StemPod by MPL

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Thanks for the thorough review @AJS, I guess you were inspired! ;)

Were you using the atty in Power or TC mode?

From my experience with commercial on-demand convection vapes as well as building my custom ones (including the Project variants etc) I tend to prefer the inertia that a large mass heater provides. That's exemplified by the Zion (at least the two I have, since the latter versions seem to have more mixed feedback) where the train metaphor was not chosen without any reason: you need to get it rolling, and once it does, it's like a freight train!

When the coil(s) is/are small, I find that temperature control is a must. For instance I find my MVT quite finicky to use as the coil is small and heats up and cools down very fast. Same way I found the Project barely usable in Power mode unless you use a very low value (ex: 20W) hence why I use all 3 variants exclusively in TC mode.

With a light mass heater your heat curve ends like a saw tooth very quickly with ups and downs. When you add mass, it's like if you were applying a low pass filter to the signal: it smoothes fast changes out. Of course at the cost of more inertia and less instant "on-demand action". You need to wait more to pre-heat before drawing etc.

Plus there's the higher surface area argument. As well as the fact that with more mass/surface (i.e either using a mesh or smaller gauge wire) you don't need to get the metal glowing. That's really a plus as there are valid concerns around oxidation and metal fatigue.

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
From my experience with commercial on-demand convection vapes as well as building my custom ones (including the Project variants etc) I tend to prefer the inertia that a large mass heater provides. That's exemplified by the Zion (at least the two I have, since the latter versions seem to have more mixed feedback) where the train metaphor was not chosen without any reason: you need to get it rolling, and once it does, it's like a freight train!
I'm trying to stay away from comparing (obviously you're welcome to), so I won't say which I prefer, but it is cool seeing how both systems operate and the benefits of each. This heater setup has lots of bonuses that a HSA heater may lack in, and vice versa. All depends on usage style and how you want to go about your session/1 hit KO.

When the coil(s) is/are small, I find that temperature control is a must. For instance I find my MVT quite finicky to use as the coil is small and heats up and cools down very fast. Same way I found the Project barely usable in Power mode unless you use a very low value (ex: 20W) hence why I use all 3 variants exclusively in TC mode.
I don't have any experience with other on demand electric vapes that are coil based, so I cannot say how this is different, but this is how I would expect a coil vape to work in theory, as you described, touchy, finncky. Throughout my use though, I do not find this to be true with the StemPod at all. Not only do I not find it to be this way, the abv doesn't either. Been nearly perfectly even every try, the water hits are effortless, I never feel like I'm on the verge of combusting or not getting vapor, it's just a super consistent heater setup. (P.S. I've only used wattage mode with great success).

With a light mass heater your heat curve ends like a saw tooth very quickly with ups and downs. When you add mass, it's like if you were applying a low pass filter to the signal: it smoothes fast changes out. Of course at the cost of more inertia and less instant "on-demand action". You need to wait more to pre-heat before drawing etc.
I continue to get vapor for about 3 seconds after letting off the trigger, so there is still some solid heat retention, but obviously not quite as long as if it were a higher surface area. So the reaction isn't instant, but quick. It doesn't feel like you were playing Call of Duty on 3 sensitivity and randomly jumped to 10 and are now spinning in circles every time you try to aim, it feels much more intuitive. Again, I haven't used other coil vapes so I cannot compare or say if this avoids any hassles they deal with, I just know I don't feel like I'm experience many drawbacks from it. And if there is a drawback, there is a positive somewhere else.

That's really a plus as there are valid concerns around oxidation and metal fatigue.
Makes sense, these coils have to be replaced eventually.

Glad you stopped by with your thoughts KeroZen, you're good at theorizing without using. Dan and I have been going sorta back and forth where I'll say 1 little fact I notice, and then every implication that little objective measure can have. Sure makes the process easier not having to test every single variable when you can sorta reason through it in your head or by talking it out. Of course, if it's a big enough claim, it'll be put to the test ;)

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
Man I'm jelly @AJS . I had some issues with setup. I definitely got some nice rips and felt it had A TON of potential but never got it running quite the same as you and what I have seen from Dan.

I chalk it up to beta model 2 and some user issues as well (coil change).

I am not in the least bit concerned and still excited as hell to get the production unit!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Man I'm jelly @AJS . I had some issues with setup. I definitely got some nice rips and felt it had A TON of potential but never got it running quite the same as you and what I have seen from Dan.

I chalk it up to beta model 2 and some user issues as well (coil change).

I am not in the least bit concerned and still excited as hell to get the production unit!
I know man I felt bad when I heard what happened. Trying to be as vocal as possible with as much detail so everyone can feel like they're hitting it too haha.

