Log vape question.

PeteyS

I just got my first log vape and was wondering if it was normal to not get a air tight seal when mating the stem to the heater?
I assumed that it would be a very tight seal, however when i use my stem it feels like a lot of air is getting mixed in, and vapour production suffers.

This being my first log vape, could someone lend some experience.

Thanks so much.

Pete.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I just got my first log vape and was wondering if it was normal to not get a air tight seal when mating the stem to the heater?
I assumed that it would be a very tight seal, however when i use my stem it feels like a lot of air is getting mixed in, and vapour production suffers.

This being my first log vape, could someone lend some experience.

Thanks so much.

Pete.
It really depends on the log and the stems. The woodscents is ridiculously tight. I've heard the e-nano is very hard to get a good seal with the first party stems. They have to be place carefully.

For my other logs, Underdogs, Heat Island, CouchLog, there is plenty of airflow but still a nice seal in the heater.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
For my enano, it was always a slightly loose fit. I thought it had to be that way due to the glass heating chamber expanding and contracting without cracking. Regardless, the fit of heater to glass was not a tight seal and I still got powerful hits without issue.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: cannasoor

PeteyS

I guess Ill have to play around with it a bit more over the weekend.
Im coming from a whip vape desktop that had very tight airflow, I find that it was alot easier to take long 20 seconds pulls on the restrictive unit.

cannasoor

I thought it had to be that way due to the glass heating chamber expanding and contracting without cracking.

This is also what I always assumed; as I said elsewhere, I don't think the loose fit is the problem other people do. I think it's by design, for this very reason, and I don't think tightening it up would change much, at least not for the better.

(Think of it as an auto-carb almost; thus a feature, not a bug. :) )

Re draw strength, try a *very* light pull, almost like nothing at all, but just a bit more.

BabyFacedFinster

This is also what I always assumed; as I said elsewhere, I don't think the loose fit is the problem other people do. I think it's by design, for this very reason, and I don't think tightening it up would change much, at least not for the better.

(Think of it as an auto-carb almost; thus a feature, not a bug. :) )

Re draw strength, try a *very* light pull, almost like nothing at all, but just a bit more.
We always used to say "less is more" in the enano thread. You can pack as much as you want in an adjustable stem or wpa, but you can get killer one-hitters with just a smidgen of weed. And I agree, a slow steady draw at a reasonable temp draws out a strong tasty cloud.
Im coming from a whip vape desktop that had very tight airflow, I find that it was alot easier to take long 20 seconds pulls on the restrictive unit.
Any log vape is just a massive heater wrapped in wood. With a good heat setting, you'll tear through those trichomes no problem. I never found my unit to be restrictive, especially with 18mm glass.

The only reason I stopped using my enano was I couldn't leave a vape out in the house anymore and a portable is much easier to stash away.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

When I got my first log vape, old underdog, it is what helped me learn how to vape with pure convection... The tricky style of breathing in deep with open air flow to create the vapor and control your breath, honestly easier to do through water with a good bubbler instead of those dry straws in my experience... I think you have the nano so the stem options are probably even more limited but I would stick with the WPA through something especially these days at least a J hook would be necessary for me... That is how I used my heat island last and only get WPA with them now though there are so many stem and core options the airflow always varies, don't forget if you are using steel mesh screen the dirtier if they get the more the air flow is affected as well etc. So have fun experimenting my dude!

BabyFacedFinster

This thread had me thinking of my enano so I fired it up today. Still works perfectly. Just a simple session of a long adjustable stem with the heater set at 5.5. I think the flower was a variety of Wedding Cake.

This is how I used to test newly acquired bud. This set up (and the ice stem) provided the herb flavor in its truest form. Very pleasant!!

darkstar72

I was thinking the same thoughts yesterday. Tried the poly on glass wpa again recently. It has a metal roasting tube and the fit is loose. I immediately went back to a rolled up paper tube sitting on top of a glass wpa held there with silicone tubing. I much prefer the rolled up paper chamber with screen as it makes a tighter seal with the log's heater cover. Paper also does not conduct heat like metal or glass onto the chamber walls so it's more convection based. What log did you get?

JBone65

You can pack as much as you want in an adjustable stem or wpa, but you can get killer one-hitters with just a smidgen of weed.
I agree. Took me a year to learn that a small enough load for a single good hit is the way to go with my HI.
:leaf:
This gives me the best flavor and overall enjoyment compared to loading more and taking 2-3 hits. I put in almost enough finely ground herb to make me cough. Draw gently at first and then get the tube as hot as possible (without ignition), blow out the ABV while still hot, and hold/savor the hit for awhile. Will load a second hit if I need more.

Getting it as hot as possible, only one time just before blowing out the ABV, seems to helps minimize resin buildup on the screen IMO. :rockon::tup:

The tube is a loose fit. It took me awhile to find (what I think is) the ideal combination of voltage setting (temp setting in this case), load volume and tube insertion depth for this device. Have been using it for ~14 months, getting better hits then ever.

