Making your own bong

ou812?

Hello everyone, new to Vaporizers, scored me an Arizer Solo,love it and have been noticing those of you who use a water path.Back in the day I only knew of chemistry pieces some flasks,thistle tubes double hole stoppers and some glass tubing and WHOLA water pipe!.We then moved on to glass p-traps for hospital surgery room sinks and would really be able to load up with ice and have at it.

Well being that lab glass ware is available could it be conceivable to build a small water path from the likes of glass lab ware? I dont know what the glass stem measures on the Solo and was wondering where I mite get that info.I figure You could buy bubblers ,my brothers kid brought something home from a chemistry class project, some sort of distilling rig, but I saw components that could easily be used to produce a what I would think would be a decent water path thru the glass rig. Does anyone know what size adapters are needed for the stem or any other info that would be helpful in making one from suggested materials? Thank you

I checked into the glass section but it seems the nomenclature is beyond me, just an old combustion trooper and got sick big time but been well now and no bummers to speak of.
I apologize if the info was available, Im so new to Vaping and I read a lot on here but its difficult to learn it all in one day,and hope to learn here and in other circles, please forgive my FNG status.Im finding out a lot here ,will never claim to be an expert but I do hope to shed my FNG mark by experience and education. Thank you all for your help

mod note: Thread title changed to be descriptive.

ou812?,

clouded vision

if you are into DIY you could make a bong out of a liquor bottle that will work great with the stock solo stems. You need a 15mm soft glass down stem, 3/4" glass drill bit, 1/2" o-ring and 5/8 grommet, that is my solo stem in it. The mouthpiece end on the solo measures 1/2", hence the half inch o-ring
AjsMY7j.jpg

ou812?

SAAAAA-WEET, thats what I'm talking about!! nothing like DIY, especially when it works. I bet that bad boy cranks!! Thank you for the specs. Do you find that not much liquid is needed to smooth out higher temp vape?.I have been experimenting using heat levels 3 and 4 now and nothing above and just love the taste!.I wouldnt mind going over to a higher temp but I would have to cool it down a bit, when I 1st began, I was using #5 heat and was getting great flavor but I was getting a coughing reaction that was like no other spasm I have ever encountered, I mean eyes watered out, snot hanging from my beak, a coughing fit resembling a fug'n seizure!! I will say, after wards I was toast and body high was like a Tyson right hook, KNOCKED ME ON MY ASS!! Was wondering if it was due to a higher temp or a more concentrated amount that did my airbags in, maybe due to expanding vapor?? If so I will be using a water path and cooling it down a bit in the near future.As always thanks for the good advice and it should be fun producing a neat little unit like you have there.The vape is calling, been waiting a few hours for it to charge up and its a GO!! Next mission ,grab me a power unit.................Peace

ou812?,

clouded vision

it all depends what you are looking for, I can take a monster rip out of that thing with zero irritation but also very little flavor. I don't know if you can see but I have water to right below the grommet. with this I usually start at 5 and work to 7. when I want flavor though I either hit it dry or I have the infamous $40 bubbler. I refuse to hit dry or the small bubbler on 7 though, it's just too harsh so for those I start at 3 and finish at 5. most likely the harshness is from the hot dry air hitting the back of your throat. a good trick is to have the air path hit your tongue first so the air spreads out around it, this gives the added bonus of some incredibly strong flavor

clouded vision,

ou812?

BINGO I have been using the tongue trick and yes that works well, ya see thats a learning curve aspect!!
You say 40 dollar bubbler, got a link to one? .With the quality drill bits and the shapes and sizes of glass bottles today you can make some nice rigs.Curious to see what sells for a quick 40$ is it effective and can it be packed away with the solo in a case or is it a bit cumbersome?

Dude this is like i am 16 again and getting into smoking. It was such a discovered treasure when I 1st discovered herb and now with this cool little device its like Im starting all over again, Im stoked.

Saw a pretty expensive Vodka produced by Dan Aykroyd bottled in a cool looking skull, hmmmm, might have to find about that one too!

Avatar Husky looks like he indulges too!! great photo!!

ou812?,

clouded vision

I made one just like that for my buddy out of a Ka tequila bottle, same shape as Crystal head but black glass with a white hand painted tribal pattern

I think I'm actually going to his house later today so if I remember I'll post a picture later, either way I know I have a before pic I can post as soon as I get home from work

edit: here is the before
kS2USa9.jpg

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
If you're into DIY bongmaking, this is a good webiste to check out: 420armory.com

I've bought several things from him and have always been satisfied.

:peace:

Stu,

ou812?

