Log vapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I've had two myrtle Zaps plugged in to the same wall source and had them run differently. My walnut Zap also has a temp of it's own. I think there are several variables, including girth and wood type. If there are knots in the wood, for example, it can run cooler. The ambient temperature of the room can also make a difference. I don't know if it's the design change that seems make the PD run hotter, or if the stainless steel is the reason. I guess what I am trying to say is that there are many variables that can effect the heat of your draw.

momofthegoons,
This is really interesting.

So the temp difference would be due to the girth, which is about 1/8 of inch (3.2mm), density of the wood, and the shark fin heat exchange.

I saw that the PD website had a photo of the shark fins. There was a pic of 'the other guy' (sic) next to it. I imagine it's the MZ.
Anyway, the 'other guy' didn't have any shark fins.
It looked like a solid piece of metal.

Which seems to show that shark fins radiate heat faster than a simple block of metal.
Either way, it seems people are saying the PD runs hotter which increases herb efficiency.

I haven't heard of poor WZ for a while.
The WZ thread has been quiet for over a week.
Given it's the only overseas supplier, I imagine it's important.
Some guy once posted me and asked if WZ is still doing overseas work.
I didn't know.

Vapemania-original,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Either way, it seems people are saying the PD runs hotter which increases herb efficiency.

That is not at all what is being said. A vape running hotter can mean less hits from a stem load. It can also mean that you are releasing the CBN's and other active ingredients that release at a higher heat. It's all about what you prefer.

I recently had it explained to me like this and it made total sense to me, "It's like roasting a marshmallow. Too close to the flame and heat causes your marshmallow to burn which equals bad marshmallow. A slow even roast equals a good marshmallow." Now, I'm not saying that the PD burns your herb. I'm just saying that more heat does not necessarily equal better roast or better efficiency.

momofthegoons,

lwien

Vapemania said:

No one here said that an increase in temp equates to an increase in efficiency. Regarding efficiency, I would think that all 3 of these types of vapes would be about the same.

lwien,

lwien

Look what I just got for my PD. It was a birthday present. Photo's don't do it justice. Fuckin' be-a-u-ti-ful. Can't wait to try this puppy out. CD just does amazing work.

lwien,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
Grats lwien. That looks soooooo nice. I've been drooling over them on CD page for a while. Quality man, and a very very nice gift.

nuvap,

Nycdeisel

What a fantastic birthday present, Lwien! looks great! report back with results! Im not really into the tear drop shape myself but I love the colors on that one! And I def would not complain if I got that as a bday gift :p

enjoy! ;)

Nycdeisel,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
lwien said:
Look what I just got for my PD. It was a birthday present. Photo's don't do it justice. Fuckin' be-a-u-ti-ful. Can't wait to try this puppy out. CD just does amazing work.

Nice, I got one of his earlier versions, prob about 8-9 months ago- I think the first ones with the bong style mouthpiece- his colours have come a long way since then (that one looks really sweet), but I couldn't be happier with it- haven't used a normal stem since (I actually came across them this afternoon and am just about to load one to try, for old times sake). Look forward to your verdict on the cooler draw without water! I can't help but take bigger hits with mine.

Edit: was it a custom order? The ones I had seen the last time I looked in there had 'revolverre' all down the tube in huge letters. Which I didn't like so much. But yours looks nice and clean. :2c:

WatTyler,

MG23

Relaxin'
I'm jealous Lwien, those tubes are so pretty.
I know you usually stick to the water filtered method so I have a feeling anytime you direct draw it's gonna be with that bad boy. :D

MG23,
lwien said:

Very nice looking, indeed.
I wonder if there are more photos.

Momofthegoons' marshmallows made me think.

When herb is vaporising, the THC and herb aroma vapes at relatively low temps.
So they're gonna vape first, and so be lost from the herb quickly. This may be why there is a green, planty taste in the draw.
The other cannabinoids are gonna vape at higher temps and so stay in the herb longer. Those cannabinoids are more sedative in quality it seems.

This might explain why the hits are more euphoric with a fresh bowl, and become more sedative/soporific after a few tokes.
This is my experience with a new trench on the MFLB.

So with vaping, the early hits from the herb may differ in feeling than the later hits?
Is that so?

Vapemania-original,

hereatlast

lwien said:
I don't think anyone claimed that the girth would have a noticeable effect on it's own, but I do think it is one of the factors in the PD running a bit warmer along with the choice of woods.

