on a lower budget, get yourself a domeless.com ceramic nail, which will taste worlds better than any cheap ti/quartz on the market.

Onto the liger nails, I have never used one of these in person. I would like to see what a liger quartz/ti hybrid functions like, but it costs more than either the quartz or SiC halos FFS!

The quartz inserts are crazy pricey! How is a 16mm quartz insert $70 when a dnail sapphire insert is $50????? Lab grown sapphire such as that used by NASA for windows and lenses up in space costs a fortune more to manufacture than a small piece of workaday quartz, which is manufactured EVERYWHERE! This price discrepancy is not justifiable given materials costs and the fact that the sapphire insert also has the wik surface! I would recommend saving yourself the cash and buying a SiC halo or quartz halo (you could get either with a sapphire insert and still spend the same kinda money as most Liger combos cost).

The cheapest liger ti with quartz insert combo runs $170, whereas the quartz halo (machined in a way that ensures the thinnest film vaporization and hence best flavor/more complete vaporization currently possible with quartz) can be had with a slim series base for $140.

The cheapest liger ti with SiC insert costs $180, the dnail slim series base with SiC halo can be had for $120.

The math speaks for itself.

Now if you are gonna use torches at all ever, get the SiC.

If you want the best flavor with less durability and slightly less complete vaporization, get the quartz halo.

Hope this helps man.

Yes, thank you for such a detailed answer. Really appreciate it.

As for my 'rebuttal'--(this was a lot to look into and process haha!)

and please forgive me, I'm pretty stoned right now.

This is what I was talking about when I was talking about cheap ti nail and quartz insert. Reference this:
These have all been linked to me by (i think! milehighlife(?) or it was mrbonsai. Sorry, I dont remember. :/)
ti nail--20$
http://www.dhgate.com/product/boss-...le-adjustable/250478716.html#cart_view-1-null

quartz insert--15$
http://www.happydaddyproducts.net/product/quartz-insert/

this would make it around 40$ including shipping and all.

Now, if I am not mistaken, from what you have said,
~sapphire is best for flavor, hands down.
~SiC is better than quartz as it is reliable, durable, tasty and conducts heat much better.
~quartz is good too! but not as fire as Sic or sapphire.
~however, quartz is not bad. it has good, very good flavor, but less durability (fragile, accident prone) and 'slightly less complete vaporiztion

OK, so now I feel like an idiot. I bought a barrel coil 16mm... will that fit with the halo? I kind of have a feeling it wont....now i feel like bigger idiot.

fuck.

Please tell me my 16mm barrel coil that i drunkenly bought wasn't a stupid decision.

fuck.

anyway, here are the price facts----

1) halo SiC by itself----80$
2) halo quartz just by itself----100$
3) halo sapphire-----50$
4) halo slim series-----50$

SO, basically 50+(either 80 for SiC or 50 for sapphire )= 100-130$

OR

turtle banger 45$. Although someone on Instagram didn't look like he was having the time of his life with it.

I, honestly, have come out more confused than I came in.

hopefully I didn't fuck myself over....:/

DrSteez,

rolln_j

@DrSteez coil type will not fit with a halo - sorry to say

@alittledabwilldoya' I dont know how you did it man - I can feel it start to thread - but it doesnt catch and just pops off - my retainer is down as far as it will go (i tried both ends of the heat sink and tried the retainer in both directions) and am pushing it down on the table as i try and screw the top nut on - I have an auberins flat coil - maybe its just a bit thicker than yours or maybe the quarts halo base isnt as thick as the SiC

@herbivore21 well if d-nails intention was it to be used on top or bottom then the threaded area on top needs to be longer or they need to thread it further down towards the first rib of the sink because clearly there is no way im getting this thing on unless i ream out the threads on the retainer - my thumbs are raw from trying

Flat coils are the prime driver for DNail equipment; having the heat retainer under the coil seems like it would protect the glass quite bit better than a naked coil.

