next generation e-nails?

jnbowmar

if anyone wants a carb cap the idab carb cap fits okay.

i bought one for the sic halo but i like a ceramic univeral one i already have better on the sic. on the fence about throwing it on ebay. sure is cool to watch the vapor appear right there cause its glass tho.

the one from dnail is better im sure but i love it with ceramic cap i got so i prolly wont get the dnail one unless it makes the flavor retard good or something. just another 50 i can use towards a saphire or quartz halo i suppose.

herbivore21

hah I was just looking everywhere on d-nails site for that base - then I came back here and saw your next post about it not being available yet - lol

question for you - sorry if you covered this

whats the preferred method to clean the SiC dish?

thx again for all your advice - Im really enjoying dabs at 601 degrees on the SiC

12081210_1664777703806429_1823281320_n.jpg
SiC can be cleaned by jacking the heat right up on your coil, or by taking the dish off and torching the crap out of it (butane torch, not propane).

BoogerMan

SiC can be cleaned by jacking the heat right up on your coil, or by taking the dish off and torching the crap out of it (butane torch, not propane).
By "taking the dish off" do you mean removing the ti insert and base and just torching the dish?

I thought it would be okay to leave the ti parts on there but I figured I'd ask before trying it myself :)

herbivore21

By "taking the dish off" do you mean removing the ti insert and base and just torching the dish?

I thought it would be okay to leave the ti parts on there but I figured I'd ask before trying it myself :)
Ohhh I should say I take the dish off to minimize oxidative degradation of ti from torching, still you could torch it altogether with the base attached and just keep the flame on the sic carefully, just ensure that you detach your heater coil before torching ;)

BoogerMan

Ohhh I should say I take the dish off to minimize oxidative degradation of ti from torching, still you could torch it altogether with the base attached and just keep the flame on the sic carefully, just ensure that you detach your heater coil before torching ;)
Awesome thanks!

What do you use to hold the sic dish while torching? I need a good pair of pliers or tongs that are safe to hold these nails for torch cleaning :D

herbivore21

Awesome thanks!

What do you use to hold the sic dish while torching? I need a good pair of pliers or tongs that are safe to hold these nails for torch cleaning :D

I happen to have a heat resistant surface that I just sit the dish on top of and torch. Find a nice thick piece of stainless steel and you'll be sorted :)

Anybody have the diy dnail. I'm wondering how complicated it actually is to diy

Yup, I've assembled 2 of these, not difficult at all, no soldering or anything required (pre cut wires with terminals supplied) :)

BoogerMan

I happen to have a heat resistant surface that I just sit the dish on top of and torch. Find a nice thick piece of stainless steel and you'll be sorted :)

Yup, I've assembled 2 of these, not difficult at all, no soldering or anything required (pre cut wires with terminals supplied) :)
That's great advice! Thank you!

I've always thought about holding my nails with pliers and torching. I never once thought to put the nail on a heat resistant surface :doh:

Monsoon

I actually torch mine between hits while the e-nail is running, so far no issues after 3 months of heavy use. The coil is going to die someday anyway so it's not a huge concern to me if it reduces the lifetime. I do use a torch with a very narrow flame though so I can torch around the inside of the dish without getting near the heater.

jnbowmar

I actually torch mine between hits while the e-nail is running, so far no issues after 3 months of heavy use. The coil is going to die someday anyway so it's not a huge concern to me if it reduces the lifetime. I do use a torch with a very narrow flame though so I can torch around the inside of the dish without getting near the heater.

i do the exact same thing. sic just wont get hot enough otherwise and i aint made of butane. my torches flame game is weak sauce anyway so it seems like no big deal going to get a new coil before it dies anyway.

Ive thought about getting another sic dish and going to town on it with a propane torch to degrade some it to quartz and see if i can improve the flavor a little while keeping that awsome vapor density. Anyone hear of someone doing that yet?

jnbowmar,
Reactions: rolln_j

rolln_j

gla

thanks - my nail used to hit 900+ pretty easy before I put the sic dish on it - seems to have more insulating properties than the TI or its just that much larger, but it doesn't really wanna get over 850

and thanks for clarifying not propane - bc thats actually the type of torch I have

rolln_j,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
i do the exact same thing. sic just wont get hot enough otherwise and i aint made of butane. my torches flame game is weak sauce anyway so it seems like no big deal going to get a new coil before it dies anyway.

Ive thought about getting another sic dish and going to town on it with a propane torch to degrade some it to quartz and see if i can improve the flavor a little while keeping that awsome vapor density. Anyone hear of someone doing that yet?

I think that SiC is actually more chemically inert than quartz.
So SiC should taste better than quartz (or at least more true to the conentrate being vaped).

alittledabwilldoya'

Hmmm ...

I definitely want a Sapphire Halo, and the Quartz Halo is hella sexy, I'm just not sure if the quartz will be superior in flavor to the SiC.

@herbivore21 you mentioned a few situations in which you preferred the quartz halo.
Has your opinion changed any?

Thanks.

Edit: Currently re-reading your previous posts for the halo breakdown.

ReEdit: Fuck it, I just placed a Quartz Halo in my pre-order cart.

:D

ReReEdit: Thanks @Monsoon for the heads-up!

:rockon:

Last edited:

BoogerMan

From what I remember, the SiC nail usually wins, but for some oils, quartz actually tasted better.

I have the SiC nail and I'm also debating whether or not to get a Quartz halo.

