• I like it.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never tried it.

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters

MinnBobber

does matcha taste much more intense than regular green tea?
are the particles totally dissolved or are they kind of a floating sludge?

I love my green tea and it's kind of like vaping----water at 195 F and my stash of single plantation
Kenyan green tea (or Kenyan black with 205 F water).
I need to check if my tea shop/ beer and wine brew shop has matcha!

MinnBobber,

EverythingsHazy

does matcha taste much more intense than regular green tea?
are the particles totally dissolved or are they kind of a floating sludge?

I love my green tea and it's kind of like vaping----water at 195 F and my stash of single plantation
Kenyan green tea (or Kenyan black with 205 F water).
I need to check if my tea shop/ beer and wine brew shop has matcha!
Yea, it’s much stronger and somewhat of a suspension since the leaf powder doesn’t really dissolve, but it doesn’t taste bad. It’s just a bit thicker than tea from a bag.

I want to get a nice matcha bowl and wooden whisk, to enhance the whole experience, too.

EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: Mr.Sifter

Alexis

@biohacker easy mate :tup:. Did you ever try the Taheebo tea I suggested to yoy when you were on your break? It was one of the first ideas I had that prompted me to post to you in the break thread, what...9 months ago?

Initially in relation to your withdrawals, but Im sure I mentioned how it it an excellent coffe substitute. It looks, tastes and feeks very similar to coffee, it picks you up and gives energy without any crash. Loaded with B vitamins and minerals, amino acids. In particular, taheebo supercharges the immune system, with an astonishing reputation for curing cancer.

Anyway I seriously suggest it to anybody looking not just for a coffee substitute, but also an all round health tonic. Trust me bruv, if I could tolerate it I would be on that shit!:rockon:
The only downside (for those who aren't intolerant to practically everything) is that you need to brew the bark up in a saucepan for a 20 minute simmer.

We made the tea pretty strong in a full medium saucepan, so it could be diluted further and last longer. We could pour bolied water over a less than half cup full from the cold, strained tea and still have a nice strong tea. Or reheat in small saucepan...or drink cold.

You get teabags, but the stuff is only really effective (and damned tasty, thick, umprtuous, satsifying...:drool:) when you simmer the fresh taheebo bark.

And there is also another one I would def look into, called "Yerba mate". Similar to tea and coffee in terms of it's appeal as a beverage, but pretty good for you I believe.

@Mr.Sifter I would def reccommend you try the taheebo. Its packed with B vitamins and minerals that are great for depression, and I believe it also helps to raise seretonin.

biohacker

Just picked up my culinary grade Matcha from Costco and will have my first cup this morning. Also bought the organic green tea. Just experimenting at this point to see if it affects my sleep quality. Gotta love Costco, can return them anytime!

@Alexis thanks for your post bro, I haven't tried that tea...something about boiling tree bark in the house :rofl:

The wife is over 2 weeks into her break with zero issues! I have another break coming up soon too.:rolleyes: But for now i'm just breaking from flowers :lol:

EDIT: Matcha success! How much do you guys use? I tried a heaping tablespoon and it was way too much! Super strong, although I like it strong, but just way too much.... it dissolved super easily, I just added a bit of hot water at a time and stirred. But eventually it just settles on the bottom.

Think I need a proper tea making kettle though, as it was a bit bitter probably due to water temp (too hot).

Effects! Wow! Definitely feeling it, even before vaping!!! Nice feeling, think it's the theanine? Hope it doesn't negatively affect sleep, because I want this in my life if I can't do espresso!

Last edited:
Any of you guys like kombucha? I have really gotten into it over the past few months. I am going to brew a batch and use matcha and blend it with either organic black or green tea or perhaps a mix of both.

I have been a frequent visitor to Japan for many years and have had a lot of matcha and green tea. I like matcha but find it a little bitter sometimes. I really like matcha latte hot or iced as it tends to be better for me with a little sweetness added.

