• I like it.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never tried it.

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters

little maggie

i have a hard time drinking matcha in tea form- as opposed to a shake. for some reason the suspension makes me cough.

little maggie,
Reactions: hafalump

Squiby

@little maggie That's one of the differences between ceremonial grade and culinary grade. The ceremonial grade is very very finely ground and does not scratch your throat. But the less expensive culinary grade is too scratchy for me and will make me cough.

The extra smoothness of the ceremonial grade has convinced me to stick with it instead. I've been consuming Matcha for about a decade and I don't like the scratchiness of the lower grades.

hafalump

@MinnBobber usucha is good every day matcha that won't break the bank. They refer to usucha as thin
because the kuicha, ceremony grade, uses twice the amount of tea powder and yeilds a thick almost gelatinous brew. It's a kinda gross mouth feel. So imagine that forty dollar tin of matcha disappearing at twice the rate.......

EverythingsHazy

For those who want to try culinary grade matcha, Jade Leaf makes a good powder. It's what I used to drink, before switching to culinary grade.

I am likely going to get some to compare, now that I have refined my preparation method. If you are adding milk or sugar, the Jade Leaf powder should be enjoyable.

I used to drink it straight, and as a latte. If I recall correctly, it was a bit more bitter/chlorophyll tasting, but not too much. I enjoyed it.

I'm planning on making matcha ice cream this summer. It's so good, and I've only had it once or twice.

little maggie

i noticed on amazon that they have ceremonial, culinary, and latte quality. the ceremonial ones are all about the same price but there are too many options to know whiiiiiich company to buy from. any suggestions based on what amazon sells/
right now i'm going to go downstairs and get a soft serve cone dipped in matcha. the other alternative is dipped in some kind of beet topping so its an easy choice.

EverythingsHazy

i noticed on amazon that they have ceremonial, culinary, and latte quality. the ceremonial ones are all about the same price but there are too many options to know whiiiiiich company to buy from. any suggestions based on what amazon sells/
right now i'm going to go downstairs and get a soft serve cone dipped in matcha. the other alternative is dipped in some kind of beet topping so its an easy choice.
That sounds really good! Let us know how it tastes!

Are you looking for suggestions for ceremonial grade? If so, I use Kyoto Dew. It is $22.99 for a 30g tin, but if you buy two at once, you get 20% off, which makes it a good deal for ceremonial grade matcha. It is bright green (you want bright green instead of brown), and tastes very smooth.

little maggie

That sounds really good! Let us know how it tastes!

Are you looking for suggestions for ceremonial grade? If so, I use Kyoto Dew. It is $22.99 for a 30g tin, but if you buy two at once, you get 20% off, which makes it a good deal for ceremonial grade matcha. It is bright green (you want bright green instead of brown), and tastes very smooth.
ordered. do you boil the water lke regular tea.

MinnBobber

I'm very new to matcha but each tea has a "best temp" for the water:

matcha: The perfect water temperature is around 80°C/176°F. Hotter water scorches the matcha powder and makes it taste bitter

FYI- quality black teas 205 F
quality green teas 195 F

I bought an electric kettle, set the temp on the display and you are good to go.

hafalump

No hotter than 175. You may want to try cooler ...... too hot will be bitter.
@MinnBobber 195 is hot for green, especially Japanese senchas. Try 10+ degrees cooler for
Chinese greens. And 170 ish for sencha. I've a sencha I brew at 165 and it is a knee buckler,
But if I go even 5 degrees more it is over steeped grass soup. Japanese teas can be very fussy!
@little maggie Whisk it! Whisk it good! Like Devo

EverythingsHazy

Awesome. Let us know how you like it.

I microwave my water (probably about 8-10oz) for 2m30s.

Whisk it until you have ancient layer of froth on top.

So 1 oz/ it says 30 grams.
What is a serving, how many grams to how much water?
How many cups from this size?
Thanks

Squiby is correct. A single serving is 1/2 tsp, but I usually double that for a thicker more concentrated tea.I'm going to try having two bowls with 1/2 tsp matcha in each, just so the drinking experience can last longer. The double strength s great fro when I have to be out of the house early, for something like class or training at the gym. It's a nice energy/focus boost.

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

I just tried adding in 1/2 tsp of Cocoa to 1/2 tsp Matcha, and it’s delicious. I might even add a bit less cocoa, since it almost completely masked the matcha flavor which I do enjoy. If you don’t like the flavor of matcha, though, you might be able to tolerate them with the cocoa. Highly recommended.

I just tried adding in 1/2 tsp of Cocoa to 1/2 tsp Matcha, and it’s delicious. I might even add a bit less cocoa, since it almost completely masked the matcha flavor which I do enjoy. If you don’t like the flavor of matcha, though, you might be able to tolerate them with the cocoa. Highly recommended.
Are you able to get matcha lattes from Starbucks where you live? Very nice and particularly refreshing iced. Ive even tried matcha cream frappachinos which are delicious. Im still enjoying matcha granola most mornings. I plan to brew matcha kombucha in about 2 weeks time. Will report my results.

EverythingsHazy

Here is an interesting video about theanine, which is one of the components of matcha that is responsible for some of its health benefits.

Are you able to get matcha lattes from Starbucks where you live? Very nice and particularly refreshing iced. Ive even tried matcha cream frappachinos which are delicious. Im still enjoying matcha granola most mornings. I plan to brew matcha kombucha in about 2 weeks time. Will report my results.
I must've missed this post. I haven't had matcha from Starbucks, but I do believe they have it available, around here, too.

Did you end up brewing that matcha kombucha?

EverythingsHazy,
Top Bottom