Wow thanks to Tweek, JLB, CV!! nice work CV on those DIY rigs.. ,I rec'd my power adapter so now I no longer have to worry about running out of batt.power while I'm home.I notice ,might just be me, but it seems to run a little hotter on the plug,was on 5 and it tasted funky, almost combustion like, might be also that i was low on product, once again it might be me, but noticed if not loaded sufficiently (stem) it didnt taste as good and being I was at a higher heat range ,most likely it might have began to combust but any how, Tweek, the vid on the skull was awesome!! Riding Harleys, Skulls are always abundant on bikes and the maniacs I ride with would love that thing if I whipped it out from the saddle bag and started to vape thru it, they would shit!!,CV the one you made is as equally BAD ASS! and love the artwork of it .JLB, the site you mentioned for DIY rigs is awesome, will be ordering some parts there,thank you!! also VC props for the glass web site, good numbers there wow, let me ask you this... if and when you use a small glass adjunct to your solo does it remove a lot of the taste,if so BUMMER,love the taste of my herb thru this,I tried one of my favorite glass stems and broke into a piece of fresh bud and hit on it w/flame and at one point before vaping would have said sweet tasting but not this time...it tasted like ass compared to the Vape.If I will lose a lot of taste from lets say a small bubbler or ash catcher,then I would decline, but if a small water device doesnt remove a lot and hopefully takes a little bit of I guess heat or dryness that makes me cough ,then I'm game,Might be looking into the CLOUD,but there again,it seems that vapor doesn't hold on to flavor as much as combustible product thru a water path,is that true,does the CLOUD take away flavor too? is it due to less components in vape,and water strips what is left?? pulling straws but its still all good.You guys rock, in a few ,going out to twist the grip and enjoy a ride and some vape!! Life is good when you can vape ANYWHERE due to my portable SOLO.....:peace:

ou812?,
Reactions: Tweek

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
.If I will lose a lot of taste from lets say a small bubbler or ash catcher,then I would decline, but if a small water device doesnt remove a lot and hopefully takes a little bit of I guess heat or dryness that makes me cough ,then I'm game,

this is ultimately a personal preference thing. You may want to figure this out before you start dropping cash on glass drill bits (which are pricey) and buying the booze for the bottles. buying it for drinking is another matter :science:

I personally think water and particularly a lot of diffusion takes away from the taste and to a lesser extent the effect of the vapor, but this is just me. I actually prefer something like a j-hook that cools down the vapor a little without going through water. they are handy if you decide to get an ash catcher too.

if i use water it is the smallest amount that i can with just a simple downstem for less diffusion

that's just me, what others decide is their choice.

good luck

vaporonly,

clouded vision

It depends what you mean by improvement. water path will rob you of flavor but make it much smoother do you can take bigger hits. I like both ways and switch back and forth depending on my mood. You don't have to spend much or you can spend thousands depending on what you want. a lot of people like the pipesdaddy $40 bubbler, you could add a gong adapter for another $25. for less irritation and less flavor a lot of people like a little bigger piece like the SSFG travel tube

There are 2 important factors with water tools, volume and diffusion. more volume and more diffusion each mean less harsh but less flavor
easier to quote myself from the solo thread

FYI you can pick up the drill bit on ebay for around $6 or 8, can't remember. the bit isn't great and might only last for about 3 holes but that equals 3 bongs which is pretty cheap. yes going to home depot and getting it you will spend close to 30 but it will last

clouded vision,

ou812?

Posted in wrong spot
..... Any how I took the advice from many here when I wanted to know about a water path.So I went and found a simplistic,but effective and inexpensive (under 65$) bubbler.Nothing fancy but it works well for me.I wanted to cool it down a bit but was worried about losing flavor.No such animal, taste is still superb and its easy to draw and smooth.​
I found an A/C that was a bit different than the cookie cutter 12 arm, it was bell shaped and had a nice reservoir for a bit more fluid than the average one,hooked it to a J-hook.The SOLO stem fits like a glove with an o-ring to secure a better seal .I was like a crack head yesterday after putting it together, I COULDNT STOP HITTING IT!!!,made my experience sooo much better.The SOLO serves 2 purposes home and portable.With the water path,im having a hard time leaving the house,LOL,time to put together a nice padded case for it all,for when I travel heres what it looks like​
JKRhzeF.jpg

ou812?,

Richy

Frequently up in space with Bowie
I wish I was a bit more handy at building stuff because I'd love to have something like Adam Savage made on Tested to hold his "Blade Runner Blaster".

Just skip to the last few minutes to see it in it's full glory if you can't be bothered to watch to whole thing or if you're not interested in the building process.

Imagine turning up to a mate's house being able to display your finest glass and vape while still having a handy draw to keep all your bits n' bobs. I'm pretty sure I don't have his attention to detail and I'm definitely no way near as skillful.

Richy,

Richy

Frequently up in space with Bowie
I was thinking that I'd probably go the old flight case and foam method as well, it's simple and it's worked for years with all sorts of sensitive equipment. Millions of people can't be wrong. I just thought I'd share my "dream solution".

Richy,
Top Bottom