But air is a better insulator than a Ti washer ...

the problem as I see it is there is way less air between my rig and glass though with the shorty nail

Last edited:

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass

@alittledabwilldoya' I dont know how you did it man - I can feel it start to thread - but it doesnt catch and just pops off - my retainer is down as far as it will go (i tried both ends of the heat sink and tried the retainer in both directions) and am pushing it down on the table as i try and screw the top nut on - I have an auberins flat coil - maybe its just a bit thicker than yours or maybe the quarts halo base isnt as thick as the SiC

@herbivore21 well if d-nails intention was it to be used on top or bottom then the threaded area on top needs to be longer or they need to thread it further down towards the first rib of the sink because clearly there is no way im getting this thing on unless i ream out the threads on the retainer - my thumbs are raw from trying

the problem as I see it is there is way less air between my rig and glass though with the shorty nail
Must be the Auber coil. My SiC halos and quartz halos both work on my slim series bases with d-nail, high5 and hyman flat coils but my flat coil from domeless.com is too thick.

I've come to the conclusion that the 710 whip heaters work the best with the halo dishes as they contact the entire bottom of the dish dispersing the heat evenly. My plan is to attach a thermocouple to a 710 whip heater and wire it up with a 5 pin xlr connector to go digital with the ceramic heaters.:science: Will report back once I get a chance to test it out.

herbivore21

Yes, thank you for such a detailed answer. Really appreciate it.

As for my 'rebuttal'--(this was a lot to look into and process haha!)

and please forgive me, I'm pretty stoned right now.

This is what I was talking about when I was talking about cheap ti nail and quartz insert. Reference this:
These have all been linked to me by (i think! milehighlife(?) or it was mrbonsai. Sorry, I dont remember. :/)
ti nail--20$
http://www.dhgate.com/product/boss-...le-adjustable/250478716.html#cart_view-1-null

quartz insert--15$
http://www.happydaddyproducts.net/product/quartz-insert/

this would make it around 40$ including shipping and all.

Now, if I am not mistaken, from what you have said,
~sapphire is best for flavor, hands down.
~SiC is better than quartz as it is reliable, durable, tasty and conducts heat much better.
~quartz is good too! but not as fire as Sic or sapphire.
~however, quartz is not bad. it has good, very good flavor, but less durability (fragile, accident prone) and 'slightly less complete vaporiztion

OK, so now I feel like an idiot. I bought a barrel coil 16mm... will that fit with the halo? I kind of have a feeling it wont....now i feel like bigger idiot.

fuck.

Please tell me my 16mm barrel coil that i drunkenly bought wasn't a stupid decision.

fuck.

anyway, here are the price facts----

1) halo SiC by itself----80$
2) halo quartz just by itself----100$
3) halo sapphire-----50$
4) halo slim series-----50$

SO, basically 50+(either 80 for SiC or 50 for sapphire )= 100-130$

OR

turtle banger 45$. Although someone on Instagram didn't look like he was having the time of his life with it.

I, honestly, have come out more confused than I came in.

hopefully I didn't fuck myself over....:/

Hey man, it took me a few reads to get my head around this post (just took a gargantuan rosin dab!) but let me clarify a little more.

Quartz and ti are as a rule, last gen dabbing surfaces. Both make major sacrifices either in taste or wasting your oil.

The one exception is the D-nail quartz halo, which has a machined surface which spreads the dab evenly across the dish to ensure quicker, fuller evaporation and better tasting hits. Flat coil also means that heat is put onto the dabbing surface at the floor of the dish, not just the sides. Other quartz will be varying levels of not as good. The tasty ones will give pooling of the dab (incomplete vaporization) to varying degrees. The ones that vape fully will not taste very nice. Quartz that needs to be made hotter to compensate for poor heat distribution on the dish will taste bad and defeat the purpose of the quartz in the first place.

I have never used the genesis with quartz but honestly do believe that this is likely among the best of the last generation of nails (I'm talking about the legit one, I dunno about the knock-offs). Still, the main reason why the genesis with quartz insert may not suit some is more likely that the size of the quartz insert may not be big enough to do the sized dabs that you want. If this is not an issue, then this could be considered. I would still choose a cheap domeless ceramic nail over any cheap quartz or ti personally. Flavor and vaporization will be superior.

If you choose to do so, buy the quartz or sic halo from the slim series base page on their site - not the nails page. They are included with slim series bases for a discounted price!

Also I daresay that the 16mm coil was a bad idea, all of the best current nails tend to use 20mm or flat coils IME and AFAIK.

If you decide to choose a halo, please get one of the flat coil heaters that are known to be compatible as described in this thread. Some flat coils are thicker than others.

Oh also the Sapphire halo is not available to public and is much, much more expensive than $50! The $50 sapphire item is the sapphire insert, which is used with either of the quartz or SiC halos (requires one of these and a base).

Sic with a slim series base and sapphire insert would be $170 at current price. Quartz halo with the same would be $190.

