Migraines: Treating my (MJ free) girlfriend

ander

I've finally persuaded my girlfriend to give it a try, and yesterday she won the weekly attack of migraine without the usual dose of Novalgin (Metamizole) with only 3 little pulls of vapor from a PAX2 at around 190°C. These attacks cause head and cervical pain and specially a bad feeling that makes her unable to think clearly, to move or even talk...
After 20 minutes a milder pain was still present, but all the other (and more debilitating) symptoms were magically dissolved. As said, she is not used to take MJ in any form, so the side effects (such as the high) were a concern for her... but there weren't any at all, and she got back to work when she usually needed a 2 hour nap.
We'll do some more tests on the next attacks, but for now it seems that we achieved an interesting victory in terms of alternative medicine..!

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
M
We are addicted to this one so it is surely a good hint.

Until now..!
But in any case, she's very very open minded and she supports me in ALL my (so-called) illegal activities. I'm lucky, I guess.

My gf has terrible migraines so she cut out the "3 c's" .. then slowly introduced one of them back to her diet and it turned out to be caffeine causing her migraines. She used to drink like 10 cups of tea a day (were in the uk!) Now she drinks decaffeinated and its really helped her problems. She still gets one a month on hee period but she used to get them weekly.

I hope you can find the cause as they can be really debilitating.

George1151

I suffer from chronic headaches and diet changes including caffeine have absolutely no effect on mine. I have eliminated them all with no success. In women migraines are often hormonal. Gotta hope mj works for her, doesn't do much for me to abort and so far minimal help in preventing. Some say strains high in CBD are better for treating headache although no one really knows. It's trial and error and hopefully she finds something that works. Keep us posted.

ander

Some say strains high in CBD are better for treating headache although no one really knows.
I don't really know what kind of strain I'm using at the moment. It's a balanced, naturally outdoor grew sativa, that's all I know for sure. But with some luck, at the end of July I will have one of those "high CBD" strains... I will report back the results, certainly.

Last edited:
ander,

ander

But hey... since we are talking about a girl... where are you, FC girls..? Your experience is precious and needed!

VAPEHUNTER

For the past few months I've been helping my non MJ using wife with her migraines, back aches, and cramps. She has a very sensitive throat so vaping is not an option. I started her off with infused "jolly ranchers" and "Kiva™ chocolates". I started low and found that about a 7mg dose seems to do the trick. She says they have been working well for night time but during the day she can't be medicated at work. So my brother that has Epilepsy gave her a "Marys Medicinal™ transdermal pen" to try. She has only had it a couple of days so I can't say if it works for her or not but from the reviews I read it seems to work well for others and I think the pens may also be 50 state legal. Good luck!

MEDICAL | RECREATIONAL

Mary’s Medicinals
Transdermal Pen
Designed as an accompaniment to our patches, Mary’s transdermal gel pens are the perfect resource for patients managing breakthrough pain, or for creating blended cannabinoid ratios. The light gel is placed directly on the skin and gently rubbed in for rapid relief.

(50) 2mg Doses
CBD | Cannabidiol THC Indica | Tetrahydrocannabinol
CBN | Cannabinol THC Sativa | Tetrahydrocannabinol

George1151

@VAPEHUNTER that is very interesting. I have to say that I would prefer ingesting MJ to vaping when trying to abort or prevent headaches. Vaping doesn't last nearly as long as ingesting (mostly from what I have been told) plus I would much prefer to vape for pleasure rather than trying to use it as medicine.

In Canada there are no legal edibles even if you have a medical MJ prescription. There are just starting to be oils on the market but they are few and far between and very expensive for the amount of thc and cbd they contain. Another problem is that it seems that doctors (many not all) who prescribe MJ are so afraid of getting sued that they limit the amount of THC so that cuts the available strains in half and much less than half for some Canadian LP's (licenced producers). In my case I got my first prescription a month ago and was limited to strains with less than 12% THC (no limit on CBD). Being new to the whole legal marketplace in Canada I didn't protest too much but I saw a different MJ doctor at the same clinic and he only bumped me to 15% and told me that 18% is as high as medical MJ should be prescribed. I think he is/was totally full of s**t.