Matcha is also a very common and popular flavor for snacks in Japan. I like them a lot. Wife is Japanese and gets gifted a lot of Japanese snacks which usually end up mine lol.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Any of you guys like kombucha? I have really gotten into it over the past few months. I am going to brew a batch and use matcha and blend it with either organic black or green tea or perhaps a mix of both.

I have been a frequent visitor to Japan for many years and have had a lot of matcha and green tea. I like matcha but find it a little bitter sometimes. I really like matcha latte hot or iced as it tends to be better for me with a little sweetness added.

Matcha is also a very common and popular flavor for snacks in Japan. I like them a lot. Wife is Japanese and gets gifted a lot of Japanese snacks which usually end up mine lol.

Yeah, didn't Twix make a Macha flavored bar?

looney2nz,

biohacker

Do you guys like matcha ice cream? I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.... depends on the sushi place, but I think it's the sugar content that makes some tolerable and others :mmmm::lol:

I'm flying off this matcha! :rofl:Some nice synergy going on with the morning 'shish!

MinnBobber

Just picked up my culinary grade Matcha from Costco and will have my first cup this morning. Also bought the organic green tea. Just experimenting at this point to see if it affects my sleep quality. Gotta love Costco, can return them anytime!
What size is that and how much was it? I hadn't thought of Costco.
And it sounds like that culinary grade was satisfactory??? The ceremonial grade seems to be at least 2x the price of culinary.

I bought a digital tea/waterpot so I can do exact temps (like vaping) for my Kenyan green (195 F) and Kenyan black (205 F).
I wonder if 195 would be proper for green Matcha??

biohacker

In store it's 250g for $20 (CAN), but this is what we have available online:

https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?keyword=macha&pageSize=96&dept=

And it sounds like that culinary grade was satisfactory??? The ceremonial grade seems to be at least 2x the price of culinary.

I thought it was awesome but i'm a macha newb and appreciate the affordability. If it works for me and doesn't negatively affect my sleep then I can see myself getting more into it and purchasing a more expensive higher quality. It's not cheap!

I bought a digital tea/waterpot so I can do exact temps (like vaping) for my Kenyan green (195 F) and Kenyan black (205 F).

That sounds awesome I need one! I think my green tea said something like 174 but i'm sure it doesn't have to be exact? Maybe even lower for macha?

I gotta evolve and get some of this stuff!
Do it! I feel AMAZING this morning! Had an incredible workout, and have no need to medicate? Just riding my bubble hash wave from the morning!

Fasted all morning so now it's time for some nutrition! Wish I could toss back another macha, but don't wanna risk sleep.

hafalump

Pre warm your cup, try 160F. Matcha should not be bitter. It should be sweet like.
I brew Japanese sencha at 165-170F And match at 150F. Experiment, amazing how
Much difference a couple degrees can make.

EverythingsHazy

Making my first cup of the day, right now.

@Alexis thanks for your post bro, I haven't tried that tea...something about boiling tree bark in the house :rofl:

The wife is over 2 weeks into her break with zero issues! I have another break coming up soon too.:rolleyes: But for now i'm just breaking from flowers :lol:

EDIT: Matcha success! How much do you guys use? I tried a heaping tablespoon and it was way too much! Super strong, although I like it strong, but just way too much.... it dissolved super easily, I just added a bit of hot water at a time and stirred. But eventually it just settles on the bottom.

Think I need a proper tea making kettle though, as it was a bit bitter probably due to water temp (too hot).

Effects! Wow! Definitely feeling it, even before vaping!!! Nice feeling, think it's the theanine? Hope it doesn't negatively affect sleep, because I want this in my life if I can't do espresso!
Awesome! Glad you like it! A standard serving is 1/2tsp. I have between one and two single serving cups each day.

Do you guys like matcha ice cream? I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.... depends on the sushi place, but I think it's the sugar content that makes some tolerable and others :mmmm::lol:

I'm flying off this matcha! :rofl:Some nice synergy going on with the morning 'shish!
I love matcha ice cream. That’s actually how I found out about matcha. I was looking up how to make green tea ice cream, and came across matcha powder.

