New to vaping, as in never, need some advice

Focalized

I posted this before but it was closed, not sure if it ended up in the wrong spot or if i missed something....

I never had an interest in vaping, but now with all the dry herb vapes, and a house full of kids I figured Id give it a shot.

Ive read so many reviews and watched so many videos. Ive heard good and bad about the more popular brands. I recently got ahold of a knock off G Pen elite, yes ive ready all about grenco on this site too. I read the reviews on the pro but wasnt impressed, the elite was everything i was looking for and more. The size is perfect, I liked the larger bowl, and the digital controls were nice. That being said, the Chinese version tasted horrible and no amount of cleaning or burn offs fixed it. IT was quickly refunded. The Features were nice but functionally it was garbage and i need to make a better choice on a new purchase.

Im looking for something small, similar size to the elite or grasshopper exc. Im not looking for a big box, Im only really using for herb, no need for liquids, and unless i can get some wax, which seems doubtful around here now, dry herbs is all i need. Larger bowl, solo smoker, mainly looking for discretion not something easily seen and smell to a minimum, and requiring minimal maintenance. Box and stash can is good but I just cant get that with my bong....

Any other suggestions for another vape in the $150-200 ish price range with similar size and options? Ive looked at the firefly, pax2, and loads of others but have been overwhelmed by the mass amount of vaporizers on the market :(

little maggie

It looks like you want a portable. Does it matter whether it uses butane? If not, check out the vapcap thread here. Absolutely simple, inexpensive, good taste. Uses a butane lighter.
I know that the magic flight is a basic beginner vape but I think there are better ones out there so I wouldn't recommend that.
The milaana is a great small vaporizer. It uses replaceable batteries and is also simple to use and clean. Check out the milaana thread.
I just got a vape called the vivant alternate: It's small and inexpensive. You can check out what those who have it have reported on the vivant alternate thread. I think it's a bit better than the boundless vapes.
Both the vivant and dynavap are below the price you posted but as good as some more expensive ones.
The milaana and vapcap only use herb when you use them instead of continuing to burn between draws as do others including the vivant.
A bit larger but a good overall vape is the arizer solo.
If it doesn't need to be portable there are some great log vapes. They don't look like vaporizers- attractive wood and they come with a part that you can use for scents so your kids won't know.
Or if you like the grasshopper you might want to get that.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/t...ated-single-18650.18829/page-320#post-1091397
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vivant-alternate.23668/
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-458#post-1090968
Too many logs to list but check out the underdog and enano unless you live in England.

Last edited:

Krazy

I have no helpful advice; but, credit on giving the guys enough info to go on.

The amount of choices can be overwhelming. Can we add "pull out of pocket. push button. vape." to you list of requirements? That will eliminate devices like the MFLB.

Krazy,

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Since interested in gpen elite / grasshopper size , try to look in the Portable Vaporizer thread. http://fuckcombustion.com/forums/portable-vaporizers.39/ Many neat vapes & projects there. Firewood 4, Milaana . the Project DIY seems quite interesting and affordable. The eraser diy is basically preassembled for you, you need to purchase a mod box and battery which woukd be wI thin or under your budget. . The eraser diy project with smoant knight v2 mod is small in size and looks swell too.http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-project-diy-herbal-vaporizer.21055/page-40#post-1089724

Another option could be a Vapcap, if you want to light with torch lighter = no battery.

I started with a elite like you and now have a log vape and ditch the elite for a herbstick eco as a portable that aint the greatest either lol.. people seem to enjoy the vapcap MilaAna and others for good tasting hard hitting dry herb unit..

If you consume at home , try going with a log , it's efficient on your herb and versatile as far as load size , level you are after.. i have a Bamboo HI, the HI log.from toasty top and love it.

You're in the right place, if your subject gets closed again, try searching the info in the main threads maybe or asking your question in existing threads perhaps in one's that interest you? , this forum is full of great info and people.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Any other suggestions for another vape in the $150-200 ish price range with similar size and options?

Just had a very quick look at the Gpen elite thread and the first thing that sprang to mind was the Summit by Vapium. That might tick a lot of the required boxes.

Good luck.

Vapenvy,

gaseous_clay

Very happy with my Pax2 (though I have thought about replacing with a Pax3.)

It's portable, stealthy, simple & works great.

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Having used Pax2, FireFly2, and Flowermate products as portables, I can hands down say the FF2 is cream of the crop.

If you want something better than the Gpen and don't want to shell out the cash, I'd check in on the Flowermate family. I had a V5.0s that made the Gpen look like a fool. Great hits, AMAZING battery life, super stealthy as well since it looked like a tobacco box mod vape (although since its a conduction vape the smell could get a little strong). Only reason I stepped up to the Pax at that point was because a friend of mine got one to try (35 year smoker) and just wasn't willing to clean himself off of smoking completely to be able to feel the superiority of vaping. I traded him some gorilla glue and the V5.0s for it.

In terms of the Pax: Definitely better hits, but not as long a battery life. Also, I felt it wasn't quite as efficient, and required a TON more in the bowl, leaving some not so great tasting hits when I needed a pick up after a while. Then it was knocked into water. Long story short, I stopped charging my vapes right where I stored them, which happened to be the cabinet next to the sink... Defnitely a stronger smell than the Flowermate, so the least stealthy of the three I've used IMO.

After that, the wife let me get the FF2. WOW. just wow. Same size if not bigger hits than the Pax. Infinitely better tasting and WAY more efficient. Battery life (counting both batteries it comes with) was on par with my flowermate. But, very rarely needed full battery life since it was so much more efficient. Probably my BIGGEST love for the FF2 is it's stealth factor. I have used this in public and there is almost NO smell. It doesn't blend in with tobacco vapes like the Flowermate, but I have ripped this in a hallway and walked into a room as someone was walking out that I knew didn't smoke. I asked if they smelled anything and they said no.

