newbie in UK needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
hey guys!

first post here :) been browsing the forums for a few days reading up as much as i can on vapes and i've decided to step out of the darkness :ninja:..

i'm a heavy smoker, and have been for practically 10 years, but also have quite bad asthma. worse yet i always smoked joints with tobacco unfiltered, so my chest really has taken a beating!!

so, trying to remain health conscious i'm looking to give up joints and tobacco (at least as much as poss, maybe have the odd one when i'm out and about) so i want to get myself a vape :D

if i list my criteria you may be able to offer advice, if you'd all be so kind (which i'm sure you will haha)
* price is not a problem (blazing through uni paid off as i now have a good job :))
* portability/stealth is not a big concern (have my own house, parents smoke, so do all my family, as does my housemate!)
* durability is definitely something i want - don't want to spend money only to have it break. so either something that will last or something that has a good waranty!
* sturdiness (don't wanna break shit when i'm stoned as hell or pissed up!)
* ability to get a fat hit (i've also been a big bong smoker so want something a bit meaty)

the only vape i've ever tried is the volcano (apart from some really shitty one my friend had years ago) and that was awesome, but i don't think the bag type is suited to me, as i want something i can casually toke without a massive bag in my hand.

one thing to consider i live in the UK so need a retailer who can ship here, relatively speedy (i'm itching to get a vape and join the club!). could anybody recommend a reputable retailer?

i was interested in the PD but it seems that'll take too long to get my hands on one. as for 7th floor is SSV worth it over DBV? i know i said price isn't a problem, but who doesn't want to save money if they can!?

sorry to bombard with questions but it's a whole new world out there and i need some guidance :) then i can get blazed without the worry of my chest giving me serious problems, and me and cannabis can live in harmony ;)

so if someone/anyone/everyone could get me their recommendation which meets what i've said i'll be forever endebted to you all!

wow that was long! so thats my first post over, and it won't be the last!
thanks,
Nick

BlazedAndConfused,

NoSmoke

1. Vriptech Heat Wand (Fragile)
2. Herborizer (Easier for you to get in the UK, if you want taste you have to go fragile) ;)
3. SSV (durable, wand can be broken though, but overall is pretty thick) < not as tasty as first two
4. Glass Vapor Genie ( I like glass :D its all about the taste)
5. Da Buddha ( honestly I would go SSV if you go this route) :D
6. Mytrlezap (similar to PD, no wait time)

There are a lot of choices out there, especially if moneys not an issue! Good luck! Also when ordering see if you can use one of the FC discounts in the seller/distributor thread!

Also Ideal is one the greatest shows to come out of the UK since The Office! Great stuff! Totally random but I just got done watching some and laughing my ass off!

NoSmoke,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Since you said durability is an issue I'm gonna say the herbalaire could be a good bet. Definitely more durable than the SSV or DBV. I would not trip about knocking it off a table on to a wood floor. Haha okay I would trip, but the vape would be fine. SSV will give you fatter whip hits than a herbalaire though most likely and it also has a glass airpath as aooposed to the HA steel and teflon. You could look into an extreme s well, not as durable but they have a good warranty and the glass can cheaply be replaced.

What about a zephyr ion?? have you looked into those? Supposed to compete with volcano I think you can also use a whip and it looks super durable. I think it's 350?

PD style vapes aren't gonna give you super fat hits lik the other vapes metioned.

Giid luck, hope you get lucky

bluntfaced,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
Mr niksta

I live in the Uk as well. Currently you cant get a PD delivered, I managed to get one just before it stopped. They had a lot of problems with international mail getting lost I think.

Currently im trying to decide between SSV ( I just think i prefer the way it looks over the DBV and I like the idea it has a smaller airstream which can give a slightly higher vapor to air ratio)

or a Vrip tech wand.

I just cant decide.

Happycamper,

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
cheers for all the advice guys :)

@NoSmoke i don't really like the look of the wand, and the glass ones look too fragile for my liking! i'd rather get the PD over the myrtlezap so that's not really an option either.

@bluntfaced i was thinking about the herbalaire, but as i said i'm not too keen on a jack of all trades master of none. if i was to go bag i'd have a volcano but since i'm not too keen on bag i'd rather something that focuses on one method of delivery.