Last edited:

darkstar72

@JBone65 - I know your HI is your daily driver like me, but you've got to try the paper roasting tube if you have not. I prefer it and so does @Alan and that dude is freaking smart at engineering.

JBone65

@JBone65 - I know your HI is your daily driver like me, but you've got to try the paper roasting tube if you have not. I prefer it and so does @Alan and that dude is freaking smart at engineering.
I like the paper tube Alan sent (for free) with my Bamboo HI just fine, on the shelf. At first I got better hits with it. Now I'm thinking it's designed for larger volumes or with fluffy weed. Right or wrong, I prefer a relatively fine grind, and that works great in the small (unbreakable) 3/8" SS tube. I finally stopped overloading that and only load it around 50-60%, get it hot for a really nice single hit! When necessary I can clean it in 5-10 minutes with ISO. The first paper tube lasted a long time, maybe two months, and I replaced it with plain old typing paper. I used the second one a month or so, until it had good resin stains. After I forgot about it a few days, it got dust stuck all over it and I haven't made a 3rd one. Ain't nobody got time for that! :myday:

TMI?

JBone65,

PeteyS

So I had a chance to sit down and have some major sessions over the weekend with the Enano xl.
I have to say that I am pretty happy with its performance. At first I was worried about the stem not sealing well with the heater, letting in air along with the vapour. I realize now that it doesn't really matter, as I can get stonking hits, where at times I have to tap out before running out of lung pull.
I had to change my pull style compared to previous vape. At the start of my hit i pull ever so softly, hardly anything at all, then once I feel the vapour build up on the back of my throat i pull harder until i run out of lung capacity. This usually results in a one and done hit(which is my style of vaping.)

I have to say that the 5 3/4 inch stem that comes with the log vape runs hot. It isn't long enough to cool, which is a shame, because even at lower temps(7) its too hot for me. I put a order in for the Ice stem, the song wpa, and a 18mm J hook.
Ill report back with cooling results.

Have a good one.

PeteyS

Heres another question for the veteran log vapourists.
How close do you guys put the adjustable bowl to the heater?
Im looking for fast one hit extractions and have had the bowl right at the heater, almost touching the flower.
The hits are strong, hot, and i do get a bit of scorching. Should I move the bowl back a bit? Sneaky Pete recommended 1/2 a inch away, but I think that was more for flavour hits.

JBone65

With my Bamboo HI set on 11.7 v, I fill the small reservoir only about half full, this means the flower never touches the heater screen. Then I insert the 3/8" SS tube only about half way between the lip and the heater screen. Draw slowly at first. Once it's warmed up, insert the tube fully and get it as hot as possible.

It usually tastes better IMO if only half filled, possibly because I can finish it completely in one good pull.

IMO the tube gets hot faster with less in it, you can even tell the load is done when the tube gets hot.

The sample gets vaporized in one go, kinda like a one hit pipe, and the ABV blows out cleanly.

If I hit it "properly" loaded with too much weed it'll just make me cough.

Edit: It was @ShitSnacks who kinda suggested this method to me a year or so ago.

Last edited:

cannasoor

Heres another question for the veteran log vapourists.
How close do you guys put the adjustable bowl to the heater?
Im looking for fast one hit extractions and have had the bowl right at the heater, almost touching the flower.
The hits are strong, hot, and i do get a bit of scorching. Should I move the bowl back a bit? Sneaky Pete recommended 1/2 a inch away, but I think that was more for flavour hits.

The top of the flower is about 8-10 millimeters from the tip of the heater in my adjustable-screen stems. But then I vape at lower temps and with an eye toward much slower extraction than you do (as I think you know). Just for comparison, though.

cannasoor,

PeteyS

Nice, Im about 10 mm from the heater as well. I found that if i want a two hit extraction on low temps i need to move the flower right up to heater.
Its harsh though, since then ive pushed it back to about where your at Cannasoor. I do find that it takes a few more pulls to finish a bowl however.
I just received my Ice stem in the mail, going to wait for the weekend to do some testing, hopefully it will allow me to move the flower closer to the heater again, but without the heat and harshness.

Im trying to get a one and done hit, at low temps(6.0-6.5 on the dial) Not sure if that is even possible on the enano xl. But ill try!

JBone65

Something came loose inside my Bamboo HI a month ago. I could get it to work most of the time but it's toast now. 🥺

Alan indicated he would eventually make some more but I haven't heard from him in a month. Any suggestions for a simple, reliable alternative plug-in device?

Thanks.

Razhumikin

Something came loose inside my Bamboo HI a month ago. I could get it to work most of the time but it's toast now. 🥺

Alan indicated he would eventually make some more but I haven't heard from him in a month. Any suggestions for a simple, reliable alternative plug-in device?

Thanks.
Did you email him about a repair or just about a new batch? Alan is usually pretty quick to respond to repair inquiries.

JBone65

It's not a repair issue IMO, considering the cost of two way shipping, time to disassemble, the relatively low cost of the components, etc.

However, it's still a good idea. I'll try take it apart and finger it out. 🤯

Last edited:
JBone65,
Top Bottom