• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Long-term Vaping

MisterChew

BC Bud Baby!
I've been vaping almost everyday for the last 7 months using the Arizer Solo. I do about 3 "bowls" per night before I sleep. Recently, there's been some studies which suggest that long-term marijuana consumption leads to memory loss and lowered sperm quality. These are some of the issues I am worried about, but there may be others health concerns as well. I love vaping as it allows me to sleep better, lowers my stress, and helps me lose weight. My appetite isn't really there anymore, unless I'm high.

It would be great if I can hear some experiences from other long-term users on this board.

TIA!

biohacker

Oh boy, you're opening the can of worms here greatly, and thus I suggest you PM me ;)

If you want to go into extremes, check out www.cannabisrehab.org. I can attest that it's not only combusters either, when you vape you are getting a shit tonne of exogenous cannabinoids into your system, and if you do it frequently enough, you will downregulate many processes in the brain/body. Do your own research, this is NOT the best place for it as it's a PRO-weed forum, and many refuse to correlate with any negative health effects. With vaping, and any drug (it IS a drug), the poison is in the dose. If your appetite isn't there unless you are high, you are going down a slippery slope.

I will always have weed/vaping in my life, but after 10 years of doing this, I have suffered dearly, and have had to restructure my life and relationship with the plant. I would love to chat with you in private via PM if you like, and share my experiences. But just note, even though vaping makes me relaxed and horny, I definitely have experienced negative effects in that department. I'm constantly testing/experimenting on myself, and sharing experiences on other forums. Just the fact that you are asking is a really good thing! Welcome to FC my canuck brother!:wave:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
long-term marijuana consumption leads to memory loss

Actually, I believe that long time cannabis use leads to better short-term to long-term memory conversion. I've found my ability to retain even tiny unimportant details about an event which happened years ago has increased dramatically since I started medicating (didn't smoke my first joint until I was 22 years old).

Also remember, 95%* of all research money is spent studying the NEGATIVE effects of cannabis. Very little money is spent researching the medical benefits of this wonderful plant. (* Might be less than 95%, I can't find my original source which did a study over the past 30 years on all grant money and came up with an exact percentage)

Last edited by a moderator:

lwien

Any study I have found has stated short term loss, and very little at that, long term seems not effected.

Studies ARE showing actual physical changes in the form of lower frontal brain mass along with lower IQ's in those who begin their marijuana use followed by heavy daily use at a young age while the brain is still developing. No such findings, however, occur in those that begin their use later in life after their brains have fully developed.

There is also a 12% addiction rate, however, that is MUCH lower than just about any other drug out there including alcohol.

May take on this is this.

One.............do not start using MJ or for that matter, ANY mind altering substance at a very young age.
Two.............as with just about EVERYTHING else, moderation is key.

Is their a risk in using MJ? Sure there is. One just has to weigh their personal risk/reward ratio and they can moderate that ratio with moderate use.

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
studies which suggest that long-term marijuana consumption leads to memory loss and lowered sperm quality.

TIA!

Count me in as a happy customer for 40 years now. And I rarely took breaks. I had two happy, healthy children after a decade of steady use. I don't make it a habit of counting my sperm so I can't report there. I'm still horny as heck if that counts. My memory continues to be in excellent condition BUT if memory is like a muscle then making my living based on memory and complex solutions may have helped. Also as lwein mentioned my brain may have been fully developed when I began using MJ... even though my maturity wasn't :rolleyes:

Your results may vary...

max

Out to lunch
I will always have weed/vaping in my life, but after 10 years of doing this, I have suffered dearly, and have had to restructure my life and relationship with the plant. I would love to chat with you in private via PM if you like, and share my experiences. But just note, even though vaping makes me relaxed and horny, I definitely have experienced negative effects in that department.
There's no doubt that short term memory is affected, as with smoking, but to offer a different perspective after the same 10 year vaping period, I've had no negative issues. In fact, vaping has allowed me to continue to use cannabis, since my lungs had had enough with smoking by the time I discovered vaporizing.

As for reproductive issues, I've seen reports that cannabis use can lower sperm count, but I've never heard anything concerning "quality".

GR

I have lost more memory ability from smart phones and gps. I used to have to remember phone numbers, names, addresses, streets, directions. Now I have all of that on smart devices and can focus on brain games to excercise my mind instead of doing it with daily activities. Lmao

Last edited:

biohacker

There's no doubt that short term memory is affected, as with smoking, but to offer a different perspective after the same 10 year vaping period, I've had no negative issues. In fact, vaping has allowed me to continue to use cannabis, since my lungs had had enough with smoking by the time I discovered vaporizing.

As for reproductive issues, I've seen reports that cannabis use can lower sperm count, but I've never heard anything concerning "quality".

It's pointless to even compare, since there are so many factors at play here. I'm sure your use was alot more responsible than mine over the past decade. Amount, frequency, temperature, breaks, individual body chemistry, etc. All I can say is that alot of the negative issues i've experienced are quickly subsiding, and i've only abstained for a few weeks now.

You can say that long term drinking can have negative effects, as it can, but it also doesn't have to.

biohacker,
Reactions: Radio

lwien

btw, I mentioned in my post above that the biggest negatives of MJ use occurs when use begins when the brain is not fully developed and the brain is not fully developed until about the age of 25. Just a bit of food for thought (pardon the play on words....).