You can get 100g if culinary grade Jade Leaf brand matcha for ~$20 on Amazon, or 30g of ceremonial grade Kyoto Dew Matcha for ~$25. It’s a big price difference, but when making pure tea, it tastes better (less bitter, and smoother). It’s also only like $1-2 per cup.

I gotta evolve and get some of this stuff!
Yes, you do! With all the chemistry studying you do on natural supplements, you’ll have a field day with matcha!
In store it's 250g for $20 (CAN), but this is what we have available online:

https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?keyword=macha&pageSize=96&dept=

I thought it was awesome but i'm a macha newb and appreciate the affordability. If it works for me and doesn't negatively affect my sleep then I can see myself getting more into it and purchasing a more expensive higher quality. It's not cheap!

That sounds awesome I need one! I think my green tea said something like 174 but i'm sure it doesn't have to be exact? Maybe even lower for macha?

Do it! I feel AMAZING this morning! Had an incredible workout, and have no need to medicate? Just riding my bubble hash wave from the morning!

Fasted all morning so now it's time for some nutrition! Wish I could toss back another macha, but don't wanna risk sleep.
Culinary grade is all I drank for the past year, and while I do like my new ceremonial grade stuff better, I’m fine with culinary grade. If using culinary grade, iced lattes are so good.

Heat up about 2oz of milk, whisk in your matcha, and then pour it over a cup of milk with ice, and stir. Add sugar according to your preference, and enjoy.

EverythingsHazy

Just ordered some Toyu Mukashi from O-cha. Very high theanine content. Will let you know
What I think. And really not expensive compared to our favorite green stuff, and you wouldn't skimp on that, would you?...
How is it? I used to think that matcha was kind of pricey fora daily drink, but it's no more than a bottle or two of water, a store-bought cup of coffee, a glass of wine, etc., and it's extremely beneficial, so its more than worth it.

EverythingsHazy,

Squiby

How is it? I used to think that matcha was kind of pricey fora daily drink, but it's no more than a bottle or two of water, a store-bought cup of coffee, a glass of wine, etc., and it's extremely beneficial, so its more than worth it.

I drink a ceremonial grade Matcha everyday. Sometimes several times a day. I find the ceremonial grade very smooth, never bitter, almost creamy even. I sift about a half of a measured teaspoon and whisk it with a bit of hot water in a bowl to get that frothy top. Although it is yummy latte style, dairy milk negates much of the benefits because milk proteins latch onto the beneficial flavanols, making them difficult for the body to absorb. But a latte using coconut milk is awesome and yummy. The same problem arises with chocolate. Milk + chocolate = much much less benefit than chocolate alone, because of the milk protein problem.

Although it is expensive, I think that the long term benefits are definately worth it. I also drink Turmeric Milk every day. It helps you get a good night's sleep if you have a cup near bedtime.

hafalump

The Toyu Mukashi from O-cha is sweetish, round mouth feel, creamy. The high end matcha for tea ceremony will set you back financially, but you can drink good matcha every day at a reasonable price. Fresh is key. I can only imagine Costco matcha is industrial grade. If it is too bitter the water may be too hot. There should be a dance between astringentcy and sweetness. A whisk is key.

Dens is good also, in US les shipping cost https://www.denstea.com/matcha-c-122.html

The Kuicha is the super expensive ceremony tea, which is really just a part of a tea ceremony.

EverythingsHazy

I drink a ceremonial grade Matcha everyday. Sometimes several times a day. I find the ceremonial grade very smooth, never bitter, almost creamy even. I sift about a half of a measured teaspoon and whisk it with a bit of hot water in a bowl to get that frothy top. Although it is yummy latte style, dairy milk negates much of the benefits because milk proteins latch onto the beneficial flavanols, making them difficult for the body to absorb. But a latte using coconut milk is awesome and yummy. The same problem arises with chocolate. Milk + chocolate = much much less benefit than chocolate alone, because of the milk protein problem.

Although it is expensive, I think that the long term benefits are definately worth it. I also drink Turmeric Milk every day. It helps you get a good night's sleep if you have a cup near bedtime.
I agree about the taste. It’s nice, esp. once you’ve gotten used to it.