I think I'm going to save the money for a sapphire halo and a female base since sapphire will have more of a taste difference compared to SiC (versus the taste difference between SiC and Quartz).

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Finally got in on the e-nail game
3150l8i.jpg

The D-Nail DIY kit was very simple to assemble. And fun. Love stuff like that :science:

I'll be comparing the D-Nail 1.2 unit with the High Five Vapes unit and the D-Nail extended life coil with High Five Vapes and Domeless.com flat coils. I'm interested to see differences in performance between control units and life of the coils as the D-Nail unit and coils are both about 3 times the price of the High Five and I've read that the High Five isn't bad.

FYI the Hive carb cap with stinger works great with the SiC dish. It's about 31mm dia. and the SiC dish is about 27mm dia. Couldn't find that info anywhere so thought I'd share.

Monsoon

Finally got in on the e-nail game
3150l8i.jpg

The D-Nail DIY kit was very simple to assemble. And fun. Love stuff like that :science:

I'll be comparing the D-Nail 1.2 unit with the High Five Vapes unit and the D-Nail extended life coil with High Five Vapes and Domeless.com flat coils. I'm interested to see differences in performance between control units and life of the coils as the D-Nail unit and coils are both about 3 times the price of the High Five and I've read that the High Five isn't bad.

FYI the Hive carb cap with stinger works great with the SiC dish. It's about 31mm dia. and the SiC dish is about 27mm dia. Couldn't find that info anywhere so thought I'd share.
I love that everybody's getting SiC Halos now, I'm still loving mine. I've been trying Q-Tip tek on it and while it's not ideal it is keeping it cleaner and getting some of the resin on the edge where it pools.

I'm looking forward to your comparison, you should try to judge how well the coils works too. My Gimido flat coil looks a bit different compared to D-Nail's and I do notice some parts of the dish aren't heated as evenly. It's most apparent when I leave it on at 950F+ for a couple hours and most of the surface turns to white ash except for some dark spots which I guess aren't heated as well.

BoogerMan

I love that everybody's getting SiC Halos now, I'm still loving mine. I've been trying Q-Tip tek on it and while it's not ideal it is keeping it cleaner and getting some of the resin on the edge where it pools.

I'm looking forward to your comparison, you should try to judge how well the coils works too. My Gimido flat coil looks a bit different compared to D-Nail's and I do notice some parts of the dish aren't heated as evenly. It's most apparent when I leave it on at 950F+ for a couple hours and most of the surface turns to white ash except for some dark spots which I guess aren't heated as well.
Have you checked the way your coil is seated under the SiC nail?

If you look at @MileHighLife's pic you can see the coil is shifted to the right a little.

If you hold the coil in place while screwing it all together you can keep the coil more centered.

Idk if this will make a difference in even temps all the way around but it's worth a shot if you haven't done so already :D

herbivore21

Hmmm ...

I definitely want a Sapphire Halo, and the Quartz Halo is hella sexy, I'm just not sure if the quartz will be superior in flavor to the SiC.

@herbivore21 you mentioned a few situations in which you preferred the quartz halo.
Has your opinion changed any?

Thanks.

Edit: Currently re-reading your previous posts for the halo breakdown.

ReEdit: Fuck it, I just placed a Quartz Halo in my pre-order cart.

:D

ReReEdit: Thanks @Monsoon for the heads-up!

Hey man, I've used the quartz halo quite a bit more now and it is great (although can't use anything but SiC atm, my extended life flat coil had an issue and died so I am without an enail right now - dnail have got me covered for warranty though)! You'll love the effects, it is tasty as fuck and thanks to the machining, isn't a pain in the ass with most of your oil trailing off the nail after the hit. The quartz halo is what quartz nails should have been all along!

I have come to find after dialling in perfect temps that for most materials, the quartz halo tastes better than SiC. For some (especially CBD extracts), it is even better than sapphire!

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Have you checked the way your coil is seated under the SiC nail?

If you look at @MileHighLife's pic you can see the coil is shifted to the right a little.

If you hold the coil in place while screwing it all together you can keep the coil more centered.

Idk if this will make a difference in even temps all the way around but it's worth a shot if you haven't done so already :D
My coil just sort of floats around and the retaining nut is screwed down as far as it can go. Been pissing me off. I have to fix the coil any time I move the rig around ... which is a lot because I lift it to hit it. I need a ti washer or something.

BoogerMan

Hey man, I've used the quartz halo quite a bit more now and it is great (although can't use anything but SiC atm, my extended life flat coil had an issue and died so I am without an enail right now - dnail have got me covered for warranty though)! You'll love the effects, it is tasty as fuck and thanks to the machining, isn't a pain in the ass with most of your oil trailing off the nail after the hit. The quartz halo is what quartz nails should have been all along!

I have come to find after dialling in perfect temps that for most materials, the quartz halo tastes better than SiC. For some (especially CBD extracts), it is even better than sapphire!
Damn why did you have to go and change your mind lol. Now it looks like I need to get a Quartz halo too :rolleyes: maybe I'll hold off until the female adapter comes out. Must resist :ko:

alittledabwilldoya'

My coil just sort of floats around and the retaining nut is screwed down as far as it can go. Been pissing me off. I have to fix the coil any time I move the rig around ... which is a lot because I lift it to hit it. I need a ti washer or something.

Your locking nut is probably upside down.
It's not symmetrical.

rolln_j

Your locking nut is probably upside down.
It's not symmetrical.

you gots to turn your nut around son

Top Bottom