"Live through me, my children, and the truth will be clear."
-AJesusS

Edit:
Got a little milk video for you guys from a cold start.
https://instagram.com/p/BkPH79plrAA/

Last edited:

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
I know man I felt bad when I heard what happened. Trying to be as vocal as possible with as much detail so everyone can feel like they're hitting it too haha.

"Live through me, my children, and the truth will be clear."
-AJesusS

Edit:
Got a little milk video for you guys from a cold start.
https://instagram.com/p/BkPH79plrAA/
Yeah in many ways I felt like a dumb ass.. I mean I am experienced with convection vapes and even have moderate experience with mod boxes but I just could not get it right. But what I told Dan is that this is good learning for him. If I was having these problems then someone else would undoubtedly have them as well and it was something he needed to consider with the final package/instructions. All in all still time well spent with it.....

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
How is battery life compared to splinter? I would expect more as coil area is less...

oddjobold,

AJS

Calm Consistency
How is battery life compared to splinter? I would expect more as coil area is less...
I think you're right. Altho if Splinter was used as a session and you rode that extra residual heat, could be close.

Let me try to remember here, I did I think 1 bowl dry yesterday and 3 through water and I went from like 4.10-3.83. Granted my water seshes go quick, only about 3 rips to kill a bowl. I'll track better today. I'm only using a single battery by the way. My other mod uses 2/3. Hopefully at least 4-6 bowls, that would be great.
______
Decided to try microdose setup with a 14mm reducer. Dan said he tried something similar and thought the herb was too far away to really be a practical microdose solution. So I said to myself HA! We'll see!
Well, it worked great and I had great results, but he's probably right. There's more efficient microdose setups out there than the reducer / 14mm stem. I did get dark abv tho, great flavor, and great effects, but Wattage had to really be cranked out and was tough to find a good balance of airflow and heat. Definitely works and I'll be trying it more most likely.
https://instagram.com/p/BkQRZ_3FqWm/

Next time I'll take out oring and see if I can seat the herb closer to the heater.

TastyTicTac

I'm planning on pre-ordering a stempod. It seems like an awesome product, thanks for sharing so much information on it @AJS

Is there any estimation of when the ship date for the pre-orders will be?

AJS

Calm Consistency
Hey all,

Little water sesh for you guys. Forgot the wattage I used, I possibly say in the video. Tonight I'm going to try cruise mode TC, been testing dry to practice the higher temps so I can do massive rips through water and avoid combustion. Going to go for a huge cloud sesh tonight as well as a primer+super rip to really see the hit this thing can bring out at top performance.

But for now ...

Summer

Long Island, NY
@AJS, how long did you preheat for & do you always preheat? Wouldn't preheating only be necessary from a cold start or after those hits you stir before? And what are you initial thoughts on the Evic mini?

After this bt'ing, you're gonna need a t-break & some well deserved sleep. :)

AJS

Calm Consistency
@AJS, how long did you preheat for & do you always preheat? Wouldn't preheating only be necessary from a cold start or after those hits you stir before? And what are you initial thoughts on the Evic mini?

After this bt'ing, you're gonna need a t-break & some well deserved sleep. :)
Hey summer,

I preheat 1-2 seconds. Barely any.
Evic mini is great. Small. Simple. Works. I feel like it's the perfect intro mod for 510 devices. Really nothing wrong with it that I can tell.

I've taken plenty of naps since testing commenced.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Cool looking device! How much are these supposed to cost and when's the first real run? I signed up at the website link but I didn't find details on pricing and availability from skimming around this thread.

bossman,
Reactions: AJS

mephisto

Looks like the preorder price is still in place at the Stempod site. Thanks for the pics @AJS, still anticipating your book on anger management.....

mephisto,
Reactions: AJS

fogbank

Watching this thread closely now...

It looks like my eLeaf iStick Pico 75W won't work with the Stempod, as the attachment is too wide (Pico can handle 23mm-24mm max). I'm considering an Evic Primo Mini 80W.

Can any of the testers comment on how much the Stempod smells during use, and how easy it is to combust?

I imagine that since it's basically pure convection, with no continuous heating of the material, that there would be minimal smell (like Firefly and Grasshopper).

But combustion can kill stealth, even with convection vapes. Is it easy to get consistent vapor from the Stempod with little to no chance of combustion?

Thanks!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
If you manage to set TC mode properly, then I don't think you could combust no. It's like a safety belt. Well, unless you set it too high in temperature of course.

In power mode, yes you probably can if you are not careful and overdo the trigger (or configure the power too high)

KeroZen,
Reactions: Hogni

AJS

Calm Consistency
Watching this thread closely now...

It looks like my eLeaf iStick Pico 75W won't work with the Stempod, as the attachment is too wide (Pico can handle 23mm-24mm max). I'm considering an Evic Primo Mini 80W.

