Music from the mid 60's to late 70's (when creative genius reigned..)

Planck

believes in Dog
I also think there is a difference with "creating" or "coining" the first of anything art/movement based, and maybe "fully realizing" it...?
Yeah for sure. I too like 'In A Silent Way" more than BB. I listened to all these cats back then. Weather Report, saw Mahavishnu Orchestra live in a symphony venue, kinda interesting they were not really loud. John had his little Mesa Boogie amp sitting on a chair. Tiny looks big sounds. I digress. None of this has stuck with me like the Crusaders, David Sanborn, Herbie Hancock etc.
@Planck Fela says "everybody 1 more time" 87 times! :spliff: :cheers:
@Morty props for counting them. :bowdown: :cheers:
Nice selection, I'd enjoy tunes night at your house for sure.

Here's one that aged well for me.
Santana 3 full album here.

Planck

believes in Dog
Relatively unknown Santana burst into public eye with their fierce performance at Woodstock. They backed that up with two landmark albums, Abraxas and Santana III. The band was legend and In a world looking for guitar gods Carlos was one. It's at that point things started going off the rails (imo). Santana's Caravanserai album (1972) is forgettable at best, opening with crickets and improving little from there. The he can do it all guitar superstar perception/fan demand coupled with Carlos's searching for spiritual enlightenment had arrived effectively destroying the greatness that was the Santana band.

The thing about truly great artists is there unique honest voice, Albert King is a great example. He can play an entire solo on one or two strings and communicate more than most ever manage. There is and will ever only be one Albert King. Carlos had that talent too but he lost his way. I believe public expectation and a desire to be someone who he was not is responsible. In 1973 swami buddies now Devadip Carlos looking like a colonial overlord and John McLaughlin released Love Devotion Surrender. It's a bad idea that put both player in a mix they both struggle with. I feel it would have been better for both if this collaboration remained on the cutting room floor.

I lost interest in Santana at that point and think it took years for him to recover. He quit the cult in the 80s. It's nice to see him still touring and communicating as only he can. He was luckier than many, Peter Green, composer of Black Magic Woman, for example.

Planck

believes in Dog
1971 was a pretty good music year. :rofl: Imagine, Maggie May, Brown Sugar, Riders on the Storm, Stairway, Riders, What's Goin On... and on and on it goes. Yes dropped a total stunner onto this musical landscape with their album Roundabout. Another that aged well really got better with age, and inspired a whole sub genre in rock. Bet ya never heard this one live at the bar.

Yes - Roundabout (Original version released in 1971).

Rick Beato takes an indepth look at what makes this song great, isolated tracks and all...

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I saw Yes twice on the 90215 tour. First at the start at the Worcester Centrum (May '84) and then when they came back around again at the Bahston Gahden (Sept)... no Steve Howe (Trevor Rabin) and Alan White on drums and their original keyboardist, Tony Kaye. And then once again at Worcester for the "Big Generator" tour.

I also saw what was labeled as "An Evening of Yes Music", 3rd row center at GreatWeeds (Woods) touring their album 'Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe'.... Howe playing solo Martin was magical (at least back then anyway)! Oh yeah, Tony Levin on all stick bass, too!

A big regret is never getting to see Ozzy live. I saw Sabbath with Dio on the "Heaven and Hell" tour in '80 with my older brother, and then with Ian Gillan (he looked like 'cousin It' with his hair down to his knees) in '84. Blew off going to 'Blizzard of Ozz' in '82 w/ Randy Rhoads like an idiot!!!

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
***MONSTER(s) ALERT***

Here's a couple of treasured examples from my all-time favorite jazz guitarist, "The Golden Thumb", Wes Montgomery. Find out why...:brow::):

WYNTON KELLY TRIO & WES MONTGOMERY - SMOKIN' AT THE HALF NOTE
'UNIT 7'!!!!!!!!!!

AND why Jimmy Smith is my all-time fav blah blah blah... Look, just go straight to the 3rd track, 'James And Wes', if you can't wait... :tup::

JIMMY & WES - THE DYNAMIC DUO
Edit for better cover pic:
1628796003029.png
^ha, look how baked-out they are stuffin' hoagies...! :smug:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
You liked that, did you, @Planck...? Well, now it's your turn, buddy...! Here's something maybe you (and anybody else, of course) haven't heard before, and IF you have, better still...!

Ray Brown Trio - Slippery
Full album here---> Ray Brown Trio 'Something for Lester'

And I just happened upon this looking for that.... I know what I'm doing for the next hour and twenty-seven minutes and fifty-eight second, or so.... :tup:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Well sure, Wes is an all time favorite. Also the great Kenny Burrell
I met Kenny! between sets at the Regattah Bah in Cambridge in the early 90's... I walked up close to the stage area (there was no actual stage) just to peer over the ropes and ogle his Super 400 that was laying on the Baldwin as he tinkered... and he looked up with a smile and asked if I'd like to walk around and take a closer look...! He was so outwardly proud of it, he then told me much of it's "story".... Amazing!

Anyway, the real reason why I came to this thread :rolleyes:, to post this....! Never seen it before.... looks like it could be a pretty good... 😜

Jimmy Smith, Cannonball Adderley, Dave Brubeck and Charlie Mingus live • 31-10-1971 • World of Jazz

Last edited:
Top Bottom