Newb with a big purchase and ?'s being asked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMasta

Got a newb here first post actually. I have been lurking on the site for a few weeks reading this and that so heres the deal within the next 30 days I will be purchasing a vaporizer (). My price range is $100-200 approximately, and I am not inclined to only buy new. I originally came to this site to read reviews on the iolite (was ready to buy one) however after much reading I have determined with my high tolerance, large lung capacity, & all around bad reviews; that the iolite is probably not for me right now. The biggest drawback it seems like is the necessary slow draws of vapor, the constant butane filling and the problems with the units buttons actually working on the first click. I am realizing that portable vaporizers arent as far ahead technology wise as desktop ones and am thinking that instead of spending $2000+ on a iolite (for my portable vaporizer was going to buy all the extra do dads) looking to find a used Magic Flight box (found 2 on my local craigslist for $50 used), and purchasing a Arier Extreme Q 4.0. I am opting to get the Extreme Q because I had a volcano manual for about 6 months and loved the filling of the bag and the large amounts of vapor that were able to obtain with each run! I used it every day and the biggest issues I had was that it was loud, the bag took constant holding so it didnt get knocked over, and I hated having to constantly turn it on and off. Here are my questions:

A) Can anyone compare and contrast the quality of vapor obtained from the Extreme Q vs. Volcano? Also does the filling chamber (balloon) have some type of valve to prevent back spilling of vapors? I am wondering if the fan and total heating element length are much different in each of these.
B) How long of a range does the remote have approx feet? I want to make sure I can use it from across the room.
C) How well can I modify it to be able to use concentrates or would I simply need to sandwich the concentrates in-betweens the herb? Also anything about modify this to have a water filtration (the only problem with my volcano was the heat of the vapor)would be appreciated!
Any forum etiquette I havent followed please feel free to chime in on!

Last but not least I have been reading a lot of things about knock off and counterfeit vaporizers being sold on ebay. I am attracted to ebay because it seems everything is about $50 less, I have found an ebay seller with 0 negative feedback related to counterfeit products and they even have a actual webstore selling all their other products for MSRP (higher).
Allstarwholesales here is their ebay ad http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-ARIZER-EXTREME-Q-4-0-VAPORIZER -BALLOONS-GRINDER-/140540400643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8dc5403#ht_4799wt_1139

Here is their webstore:
http://www.allstarwholesales.com/arizer_extreme_q_vaporizer.php

$60 less on their ebay page than their main website if anyone could chime in on this it would be much appreciated as well.

JayMasta,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
welcome

iolite works fine with proper butane and filling and ive never had one misfire in the 2 years ive owned mine. butane also isnt that costly, a can lasts quite a while.

ebay sellers have legit items but you need to check with the actual company to see if the warranty is covered from that seller. lots of times the price is lower because there is no warranty. most manufacturers wont cover the warranty if you buy from a seller that sells below market price too, keep that in mind.

theres also the herbalaire to look into, very effiecent, multipurpose vape at around the same price as the extreme.

let me know if i can help you further. :)

gettin lifted,

deke

Vapeosaurus
I'm a really big fan of my EQ. I keep saying it, but I think it's a better vaporizer than the Volcano, even if they were to cost the same price. Here are my reasons:

-Volcano definitely fills a bag faster, but EQ is no slouch. It can also be fitted with Volcano bags if you like the valve system. That's the setup I have. You really just need to buy the EZ Valve Volcano bags and that's it.
-EQ has the whip option, which is very nice whether you're inhaling yourself or using the fan to boost the airflow.
-In my experience, a certain minimal amount of herb is required for a proper Volcano bowl. The EQ allows you to pack very small bowls.
-The cost of new bags, accessories, etc is far cheaper for the EQ.
-Customer service / manufacturer is located in North America (convenient, assuming you're in North America).

To me, Volcano's only advantage over the EQ is its speed and (arguably) its thicker vapor. Still, my EQ brews some very cloudy bags. For personal sessions, the Volcano has no real options unless you want a big crinkly vapor bag. I use my EQ bags when company is over and it's nice to have some party bags kicking around, but for the 95% of my sessions that are personal, I use the whip.