Which brand of enail coil are you using bro? I wonder if you have a coil which is thicker than ours? Also, remember for all concerned that according to D-nail's pictures, you are not meant to use the retainer at all with the flat coil.

I can even get my retainer to fit on top of my 220v coil below my halo comfortably when using it on the 45 degree adapter (without the small retaining nut)!

I can very comfortably get my retainer to fit on top of my 120v coil with a halo on top as well! Have done this since before all of you had SiC halos yet on 2 different slim series bases.

From here on in, can anyone asking about this particular topic specify the brand of heater coil they are using? Will help me a lot in helping you :)

Must be the Auber coil. My SiC halos and quartz halos both work on my slim series bases with d-nail, high5 and hyman flat coils but my flat coil from domeless.com is too thick.

I've come to the conclusion that the 710 whip heaters work the best with the halo dishes as they contact the entire bottom of the dish dispersing the heat evenly. My plan is to attach a thermocouple to a 710 whip heater and wire it up with a 5 pin xlr connector to go digital with the ceramic heaters.:science: Will report back once I get a chance to test it out.
Lol after writing my last comment, it seems like @MileHighLife identified the problem here! Beat me to it lol

DrSteez

Hey man, it took me a few reads to get my head around this post (just took a gargantuan rosin dab!) but let me clarify a little more.

Quartz and ti are as a rule, last gen dabbing surfaces. Both make major sacrifices either in taste or wasting your oil.

The one exception is the D-nail quartz halo, which has a machined surface which spreads the dab evenly across the dish to ensure quicker, fuller evaporation and better tasting hits. Flat coil also means that heat is put onto the dabbing surface at the floor of the dish, not just the sides. Other quartz will be varying levels of not as good. The tasty ones will give pooling of the dab (incomplete vaporization) to varying degrees. The ones that vape fully will not taste very nice. Quartz that needs to be made hotter to compensate for poor heat distribution on the dish will taste bad and defeat the purpose of the quartz in the first place.

I have never used the genesis with quartz but honestly do believe that this is likely among the best of the last generation of nails (I'm talking about the legit one, I dunno about the knock-offs). Still, the main reason why the genesis with quartz insert may not suit some is more likely that the size of the quartz insert may not be big enough to do the sized dabs that you want. If this is not an issue, then this could be considered. I would still choose a cheap domeless ceramic nail over any cheap quartz or ti personally. Flavor and vaporization will be superior.

If you choose to do so, buy the quartz or sic halo from the slim series base page on their site - not the nails page. They are included with slim series bases for a discounted price!

Also I daresay that the 16mm coil was a bad idea, all of the best current nails tend to use 20mm or flat coils IME and AFAIK.

If you decide to choose a halo, please get one of the flat coil heaters that are known to be compatible as described in this thread. Some flat coils are thicker than others.

Oh also the Sapphire halo is not available to public and is much, much more expensive than $50! The $50 sapphire item is the sapphire insert, which is used with either of the quartz or SiC halos (requires one of these and a base).

Sic with a slim series base and sapphire insert would be $170 at current price. Quartz halo with the same would be $190.

Which brand of enail coil are you using bro? I wonder if you have a coil which is thicker than ours? Also, remember for all concerned that according to D-nail's pictures, you are not meant to use the retainer at all with the flat coil.

I can even get my retainer to fit on top of my 220v coil below my halo comfortably when using it on the 45 degree adapter (without the small retaining nut)!

I can very comfortably get my retainer to fit on top of my 120v coil with a halo on top as well! Have done this since before all of you had SiC halos yet on 2 different slim series bases.

From here on in, can anyone asking about this particular topic specify the brand of heater coil they are using? Will help me a lot in helping you :)

Lol after writing my last comment, it seems like @MileHighLife identified the problem here! Beat me to it lol

OK first off to answer your questions,

I have an Auber rdk-200 controller with a coil i got from amazon.(yes....yes...i was drunk, purchased it instead of the highfive vape...they kinda sketched me out and i saw so many peole here with auber controller units.)

I realized I definitely can return the coil from amazon and opt for the flat coil.

This is the coil I mentioned. Same company for the 16mm barrel coil.
http://www.amazon.com/Aiicioo-120V-..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=07YDBFGNCEE30PSVQRBR

So, I'll probably return the barrel coil (i thinK ) and order the flat coil. They had the barrel to my door in less than 2 days!