I don't think I claimed that anyone claimed that did I? I was trying to make a point in a similar vein as mom's recent post ("I guess what I am trying to say is that there are many variables that can effect the heat of your draw.").

Nice new glass tube, enjoy it.

hereatlast,

Nycdeisel

btw ty, my PD was plugged in for months on end, used everyday, sat right on my desk in pretty much the same place for that length of time. I was skeptical about this feature at first too, but enough people have testified for it, and now I have tried it. it is completely fine, trust me!

gotta go, scooby doo is on!

Nycdeisel,

Brother Brigham

King, Priest and Ruler over Israel on Earth
I'm excited to hear your review of CD's pipe, lwien. I have been considering getting one of these, but havent been able to justify the purchase. It is not ideal for me to have to use a waterpipe...but i sure do prefer my vapor cooler. Although, using a log vape "native" isn't too bad anyway...

Brother Brigham,

MG23

Relaxin'
Brother Brigham said:
I'm excited to hear your review of CD's pipe, lwien. I have been considering getting one of these, but havent been able to justify the purchase. It is not ideal for me to have to use a waterpipe...but i sure do prefer my vapor cooler. Although, using a log vape "native" isn't too bad anyway...

If you haven't already checked them out, one of the wooden stems at Edstnt.com would make a great companion to your PD. Definitely cools the vapor and is a joy to look at. I have a cocobolo one myself that I use every time I want to direct draw.

MG23,

lwien

Brother Brigham said:

Yeah, I've never had a heat issue using the standard stems. But considering the internal volume of these glass tubes, which if I would have to guess is about 3 times the volume of the stock stems, I should be able to get a pretty nice hit and it'll just be fun seeing it milk up.

I had no idea how big these are when looking at them on CD's site. They look a lot smaller there.

lwien,

Purple-Days

I'll try to clear up the temperature questions as best as I can.

Anytime there is more than one variable you can only make generalizations.

Here are some of the variables.

A) Wood density. IMO with all other variables held as constant as possible wood density is the most important factor. And wood density can vary from one piece of wood to the next withing a single species. ie. one piece of American Cherry can be more dense than another piece of American Cherry. Ignoring that, and taking a species average, Alder will be warmer than Cherry or Walnut, those will be warmer than Myrtle, and Myrtle will be warmer than Ash and so on...

B) Unit diameter. All other variables held constant, there is a higher R-Value in a thicker body. But I do not believe this is a significant factor.

C) Resistor value. While the Ohmite resistors are very consistent, we toss out any that are > +/- 2% of target value and test every resistor (always have, you can see it discussed early in the PD thread). If you used the out of value resistors on either side you could expect a wider range of temperatures. I have no idea what QC protocols other use. We state ours. We want as consistent a product as possible.

D) Wall power, like resistors they can vary from one to the next (and we test them). With resistance set, Voltage controls heat output.

All the above variables, will affect either a PD, or MZ.

Internal differences of the Heat Exchangers construction and materials (and several other internal design differences) in the two products create further variables as mentioned.

+++

A few years ago I made some wooden tubes, never noticed anything magical about wood vs. plastic as far as cooling. After all wood is an insulator, not a conductor. Wooden tubes are neat, cool to look at, but cooling properties (of wood) seem to be over-emphasised considering the physics and my experience. Long glass tubes do cool the vapor, Pammy uses one, but you also are mixing the vapor with the air in the tube, diluting it somewhat, not something everyone is after. :2c:

Purple-Days,

MG23

Relaxin'
Purple-Days said:
A few years ago I made some wooden tubes, never noticed anything magical about wood vs. plastic as far as cooling. After all wood is an insulator, not a conductor. Wooden tubes are neat, cool to look at, but cooling properties (of wood) seem to be over-emphasised considering the physics. Long glass tubes do cool the vapor, Pammy uses one, but you also are mixing the vapor with the air in the tube, diluting it somewhat, not something everyone is after. :2c:

The wooden vapor tubes are somewhat longer than the plastic stock tubes and have a noticeably bigger inner diameter, this is what helps air flow and cooling the vapor, not the fact that they are wood instead of plastic. :)

MG23,

Purple-Days

The wooden tubes I made were of the same size as the stock tubes. Apples to Apples... Hard to tell by photos that the wooden tubes from Ed were larger than stock, Apples to Oranges. That would account for the cooling that is reported. Again the physics didn't make sense, when all other variables were held the same, but again we have another variable, or two, to account for (length and diameter). There is also the extra metal (in that design) to consider, another variable.

Purple-Days,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom