Mug Warmer for Glass Piece

maskedcorrespondent

XQ2, Dynaverse, Xmax
I have been enjoying warm/hot water filled pieces more recently, and ordered a 3 temp mug heater from Amazon. Ostensibly the temps are 130°F, 150F, and 170F, and it has auto shutoff timed feature and temp indicating lights. My trust in the absolute accuracy of temperature is not high, but they are repeatable values that seem to have measurably different outcomes, which is really what I care about.

I have given it a go with two pieces thus far:
  • An 18mm Orb V2 with the XQ2
  • An XMax V3 Pro through a smaller, maybe 8" matrix recycler of the type sold unbranded on Vgoodiez, with a wide (4"?) base
I've enjoyed using both and feel confident in my assessment: the Orb benefited notably from it on the medium setting, with the temp held both stable and notably warm, and will likely even more shine on the high. I filled it up to about 1.5 inches over the perc, more than my usual, and it worked well.

However, even on the lowest setting the matrix recycler got uncomfortably hot to handle after coming to temperature, unfortunately-- without either wrapping it in a towel or creating a handle, I wouldn't want to keep using it.

Mug warmers are surprisingly cheap and obtainable, and work marvelously for their intended purpose too.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I have been enjoying warm/hot water filled pieces more recently, and ordered a 3 temp mug heater from Amazon. Ostensibly the temps are 130°F, 150F, and 170F, and it has auto shutoff timed feature and temp indicating lights. My trust in the absolute accuracy of temperature is not high, but they are repeatable values that seem to have measurably different outcomes, which is really what I care about.

I have given it a go with two pieces thus far:
  • An 18mm Orb V2 with the XQ2
  • An XMax V3 Pro through a smaller, maybe 8" matrix recycler of the type sold unbranded on Vgoodiez, with a wide (4"?) base
I've enjoyed using both and feel confident in my assessment: the Orb benefited notably from it on the medium setting, with the temp held both stable and notably warm, and will likely even more shine on the high. I filled it up to about 1.5 inches over the perc, more than my usual, and it worked well.

However, even on the lowest setting the matrix recycler got uncomfortably hot to handle after coming to temperature, unfortunately-- without either wrapping it in a towel or creating a handle, I wouldn't want to keep using it.

Mug warmers are surprisingly cheap and obtainable, and work marvelously for their intended purpose too.

Warm water is indeed the best for SMOOTH vapor. Unfortunately, most of my water rigs have large thick glass bottoms, but I might try using the “coffee warmer” I bought about 4 years ago anyways. (link below).

It’s a handy device to own. For cleaning small vape parts, in small glass ball jar.
Some cleaners like Dark Crystal Glass, work best WARMED UP, and can be reused a few times, as a bottle isn’t cheap.

Also good to warm up distillate (syringe), before injecting in an empty cart, also pre-warmed.

maskedcorrespondent

XQ2, Dynaverse, Xmax
Warm water is indeed the best for SMOOTH vapor. Unfortunately, most of my water rigs have large thick glass bottoms, but I might try using the “coffee warmer” I bought about 4 years ago anyways. (link below).

It’s a handy device to own. For cleaning small vape parts, in small glass ball jar.
Some cleaners like Dark Crystal Glass, work best WARMED UP, and can be reused a few times, as a bottle isn’t cheap.

Also good to warm up distillate (syringe), before injecting in an empty cart, also pre-warmed.

I had a similar concern about the thermal capacity it would be able to act on, but it has warmed both scientific water pieces with a fair chunk of water, and also a few chunkier ceramic mugs with a rim on the bottom (e.g. an air gap that I would expect to decrease effectiveness) pretty amply, to my surprise.

TedJones

Nice. First thought was orb probably has thinner glass .. but yea, obviously holds a couple of coffee cups of water or so. Other rig probably doesn’t hold much, and the thicker glass gets/stays hot. Intrigued since I’ve been trying to use distilled and will for different seshs as long as it stays clean. Protégé and others that take some good h2o maybe ..

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Nice. First thought was orb probably has thinner glass .. but yea, obviously holds a couple of coffee cups of water or so. Other rig probably doesn’t hold much, and the thicker glass gets/stays hot. Intrigued since I’ve been trying to use distilled and will for different seshs as long as it stays clean. Protégé and others that take some good h2o maybe ..

I only use distilled water too, in my concentrate only rig. I dump the water every 2-4 sessions, water starts to get a bit cloudy, and I can start to see tiny amounts of resin/oil collecting on the glass above the water line. Cleaning sooner rather then later makes it easier, use either “Simple Green Crystal” (no additives), or PBW. Then I’m vaping like new glass!

Anyways, re-warming the distilled water a few times should be fine. I’ll have to be careful as my warmer can go to 220f, and the case is metal, so it gets HOT. Directly under my rig…… could be interesting 🤔

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: TedJones

TedJones

I dump the water every 2-4 sessions, water starts to get a bit cloudy,
I’m right about here as well although sometimes sooner as flower boogers seem to make their way through. Particular rigs just seem to attract no matter how many adapters/screens I try :lol: Been using that PBW for a couple years and it’s rocks!

I do use a warmer at work for coffee. Very basic with one setting and will bring home for a test 👍 May be worth a better one for home.

Dabberhashery

electrobubblerizer
I just bought a coffee warmer to give this a go, I currently have my least favourite bubbler on it as a test :science: its a fauxbius matrix from dhgate with a big thick base... so far so good, it seems to be warming up the water - it took a while for the heat to filter through the base, but there is now condensation in the bubbler so the water is getting nicely warm with the heat plate set to 55c / 130f.

Is anyone using the cranberry extract and citric acid in their heated water? Both ingredients seem ok to heat - citric acid breaks down but google says 'When heated above 175°C, it decomposes through the loss of carbon dioxide and water' and surely cranberry extract (VG, pure H20 and cranberries) is going to be ok.....

I think it might be better than using pure (distilled or tap) water, from a germs/water mold point of view.... perhaps? Only one way to find out :rofl:

Edit: whoa this is really something.... first hit straight up hit the spot... the electrobubbler is ALIVE! mwahahahah....now the only non-electronic component in the mix is me and the herb :borg:

Last edited:
Dabberhashery,

TedJones

@Dabberhashery good deal! Does yours have different temperature settings and how big is it? Mine from work was too small for the protege I wanted to use with (Mr. Coffee basic). Was thinking it might warm the water too much also, but could always remove I guess..

Dabberhashery

electrobubblerizer
The one I have is 13cm diameter for the heated pad area, here is a pic with the saml straight fab

20240229-211358.jpg

It does have lots of different settings (three temps each for glass, metal and ceramic) but really it just covers from 55 to 85c in 5c increments.

Last edited:
Dabberhashery,

Dabberhashery

electrobubblerizer
I think this is going to be a permanent fixture for me, I was concerned that the heat would make the water go bad too quickly.

I have researched lots about water-borne germs and it is more of a concern here because the water is heated in the 'danger zone' for germs to grown and then will be 'aerosolised' and the inhaled. This means it's different from drinking a coffee kept warm on the hot plate.

I'm happy with how the water (distilled, NACE cranberry extract and citric acid) looked after 8 hours on the hot plate and a few sessions, and I'm still here today :lol:

I will be more likely to check I am achieving a ph of 5 or so with the citric acid and change the water every day and keep an eye on what it looks like a bit more.

Top Bottom