If you don't mind me asking, do you work for d-nail or something similar? Or is the halo with (x) inserts THAT outrageously fantastic? (serious question, all you guys know a hell of a lot more than me. I've been away for so long, this is all new to me.. i just want to dab.. why is it so difficult?!?! hahah) where are the dome and skillets?! (does anyone remember those? :D)

If you say they are good (and judging from your signature, looks like you've got all the options lol) then i'll take your word for it. It's a bummer the headshops around me wont let you try shit out. Not to mention the dispensaries. You pay so much for a nail online and then still have a chance of either it not working/not fitting/not liking/etc.. :/

---Back onto the topic at hand. i lost track of what we were saying.--

I can definitely fix my mess-up, so its all good. Buy the flat coil and possibly see if I can invest in those halo nails with a nice insert.

Anyone looking for a pharmacology or pathology text book? lol.. better start selling my stuff if I want to invest so heavily on the nail. But on the plus side---I'll probably never have to buy a nail ever again after that... so that's what? 5 months..

$150 / 5mo=30$ a month to rock an efficient flavor beast.

steep, sure, but worth it? most probably.

god dam herbivore.

decisions, decisions. :(

:)

DrSteez,

herbivore21

OK first off to answer your questions,

I have an Auber rdk-200 controller with a coil i got from amazon.(yes....yes...i was drunk, purchased it instead of the highfive vape...they kinda sketched me out and i saw so many peole here with auber controller units.)

I realized I definitely can return the coil from amazon and opt for the flat coil.

This is the coil I mentioned. Same company for the 16mm barrel coil.
http://www.amazon.com/Aiicioo-120V-Heater-Thermocouple-Systems/dp/B0177DETRC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41rJWwXlgOL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=07YDBFGNCEE30PSVQRBR

So, I'll probably return the barrel coil (i thinK ) and order the flat coil. They had the barrel to my door in less than 2 days!

If you don't mind me asking, do you work for d-nail or something similar? Or is the halo with (x) inserts THAT outrageously fantastic? (serious question, all you guys know a hell of a lot more than me. I've been away for so long, this is all new to me.. i just want to dab.. why is it so difficult?!?! hahah) where are the dome and skillets?! (does anyone remember those? :D)

If you say they are good (and judging from your signature, looks like you've got all the options lol) then i'll take your word for it. It's a bummer the headshops around me wont let you try shit out. Not to mention the dispensaries. You pay so much for a nail online and then still have a chance of either it not working/not fitting/not liking/etc.. :/

---Back onto the topic at hand. i lost track of what we were saying.--

I can definitely fix my mess-up, so its all good. Buy the flat coil and possibly see if I can invest in those halo nails with a nice insert.

Anyone looking for a pharmacology or pathology text book? lol.. better start selling my stuff if I want to invest so heavily on the nail. But on the plus side---I'll probably never have to buy a nail ever again after that... so that's what? 5 months..

$150 / 5mo=30$ a month to rock an efficient flavor beast.

steep, sure, but worth it? most probably.

god dam herbivore.

decisions, decisions. :(

:)
Greetings again!

I don't work for D-nail, I do beta test their products though. I have spend untold fortune on their products because they are simply the best in my experience. :)

As you've seen in my sig, I've got all of the current dnail lineup including the sapphire halo.

The sapphire halo is unequivocally better than anything else I've ever dabbed on.

SiC and Quartz halos involved trade-offs and it depends how you are going to use it as to which will be best. Both are outstanding nails. I have owned/used various pukinbeagle quartz nails ($$$$), the infiniti, a bunch of domeless.com nails, Hive and a few assorted cheap quartz and ti (also dabbed on the sublimator).

I have been using the halos now for quite some time as nothing else I have used in the past compares to any one of them!

The short answer to your question is IMHO - they really are that good!

Good enough to have many think that I work for dnail. I assure you all, they've never paid me a penny.

If you can only spare the funds for one right now, I'd suggest the SiC. Get a sapphire insert if you got the funds, it is delicious! If not, the halo is the main thing anyway so you'll be good :) you could always get one later if you like.

That should last you a lifetime with the minimum of care (don't drop it onto a hard surface from a great height and you're good). You can also torch it as hard as you like with a butane torch without oxidative degradation of the nail. Sure helps cleaning!

Do not torch the sapphire insert. Sapphire must not be torched.