@happycamper where are you planning to order a vape from? i'm just trying to establish some reputable dealers who will ship to the UK promptly and without hassle :)

someone mentioned fuckcombustion affiliates, so do they do overseas shipping does anybody know? how would i go about utilising the potential discounts offered if so?

from what everyone has said i think an SSV or DBV is the way to go :-) just don't know whether to go all the way and get the SSV or same a bit of cash which i can spend on the herb instead haha. what is meant by hands-free smoking? i know what you mean, but why would i want to just have a pipe in my mouth and not hold it? i've always held a joint or a bong so i'm quite ok with holding things haha. or do you mean that i wouldn't have to use both hands i.e. one to hold the piece on the heat element and hold the end in my mouth with the other hand?

thanks again guys, your help has been much appreciated :D

BlazedAndConfused,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
mr.nicksta said:
@happycamper where are you planning to order a vape from? i'm just trying to establish some reputable dealers who will ship to the UK promptly and without hassle :)
Ive checked with the actual makers of DVB and SSV at 7th floor and you can buy directly a UK version with UK plug off their website. I can't remember how much postage was quoted to me, but it was reasonable at that time.

And really the same for the VHwand.

Happycamper,

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
awesome! i'll probably order direct then to save any hassle :)

so what;'s up with this hands-free stuff approach then? it's a little baffling to me why anyone would want to not use their hands at all while hitting the vape?

if i was to get SSV would it be recommended to get the hands free attachment and perhaps an additional wand (i think that's what they're called if i remember).

and one last thing, whats the benefit of ground glass for the wand? i'm just tryin to work out what accessories they're trying to sell you needlessly and which will actually be of benefit!

thanks again guys, after these questions have been answered i'm gonna order a vape straight away. though i doubt i'll get it before xmas now :(

BlazedAndConfused,

SmogTown

Hands-free means you don't have to hold the wand. On the standard ssv you hold the wand to the heater while also holding the mouthpiece. In hands-free you put the wand into the heater cover and then just hold the mouthpiece. The ground glass wand fits into the ground glass heater cover like the GonG attachments.

SmogTown,

Beezleb

I view hands free and standard vapes like automatic and stick shift vehicles.

It essentially comes down to preference. For me, I am all about the hands free but I can understand why some prefer the standard wand. Hands free allows you to do things like typing this while vaping. A standard vape requires you to physically have your hand on the wand holding it to the heater cover.

Now those who are experienced with standard wands will know when to turn the wand, when to stir and generally be a bit more in tune with the vapor function as it occurs. Just like knowing when best to go to second and third gear and such in a car. Typically the standard vape has a tighter/smaller air stream thus the need to rotate the wand and to stir regularly.

A hands free vape is more user friendly on new users. The air stream is generally larger thus reducing and/or eliminating the need to turn the wand while vaping but you will still need to stir after 3-5 draws or so.

I believe their is no wrong way to go. I do not believe performance is really affected by hands free or standard version. If you go with the SSV you will have two choices for hands free. The attachment or the HF heater cover and hands free wand. Generally people do not use the attachment much because you have to physically remove the attachment before you can remove the wand and this tend to be seen as a hassle but it will not come out of the SSV with the attachment where it is possible for the hands free wands to come out. Typically only an issue when learning the vape and with new people.

With hands free from ground glass, (heater cover and wand) I recommend that you place a mouse pad in front of the vape so if the wand does come out it will likely land on the mouse pad. Initially tubing is a little stiffer than normal but this does not last long. I also recommend a back up wand.

I think many peoples preferences tend to be what they started with. Hope that helped at all, and if it did, thank Da Buddha and all its hands free capabilities hehe.

Beezleb,

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
i think i might go for the DBV in that case then guys. sounds a bit fiddly having to hold the wand on! plus the monetary saving can be sent on some primo bud to put in the newly bought vape :D

BlazedAndConfused,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
Mr.nicksta ive just re read what i posted and it might be confusing. You can choose the 240v version for uk from website, but i think you have to tell them somewhere in comments about fitting it with a UK plug.

Happycamper,

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
Ah cheers for that man :) wouldn't have considered that otherwise! Did you make a decision about ssv or the wand eventually?

