Need Info on making my Rosin based thc vape juice clear

Smiley350

Hi Ive recently started making thc vape juice based from kief pressed rosin. I have a hot plate that sound at 1500rpm to emulsify the rosin and I mix pg 2parts pg 1part rosin ratio. Then I filter the mix with cheese clith or coffee filters. My isdue is the mix is still cloudy and doesnt stay stanle for more then a couple days and starts seperating. I wanna fix this any suggestions?

I was told I should take ethanol a hat and mix the oil overnight in freezer to seperate the wax and fats. Is this my best method or even correct?

Thanks for help?

Smiley350,

Deleted Member 1643

Unfamiliar with rosin and ultrasonic emulsification, but doubt that winterizing will solve the problem. The constituents you mention will precipitate out if present, but concentrate dissolved in PG alone generally separates (some have reported success). Also, doesn't it defeat the purpose of going solvent-less? Your filtration could also be better - a 0.2 um cellulose acetate syringe filter will remove all particulates. Again, this won't help with separation.

In the past, would have recommended dissolving in PEG 400 first before diluting with PG. @lazylathe brought a recent research article to our attention that indicates PEG 400 can produce significant amounts of formaldehyde. Don't know of a work-around.

If you're up for a slightly risky experiment, what about extracting your kief directly into PG (or VG or a mix)? Extracting flower this way for e-juice is problematic, but kief might work. At worst, you'll have an effective tincture. The problems with flower are making an extract that's concentrated enough to vape, contaminating with chlorophyll and water-solubles, and filtering (this will likely be a problem with kief as well).

Smiley350

I know what you mean about the solvent but short of learning to distill and purchasing a distillation machine which is out of my purchasing power tell summertime Im stuck making my cartridges this way and really beed to come up with a reasonably cost effective solution for making my oil consistently clear. Ill def try what you suggested as far as the .2um syringe though. But youre correct this wont solve seperation.

It worked pretty well until this last batch as far as seperation goes. They could sit a week before starting to get cloudy and beginning seperation. So was making small batches at a time. Im hoping increasing my time under the heat and spinning will help.

Thanks for response. Ill keep plugging away

Smiley350,

Deleted Member 1643

Haven't used cartridges. Thought separation might be less of an issue. If you fill your cartridges while it's in solution, does it matter if it separates afterward?

Deleted Member 1643,

Smiley350

It works but youre gonna get hits that are straight solutio and it doesnt look good which for me as a medical caregiver doesnt sit well.

Smiley350,

Smiley350

Unfamiliar with rosin and ultrasonic emulsification, but doubt that winterizing will solve the problem. The constituents you mention will precipitate out if present, but concentrate dissolved in PG alone generally separates (some have reported success). Also, doesn't it defeat the purpose of going solvent-less? Your filtration could also be better - a 0.2 um cellulose acetate syringe filter will remove all particulates. Again, this won't help with separation.

In the past, would have recommended dissolving in PEG 400 first before diluting with PG. @lazylathe brought a recent research article to our attention that indicates PEG 400 can produce significant amounts of formaldehyde. Don't know of a work-around.

If you're up for a slightly risky experiment, what about extracting your kief directly into PG (or VG or a mix)? Extracting flower this way for e-juice is problematic, but kief might work. At worst, you'll have an effective tincture. The problems with flower are making an extract that's concentrated enough to vape, contaminating with chlorophyll and water-solubles, and filtering (this will likely be a problem with kief as well).

Smiley350,

Smiley350

Is this decent? Cant post pic but found on anazo. 50pack $122 best I found. Regenerated Cellulose Sterile Syringe Filter with Female Luer Lock Inlet/Male Luer Slip Fitting Outlet, Membrane with 0.2 Micron, Polypropylene Housing, 4mm Diameter (Case of 50)

I know what you mean about the solvent but short of learning to distill and purchasing a distillation machine which is out of my purchasing power tell summertime Im stuck making my cartridges this way and really beed to come up with a reasonably cost effective solution for making my oil consistently clear. Ill def try what you suggested as far as the .2um syringe though. But youre correct this wont solve seperation.

It worked pretty well until this last batch as far as seperation goes. They could sit a week before starting to get cloudy and beginning seperation. So was making small batches at a time. Im hoping increasing my time under the heat and spinning will help.

Thanks for response. Ill keep plugging away

Smiley350,

Deleted Member 1643

Can't see your link, but this is an example. Ten for $11. You don't want to spend so much. It will be very difficult to filter. You'll need to warm the juice first, and even then, you might just give up. You can also get 0.45 um filters. These will be a little easier, but you might miss smaller bacteria. ;) Good luck!

Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: Smiley350

Smiley350

Smiley350,

Deleted Member 1643

Yes, that's the seminal work on the subject, thanks for the reminder! :science: Believe if you read through the comments, you'll find that it eventually separates (90 days?). Only concern with homogenizer is oxidation, which is well-documented. Could reduce potency. Still - sounds like a decent alternative to PEG 400. Might have to try it!

Recommend reading all content on Skunk Pharm and taking notes!

Last edited:
Deleted Member 1643,

herbivore21

There is not a safe way to make runny ecig tank compatible solutions out of cannabis in a home DIY setting. All PG/VG/PEG carriers are unsafe. Safer and suitable methods of extraction and refinement by distillation should be left to professional operators only.

If you're a medical caregiver, IMO there is no excuse for passing on unsafe products like these to patients, as you rightly say above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom