MAH

Bazinga

I am going to order additional 18650 batteries. I think I finally have some some understanding of discharge rate requirements, so my question is about MAH. Some of my devices, the 510 mods, calls for 2,650 mah while the IQ2 requires 3,500 mah and the TM falling somewhere in between. Forgetting cost differences, is it permissible to use a 3,500 mah battery in a device that could operate with less MAH?

Chainfish

I believe you may have wrong idea. Mah is about milli amp hours, how much capacity the batter has, how much petrol in the tank so to speak. Generally devices require batteries to have a certain amp rating, how much power it can push out safely. eg. a samsung 30q is roughly 3000mah and has amp rating of about 16amp. i think u need to look at continuos amp rating of battery required.

Easywider

Simple is the way
This sums Mah up nicely - You really can't go wrong with the Sony | Murata VTC6, VTC5D

badbee

I am going to order additional 18650 batteries. I think I finally have some some understanding of discharge rate requirements, so my question is about MAH. Some of my devices, the 510 mods, calls for 2,650 mah while the IQ2 requires 3,500 mah and the TM falling somewhere in between. Forgetting cost differences, is it permissible to use a 3,500 mah battery in a device that could operate with less MAH?
As others have said, there is no such thing as a device "requiring" a certain mAh of capacity. They require support of a certain max amperage from a cell and bad things happen if you don't account for that. The manufacturer may be suggesting a certain mAh as convenient, but it isn't a requirement necessary for safety or functionality.

Bazinga

Thanks everyone. If I understand the replies - there are no issues with using a 3,500 mah battery in my 510 mod, or any of my battery powered vaporizers. It will make my life a little easier to able to use the higher rated batteries for all my devices rather than cherry pick through the 18650s.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
If I understand the replies - there are no issues with using a 3,500 mah battery in my 510 mod, or any of my battery powered vaporizers.

Well, actually... you own the Tinymight, which requires a cell with at least 20A discharge rate. I don't think I've seen 18650s with 3500mAh and a 20A discharge rate. Just saying.

Bazinga

Siebter - I believe you are correct. For the IQ2 I bought the Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A Battery. So what exactly would happen if I used this battery (10A) with the Tinymight?

Bazinga,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah that is not good, too low, at best it won't work, at worst it could damage something? I would not bother...

Also Samsung 30Q are actually 18A even though they are rated 15A, while LG HG2 are 18a even though they are rated 20A... I use LG HG2 in my TM rotated with the green Sony it came with, no problems at all!

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@Bazinga – As mentioned by @Shit Snacks, it just won't work / heat up properly and there is in fact a risk of damaging the cells by overstressing them. The IQ will need a constant flow of power to keep the oven at temp for a certain time, while the TM will need much more power in a shorter time – a high discharge cell like the VTC6 or HG2 will work fine in the IQ, but a low discharge cell like the Sanyo will not work in the TM or likewise devices. Usually higher maximum discharge rates come at the cost of lower mAh and vice versa, with the VTC6 and the HG2 (and one or two others I believe) offering the best discharge rate / mAh ratio nowadays.

Edit: I've seen some reports on reddit about the VTC6 being used in the IQ resulting in the device not getting as hot as it sometimes does, so maybe going for the VTC6 is a safe bet anyway?

Last edited:
Top Bottom