BlazedAndConfused,

Kogut

I just thought I'd pop in here for a quick :2c:. I was actually considering this very question over the past week. I decided that if I were to get a SSV, it would mostly be for the customizable aspects (I love the black rainbow color). In order to get a nicely painted one or any custom things on the unit, I would have had to double the amount of money I'd pay for a DBV. I could've thrown the extra $20 at it and gotten the black, but I figured if I'm going for the economical route, then I may as well save that little bit of $$ as well.

I went with the DBV because while hands-free isn't something that I require, it is something that I think I would like to have at least every once in a while (I'm used to toking off a bong, so it's not like I'm against using both hands to take a hit). I didn't want to deal with trying to make the SSV a hands-free unit, as even though it can work, the wand isn't really meant to sit in 1 fixed position on that unit. I don't mind stirring or moving the wand, but I'm sure there will be times when I am sitting here and want to just grab the wand with one hand (I smoke from my couch with a coffee table in front of me).

Overall, I made the decision based on the fact that I could save some money on the purchase, and it was designed to be a hands-free unit (90 degree angle from wand-to-heater cover + GonG standard), not a standard whip that has been wedged in place by a floppy piece of metal or some GonG connector that has to fight gravity and adds even more to the price. One day down the line, I may end up purchasing a tricked out SSV, but for now I'm anxiously awaiting that brown box to arrive at my door.

I purchased mine @ vapeworld, and I used FC12 for 12% off. All I picked up was an extra whip for $5. I figure I can order another wand direct from 7th Floor sometime soon.

Kogut,

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
thanks for the input Kogut :) the reasons you mentioned above are pretty much the extact reasons i've decided on a DBV. the SSV sounds great but you're right, the hands-free options on it don't sound particularly great. whereas as you say DBV is designed with hands-free in mind, and i can just picture myself laid back on the sofa, toking without worry - i don't want to be concerned about holding things in place and being careful not to burn myself if i'm blazed :ko:

i'm going to purchase a silver one (i don't really care about the aesthetics of the unit, plus i actually think silver is sweeter than black). also i'm going to get an ice chamber to go with it so that i can get ultra smooth hits and i'm sure my lungs will thank me for the extra filtration and re-moisturisation of the vapor :brow:

i'm going to order it right now :D i read somewhere that someone in europe ordered and it took 3 weeks, so the countdown begins! i'd pay higher postage if there was an option so that i'd have it quicker, unfortunately 7th floor dont provide alternative postage options :(

BlazedAndConfused,

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
ordered with ice chamber, extra screen and 10 foot of extrra piping! just realised i forgot an extra wand tho :(

BlazedAndConfused,

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
hey people i'm back again!

i ordered the DBV approximately a month ago and have still not received it. as you may have seen in my previous post, i am ordering to the UK, so a delay was expected. however i was hoping there would be some kind of correspondence to let me know how the order was going - whether or not it had shipped yet etc. i have not heard off them and have tried to contact them through their website and via email but with no response yet :( is this normal to have such little dialogue with them, or has something gone seriously wrong?? i cant wait any longer for my vaporiser!!

BlazedAndConfused,

max

Out to lunch
Call them- Toll Free: 1-866-835-6418. It's the best way to get through. They have been spotty with email communication in the past. You can also add an extra wand to your order while you've got them on the phone. ;)

max,

albe

mr.nicksta said:
hey people i'm back again!

i ordered the DBV approximately a month ago and have still not received it. as you may have seen in my previous post, i am ordering to the UK, so a delay was expected. however i was hoping there would be some kind of correspondence to let me know how the order was going - whether or not it had shipped yet etc. i have not heard off them and have tried to contact them through their website and via email but with no response yet :( is this normal to have such little dialogue with them, or has something gone seriously wrong?? i cant wait any longer for my vaporiser!!
i had a similar issue, ordered in November and heard nothing till the shipping email which was sent a day or two before my package arrived to Australia (late December). This was after i tried emailing them, so while they didn't reply initially maybe it did mean they got to my order tho. So it was a six week turnaround for me. Maybe this is a slower process for the 220v orders? But they should really send update emails if they stretch out longer than 2-3 weeks.