So, that's my take on three VERY different vapes. Hope that helps!

And FWIW, at some point I plan on purchasing a VapCap like many have mentioned here, but for me personally, I don't want to have to use a lighter for the most part.

Squiby

The choice of vaporizers is truly staggering. I went through a lot of money buy this vape and that till I finally found the Vapcap.

The Dynavap line of vaporizers, called Vapcaps are absolutely fantastic vapes. I'm not kidding. They are moderately priced but easily compete with much more expensive vapes.

They are small, the size and shape of a cigarette. They are beautifully designed. USA built. No plastic, no electronics, no cords or batteries to fuss with. They are typically heated with a small jet lighter, but just about any heat source will do, such as a stove element or a candle. They are incredibly efficient with your weed, you will surprised at how little you need and by how much $ you save if you purchase your herb.

Accessories include a stash called the Dynastash. It holds your Vapcap and herb stash. The stash has a magnet on it so it can be stuck to a fridge or under a table etc. The magnet also holds your Vapcap upright in between tokes.

The Vapcap is easy to use; just fill the chamber, put on the cap and apply heat to the cap until it clicks, letting you know that it is ready to toke. You achieve various bowl temps by where you apply heat to the cap.

It is almost an on demand vape. If you have a minute, you can load, heat and toke and finish your bowl in under a minute.

I went through several vapes until I found this forum and stumbled upon the Vapvap. My search stopped there. It is tiny, efficient, built tough and modular which means the Vapcap is the most customizable and arguably the most beautiful vape on the market.

In terms of aesthetic appeal, the modular build lets you switch out bodies for stems or VonGs made from beautiful woods or metals for a look just your own. The Vapcap is LEGO for stoners.

It also delivers very smooth cool vapor. I have very sensitive lungs and the Vapcap is the least irritating vape of any I've tried. No coughing no irritation, no sore throat.

It has a price range from $35 for an all glass model to the indestructible, all metal, mostly titanium Omnivap for $160.

Highly recommended.

Here are some of mine. A Black and White Ebony Ti Woody XLS Vapcap. A Cocobolo Ti Woody and a Blackwood Ti Woody S with a burl mouthpiece.
4yXzxQo.jpg

Here's my Blackwood and Cocobolo Ti VonG S with its Paduak Dynastash.

XOsaOzi.jpg

As @little maggie says above, check out the thread. We are a bunch of very happy vappers there.

Here's the Dynavap website for more eye candy.

https://www.dynavap.com

Mr. Me2

Welcome @Focalized !

Rather than make a recommendation (and there are some good ones here), I'll ask some questions.

Will you be using your vape alone or with others?

Do you prefer a "one-and-done" vape, or a session vape (where you need to finish what you start in one sitting - convection v. conduction)?

Do you mind a learning curve or do you want something simple to master?

I could ask more questions, but I think this is a good start...

Southern Chef

Welcome @Focalized !

Rather than make a recommendation (and there are some good ones here), I'll ask some questions.

Will you be using your vape alone or with others?

Do you prefer a "one-and-done" vape, or a session vape (where you need to finish what you start in one sitting - convection v. conduction)?

Do you mind a learning curve or do you want something simple to master?

I could ask more questions, but I think this is a good start...
Hey @Mr. Me2 Remember when the only choice we had to make was ZigZag or Big Bambu?
Life was simple.

Last edited:

TwistedGray

I suspect when you go through all the responses here you are going to be, again, overwhelmed by the number of options.

I love my Arizer Air, but I have not tried any other vape (for dry herb). I am getting my hands on a FireFly in a few weeks, so that'll be fun. I like the Air a lot because I can easily prepack a few stems, pop one in, heat it up in my pocket (1-2min), pull it out and go to town. If I vape a whole stem's worth on my own, I'm good and done :)

Well, there is some personal anecdotal information for you...for what it's worth

little maggie

One of the advantages of this community is being able to read threads where owners have discussed their vape. I still recommend reading the threads of the vapes you're interested in. And as a few have said you might decide whether you want a session vape or one that just makes vapor when you inhale. Youre getting recommendations for both and to me they are very different experiences. Flowermates, solo portables, and some others recommended are "session vapes" while others like the dynavap and milaana don't heat the herb until you use it. I like the taste of the on demand vapes better but that's just me.

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
I too prefer the on demand in terms of flavor, but other than the techniques of use, I have always been able to take a few hits from flowermates and then use more later. Flavor diminishes, but the effects are still there :smug:

baxter

I vote for the VapCap as well. I have the cheap $35 glass one. I think its awesome because it wastes such little weed and produces big clouds if you want them.

If you are looking to smoke by yourself I recommend the VapCap, now for group smoking you will need something else.

You will also want a $10 torch butane lighter if you get a VapCap also

HighSeasSailor

I love my Pax 2. Get the half pack lid with it, unless you like tremendously big sessions (.35g oven capacity).

Not the cheapest vape on the market, but it's probably the least paraphernalia-looking device out there. Could be a consideration with kiddos around.

HighSeasSailor,

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Just wondering if you've made a choice. If not you might check out the vapcap m. It's only $50 or less if you wait until 4/20.
The vapcap M does really interest me. a 4/20 sale, hmm interesting.. @CarolKing mentioned it somewhere too where i found out about it.. @Squiby might get a good laugh reading my interest in one , lol Might be because I found my old torch lighter that still works, or that my last name M... or that 100+ person can't be wrong.

Top Bottom