Hope this helps :)

herbivore21,
Reactions: pigfoot

Gonzo_da_wind

has anyone used sapphire insert for conduction vaporizationbecause id question weather it was the sapphire as a material or the method of vaporization using convection that gives it the better flavor anyone know from experience

Gonzo_da_wind,

Gonzo_da_wind

The liger does not have a nub shaped insert it's a two side cup one smaller than the other
OK so basically... Titanium is best for uniform heating and durability.

Quartz is best for flavor but is fragile and can break. I've noticed a lot of brands and companies just throw these two together...

Liger... Full titanium body with a small nub shaped quartz dish.

Turtle banger... Quartz surrounded by titanium.

Halo... Ti but quartz "halo dish"

I was wondering... If i had a piece of broken quartz, quartz is quartz right?

What if I just threw that on my domeless? Yea, it might jiggle jiggle around, but wouldn't the gist of the flavor saving be made?

Let's say I have a quartz clock or something. and it burst into a bunch of pieces. I take a small piece and throw it in middle of my ti nail. As I heat the ti nail, the quartz also gets warmed from direct heat of the ti (being warmed by the enail coil)

Would this serve the same purpose as the other ones?

The ultimate "poor man's not spending 100$ on something ican do for 15$"

Edit: obviously it wouldn't be tight fitting or pretty. But that would avoid the whole problem of thermal shock, right?

Gonzo_da_wind,

herbivore21

has anyone used sapphire insert for conduction vaporizationbecause id question weather it was the sapphire as a material or the method of vaporization using convection that gives it the better flavor anyone know from experience
Yes :)

I have dabbed on sapphire inserts conduction style in an infiniti large dish for a long time before using it convection style in the SiC, Quartz and Sapphire halos. I now dab on a sapphire halo as my daily driver and have for a long time.

The sapphire makes a bigger difference to the flavor than convection IME (but the convection definitely makes a difference too). I do not use the sapphire insert much now that I have a sapphire halo though for the sake of expediency, but loved using it with the SiC (by the time I had quartz, I had sapphire too so I only used the insert with quartz once or twice).

Conduction sapphire insert dabs on ti are a delicious and much cheaper option for those who prefer smaller dabs and don't mind being careful not to overflow their dabs onto ti ;)

rolln_j

well shit of course its my auberins coil - lol fml - Im ready to grind some metal off that dam thing

to your second point about the 710 whip - exactly - with the first rib of the slimline nail being not much bigger than the first of 3 loops in my coil, the outside loop doesnt solidly contact the bottom of the dish leaving gaps because it is not sandwiched

when I use my 1.3 base (where the first rib is the same size as the retainer) the coil makes much better contact to the bottom of the sic dish - if they had just machined the threads further down a turn...

I would really like a heater similar to the whip being just a solid piece as opposed to a coil

Im using the auberins coil - I can get my retainer to fit on the top as there is 1/8" of un-threaded post on the heat sink, but that is truly pointless and doesnt solve the issue with the gaps between the coil and retainer and it wont do anything to keep the heat away from my custom matching color claim catcher/ drop down

so if it isnt meant to be used with any halo maybe there should be an option that doesnt include it so I dont get charged for something I cant use

Last edited:

DrSteez

Greetings again!

I don't work for D-nail, I do beta test their products though. I have spend untold fortune on their products because they are simply the best in my experience. :)

As you've seen in my sig, I've got all of the current dnail lineup including the sapphire halo.

The sapphire halo is unequivocally better than anything else I've ever dabbed on.

SiC and Quartz halos involved trade-offs and it depends how you are going to use it as to which will be best. Both are outstanding nails. I have owned/used various pukinbeagle quartz nails ($$$$), the infiniti, a bunch of domeless.com nails, Hive and a few assorted cheap quartz and ti (also dabbed on the sublimator).

I have been using the halos now for quite some time as nothing else I have used in the past compares to any one of them!

The short answer to your question is IMHO - they really are that good!

Good enough to have many think that I work for dnail. I assure you all, they've never paid me a penny.

If you can only spare the funds for one right now, I'd suggest the SiC. Get a sapphire insert if you got the funds, it is delicious! If not, the halo is the main thing anyway so you'll be good :) you could always get one later if you like.

That should last you a lifetime with the minimum of care (don't drop it onto a hard surface from a great height and you're good). You can also torch it as hard as you like with a butane torch without oxidative degradation of the nail. Sure helps cleaning!

Do not torch the sapphire insert. Sapphire must not be torched.

