Making potent Baked goods.

dtp3347

Hey there FC. I am looking to make a batch of either brownies or cookies that will knock us on our asses on 4/20 and was looking into methods of strengthening the butter mix/ removing the plant matter efficiently as to preserve the natural flavor of the baked good.

I am planning on using ~ 1oz of mids for one batch (most likely cookies)

The options that ive seen so far consist of

1. grinding up and Decarbing the bud in an oven bag prior to extraction
2. this is where there are too many options. I could either :
- transfer the bud straight to cannabutter
- create a tincture with some PGA > cook into cannabutter (could use less butter? more potent?)
- QWISO the whole ounce and then mix the resulting hash oil/kief into cannabutter?
3. Obviously at this point I am just going to bake it

I have searched through a ton of threads to get to this point and I would love to hear you guys' experiences with similar extraction methods!!

Also if you know any PROVEN recipies for very potent cannabutter share those aswell!

dtp3347,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Here is my recipe for very proven, extremely potent cannabutter:

4 oz. high quality ground trim (inner and fan leaves) -- Decarboxylation prior to making the butter is not necessary, as it occurs during the butter simmering process.
1 lb. unsalted butter.
Enough water (The water catches everything besides the trichomes, which are not water soluble). I put quite a bit of water in so that I don't have to add any more during the process.

Put the water in a pot with the butter until the butter is melted.
Add the ground trim and simmer for 3.5 hours. You don't want the mixture to boil too much, so I put it on a small burner, so it is just at a simmer. I don't know the exact amount of time necessary for this, but I spoke to a friend of mine who is studying chemistry at Berkeley, and he seems to think 3.5 hours is a good amount of time. So, I have stuck with this and had outstanding results.

Strain the cannabutter/water mixture into a plastic container with an old T-shirt and a potato ricer, or just by hand. The cannabutter and water will separate.
The butter should reduce by about 50%, leaving you with 1/2 lb.
Place the cannabutter/water combination in the fridge until the butter hardens. Scrape the sides with a knife to release the cannabutter and then scrape the nasty shit from the water off the bottom of the cannabutter and rinse slightly with fresh cold water.

The brownie recipe I use calls for 1/2 lb. of cannabutter, so this recipe works out perfectly. So, my batch of brownies have cannabutter made with 4 oz. of trim in each batch.

I usually eat about 1/2 of a 1" square and am sky high. These brownies are strong!

I will be happy to share my brownie recipe as well; just ask.

Nuphile,

dtp3347

So with that recipe do you think I would be good with 1oz of bud to 1/2 lb of butter? Also wouldn't the butter being reduced to 1/2 its original volume mean that some of the butter boiled off during the cooking process? (I was under the impression that this is bad). EDIT : maybe its the water in the butter itself evaporating?

That sounds like it would be pretty strong though. The amount of simmering time for cannabutter is another thing that seems to vary a LOT from recipe to recipe and I have always been curious as to the optimal time if anyone has specific input on that matter.

dtp3347,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
I would imagine that the best way to do this could possibly be using ISO extraction. I haven't cooked much, but when you extract with ISO you can be certain your getting all of the psychoactive chemicals out of the plant matter, since you wont be smoking it, excess chlorophyl wont matter at all in regards to taste, so you could do a longer extraction process. The only problem is, Im not sure how well hash is digested, and you would NEED to make sure you mixed it very well, it's possible this could be a bad idea as with butter your spreading less concentrated thc over a larger area, what if a clump of the hash stuck to the bowl, you could be losing a lot of your thc. I know i just contradicted myself but I would take it into consideration. As far as the butter boiling it would be the water evaporating not the butter.

hope this helps in some way

PhishCactus,
high everybody!? If you want to reclaim more butter have another pot of water simmering and place the strained and squeezed material ( like green hockey pucks if you use a ricer!) stir it around to liberate more butter from the plant material then strain again. Doesnt yield heaps but every bit helps. once the butter is solid i wash it 3 times by melting it and mixing with clean water, simmer, solidify repeat.makes for reasonably neutral flavoured butter For a real potent cake i like to melt keif in rum then add that- it decarbs during baking . Have fun! Peace

thevapedcrusader,

lepstadder

I use 2oz of trim or ABV per stick

makes it MEGA powerfull

I read a post somewhere of GOD BUTTER or something like that where they used 4oz of high grade BUDS only to 1 stick of butter