On the other hand with my chronic headaches I could easily get doctors to prescribe for me the strongest opioids on the market yet I refuse to take anything to abort the pain because in my case either the next day or the day after I get even worse headaches when using abortives, plus who wants to consume that stuff and then become dependent, get constipated, lose touch (although MJ can do that to you if you overdue it lol). In my case I can tolerate or more like endure the worst episodes. I am sure there are many who have no choice so no judgments on my part.

Personally the whole medical MJ thing is a crock in my opinion. There is not enough science to support what to use for what condition etc. MJ should have been legal for everybody 50 years ago. I often wonder if the mafia/cartels etc have bought off the politicians (around the world) to encourage the status quo on prohibition. How long has it been legal in Amsterdam/Netherlands? Don't think there has been much terrible behavior there as a result yet here we are happy to get a few crumbs of legality tossed at us here and there by our politicians while the "bad guys" continue to make trillions.

Sorry a little off topic. Thanks for the info on the trans-dermal CBD patch.

George1151,
Reactions: ander

ander

She has only had it a couple of days so I can't say if it works for her or not
Keep posting about her experience if you can, thanks!
I would much prefer to vape for pleasure rather than trying to use it as medicine.
Oh yeah I'm with you... curative effects are eventually a nice and welcome side-effect..! In fact, I'm trying to initiate my girlfriend..! ;)
How long has it been legal in Amsterdam/Netherlands? Don't think there has been much terrible behavior there as a result
Cannabis use has decreased over time... As is well known (from the dawn of times), man is more attracted from what is prohibited. It's about the charm of transgression, I guess..!

I live in a country where alcohol, tobacco and gambling are a social plague, silently endorsed by the government... what can I say... fuck off. I am a 360° farmer and I don't need their approval. Just stay away from my ladies, shit :argh: !!!
Ehm... sorry for the outburst....

Last edited:
ander,
Reactions: AJS

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I really hope my GF can use cannabis as a relief agent for her migraines. She gets them often and sumatriptan messes with her too much.

Winegums,

George1151

If you have access to oils they may be more effective for her than inhaling or vaping because they last longer. You can make edibles for her as well just try to make sure you have some idea what the thc/cbd amount is especially if she is not a regular user.

I have only just started using oil a few days ago 9%THC 17%CBD so its too soon to tell how effective it is for me. in Canada the oils are a lot more expensive than flower. I know someone who has been using a 22% THC oil for 6 weeks and says he hasn't had a migraine since he started using it. I can't get the seem oil because my prescription (Canada) is limited to 15%THC at the moment.

George1151,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
If you have access to oils they may be more effective for her than inhaling or vaping because they last longer. You can make edibles for her as well just try to make sure you have some idea what the thc/cbd amount is especially if she is not a regular user.

I have only just started using oil a few days ago 9%THC 17%CBD so its too soon to tell how effective it is for me. in Canada the oils are a lot more expensive than flower. I know someone who has been using a 22% THC oil for 6 weeks and says he hasn't had a migraine since he started using it. I can't get the seem oil because my prescription (Canada) is limited to 15%THC at the moment.
I'm Canadian as well but a black market buyer in BC. =]

I'll have to see what method works best. Vaping has the advantage of speed and easy control of dosing. Edibles are always a wild card in my eyes as they last so long, can be extremely potent, and dosage can vary from person to person.

Winegums,

George1151

I'm Canadian as well but a black market buyer in BC. =]

I'll have to see what method works best. Vaping has the advantage of speed and easy control of dosing. Edibles are always a wild card in my eyes as they last so long, can be extremely potent, and dosage can vary from person to person.

I am on my 4th day having used the oil (Mettrum Blue) and I am cautiously optimistic. I started fairly low and increased a but each night. I tend to get more of my headaches before going to bed at night or in the middle of the night or sometimes when I wake up.

As far as dosing it should be more precise (at least from the LP'S). The one I am taking is supposed to be 9mg THC and 17 mg CBD per ml of oil. Yesterday I took 0.6 ml around 9pm. I find I don't get very high at all. In my case the whole point is a long lasting effect to prevent the headache from occurring.

