Marmite

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I just had some on a piece of buttered toast and it was quite magnificent.

It's a special and unique foodstuff, high in b vitamins, and quite worthy of it's own discussion.

I don't know if other nations eat this shit- I've got a feeling it's a British peculiarity. Aussies have something similar called Vegemite, but it tastes like mouldy arseholes. I can still eat it at a push, and kinda got used to it during my time in Oz, but would rather not; give me Marmite anyday.

Their long time marketing campaign is that you either love it or hate it, effective because it's so true- it really polarises the population. I love it. But I've got a feeling that the production process might not be too pleasant, but who knows....
marmiteg.jpg
lovemarmite.jpg
marmite1.jpg

454166495736af66eee2.jpg

So, my international friends, have you experienced this strange stuff? What did you think? Or do you have your own version, like Australia? And if you've never tried Marmite then go out and do so, and post back if it's added something to your life. Be warned though- only use a tiny little bit on your toast; it's powerful stuff and easy to overdose on.

WatTyler,

frogbmth

It's awesome stuff. Add it to baked beans with some cheese and heat them until it all melts together. You won't ever be able to eat beans again without it :lol:

frogbmth,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It sounds like a rodent and looks like engine grease to me, no idea what that would be. What is it made of and how does it taste?

OhTheAgony,

stroh

errl enthusiast
haha i have wanted to try vegemite since i was a child, but alas have never had the opportunity to do so. i have also heard of marmite before, but likewise have never tried it. perhaps one of these days i will be able to acquire a bottle.

stroh,

Purple-Days

I'm up for a try, we have Brits here (Arizona) , 'ell, we got ye' bridge... :lol:

Just joking, I bet I find some...

Purple-Days,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Ill ask my Brit friend, in fact I think she had some with her recently.

I *do* remember being introduced to vegemite from an Aussie once. We were camp counselors for a YMCA and to torture the kids sometimes, we would give them a vegemite dirty sanchez.

Good times.

AGBeer,
Another delicious product brought to you by the miracle of fermentation.. They used to get the yeast from the Bass brewery, even.

Wow, wiki lists 250ish calories of marmite as containing almost 40 grams of protein!

charliedontsurf,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
WatTyler said:
Be warned though- only use a tiny little bit on your toast; it's powerful stuff and easy to overdose on.

He's not kidding folks.

Personally, I absolutely loathe the stuff and wouldn't recommend it to an enemy even.
But if you're the adventurous type with food, go ahead and see if you like it, many do.

Just, be careful - and don't say you weren't warned if it makes you want to vomit!

Edit - These adverts, produced by the Marmite marketing department themselves, show what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzeOPTkod4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyIb6olr1uc

wilf789,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
Get some vegemite into ya!
A weird and wonderful iconic Australian spread, similar to marmite.
Although now owned by the Chinese I believe. I still enjoy it on my toast in the morning

psyshaman,

EtherLeak

LearningToFly
Vegemite is the shit! haha...I also love hearing crew from overseas saying how the first time they had it they put way to much on! :lol:

EtherLeak,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
charliedontsurf said:
Another delicious product brought to you by the miracle of fermentation.. They used to get the yeast from the Bass brewery, even.

Wow, wiki lists 250ish calories of marmite as containing almost 40 grams of protein!

Wow, I looked it up. It's true. They just seem to cook up the left overs from brewing, so not as horrific as I first imagined! They did these special editions, one made with Guiness yeast and another with the yeast of Marston's Bitter to commemorate England's cricket victory in the 2009 Ashes Test series (take that Vegemite!!!)
guinnessmarmite.jpg
marmitecricket.jpg

I haven't tried those, but I have tried this Xtra Old one, extra matured with a blend of 4 different yeast varieties. It's only for die hard fans though- it's super strong and much darker, if you can imagine such a thing. Black more than brown. Not for the faint of heart or constitution.
4432151718248a4c8b7a.jpg

wilf789 said:
Edit - These adverts, produced by the Marmite marketing department themselves, show what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFLHialhZ8c [longer version]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyIb6olr1uc
And wow, that first advert was actually pretty sexy! Until the punchline at least :lol: The way she looked at him before going to the kitchen....phew ..... lol it's been a while since I've recieved one of those looks from a sexy blonde. But they captured the awkwardness and the chap's smug satisfaction quite well too. Took me right back to the days of being single. :lol: A good advert.

I really appreciate clever advertising over some of the utter shite that agencies sometimes come up with. It seems to me there are two route to effective adverts- clever or annoying/intrusive. For a company to go down the annoying ad campaign route is a social ill and should be heavily taxed and discouraged. Clever and creative adverts that bring something to the world, instead of just invading your brain, should be more supported by society. Somehow. Unfortunately the traditional way of consumer behaviour does seem to reward the shite advertisments equally as well, or they wouldn't persist. I'm led to believe that the quality of TV advertisments in the US is even worse, not to mention the quantity (here we're only allowed an average of 7min/hour on commercial TV- so hour long imported US shows tend to run just 50 min). If I ever get to commission a TV commercial it will be something innovative and entertaining and that I will be proud of. Not a cynical mind rape.

WatTyler,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
WatTyler said:
They did these special editions, one made with Guiness yeast and another with the yeast of Marston's Bitter to commemorate England's cricket victory in the 2009 Ashes Test series (take that Vegemite!!!)

:D - Poor old Ponting, all that sledging didn't do you much good now eh mate?

Ricky-Ponting-Australia-c-001.jpg

WatTyler said:
For a company to go down the annoying ad campaign route is a social ill and should be heavily taxed and discouraged. Clever and creative adverts that bring something to the world, instead of just invading your brain, should be more supported by society. Somehow.

Very much agree Sir! I've often thought one of the only reasons I would ever get into politics/want to be Prime Minister for is to make it against the law/punishable by flogging to produce such utterly shite adverts. Go Compare is a prime example - I have to scramble for the mute button whenever it comes on. Having said that, these crap ones do allow the much better ones to stand out more.

Yep, it's not war, poverty, capital punishment, abortion, drug policy etc that would get me off my politically apathetic arse... it's terrible adverts - the one true evil in our society. :|

wilf789,
Top Bottom