MZ/PD vs Epicvape vs Toasty Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

the ob

all good in the hood.
I am curious if anyone has used all of these or at least two of these and can compare the differences. I am truly not trying to start a "holy war" between the different camps. These can all fall under the log camp category and I would just be curious about the differences.

the ob,

max

Out to lunch
I haven't used the Toasty Top, but apparently it's set a bit higher (like the EV-1) than the PD, MZ, and WDZ. I can testify from experience that the EV-1 is a higher temp vape, and design wise, it's like a cross between a log vape and the V-Tower. I can't see a decision problem between EV-1 and a log vape. They're more alike in looks than in use. I won't comment further on the TT. I don't have enough info yet to be comfortable talking about it.

As for placing them all in the 'log vape' category, opinions will vary since there's no real definition, and who's going to be the official decision maker? Personally, I think the big hits of the EV-1, and anything with temp control, disqualify those from the log vape category, where we have at least three models that fit together pretty closely. Make the category too large and it gets weak. The SSV and DBV (and some others) are closer in design to wooden box vapes, than the similarities of the vapes above make them to each other, and yet SSV and DBV aren't considered box vapes. Neither is the MFLB, although it's wood and has 'box' in the name. ;)

max,

gvape

I have a PD and a TT. Here is what I think about the two:

PD hits are tastier BUT I get less hits. (ie: PD I get 3 milky and then 2 not so great compared to TT with like 4-5 milky and then 1-2 not as great.)

TT hits can be as tasty as a PD, BUT you need to control the temp by not placing the tube all the way in and slowly place it in further as you progress in hits.

I can definitely milk my TT a lot more then my PD, but that is because it is a higher temp, and by higher temp I have to say I have uneven burned bowls. I almost always get a darker brown spot in the center of my TT bowls. Whereas with my PD my ABV is almost ALWAYS the same color all the way around.

Additionally, since the TT is running hotter, its hotter in the hand. Definitely a difference it outside temperature compared to the PD. I am also not a fan of the stand, it just awkward having to place it in it. I like how with the PD I can just get it down wherever. I also thinks this avoids a stealth factor. Someone is more inclined to ask what is that over my PD.

But in all cases, I have been using my TT more, and my guess is because it is newer and I really do like the hotter temps for helping me sleep. When you break it all down its all personal preference. If you want a hotter hit and to get the most out of your material then look at the TT, it has just a slightly higher learning curve with the higher temp. If you want to keep everything at the perfect temperature without really having to fiddle around then I would look at the PD/ZAP/WDZ.

Oh and I forgot, the TT does have the bowls and heat exchanger that unscrew. Definitely a nice extra feature, but again its still just an extra feature, not as much of a deciding factor to make me choose one over the other.

*EDIT* I didnt even realize you were comparing an EPIC VAPE to this all as well. I own this too, and I dont know if I really classify it as the same type of "Log" vape. It may be made out of wood, but it hits much different then the traditional vapes. Not sure how to compare it really, but if you have any more questions Ill asnwer them the best I can.

gvape,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I have several zaps and am very familiar with the PD and WDZ. I guess I was mostly wondering how these compared to the TT.

Is the TT worth it if I already have several zaps?

I guess you are right, the epicvape is vastly different.

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
ob, the TT will run hotter. Is it worth it if you already have several Zaps? That's a subjective question. Do you need it? Also subjective. It was worth it to me and I really enjoy it. I still also really enjoy my Zaps. I use the Top mostly at night when I want a little higher temp. For me, it was also about getting something unique, which I feel the Top is. If you are interested, shoot Alan an email. He's a great guy and I'm sure will be more than happy to answer any and all of your questions.

momofthegoons,

gvape

Thats exactly how I see it too mom... I use the TT at night and my PD during the day.

+1 to Alan being a good guy.. Very helpful and always a pleasure to chat with.

gvape,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
My :2c: as an MZ & TT owner:

TT has a wider airpath, because the MZ uses tiny washer things to hold the screens in place, and they chambers are slightly (1/32") smaller anyway. This is big for me. I sometimes get too much resistance from the MZ. And, to a point, better airflow=better convective vaporization. Less time between screen cleanings. Which, because the TT has the herb chamber that unscrews, makes cleaning the screen a snap.

TT is stainless steel, and the material is thicker. So better radiative heat distribution.

My herbs always turn out a few shades darker in the TT.

And aesthetically, the TT is a winner. I mean, MZ has awesome wood, which counts for a lot. Mine is a really dark walnut, and it looks great. But there is a sense of elegance wtih the TT that makes the Zap look awkward. The proportions of the tubes to the tops are perfect. It looks like a tulip, upside down. And the proportions of the top itself are perfect, fitting the hand nicely while insulating the inner chamber where it needs it.

i must take pictures. New camera, you know...

Orestes,

Purple-Days

Speaking of pictures, this may explain why, when all three products use the same resistor, the Purple-Days Original (2008) and the Toasty Top (2011) heat exchangers, are able to extract a little more heat into the airstream.

2e23zoy.jpg

Orestes says, "TT is stainless steel, and the material is thicker. " Of course, the PD is stainless steel and also uses 'thicker' materials.

Purple-Days,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom