My hometown, destroyed. Boo.

DrMephisto

Surreal as fuck.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/us/23flood.html?ref=us

Pretty surreal reading about my small hometown on the big media.
I moved two weeks ago. It was a bit hairy getting out of Minot, as on June 2nd, the city called for a mandatory evacuation of about 1/3rd of the city...or about 10-11,000 people. Lucky for me a week or so later they allowed us to go back into the evac zones as the levees had held. So knowing that I had to get out to this job by the 16th, I finished up packing, loaded up the truck and drove across the country.

I was pretty unnerved by the first evacuation, as I didn't know if I would be able to move on schedule. I was displaced which really, was not that bad as I just moved all my equipment and instruments to a friend's place and we jammed - and vaped - for a good solid week. I had all my non-essentials moved upstairs to my room and everything I absolutely needed moved in a couple hours, and then spent the rest of the day (after calling in to work) moving out 3 friends and sandbagging our local haunts.

This time around - about three weeks later - it's a lot harder to go through. This time I can't really do anything but make sure my friends are alright, and keep up on the local news. http://www.kxnet.com/?setCity=min
So next time you vape, send some good vibes that way - they need it...

DrMephisto,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
:( I have been watching this on the news :( So sad!! I'm glad you are okay. Hope you hear from your friends soon. Sending positive vibes!!!

Lo,

lwien

Good vibes hurtling your way as we speak.

Towns being wiped off the map all over the world is happening wayyyyyy to often these days. :(

lwien,

DrMephisto

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/flooding-20110627.html

Wow. I'm really glad I got out when I did. It's going to be really interesting how the economy recovers from this. Ward County was one of the least-economically stressed counties in the US, with the Bakken Oil field so close. The housing situation was getting bad, in that prices were skyrocketing across the board. Should be an interesting visit, next time I head home.

DrMephisto,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
that's pretty tragic

is it mostly the north half of the city? Google Earth looks like the south has a lot of hills...? is that the higher ground people likely went to?

VWFringe,

reece

I understand. Try to take a break, though I know it's hard, from the news every so often. I hope your family and friends are okay and I pray they (and you) find the strength needed at a time like this.

reece,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
damn, i hope the feds step in an help re-build, it turns out only 375 or so of the 4,000 homes lost had flood insurance because they were told it wasn't needed after re-building the levies some years ago.

People evacuated (12,000) are not expected to return to their homes for ten days.

VWFringe,

DrMephisto

Yeah, it sounds pretty crazy there. I've caught up with most of my friends there and sounds like it's pretty hectic...but they're all safe. Funny thing is that I've realized I'd left some random things behind when I moved a couple weeks back. Don't think I'll have to go get them now. Heh. :p

DrMephisto,
Top Bottom