Music from the mid 60's to late 70's (when creative genius reigned..)

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
God help me, I've joined Apple Music almost entirely to listen to and hopefully download extended cuts of some of my favorite jam songs without having to buy whole albums. The primary incentive was an article from the NYT four years ago touting the best versions of Grateful Dead's Dark Star: "The Brilliant Uncertainty of the Grateful Dead's Dark Star on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Song". I couldn't find any versions of most of the long 17-40 minutes takes that I could listen to to see if I wanted to buy a whole album just to get that song or maybe one or two others. It turned out my subscription could not have been more timely: I've long loved the Allman Bros Band's In Memory of Elizabeth Read and with the death of Dickie Betts I could now listen to several of their extended versions with his glorious guitar and Duane A and Warren H's too. Also great long versions of Miles Davis playing So What and All Blues and Coltrane just blowing his horn. Here's that wonderful article about best Dark Star tracks from the NYT, the non-subscriber readable version

Last edited:
Polarbearboy,
Reactions: macbill
Top Bottom