After 2 months of vaping various strains I don't think vaping is particularly effective for me especially overnight since it wears off, although I do think my headaches are a bit less frequent and severe. Although I have not used enough I find sativa mixed with a high CBD strain to be more effective than indica.

ander

MaryJane VS Migraine - Round 2

Yesterday my patient got "The strong attack", as she calls it: a paralyzing effect that causes nausea, pain all over the face and head, and a knife plugged on the back of the neck. Unluckily, I was out for work and she's not ready to use the PAX without me... so Novalgin was the only solution. After a 2 hour sleep, she woke up with the same feeling, maybe some headache was gone, but she looked like a zombie... really... a living dead. Novalgin acted like fresh water.
"It's time to try with the Holy Herb" I said. She desperately said "Ok". I've loaded a 0.2 and she took 3 small pulls... I've ripped the remains, and there was still much vapor: this just to say how small was her dose. Believe me, in 30 minutes I've assisted to a miracle... a dead that comes back to life. Facial pain, nausea, dizziness and so the paralyzing effect were vanished, and only the pain on the neck was still present but milder and "perfectly tolerable". Today she woke up with some diffused pain: another (maybe a little bigger) vapor application, another (and this time complete) success.
Her words: "I've tried many, many and strong drugs but none worked... MJ is the only one." Seems a slogan, I know... but it's real! So we celebrated together by planting some holy, blessed seeds.

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@ander what type of strain did you give to her?

Those results sound like nothing short of magic for a migraine sufferer. I'm glad she has a way of reducing and managing them now.

Winegums,

ander

@ander what type of strain did you give to her?
Is ehm... my strain. Natural growth, surely a Sativa, very cerebral and uplifting effect... spicy, herbal taste. Not strong this year. It's all I know...

Those results sound like nothing short of magic for a migraine sufferer.
Oh yes I know... or better, I can't imagine how painful a migraine attack can be, and if you find hard to believe me I can understand... cause I've assisted to a miracle, really. In 3 years of attacks and Novalgin, I can only say that the paths of nature are infinite and mysterious..!

ander,
Reactions: Winegums

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Is ehm... my strain. Natural growth, surely a Sativa, very cerebral and uplifting effect... spicy, herbal taste. Not strong this year. It's all I know...

Interesting, I'll have to see what works with her out of my selection I have at home.

Oh yes I know... or better, I can't imagine how painful a migraine attack can be, and if you find hard to believe me I can understand... cause I've assisted to a miracle, really. In 3 years of attacks and Novalgin, I can only say that the paths of nature are infinite and mysterious..!

Anything that works would be welcome as Sumatriptan makes her feel awful, drowsy, and gives a odd feeling in her chest. Worse yet it doesn't really help that much and doesn't consistently work on her headaches. Standard anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) have little to no effect on her.

Winegums,

ander

"Two types of migraines can occur: “common” migraines are accompanied by vomiting, nausea, and light sensitivity and “classical” migraines are preceded by an aura. It is thought that that a deficiency of endocannabinoids that causes migraines. When a patient is exposed to a migraine “trigger”, a chemical reaction in the brain normally causes the release of endocannabinoids. When people are lacking in endocannabinoids, the “trigger” causes a chemical release that causes a dilation of blood vessels in the brain, which can results in severe migraine pain. Some people, who are prone to migraines, try to supplement their endocannabinoids with a daily dose of a THC compound in the morning. If a migraine has already begun, vaporization or sublingual application of cannabis can be effective in combating it."

Last edited:

hibeam

alpha +
When I was younger, weed used to make my migraines much worse...now I think it was the smoking not the herb.

I use it as a preventative but still stay away from the 3 c's...and dairy, eggs, grains, legumes, foods high in sulfur, anything aged or fermented. Once I had removed all suspected triggers I was migraine free enough to identify an unsuspected trigger. I studied studies for decades, but I could not stop the attacks until I got a genetic profile that revealed a major metabolic disorder, no thanks to past doctors or those horrid tryptan drugs. (Natural tryptans, like shrooms, were effective but too hard to come by!) Everybody is different, but migraineurs share some bad genetics. I believe the endocannabinoid deficiency theory! I believe EDS also causes chronic depression.

PS anybody researching migraine treatment should learn all one can about the magnesium connection, especially with menstrual cramps and migraine. Magnesium supplementation saved at least one uterus I know.

Last edited:
hibeam,
Top Bottom