Money for vaping

shredder

Reading about the end of the vape life forum got me curious.

How does a vape company become indebted to a vape reviewer? And in a larger sense how do vape reviewers make money? Money for hits on you tube I understand, but the rest I don't understand. Are some reviewers obligated in some way to the vape company?

I don't care if a vape company spreads some cash and or swag around. But I also think the review should state that clearly. Some do. I guess the same thing should be when posters on vape forums get free gear. I mean it has to affect your perception in some way.

Also it seems the same people are always beta testers. Why is that? Is it the posters reaching out? Or is it the vape company reaching out to certain posters? How does all all this work? Enlighten me.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I do not have insight into all you are asking about, but I can try answer a few of your Qs. Others with experience may have a different take on it...

I think the waters get a little muddied on compensation. One can get paid through monetizing videos with ads, but I believe Bud also had sales agreements with every one of the vapes he reviewed. In that case, he was compensated for purchases that used the links at the bottom of his videos. In that latter scenario, I bet Ghost owed him a ton of money for sales that were generated and "clicked" through Bud's videos.

Outside of that, if one has "influencer" status on social media sites like instagram, there will be further agreements for compensation, just for posting about it. Some work off a handshake, but the most successful influencers use pretty tight contracts that cover compensation for pics versus videos, frequency of posts, events of default, etc.

I also agree that a "reviewer" should mention if they are getting compensated. I have not watched his videos in a LONG time, but I do believe Bud used to mention his compensation at the end of his segments.

I have done some product testing for this industry, but I have much more extensive testing experience with RC aircrafts. I share my thoughts on forums when I think there is something relevant to add, but I don't write traditional reviews for posting. Constructive comments go straight to the manufacturer before the public, then perhaps will repost some of those thoughts after a release.

That said, I can unashamedly tell you that all products I have worked with across both industries are given for testing at no cost. Understand that more often than not, products are delivered before pricing is even set. I know you think that may skew perspective and create bias, but it really does not for many honest reviewers [I know, not everyone is honest]. Many just can not flatter when it is unwarranted.

Product development and production is LONG. There has to be someone to put it through its paces, identify flaws and offer constructive criticism for improvements. Before you invest in large production runs, you want to make sure more people get products to test so that you can identify any quality control variances across X many units. One tries to address any and all issues before going into a larger scale production run. Obviously this example above is GROSSLY oversimplified, but you can see how during that period, there are usually quite a few test units that go out.

I do not recall ever requesting to test, I think more often reps just look for active posters who have a lot of experience. I've worked with devices from reps I knew, some that I became friendly with after years on FC, and other reps who were completely new to me.

I would add, that if this is a road you want to go down, have fun and keep it light. It can be a lot of work and turn into a job if you want it to. If you want a start, I have seen YoCan looking for new testers recently. Try posting them a note and see how it goes. Keep putting yourself out there and it will happen!

Last edited:

shredder

I would add, that if this is a road you want to go down, have fun and keep it light. It can be a lot of work and turn into a job if you want it to. If you want a start, I have seen YoCan looking for new testers recently. Try posting them a note and see how it goes. Keep putting yourself out there and it will happen!

Not a road for me, I barely vape herb anymore, like I said im just curious.

And this is a murky aspect of the vaping business that probably could use some light. It reminds me of the old adage about playing poker, if you don't know who the sucker is, its you, lol.

howie105

I think it is a question of who and what you know for beta testers, I have done a little beta testing on a few products and I usually knew someone at the manufacturer and I had experience in the product type.... IT IS NOT NEPOTISM!....OK it's only a little about nepotism.

howie105,
Reactions: shredder

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I tried to edit this morning, but I'd add that one difference between product testing and reviewer, is that many reviewers probably do buy their own. I can think of a few people off hand, and I expect Bud bought more than his fare share; at the same time there are many companies that give away products and he probably got his share of those also.

Beta tests can be relationship driven, sometimes not... I had never heard of Vivant when I got involved in their Beta program. This device has grown to be one of my favorite 2min vapes. I post praise for it because I love the vapor signature and use it a lot; not because I got it during a beta program. It stands up agains some of the best vapes out there.