I have to do more research on dairy milk. Coconut milk and matcha sounds great.

I have to check the health effects, but a bit of cocoa powder in matcha tea tastes really nice. They go together perfectly.

I try to limit myself to 3 servings in a day, but usually 2. I’d have more, but I don’t drink it past 5pm because of caffeine and sleep, and I’m also not sure how much is too much. It’s very potent, so I’d hate to ruin a good thing by overdoing it. I’d like to have 2tsp a day, tho. I do 1 tsp sifted into a bowl, and add about 8-10 oz of water. Usually, I take a contrast shower (see vagus nerve thread), get dressed, make my matcha, and sip it while reading, or if I have to leave the house, I finish it quickly before heading to class/the gym, for an energy/clarity boost.

Squiby

I have to check the health effects, but a bit of cocoa powder in matcha tea tastes really nice. They go together perfectly.
I like to make a nice hot cocoa now and then with organic cocoa powder and a dollop of almond or coconut milk and a few drops of stevia.

I'm definitely going to try adding cocoa to a Matcha tea. I bet it will be a taste sensation! Thanks for the suggestion!

MinnBobber

I'm very into my two teas, black Kenyan and green Kenyan. I now have gone outside of Kenya too :)

Very interested in matcha and recently tried it from an indiv packet of the powder. At the same time I also tried heavier dose of chia seeds. Bad digestive/stomach effects! I need to go back and try individually to sort out what happened.

One clue was info I found that matcha can act like a "cleansing". But too much of a new seed can be taxing too.

@hafalump Is this a good one to try? I have some more indiv packets but assume they are much lower grade???
Matcha Usucha ($15.00)

Time to brew up a Milima, black Kenyan.
...........................................................................................
On a related cannabis note ;) In searching tea supplies, I found a great filter to use if you ever do your own medibles, like infused coconut oil.
T-Sacs are a hemp fiber filter sack (4 sizes) where you can infuse but keep out almost all of the nasty plant material. Not bleached, food grade product.

They probably will not work for squishing rosin though :(

MinnBobber,
Reactions: asdf420

EverythingsHazy

I like to make a nice hot cocoa now and then with organic cocoa powder and a dollop of almond or coconut milk and a few drops of stevia.

I'm definitely going to try adding cocoa to a Matcha tea. I bet it will be a taste sensation! Thanks for the suggestion!
The hot cocoa with coconut milk sounds really good.

Let me know how you like the matcha and cocoa powder. I got the idea from a little tin that my gf gave me about two years ago. It was a mixture of the two and was delicious. I have yet to try mixing the two powders myself, but I will be doing so, soon. I really enjoyed it.

I'm very into my two teas, black Kenyan and green Kenyan. I now have gone outside of Kenya too :)

Very interested in matcha and recently tried it from an indiv packet of the powder. At the same time I also tried heavier dose of chia seeds. Bad digestive/stomach effects! I need to go back and try individually to sort out what happened.

One clue was info I found that matcha can act like a "cleansing". But too much of a new seed can be taxing too.

@hafalump Is this a good one to try? I have some more indiv packets but assume they are much lower grade???
Matcha Usucha ($15.00)

Time to brew up a Milima, black Kenyan.
...........................................................................................
On a related cannabis note ;) In searching tea supplies, I found a great filter to use if you ever do your own medibles, like infused coconut oil.
T-Sacs are a hemp fiber filter sack (4 sizes) where you can infuse but keep out almost all of the nasty plant material. Not bleached, food grade product.

They probably will not work for squishing rosin though :(
I know that if I drink matcha on an empty stomach, I risk getting nauseous. . I get naseous pretty easily, though, and it's more like a sea sickness kind of feeling that I tend to get, rather than an uncomfortable stomach. I've heard about that happening with different teas, as well, though. That said, I often drink it before my breakfast, and I'm usually fine. Its just a risk if I go too long without eating, and the only thing I put in my stomach is tea.

Top Bottom