MMJ for cancer treatment side effects

izzytoots

So my mom was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer and has just finished radiation and is starting chemo. I just want some input on what MMJ can do for her during her treatment, possibly send some articles her way to read. I came here because I want some first hand information from people that actually have had cancer in the past. I don't really know where to start when it comes to medical, cause I'm a recreational smoker. Anyways, if you need more info, just ask, and I will try to answer to the best of my ability. Oh, and I live in Colorado

On another note, I was wondering what strains you guys would suggest for anxiety and stress. I left for my first semester at the uni, and then a week later, my dad calls me up to come home because my mom is "really sick." Ever since then, I've been under a lot of stress and I find it hard to do my school work. What helps all of you guys with your stress and anxiety? Is getting a medcard worth it? Any other tips to dealing with this kind of stuff?

Thanks,
Izzy

izzytoots,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
Hi Izzy, i don't have any firsthand knowledge cause i've never had Chemo, but many people find that MMJ relieves the nausea/pain associated with Chemo better than pills. I have a few friends that did use MMJ during Chemo because conventional medicine was not helping and they felt they had enough prescriptions in their systems

I'm not sure if the collectives are set up in Co yet, but a good co-op should have some very knowledgeable bud tenders .

I would recommend that she vapes it or eats it-but eating it is tricky-can't really control how high she gets and it may be unpleasant for a newbie unless she titrates her dose -tinctures might be a good starting point.

I only glanced at these articles but do a google search and form your own opinions on the pro's and con's for your mom.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/tre...vemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/marijuana

http://www.medicalmarijuana.net/uses-and-treatments/cancer-and-chemotherapy/

http://www.medicalmarijuanastrains.com/strain-guide/

http://www.leafly.com

Good luck

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I can't speak to how it will affect your mom on the type of chemo she is on for cancer. However, I was on a form of chemo for Hep C and found that herb helped me immensely. I can honestly say that I don't think I would have been able to complete my treatment without it.

I found that herb helped me have an appetite. it helped with the nausea that the drugs would give me. And it helped me sleep. It also helped my emotional well being. I was also on narcotics for the debilitating headaches I got from some of the meds. Between the narcs and the herb, I was able to complete my chemo treatment successfully.

I would hesitate to give anyone edibles that has not used herb before. There are dosage problems, like Vapors said above, and the worst thing that you could do would be to "overdose." I would think that vaporizing would be the best approach. Maybe something easy like a wax pen...?

And if you are in a medical state then by all means take advantage of it and the knowledge of the dispensary growers.

Best of luck to you and your mom. I know this is a difficult time for your family.

Last edited:
So my mom was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer and has just finished radiation and is starting chemo. I just want some input on what MMJ can do for her during her treatment, possibly send some articles her way to read. I came here because I want some first hand information from people that actually have had cancer in the past. I don't really know where to start when it comes to medical, cause I'm a recreational smoker. Anyways, if you need more info, just ask, and I will try to answer to the best of my ability. Oh, and I live in Colorado

On another note, I was wondering what strains you guys would suggest for anxiety and stress. I left for my first semester at the uni, and then a week later, my dad calls me up to come home because my mom is "really sick." Ever since then, I've been under a lot of stress and I find it hard to do my school work. What helps all of you guys with your stress and anxiety? Is getting a medcard worth it? Any other tips to dealing with this kind of stuff?

Thanks,
Izzy
Hey Izzy, Sorry to hear about your Mother. My Mom was diagnose with ovarian cancer and colon cancer at the same time when I was 18 years old and it was really hard to deal with. She never used MMJ and made it through fine, she is healthy and doing very good now. That said, I was diagnosed with leukemia when I was 21 years old and I don't know if I would be alive right now if I didn't have MMJ to help me through chemo. Chemo affects everyone differently and every person has different treatment protocol depending on their particular situation. Some people like me get really bad nausea and can't eat or drink very much without it. I also found it helped me be less depressed about my situation but everyone is different. If she doesn't want to use, don't pressure her. It would be a good idea to talk to her if she is struggling greatly with treatment. The most important thing though is that she knows you love her and that you are there to help her through this difficult time. She needs her family with her now more than she needs anything else, but discussion about MMJ usually doesn't hurt.

Good luck with everything Izzy, I hope everything turns out well.

Top Bottom