Hope this helps :)

you are awesome.

i love everyone on this forum. So down to help. always good vibes.

So, if they are THAT good, then I must get one. I dont want to get anything less.

As for my problem, I purchased that flat coil off amazon, I just simply cannot spend almost 100$ just on the d-nail flat coil if I'm going to spend almost 200 on the nail. I wish times were better or simply wasn't in med shcool right now, but whatever-i love what im doin. anyway, If the amazon coil works, it works. Or is there something specific and special about the d-nail flat coil that other coils do not possess?

I've scowered craigslist and ebay and stuff looking and hoping there's someone that's upgraded their setup or moving on or whatever. nothing yet. Would i get good/any feedback if i posted to FC classifieds? Possibly get a deal on a halo nail with or without insert.

You said, "SiC and Quartz halos involved trade-offs and it depends how you are going to use it as to which will be best. "--- please excuse me, but what do you mean by that?

if any of this information helps in deciding which insert to get on the halo... I usually only get live resins and nug run stuff.. I Medicate at night after I'm done my 10 hour study sesh for the day. Smoke for a few hours, sometiems with friends then sleep.

Rinse and Repeat.

I plan to leave the enail on for atleast 1-3 hours max (when I'm up at night playing on computer or watching a movie)

SO, hopefully some of that information helps in figuring out which insert i should choose! :)

I've had a ceramic nail or two in the past- but they always crack and get all gross and gnarly.

and for your sapphire insert, is it fragile? I dont plan to use a torch, ever, after buying the enail.

DrSteez,

reskey

@rolln_j

I asked Dnail about the heat retainer, and they responded that it was for use with a torch. That makes much more sense to me.

reskey,

tylerj55

Has anybody else had major issues with their quartz halo chipping across the bottom? Mine is chipping all around the bottom and I made sure it isn't on too tight or anything. I keep the nail at 690 and clean with alcohol. I wish I had gone with the SiC nail again. :/

tylerj55,

DrSteez

Has anybody else had major issues with their quartz halo chipping across the bottom? Mine is chipping all around the bottom and I made sure it isn't on too tight or anything. I keep the nail at 690 and clean with alcohol. I wish I had gone with the SiC nail again. :/
The sic instead of the quartz?

DrSteez,

MileHighLife

Mine has chipped along the bottom edge, too. I make sure and line the chip up with the point where the flat coil unwinds because the heating element bulges up a bit there as it changes from flat to round which is what caused the chip in the first place. No more chips since.

MileHighLife,
Reactions: pigfoot

tylerj55

Mine has chipped along the bottom edge, too. I make sure and line the chip up with the point where the flat coil unwinds because the heating element bulges up a bit there as it changes from flat to round which is what caused the chip in the first place. No more chips since.

Ah! That makes sense and thanks for the info! It definitely sucks that it is necessary to do, but you live and you learn I guess. I wonder if this is the case with sapphire as well? I am going to have to order a SiC again eventually I guess.

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
Removed the heat retainer from underneath my SiC Halo.
Much better ... It's like they designed it that way. :rolleyes:

The Halo sits even lower than before and looks cleaner.
The nail is that much lighter (NO TIPPY!).
And most important, I'm back to running at my normal temperature of 627*.
With the heat retainer underneath I had to run ~20* higher on the controller (no thermo yet).

I screwed it down nice and tight (I wouldn't go so tight on my Quartz Halo), no gap:

NK2H6r0.jpg

:D

rolln_j

@tylerj55 @MileHighLife
I wonder if the heat retainer on top of your coil would prevent your quartz from chipping - what I notice is none of these flat coils are actually flat and they bulge - not to mention expand and contract when they heat up and cool

@MileHighLife how hot is your drop down getting next to the heat sink??

@rolln_j

I asked Dnail about the heat retainer, and they responded that it was for use with a torch. That makes much more sense to me.

thx for the info - seems like it would make more sense then to not include it and charge me for it if I cant use it

d-nail has been flailing as of late with these cheap chinese tshirt presses they sell as a rosin press - they bend and warp within a week to the point of being un-uasable - I know personally 2 people with these that have been unable to get their money back

rolln_j,

tylerj55

@tylerj55 @MileHighLife
I wonder if the heat retainer on top of your coil would prevent your quartz from chipping - what I notice is none of these flat coils are actually flat and they bulge - not to mention expand and contract when they heat up and cool

thx for the info - seems like it would make more sense then to not include it and charge me for it if I cant use it

d-nail has been flailing as of late with these cheap chinese tshirt presses they sell as a rosin press - they bend and warp within a week to the point of being un-uasable - I know personally 2 people with these that have been unable to get their money back