Anyway, to answer your questions...the remote range is pretty good, I can use mine up to 10-15 feet or so. It isn't as powerful as a TV remote though - you can't bounce it off surfaces, and you need a clear line of sight to the remote sensor on the vape unit.

For sandwiching oils and whatnot, it works fine. Definitely sandwich them, though - the EQ's construction means that if you just packed some oil in the cyclone bowl, it would drip onto the heater. If you're familiar with the EQ, the elbow pack works best. Sandwich herb, oil, then more herb. Then it's all neatly contained in the dome screen and it works great. If you're unfamiliar with elbow packs, it's a good way to pack a smallish bowl. You pack the bowl of the elbow piece and not the main cyclone bowl. I use it most of the time.

Water filtration is also a breeze. I don't have the adapter sizes on me, but you just need a common adapter and a bong / waterpipe that will fit the adapter. Easy as anything - but the adapter will cost you $10-$20. There may be other ways though.

I paid $300 for my EQ a year ago and don't regret it. I use it every day. If I were you, I would buy one of the cheap ones on ebay. I haven't heard of EQ counterfeits, and I think it's a case of Arizer selling a few wholesalers too many units at too much of a discount. Even without a warranty (and the warranties might be valid anyway) it's a steal of a deal for $150.

Anyway, just my two cents.

deke,
I am a huge fan of the Volcano. I have been enjoying my Digital ever since it came a week ago. But before that I purchased the NO2 last October. Its within your range and its portable, extremely accurate temperature readings and it does not use much to pack a punch. I would strongly go to the last few pages of the NO2 forum to see a few good reviews. Also it looks like a piece of medical equipment so I have been using it in public with none the wiser ^^. Anyways the EQ is a fine device as well I just cant urge you enough to take a glance at the NO2.

soaring spoon,

momatik

Welcome to the forum.

This is a very thorough comparison of the Extreme Q, the HerbalAire, and the Volcano.

momatik,

max

Out to lunch
Can anyone compare and contrast the quality of vapor obtained from the Extreme Q vs. Volcano?
As I've said for years, the Volcano doesn't give you more or better vapor, vs. other models. I can give you bags of vapor from various models, and I guarantee that you can't tell which bag (aside from the telltale bag connectors) came from which vape.

Also does the filling chamber (balloon) have some type of valve to prevent back spilling of vapors?
The 'cano has a valve-nice feature but you pay for it. Vapor leaking from a bag isn't really an issue. After the initial hit, air pressure is equalized and not much vapor escapes. It's easy to cap a bag too, either with a finger or something easily made.

I am realizing that portable vaporizers arent as far ahead technology wise as desktop ones
Portables vary, tech wise, as do home units. The iolite, for example, has more advanced technology than a lot of AC models. The two high tech plastics used in the vape alone, are more advanced than pretty much anything on an analog whip vape, not to mention it's the only vape on the market using butane in a catalytic process. OTOH, high tech doesn't always = better, and it can often (as in the case of the iolite) compromise reliability.

Allstarwholesales should deliver a genuine E, but they're not showing the authorized dealer symbol for Arizer, so your warranty may not be valid. If you're really interested in a dual mode vape, the herbalAire will do the job just as well, as far as bags, is likely to be more reliable (no digital), has no glass to break, can be had on eBay for about $160-170, and you don't have to worry about buying from an authorized dealer (HA customer svc. is also outstanding). I used a herbie for years and it did a great job.

max,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
A) EQ has good quality vapor at about 190 C. EQ does not have a valve on baloon (is there any other vape other that a volcano, that has valves?), use your finger.
B) In a room, you can have no worries with the remote distance. Much more important is the direction of the remote - it has to "see" the EQ display
C) I think EQ is not the best choice for concentrates, because heater is just below the herb chamber. Sandwiching it into buds is the only way to go imho.

Seek,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom