lung worries

fuby

Hello,

I think most of you will know what i mean with the sticky residue that stays behind in parts of your vaporizer of choice. For most models this is easy to clean. I keep worrying myself that perhaps i inhale some of that sticky residue and get a build up in my lungs.

I would like to read up on that If there is any data on it. I just don't know what to search for.
Any opinions?

Have a nice day

fuby,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I would be more surprised if you didn't have any of that on lungs.

Vaporizing is harm reduction, no evidence that it is harmless.

Edibles are an option.

invertedisdead,

ginolicious

Curious as to why you are worried?

Back in 2013 I suffered a collapsed lung for no reason. That’s what brought me to this board. Vaping hasn’t caused me any issues since then. Some bowls I do real hot and my chest gets a bit tight and irritated. But I’ve never had any issues. And I’m a hypochondriac

ginolicious,
Reactions: dave123

Deleted Member 1643

There doesn't appear to be a lot out there, but these are just the first searches that came to mind.

PubMed for "cannabis" + "deposition". You might find a couple of the articles interesting, but nothing directly relevant. For example, one shows that smoking joints with higher concentrations of THC produced less tar.

"Cannabis" + "clearance" + "lung" returned this free, 2016 article:

Impact of Cannabis, Cannabinoids, and Endocannabinoids in the Lungs

Since the identification of cannabinoid receptors in the 1990s, a research field has been dedicated to exploring the role of the cannabinoid system in immunity and the inflammatory response in human tissues and animal models. Although the cannabinoid system is present and crucial in many human tissues, studying the impact of cannabinoids on the lungs is particularly relevant because of their contact with exogenous cannabinoids in the context of marijuana consumption. In the past two decades, the scientific community has gathered a large body of evidence supporting that the activation of the cannabinoid system alleviates pain and reduces inflammation. In the context of lung inflammation, exogenous and endogenous cannabinoids have shown therapeutic potential because of their inhibitory effects on immune cell recruitment and functions. On the other hand, cannabinoids were shown to be deleterious to lung function and to impact respiratory pathogen clearance. In this review, we present the existing data on the regulation of lung immunity and inflammation by phytocannabinoids, synthetic cannabinoids and endocannabinoids.

Last edited:

asdf420

Noteworthy, the administration of cannabinoids in these protocols was never in the form of cannabis smoking, but rather as the direct administration of cannabinoids. These studies all point to the conclusion that the administration of plant-derived or synthetic cannabinoids impairs pathogen clearance and in certain cases, increases mortality. Of note, one study used cannabinoid receptor-deficient mice in their model of influenza infection, underscoring the involvement of cannabinoid receptors in the detrimental effects of Δ9-THC on lung immunity (Karmaus et al., 2011).
And it was supposed to be anti-bacterial. Guess it's more anti-inflammatory.

asdf420,

hinglemccringleberry

I'm no medical expert, but I would think that when you vape cannabis period, you sign your rights away to 'untainted' lungs that don't receive film. If you think of the vapor path as not just the device, but the connection of your lungs to the device, then you know that any surface that highly concentrated vapor inside a chamber comes into contact with will get saturated to some extent. No film, no vapor. I'm more concerned with flower particulates, and the amount produced seems to vary from vape to vape. I have a vape that only deposits particulates in the tunnel but it tapers down to almost nothing by the time it reaches the mouthpiece, but my 2 butane powered vapes produce a persistent path of particulates all the way out of the device, so I run cotton filters in those.

Last edited:

Squiby

I'm more concerned with flower particulates, and the amount produced seems to vary from vape to vape. I have a vape that only deposits particulates in the tunnel but it tapers down to almost nothing by the time it reaches the mouthpiece, but my 2 butane powered vapes produce a persistent path of particulates all the way out of the device, so I run cotton filters in those.
My go to vapes are the Vapcaps by Dynavap. I make a filter from degummed hemp fiber and I place it between two screens. The result is a very smooth non-irritating vapor. The filter catches any tiny particulates that could otherwise make their way through the airport and into my lungs. The side benefit of using a filter is that the vaporizer airpath stays very clean for a long long time.I

This is how I fashion a filter.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-295#post-1034430

Squiby

@Squiby how do you place the screens ?

in a ti tip ?

I mostly use the ti tips but have used this technique with the earlier tips without interior ridges and the SS tips.

I place a CCD screen at the bottom of the herb chamber. Then I place the rolled up disk shaped filter in the chamber and place another CCD screen on top. If you have a gen 4 or later ti tip, you can lock the screens into the bottom and middle ridges. This lets the filter float loosely between the screens and does not restrict the draw. If you are using a older gen ti tip or a SS M tip you just try to gently place the second CCD in place without squishing the filter right between the screens, because it will restrict the airflow. If the screen is loose you might need a c-clip from the earlier models to lock the screens at your desired depth.