That would probably work really well and I think I'll pick one up so I can hopefully prevent further chipping. I am disappointed with the fact their rosin press is a cheap rebrand and it breaks. That is something I was really looking into getting. I am tired of trying to find connects for shatter around here since most of it is tane soup and/or way too pricey. I know a lot of people with grade a flowers though, and have been pressing my nugs with a hair straightener lately and that is a whole lot of work for how much I dab!! lol

MileHighLife

@tylerj55 @MileHighLife

Yeah it probably would prevent further chipping. I'm not a fan of that method of assembly as the heater retainer doesn't cover the entire base of the dish, though. Hopefully I'll be using 710 heating elements instead of flat coils in the near future which should also prevent any more chipping.

If you're talking about the pic with the super short slim series using the Infiniti 14/18 male adapter the joint got super hot. I never checked the temp of the joint with a thermometer but I'd never put it in a nice piece of glass setup like that ... that's for sure.

herbivore21

@tylerj55 @MileHighLife

As I said when the retainer was released (before the slim series bases with the sapphire halo), this component was originally released to keep uneven expansion of heating coils from breaking sapphire halos. However, it has been found that this is unnecessary for this purpose. The quartz halos never required anything to keep them safe from the coil and you should be fine to continue using it without the retainer on top or on bottom.

I prefer to use the retainer on top for my quartz and sapphire halos though, as it is much easier to take the nail apart and put it together with something keeping the heater in place while you change dishes. For SiC though, I don't use the retainer - it has it's own dedicated slim series base and heater ;)

MPZ

I decided to smell my lotus after your clarification, i think i know what you mean about a "hot flat iron smell". My guess is that the smell is from the element itself and not the Ti shell. Maybe one of us can take it apart and heat it without the Ti nipple and see if the smell is still there.

Hmm... That's a possibility. I didn't notice the smell when I used my best friend's D-nail (pukinbeagle quartz) years ago (some "5 star" bubble from a dispensary that I'm pretty sure had mold because my friends and I agreed it tasted like crap- and that's how I felt on it), but then again he only had encased coils- which the lotus may or may not have under the TI shell.

In other news, long story short my D-nail setup is on it's way back to albany- I'm returning it (props to D-nail customer service once again). Even if it was just the coil I was smelling, my experience with the lotus made me realize that it is extremely likely I react to oxidized titanium- I have always had adverse reactions to Ti coils on e-cig battery powered oil atomizers. I always figured this was due to hotspots burning my oil, but in retrospect I have overheated my ceramic e-cig atomizers to probably a similar point without the same reaction (though it's hard to compare temps of course). Also, I only use Tetra Labs pure gold- and unless limonene burns, there's nothing really left to burn in it.

I'm curious if anyone else using any kind of non-encased coil has noticed a "hot flat iron" type of smell with their nose 2-5 inches from their coil.

Now, since my D-nail is on its way back to HQ (and soon to be returned and no longer mine) I have been evaluation all my other options. I started by thinking back over the best experiences I have had- the "cleanest" vaping expereinces- and trying to research the airpath of those vapes (and the airpath of vaporizers that didn't quite deliver on that front). What I found was that what works for me is Glass/ceramic airpaths (Vaporbrothers and Thermovape Ceras- the vaporborthers had a stainless screen, but I don't seem to have a problem with stainless- and thermovape never released details on the composition of their custom heating wire, but I got the impression it was also iron-based). With that in mind, I have taken a look at what's out there.

Does anyone have any reason I shouldn't opt for a Galaxy E-nails setup?

Their vortex vaporizer is essentially a glass/ceramic lotus (except the vortex effect is implemented via a glass adapter), and their Odyssey e-nail has a fully encased heating element. There are other ceramic/glass vaporizers out there, but as far as I can tell they aren't pid-controlled- and temperature control is quite important to me for the sake of controlling the effects profile I get. Granted, the Herbalizer temperature control is on point (I got to demo one with Herbalizer staff) and according to the Herbalizer thread here I could probably get one for ~$500, but there are significant drawbacks with that option that I don't like (they're off topic in this thread). I do wish I had a friend with one so I could test it with oil though.

@herbivore21
I'd love your thoughts on this :)

MPZ,
Top Bottom