Can any of the testers comment on how much the Stempod smells during use, and how easy it is to combust?

I imagine that since it's basically pure convection, with no continuous heating of the material, that there would be minimal smell (like Firefly and Grasshopper).

But combustion can kill stealth, even with convection vapes. Is it easy to get consistent vapor from the Stempod with little to no chance of combustion?

Thanks!
I just tested a few temps dry to test the heat and how dark the abv got. 440 got dark, so I stay around 420 max to ensure I never combust. Shouldn't be possible once you know the limits, very easy.

Smell will be like the GH or any other on demand convection. The warm herb in the chamber after a hit will produce a smell, the vapor you exhale will produce a smell. That is it.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@AJS, what's the benefit of temp mode over wattage? And am I correct that temp mode is TC SS?

Edited to add: Since I don't have any need for cruise mode, the only 1 benefit of TCR is increasing duration from 10 - 20 sec. But wattage is so darn good & it's what Ryan recommends & a lot of users like, I can always press the button 2x to get to 15 sec. But what will TC SS do me? And I believe someone the other day mentioned they were gonna try TC Ni. Just looking for a rudimentary understanding.

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
@AJS, what's the benefit of temp mode over wattage? And am I correct that temp mode is TC SS?
Using TCR on the preinstalled coils. TCR is at about 290, this is what got 440F to very dark abv, makes me think the temp is pretty accurate.

Temp mode is just super consistent and easy and I can just draw indefinitely and never worry about combustion and get insane clouds and great abv. It's nice that I can just cruise mode it, I won't cruise mode in wattage.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I understand what you said, @AJS. But still what to be sure that temp mode means TC SS in this case or do you mean TCR because you mentioned cruise mod? Thanks!
When I flip through the different menu options of Wattage, SS, etc, I click the one that just says "TCR" and I set my own TCR, for temp mode. I think that's what you are asking lol. I don't know what TC SS is, I don't use it.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Best of my understanding so far, TC SS is stainless steel temp control for 316 stainless steel coils with a resistance under .3ohm. If the coils are other than 316 you then would choose the TCR setting. I wonder if the coils in the SP are 316 &, due to its coil design, if it would even be applicable as TC SS is used with kanthal wire? And if usable, would there be any advantage over power/wattage mode? Mods also have a TC Ni for nickel (may even include chrome) & TC Ti for titanium. Just trying to get a handle on how mods function in general & how the settings might interface with the SP cartridge. If anyone knows, please chime in. Sorry for being a little OT. :)

Summer,
Reactions: KeroZen

Hippie

TC SS means different things to different manufacturers.
It's a preset TCR value for temperature control with Stainless Steel coils
Depending on the manufacturer they use the a preset TCR value for either 304, 316, 317, 316L or 317L stainless steel and just call it SS
As they're all quite close it doesn't make much difference in my experience. Those with anal number obsessions that must have matching numbers and temps won't like it tho :) as the numbers are often a little out, although they are usually consistent.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Ladies n gents,

I'm dedicating Sunday to intense ModPod testing. Will have the house to myself and can test all kinds of glass and super rips and all that good jazz. If you have any suggestions let me know, I'll probably go live on IG sometime tomorrow so come join and ask any questions or suggestions. Hopefully @supershredderdan can either go on with me or can watch and we can bust out some good testing. Not sure how long I can live for, the StemPod been wrecking me lately and it's hard to hold out for more, but I'll probably sacrifice my sanity for the good of the StemPod.

The rips I get through water with this thing are absolutely insane. This vape, nearly without a doubt, will fit the needs of almost all the water hard hitter junkies out there. The hits I get are larger than I could ever need, flavor is amazing through water too, and the effects can be nauseatingly strong. Wish my friend who makes my clouds look like steam could get a chance to try it. He'd really be able to put it to the test. If the vapor thins before he's ready to cough, it doesn't pass the test. Only a few have passed the hard hit test from him, the king still being the LSV. He takes his big hits seriously, his seshes consist of packing a nug in a bowl. Ripping it for flavor. Flipping it, ripping again, more flavor and dries out the herb. Crumbles to a powder then rips the shit out of it and gets some of the biggest hits you've seen. Man is a beast. Not much of a vape connoisseur, more of a what can get me as stoned as possible connoisseur, only with vapes and dabs tho ;). Combustion doesn't cut it.

Anyway sorry for rambling, hope to get some good vids for everyone tomorrow! J Hook, hammer bubbler exhales, d020d milks, high airflow rips, low airflow rips, med temp flavor milks, stem seshes, stem clouds, anything else I can brew up, we'll see. Tons of combinations. Maybe I'll try to swap coils so people can see how a total noob does with that sort of thing.

Woo! Science! Testing! StemPod! Stoned! :science::whoa::haw::freak:

Top Bottom