Last edited:

stinkytofus

Manufacturer sends you a beta or completed model for review hoping to use your reach as a way for them to gain massive exposure, say if newvape sent u a free whole kit worth maybe $500, they spent 500 usd to expose themselves to the "influencers" or "reviewers", if you had 1,000,000 followers, that $500 "loss" by giving to you free goes a long way if they get a bunch of orders from the followers ordering after watching the review

Second way they make money is by recommending product purchases on their sites/videos via link w/coupon codes usually, if people use the link and codes, the sale counts towards the person promoting it and they get a cut

This is how i see it working, correct me if im wrong

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
And this is a murky aspect of the vaping business that probably could use some light.
It is not just the vaping industry, it is virtually all industries. Beta testing and promotion is part of marketing and sales, especially on electronics but really for anything.

cybrguy,
Reactions: shredder

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
And in a larger sense how do vape reviewers make money?

I've been beta testing and reviewing products online for well over a decade. A few times a year a manufacturer in this space will reach out to me, usually for my feedback on something. But most opportunities these days in the vape industry are for reviewing cheap entry level Chinese vapes which frankly does not interest me in the least. Honestly I don't even feel comfortable testing those entry level vapes, the last few I tried were so harsh and offputting that I lost interest in sacrificing my lungs to review some shitty import vaporizer.

Similar to @FlyingLow , I started out in the RC space. I was testing and reviewing brushless motors and A123 lithium batteries when 12 turn brushed motors and NiCad batteries were still the standard.

I've never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER been approached for monetary compensation for the review or testing of a product. Best case scenario is you get some comped gear, anything really cool and expensive is often required to be sent BACK to the company. Especially for beta testing where any type of diagnostic or inspection of the evaluated product is necesarry for final production.

Anyone making actual money, as in, a livable income doing reviews is getting paid out industry money by a manufacturer of said product or the distributor of said product, and that's going to have a direct effect on how they recommend products. It's affiliate marketing and its Ad Sense. The only other way to make money is to take an under the table bribe. You can buy products with your own cash and even make a review, but there's no way to make a dime off that without kickbacks from somebody. Even Google doesn't give payouts for someone to just visit your website, someone has to click on a paid Ad Sense link for you to even get 10 cents.

Most of these reviewers are commissioned their own affiliate discount code which is kept track of by the back end of an e-commerce platform where companies can evaluate metrics and payouts. Ad Sense on the other hand uses Cookies to leave a "crumb trail" to those who purchased products by using your backlink, which again allows you to track your "influence" and thus, get paid.

There's websites that will even give you a monetary value based on your online stats and social media rankings to give outside companies a dollar estimate for approaching social media influencers.

I just watched a great youtube video on this whole phenomenon a few days ago from somebody involved in a different hobby with over 350,000 subscribers. Their exact words "as a viewer, or as someone who consumes content, and you're putting your trust into people, I dont care if you're watching my channel, or anybody elses channel; just assume that our opinions are compromised. Everybody is earning money and some people aren't as honest as others are about this."

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I occasionally get approached by vape manufacturers asking for my advice on who would be good members to give them feedback. I then provide them with a list of members that I think would be helpful to them and they then send out some vapes. It makes sense as they know that I know the membership here much better than they do.

:peace:

LabPong

I started out in the RC space. I was testing and reviewing brushless motors and A123 lithium batteries when 12 turn brushed motors and NiCad batteries were still the standard.

Matching cells....speed juice...begging your buddy with a dyno to let you use it for a couple days.....tire dope.....expensive capped tires for 10th scale gas pan car racing.......yokomo rubber for my associated and Calandra 12th scale......painting bodies at midnight while you bong it up.....spending way more money than you make every week at the hobby store........nitro all over your good tools and parts.......piles of broken graphite and aluminum......lol You name it...I have raced it.....1985-1993.

I do not miss that hobby at all now........

But Boating RC....I can do....sail boats....lol

Vaping for money......where is that line I can get into? :cool:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Matching cells....speed juice...begging your buddy with a dyno to let you use it for a couple days.....tire dope.....expensive capped tires for 10th scale gas pan car racing.......yokomo rubber for my associated and Calandra 12th scale......painting bodies at midnight while you bong it up.....spending way more money than you make every week at the hobby store........nitro all over your good tools and parts.......piles of broken graphite and aluminum......lol You name it...I have raced it.....1985-1993.

I do not miss that hobby at all now........

But Boating RC....I can do....sail boats....lol

Vaping for money......where is that line I can get into? :cool:
That is awesome! I too was deep into racing 1/5 scale with my Baja5T... got so tired of wrenching all the time, I switched to air... in fact, was supposed to be at a big fly-in this week:bang:

Top Bottom