George probably still has c-clips around if you ask nice...

I highly recommend degummed hemp fiber to filter your vapor.

little maggie

i use a double screen method with any vape i use and sometimes hemp fiber. I also have COPD totally unrelated to vaping but i stop vaping when i have difficulty.

fuby

I would be more surprised if you didn't have any of that on lungs.

Vaporizing is harm reduction, no evidence that it is harmless.

Edibles are an option.

I like the first hour until the peek is wearing off. After that i keep re dosing when needed. I cant do that with edibles sadly. Thanks for the tip though

There doesn't appear to be a lot out there, but these are just the first searches that came to mind.

PubMed for "cannabis" + "deposition". You might find a couple of the articles interesting, but nothing directly relevant. For example, one shows that smoking joints with higher concentrations of THC produced less tar.

"Cannabis" + "clearance" + "lung" returned this free, 2016 article:

Impact of Cannabis, Cannabinoids, and Endocannabinoids in the Lungs

Much appreciated!

fuby,

C No Ego

Hello,

I think most of you will know what i mean with the sticky residue that stays behind in parts of your vaporizer of choice. For most models this is easy to clean. I keep worrying myself that perhaps i inhale some of that sticky residue and get a build up in my lungs.

I would like to read up on that If there is any data on it. I just don't know what to search for.
Any opinions?

Have a nice day
It's lipids mostly, that sticky substance... and the phytocannabinoids in that lipid aid metabolism in our endocannabinoid system... the vape or devise with stuck vape resin is not metabolizing it etc like we do... THC for example has a 5 second half life and is bio-degraded at that point. the sticky is the medicine... in fact look up " Shona Bonda method glass dome vaporizer " https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Shona+Bonda+method+glass+dome+vaporizer&t=ffcm&atb=v62-6__&ia=web

the oil is collected on the glass to be later scraped off with a rubber spatula and is activated..

look up to " super potentiated RSO oil " http://phoenixtears.ca/super-oils/

I recently watched mainstream "" marijuana "" news where the lady said THC- it is a sticky substance and does not metabolize / toxic etc.... and she was running some panel LOL man! no mention anywhere of cannabinoids or endocannabinoid system http://www.beyondthc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/eCBSystemLee.pdf

fuby

It's lipids mostly, that sticky substance... and the phytocannabinoids in that lipid aid metabolism in our endocannabinoid system... the vape or devise with stuck vape resin is not metabolizing it etc like we do... THC for example has a 5 second half life and is bio-degraded at that point. the sticky is the medicine... in fact look up " Shona Bonda method glass dome vaporizer " https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Shona+Bonda+method+glass+dome+vaporizer&t=ffcm&atb=v62-6__&ia=web

the oil is collected on the glass to be later scraped off with a rubber spatula and is activated..

look up to " super potentiated RSO oil " http://phoenixtears.ca/super-oils/

I recently watched mainstream "" marijuana "" news where the lady said THC- it is a sticky substance and does not metabolize / toxic etc.... and she was running some panel LOL man! no mention anywhere of cannabinoids or endocannabinoid system http://www.beyondthc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/eCBSystemLee.pdf

Thanks. That was a great read. Kudos for using duckduckgo!

lazylathe

Almost there...
@fuby

As far as I know, vaporizing does not kill off the cilia in your lungs like smoking cigarettes does.
This means you keep the tar in your lungs as a smoker.
Vaporizing and smoking cannabis only paralyzes them for a short time and then they get back to work clearing the sticky stuff from your lungs.

lazylathe,
Reactions: C No Ego

Deleted Member 1643

As far as I know, vaporizing does not kill off the cilia in your lungs like smoking cigarettes does.

The article cited above reviews immunological aspects of pathogen clearance. Its conclusions are troubling enough, but there's more to mucociliary clearance.

From Wikipedia:

Important for good mucociliary clearance are the number of cilia, their structure, activity, and coordinated movement. Optimum functionality of mucociliary clearance presupposes a temperature of 37.0 °C (98.6 °F) and an absolute humidity of 44 mg/dm³ corresponding to a relative humidity of 100%. Under the condition of insufficient temperature and humidity, after a short time the ciliary cells suspend their transport function. Under such circumstances, bacterial germinal colonization is facilitated. Pulmonary infections and damaging of the pulmonic tissues may be the consequence.

High humidity enhances the functionality of the mucociliary clearance. Two methods of supporting mucociliary clearance are the active and the passive respiratory gas humidification, which in particular are applied in mechanical ventilation.

In addition to being alive, the cilia need to be just the right length, and the fluid layer covering them just the right depth, to allow their rhythmic beating to move the mucous layer above and any particulates stuck in it upward. Regulation is especially complex, so there's ample opportunity to adversely affect the process at multiple steps and pathways.

Couldn't find any articles on this with regard to cannabis, but it might not have been studied.

Top Bottom