Sure grind it but no reason to Decarb as cooking the butter will do that for you

Then just stick to butter

Make sure that you use a fine cheescloth to squeeze the shit out of the plant matter after you make the butter to get as much butter out of it as possible

lepstadder,

Tuck

When you are doing an extraction, you will leave some behind. It's just a nature of the beast. Also there is some water in butter that you are separating out when you use that method of cannabutter. Although, when I make butter I don't lose half of my butter. I use a potato ricer to squeeze as much as I can out. You could also use a french press.

Next time I will do what thevapedcrusader suggests and simmer the strained herb one more time. What I have done in the past though is take the strained herb and put it in a teaball. Then I boil some water and make tea with the teaball and a bag of tea. I'll then add milk to the hot weed tea. kind of a chef's treat for the night, since I always make my butter the day before I plan to bake, so I can let the water and butter separate overnight.

As for potency, personally, your dosage will most likely be determined by your finished product. with 1 oz, if you make 30 cookies then you can figure it will be about 1g per cookie. If you make 60 cookies then figure for about .5g per cookie, etc.

Be careful! It's really easy to bite off more than you can chew with edibles.

Tuck,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
dtp3347 said:
Also wouldn't the butter being reduced to 1/2 its original volume mean that some of the butter boiled off during the cooking process

Well, the butter will lose some volume b/c the cream is now free of water.
I put a closed lid on the pot when I cook the butter, so I don't really think any is escaping. I think it may just be the loss of water, but I don't know for sure.
The first time I cooked cannabutter, I did so for over 20 hours, because I read that it was worth it. The butter reduced by about half that time as well. I have also done it for 3.5 hours and about 6 hours, and the butter also reduces by about half.
I will say that I have noticed zero difference in the potency of the butter when I simmered it for 6 hours and for 3.5 hours. However, the butter was slightly stronger when I cooked it for over 20 hours. But, I don't think it was really worth the extra time and electricity.

Nuphile,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
thevapedcrusader said:
If you want to reclaim more butter have another pot of water simmering and place the strained and squeezed material ( like green hockey pucks if you use a ricer!) stir it around to liberate more butter from the plant material then strain again.

Great idea! I will have to do this next time.

Nuphile,

dtp3347

Nuphile said:
I will say that I have noticed zero difference in the potency of the butter when I simmered it for 6 hours and for 3.5 hours. However, the butter was slightly stronger when I cooked it for over 20 hours. But, I don't think it was really worth the extra time and electricity.

This is exactly what I am looking for! I appreciate the insight

Anyone else making some strong edibles for 420?

dtp3347,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I like doing it in the slow cooker. So far I have been just leaving it overnight, but haven't been sure that's entirely necessary.

The butter + water lets you make it as strong as you want though. I plan on halving the butter to ABV ration in my next batch. I keep reformulating it stronger to get better results, course I have a fairly high tolerance.

rabblerouser,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i do an extraction by using a mason jar, with water and butter in it, and a crockpot.
close the mason jar tight, and use a high setting. after a few hours use a turkey baster to remove the layer of oil, there still will be some flavor, and smell, but much less than usual.
make sure to wrap the bud in cheesecloth, and to agitate it halfway through, by weighing the sack down so it stays on the bottom of the jar(glass beads).

OO,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
rabblerouser said:
The butter + water lets you make it as strong as you want though.

I had been sticking to the 1 oz/stick ratio and had great results. I had been thinking about upping the cannabis, but was not sure what the saturation point with the butter would be. I am sure there is one, but it looks like I have a long way to go to reach it. I think I may try 6 or 8 oz./ stick next time just for the hell of it.
Thanks for this information.

Nuphile,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Question about the slow cooker process:
I had been thinking about using my crock pot for cannabutter, but thought it would get too hot, even on the 'low' setting. Does your mixture ever boil when you use this method?
I had heard some crock pots have a 'keep warm' setting, which is useful for tinctures. Do you guys have crock pots with this setting, or is 'low' fine?

Nuphile,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
dtp3347 said:
Anyone else making some strong edibles for 420?

So far, I have only made brownies, and stuck with them b/c they have turned out awesome.
But, I have been thinking about doing some caramels. Anyone ever made these with cannabutter?

Nuphile,

Tuck

Bringing this back around to the idea of potent baked goods, if you had 4 oz, would you be better off doing 4 oz in 1 lb of butter or dividing it up into 1oz batches and put it in a single stick of butter and reuse the butter each time (perhaps topping the butter off with any loss of weight).

I ask because I have a batch of (honey) cannabutter that I made recently from a honey tincture I wasn't happy with. I have accumulated more abv and I'm wondering if I can increase the potency or I should just use it with fresth butter. Deep in the Cannaoil thread it was mentioned you could increase the potency of oil doing this but they were also discussing using the leaching method which doesn't use heat.

Can butter get oversaturated?

Tuck,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Nuphile, i find my slow cooker to heat unevenly and it's low & keep warm are too low and high is too high. I gave up on it for this purpose, at least since i've started using goobutter (TM). I do have a mini one that i use for warming solvents for tinctures. The next time I do cannabutter proper, I will probably do a stovetop rigged up double boiler. I may even play with the settings on the dehydrator to see if I can get it hot enough to do the trick. LOL "Just set it and forget it"

Tuck, if you have the material, i think infusing the same butter with fresh material would work. It works with any other solvent medium, i see no problem with butter. I am curious as to just how much magic a single stick of butter can hold though.

I have no clue how you could even tell if it had reached the saturation point. LOL, I remember Mr. Wizard talking about a super saturated sugar solution and the fact that no more would dissolve in the water once it had reached that point. Would the butter extract the goodies but then leave them suspended in solution or would it just stop extracting altogether? And how could you even tell if the material was spent?

:science:

herbgirl,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Herbgirl, thanks for the slow cooker insight. I will just stick to the stove top method, but I like to use water with the butter to get all the chlorophyll and other stuff out.

As far as the saturation point goes, if using the butter/water method, this would depend on the trichome count in the cannabis b/c, for the most part, the butter is only collecting the trichomes. I think I may just stick to 1 oz. per 1/4 lb. of butter. I have had great results, and maybe shouldn't push it.

Nuphile,

Tuck

I have taken to using my oven. I set it for 220F and put some water and butter in a covered baking dish. Once the butter melts, I add my abv, put it back in the oven and just leave it alone.

Tuck,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
I bake with abv and Reggie... Always turns out great.
Best goods I ever baked were a double batch of cookies... Pound of butter, oz of regular, made canna butter on the stove with water mixed in... Let separate over night... Made almost 50 cookies and 1 had most people good... Eating 2 or 3 resulted in overwhelming exhaustion and napping.

Save your good buds for vaping, my 2 cents.

wake n blake,

dtp3347

So I ended up making a batch of cookies with the butter and they are killer! Made 12 very large cookies with roughly 35g of Mids. My roommates and I ended up eating one a piece and got way too high. I ate 1 1/2 cookies because I didn't feel anything after ~2 hours and i ended up getting the worst spins ive ever had. 1 cookie is about the perfect dose to send anyone with even a high tolerance into space. Will post pics later

dtp3347,
dtp3347 said:
So I ended up making a batch of cookies with the butter and they are killer! Made 12 very large cookies with roughly 35g of Mids. My roommates and I ended up eating one a piece and got way too high. I ate 1 1/2 cookies because I didn't feel anything after ~2 hours and i ended up getting the worst spins ive ever had. 1 cookie is about the perfect dose to send anyone with even a high tolerance into space. Will post pics later

~3g's / cookie holy shit! That better send you to the moon and back.

Hardlinemonk,
Top Bottom