And please, no anecdotal evidence that you know someone that started smoking MJ at 13 and is now graduating MIT, 'cause in the whole scheme of things, that doesn't mean diddly squat simply because there are exception to just about everything. Case in point. I didn't start smoking weed until I was 26 and I can't remember what in the hell I had for breakfast yesterday. :\

lwien

That's not the weed, that's old age. ;)

UEEk7eB.jpg

OATMEAL ? :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot. Thanks......... :tup:

crimsondeath

lurkety lurk
there's been some studies which suggest that long-term marijuana consumption leads to memory loss

While I would generally agree there, there's also this:
http://hscweb3.hsc.usf.edu/blog/201...zheimers-disease-usf-preclinical-study-finds/

But basically,
With vaping, and any drug (it IS a drug), the poison is in the dose.
When it comes to most medicinal substances of any kind it is important to remember that everything has a cost to your body not just your pocketbook.
Is their a risk in using MJ? Sure there is. One just has to weigh their personal risk/reward ratio and they can moderate that ratio with moderate use.
This ^^. The poison is in the dose and in who's taking it and their reasons, IMO. (Which, ok, that isn't what you - the OP - asked, but hey) :freak:

Last edited:

MinnBobber

btw, I mentioned in my post above that the biggest negatives of MJ use occurs when use begins when the brain is not fully developed and the brain is not fully developed until about the age of 25. Just a bit of food for thought (pardon the play on words....).
:\

X2 All the unbiased research seems to show a negative impact if started before age 25.

But, after that point there may or may not be negative impact from reasonable and responsible vaping of cannabis. It could end up being 99% positive as other research show cannabis use helps ward off a multitude of maladies and helps get rid of or minimize a whole host of conditions from Alzheimers to wide ranging pain and inflammation diseases.
It appears to be the most "universal" medicine of all time.

herbivore21

I've been vaping almost everyday for the last 7 months using the Arizer Solo. I do about 3 "bowls" per night before I sleep. Recently, there's been some studies which suggest that long-term marijuana consumption leads to memory loss and lowered sperm quality. These are some of the issues I am worried about, but there may be others health concerns as well. I love vaping as it allows me to sleep better, lowers my stress, and helps me lose weight. My appetite isn't really there anymore, unless I'm high.

It would be great if I can hear some experiences from other long-term users on this board.

TIA!
As I was taught during my undergrad years - context is everything!

These studies have largely been conducted using participants who combust cannabis. Depending on where the study took place, it may also have only been conducted (or largely been conducted) using participants who combust cannabis mixed with tobacco.

What you will not find is a huge wealth of literature on the benefits or drawbacks of vaping cannabis. Even then we really need to consider the effects of different vaporizers at this stage, as all vapes were not created equal either in materials or efficacy as a cannabinoid delivery device!

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

The following came from crimsondeath's link.....
Dr. Cao’s laboratory at the Byrd Alzheimer’s Institute is currently investigating the effects of a drug cocktail that includes THC, caffeine as well as other natural compounds in a cellular model of Alzheimer’s disease, and will advance to a genetically-engineered mouse model of Alzheimer’s shortly.

YAY!!!! My favorite two drugs are MJ and caffeine ... I hope vodka and cranberry are the other compounds ... Not that I need an excuse :D

btw, I mentioned in my post above that the biggest negatives of MJ use occurs when use begins when the brain is not fully developed and the brain is not fully developed until about the age of 25.

lwien - Darn! I started at 16...so much for making the cut....on the upside I still remember what I had for breakfast.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Since I didn't start using cannabis until I was... 52 years old, I can recall, more clearly now, how my memory has been before & after.

I'm better at names, dates, and details than I have EVER been in my life. Particularly names. I have so much less brain fog now than I did when I was in my 30s!

Anecdotal, though... and, I'm usually the exception when people starting throwing out, "usually..."

YMMV

biohacker

TIA!

Just wanted to add, maybe try taking a break from it for a few weeks and see how it goes. See if your appetite comes back? I know it used to help me sleep better, but without it i'm completely fucked. It can take several months up to a year or longer to heal the brain from long term usage, including vaping. If you can sleep fine without it, consider yourself really lucky. I'm lucky to even get 3-4 hours/night these days, and it's taken me a couple of months to be able to get more than 5 hours.

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
I used marijuana every day from age 12-40. I quit cold turkey for 4 years at age 40. I had a stroke from out of no where. A physician in the hospital asked me if I used marijuana. I told him I did, but had quit 4 years before. He shook his head and said in his professional opinion, I would not have had that stroke had I have not quit using marijuana. He then recommended it. It has helped me, but now I have found the need for cbd more than thc. I find it hard to believe they are going to do anything with Alzheimer's utilizing thc without cbd.

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I started using marijuana after my brain had developed and I do notice some short term memory loss. Like I'll be thinking of something and it evades me for a moment or two and then I just concentrate (retrace) my thoughts and I remember what I was doing but I've also noticed an improvement in long term memory.

Recollections have always been vivid but now they are like living through things again. Not going to lie and say every little detail is there, but the details I paid attention to are definitely recalled. So maybe those who say it improves long term memory may be on to something.

As for sperm count, I think it is low. I didn't plan on having children, but if the option is no longer there I will be sad. I saw the count is low because I used to masturbate daily growing up but now I don't. I still produce sperm but I noticed I don't shoot out as much as when I was growing up.

I knew this going in though and decided to proceed anyway.

thisperson,
Reactions: biohacker
Top Bottom