Unfortunately i think they sent the wrong version as it died on first usage ... maybe wrong voltage. So had to send it back which was a let down. Up side is, they have been much better on email communication since. Posted it back to them in late Dec so hoping that its arriving there now. They've promised to get it back ASAP.

(Mine was an SSV tho not a DBV maybe a slightly longer order time tho i wasn't customised too much.)

albe,

sharonk868

rayski said:
mr.nicksta said:
i was interested in the PD but it seems that'll take too long to get my hands on one. as for 7th floor is SSV worth it over DBV? i know i said price isn't a problem, but who doesn't want to save money if they can!?
I'd say the SSV or DBV would fit your needs. Check out this post by Max for a good comparison of two: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=43747#p43747
Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.

sharonk868,

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
How rude of me, I never checked back in after I eventually received my beloved DBV!

The story behind the delay was actually quite funny. I emailed them after my initial order to request that an extra wand be added to my purchase (you can see above that I forgot to add an extra one), and then ensued a series of emails being sent to people's spam folders and either side patiently waiting on correspondence from the other - I was just eager for my DBV, at this point not caring if I got an extra wand or not, and they were waiting on me to give them CC details to pay for the extra wand. Eventually they gave up waiting on me and posted the DBV without the extra wand, and all was OK in the end :)

I must admit at first I neglected my DBV. I'd hit it every now and then, it'd blow my socks off and I would love it, but I would always go back to smoking. I liked the idea of giving up but wasn't fully committed...

But then, around a year later, I decided to give it a real shot; I was fully committed to the idea and looking forward to giving my lungs a rest! So I quit smoking joints, which by proxy meant quitting tobacco (I only smoked the stuff in joints, never as cigarettes), which meant no more unfiltered smoke! I will confess that I've had a few puffs on a joint once or twice when I've been drunk, but aside from that (and an occasional, more forgiveable, bong), I haven't smoked in 9 months, after having the habit for 10+ years :D Now I'm exclusively vaping and feel all the better for it.

So what I'm really trying to say is thanks to you all for your guidance and advice, you've literally changed my life :ko:

BlazedAndConfused,
Reactions: Greenscreen

max

Out to lunch
I decided to give it a real shot
Commiting yourself to 'vapor only' for about a week is often what it takes to kick the smoke habit. Going back and forth blurs the line and makes it hard to really appreciate the vapor high and get smoke (and the effects of it) out of your system.

Glad you finally made the switch and are enjoying it. The occasional joint puff or bong hit shouldn't be a problem, and will likely just remind you how nasty smoke is.

Happy vaping and come back anytime to enjoy the forum and catch up on the latest and greatest vapes on the market.

BlazedAndConfused

Formerly mr.nicksta
Exactly! It was hard to move more towards vaping while still smoking, and since my primary aim was to give up tobacco, I decided to just stop inhaling any substances for a week - smoking and vaping!.

After about a week I was feeling my nicotine addiction subsiding and I actually realised I didn't even feel like getting high. It was like some epiphany, it occurred to me that I had probably only been getting baked for majority of the past 10 years because the nicotine addiction was begging me to smoke a joint in order to get some nicotine in my system! I spent pretty much a whole month without getting high but then I decided to give it a try again, find out why I enjoyed it in the first place, before nicotine played it's part!

The DBV and I fell for each other, 'twas love at first height haha - OK not actually the first time I got high with the DBV, but I have poetic licence here :) I've basically been vaping ever since.

And don't worry, popping my head in wasn't a flyby visit, I actually came here to do some research on the latest and greatest portable vapes on the market ;) Seems there's been some interesting developments in this area as of late, very excited to delve into all the threads!

BlazedAndConfused,

max

Out to lunch
Giving up tobacco-good move. I did that 16 yrs. ago and even though smoking herb didn't bother me as much, another 10 yrs. and I was sick of mj smoke as well.

Portables is where the market is exploding these days, and there are some really good ones. The DaVinci has become my 'go to' portable, since a pocket vape is what I'm after in the portable area. Lots of e-cig type vapes coming out now as well, but be careful here, since most nicotine e-cigs come out of two factories in China, and become many different brands after that. The same thing is happening now to e-cigs converted to mj use, so reading up here is a good idea to help in finding the good ones.

max,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom