New to vaping - munchies?

Melizzard

Hey y'all,

I just got my first vape yesterday and WOW does it ROCK!!!!! There were many things I noticed that were so much better than with a pipe, but one thing I did miss was my munchies. I am using medical marijuana for cancer because I have lost my appetite. Got munchies like crazy with a pipe, but didn't w/the vape yesterday. :(

Same strain of weed, just different (and MUCH more pleasant) apparatus. Will I get those desperately needed munchies back again?

Thanks!
Melissa

Melizzard,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I still eat like a fucking horse. Sometimes so much I wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach about to explode, and I'm like "What the fuck did I do to myself?" :/

It's probably different for each individual, but I wouldn't be surprised if combusting MJ releases more actives (some good, some bad probably) which are prone to induce hunger because as we all know, vaporizing uses controlled heat, releasing only a limited spectrum of actives in MJ.

Perhaps vaporizing at a slightly higher temperature can increase the effects similiar to smoking, while still staying healthier. Water filtration might be a good idea if your cranking up the temp to get out some of the potential nasties.

Good luck!

SpiralArchitect,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
oh no! Vaproizing seems to be a double edged sword. It cuts down on harmful carcinogens AND it makes you eat less "tubby" food. So that way you will be able to gain less fat by not having the munchies all thru-out the day :brow:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

Loarun

Umm

Hennessy
She has cancer and has little to no desire to eat any food without muchies.(I might be making things up but this is what i interpreted from the op) So... for you cutting down on Doritos is good, but for others Doritos might be the only food they will eat all day.

Like Spiral suggested use a higher temperature.
I believe tch has one of the lowest boiling points of all the canibinoids.
So maybe your desired active ingredient needs a little more heat to vaporize. Good luck =)

Loarun,

Beezleb

I would say I get the munchies as normal. Some people seem to have less, reports on this both ways, how it affects each person is not really the same I think.

I would not go into vaping thinking it will as a matter of fact reduce the munchies. It may and it may not. Actually I depend on it giving me the munchies or I would have a greater degree if difficulty eating.

Beezleb,

Melizzard

SpiralArchitect said:
I still eat like a fucking horse.

Perhaps vaporizing at a slightly higher temperature can increase the effects similiar to smoking, while still staying healthier. Water filtration might be a good idea if your cranking up the temp to get out some of the potential nasties.

Good luck!
Too funny! I hope I fall into the same camp you do! ;) So, how high a temp is considered "too" high a temp (potential nasties)?

Melissa

Melizzard,

digglover

I get unbelieavable munchies vaping - I do the same thing as you SpiralArchitect. I wake up at the most random times during the night with unbelieavable heartburn - The only reason being that I stuffed my stomach so full their is nowhere else for the acid to go!

Do any of you have tips for controlling the munchies? Is it gonna be purely self-control?

digglover,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Yeah, I normally eat good before I vape... because if I don't I get a mean case of the munchies... However I do find myself craving more normal healthy foods over junk food when I vape. Me and a few guys I work with tend to start cooking when we get the munchies instead of buying fast food or junk...
Some times when I tend too consume a bit too much vape I have noticed that I will get an extremely aggressive stomach growl to go along with my munchies. I tend too like the lower temps on the vape, but everyone I work with Vapes at a much higher temp

DevoTheStrange,

Melizzard

DevoTheStrange said:
However I do find myself craving more normal healthy foods over junk food when I vape. I tend too like the lower temps on the vape, but everyone I work with Vapes at a much higher temp
That's hugely encouraging!!!! I need to crave the more healthy foods!

And what is the temp that is typically used for vaping? I have an Extreme and I've been using 220c ...

Melissa

Melizzard,

max

Out to lunch
220 isn't the actual temp Melizzard. Arizer decided to confuse people by first placing the heat sensor at the heater itself, thus displaying a much higher temp than other vapes. Then the heat sensor was moved closer to the bowl, then moved again. So there are currently 3 different versions (display wise) of the Extreme, with the heat sensor location the only real difference. Have you looked at the Vaporpedia tutorial?

How to use the Extreme

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
This might be of help to you Melizzard;

Graphic Representation;
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5188/cannabinoids2.jpg

Phytocannabinoids, their boiling points, and properties

?-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Boiling point: 157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)
Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN)
Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC)
Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

?-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (?-8-THC)
Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Resembles ?-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid essential oils, their boiling points, and properties

?-myrcene
Boiling point: 166-168*C / 330.8-334.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic. Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

?-caryophyllene
Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-limonene
Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

linalool
Boiling point: 198*C / 388.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

pulegone
Boiling point: 224*C / 435.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-cineole (eucalyptol)
Boiling point: 176*C / 348.8 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antiinflammatory, Antinociceptive

?-pinene
Boiling point: 156*C / 312.8 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

?-terpineol
Boiling point: 217-218*C / 422.6-424.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

terpineol-4-ol
Boiling point: 209*C / 408.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-cymene
Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

borneol
Boiling point: 210*C / 410 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antibiotic, ?-3-carene 0.004% 168 Antiinflammatory

?-3-carene
Boiling point: 168*C / 334.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory

Flavonoid and phytosterol components, their boiling points, and properties

apigenin
Boiling point: 178*C / 352.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Antiinflammatory, Estrogenic

quercetin
Boiling point: 250*C / 482 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

cannflavin A
Boiling point: 182*C / 359.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

?-sitosterol
Boiling point: 134*C / 273.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, 5-?-reductase, inhibitor
Don't hesitate to ask more questions. We like helping out beginners, and I have a penchant for taking the extra mile assisting medical users. :)

SpiralArchitect,

Melizzard

So then, if I vape at 220c, I'm pretty much covering all the cannabinoids?

Melissa

Melizzard,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
depends on which extreme you have, I have the third version, so 220 is a bit above my liking... although that is where most of my coworkers like too start

DevoTheStrange,

Melizzard

DevoTheStrange said:
depends on which extreme you have, I have the third version, so 220 is a bit above my liking... although that is where most of my coworkers like too start
Yeah, I have the 3rd one as well. If I vape at a lower temp, I can't see any vapor when I exhale or turn on the fan, and I'm not experienced enough with it to know if my herb is still vaping or if it's spent. ;) I just got it day before yesterday, so am learning it.

It's so strange to inhale and not feel/see anything to know if you're getting vape or not ... that is, until you feel the buzz kick in! So, right now, it's taking a bit of time to try it, wait a few, try again, etc. ;)

Melissa

Melizzard,

sugarloafer

I have a real cheap vape (like one of the ones on ebay for around 60) and I found that if i use it without any visible vapor after a while my tolerance will go down and I can still get completely blazed. With this method it takes a few more hits (usually 15 at the temp that was just below the visible vapor) but the herbs last so much longer. With the same state of highness each night I could get visible hits and the herb would last about 2-3 days or it would look like I wasn't getting anything and it would last about 5 days to a week. This is using only around once every night. I am curious if anyone else has found the same results. I suppose its all your preference because it does take a lot longer to get high, but man it saves some coin.

sugarloafer,

Melizzard

How can you tell when your bowl is all done? Does it just all turn darkish with no more green?

Melissa

Melizzard,

owin

Melizzard said:
How can you tell when your bowl is all done? Does it just all turn darkish with no more green?

Melissa
Yeah it should be a tan to dark brown color. Going by taste is a little easier. If it starts tasting like popcorn it's time to pack a new bowl.

Also I definitely have noticed my munchies have turned into healthy munchies after i started vaping. I can barely eat fast food places now but I will dominate a fresh bowl of fruit or vegetables.

owin,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
yeah eating healthy while vaped is a must for me now... I can definitely pack in more junk food, but healthy food leaves me feeling full, so I don't over eat. That and eating junk food while vaped, for me at least, tastes nasty. I guess its because I don't combust anymore, so my taste buds only get blasted with heat vs. other things so I can actually taste what I am eating.
and honestly... I've grown quite fond of cooking while vaped.... when you got the munchies its alot easier to be creative and make some tasty snacks.. :D

DevoTheStrange,

Melizzard

Well, I tried vaping my kush, last night, at 210 rather than 220. This was the first weed with which I got my awesome munchies. Well, no such happenin' last night ... I was so disappointed!!!! Couldn't even eat dinner. :(

Think I should vape a little higher temp on this one? I suspect I haven't been letting my bowl warm up long enough too ...

And, when using the whip, is it best to leave it off until you're ready to use it or do you put it on while the bowl warms up?

And one last question, does it save herb to take the bowl off while the vape is cooling down?

xxoo
Melissa

Melizzard,

Fleursdiesoats

I am in the same boat as you, Mel. I think the elbow pack was the most munchies I had, so far, because you get a TON OF THICK vapor at once that way. If you haven't yet, try that and see if it helps. I have been living on cinnamon toast for the last couple days. :/

Fleursdiesoats,

minuteman420

I have a suggestion.

Maybe try turning your vaporizer temperature up to 240 or 250, into the higher range where you will get almost everything you did from the pipe.

Even though this might be too "smokey" for some people, its still definitely better than burning plant matter, and may give you the munchies. Though you might need some kind of water filtration to cool the vapor.

minuteman420,
Top Bottom