Lighters!

noia025

Very High Quality
im a owner of a kgm vector series lighter for 3 months.,,, until now this little tool rocks..
sturdy and well constructed..
5 years waranty i hope i never have to use it.

i got the stratos model...

noia025,

Spiderman

oil baron
Vector's butane is one of the top quality butanes available on the market. That being said, I have seen a number of problems with their lighters. Same with multiple other of the so called "high-end" lighter companies, who's lighters work for a month or two and then fall apart in your hand, or refuse to light, or various other issues.

For extremely high quality and long lasting lighters, check out Blazer. http://www.blazerproducts.com/tools/

I've owned a blazer torch for 9 months, and it still works like the day I bought it. Others who own the same torch have had theirs upwards of 2 years now, and still remark as to the reliability and fuctionality of the lighter. My understanding (although I havent done the research to back it up) is that Blazer actually invented the piezoelectric element-style lighter.

Further, most of the designs sold by these competitor lighter companies are direct copies of Blazer designs.

Another company who is new, but quickly gaining a good reputation, is Xikar. For both lighters and butane, Xikar is starting to grow.

The Vector Tri-Pump sure looks cool, but Iv been repeatedly told that its about the most useless lighter you can find.

Spiderman,

lwien

I just checked Blazer's site. Too bad that they don't make a flame lighter (non-torch) to use with the Genie.

lwien,

Jericho99

I just got my Vector Elio in the mail. Excited to see it in action. Can anyone recommend some good, pure butane I can find at my local store? I'm looking for purity and value.

Jericho99,

lwien

Vector Butane. Refined 5 times.

I tried to order the Elio from VG, but they're out of stock.

The Elio is perfect of the VG being that it is a vertical flame.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
Jericho99 said:
I just got my Vector Elio in the mail. Excited to see it in action. Can anyone recommend some good, pure butane I can find at my local store? I'm looking for purity and value.
Probably the best you'll find locally in a drugstore is something like Ronson. A tobacco shop may have better brands, like Dunhill or Colibri. Any of these will be expensive though.

lwien has it right. The best deal I've found (and I looked far and wide) is Vector butane. It's the best quality you can buy and the best price is here- http://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=272 . The cans are 320 ml and priced much better than the unit price of the smaller cans of other brands that most stores sell. If you can afford 6 cans (about $34) the price per can is under $6. Even with shipping it's a no brainer of a buy. If you have to buy locally I'd look for Colibri, and it's good quality, but you will pay a huge premium vs. cigarextras.com

max,

lwien

runner said:
Hi I'm looking at getting a VG, but I want to vaporize the healthiest way I can (with my current budget) so I want a clean lighter. Would this work, both as a clean lighter and being able to heat the ceramic filter well?
http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighters/stratus.html
No. Stay away from torch lighters with the Genie. They are not recommended by VG because it is very difficult to alter the heat that a torch gives off, and typically, with a torch, you end up with combustion rather than vapor.

lwien,

runner

Basshead
Alright, what would be the best clean burning lighter that works with the Genie? Would it be the Vector Elio? I'm really trying to minimize as much "bad stuff" as possible, but can't really go with an electric vaporizer for functionality reasons.

runner,

lwien

runner said:
Alright, what would be the best clean burning lighter that works with the Genie? Would it be the Vector Elio? I'm really trying to minimize as much "bad stuff" as possible, but can't really go with an electric vaporizer for functionality reasons.
I like the Elio because it has a horizontal flame, which is perfect for the VG. With a vertical flame, you have to hold the lighter at a 90 degree angle, and it gets pretty easy to singe your fingers.

Regarding the bad stuff, just make sure that you don't hold the lighter close to the VG when there is no flame. Once butane is burned, there really isn't any health issues to be concerned about. It is the unburnt butane that is a concern. But as far as lighter reliability, it IS recommended that you use the most filtered butane available, and Vector makes an excellent butane................5 times filtered I believe.

lwien,

Phaang

Fog Huffer
I use nothing but Vector butane. Good stuff. As far as lighters go, anything that has an electronic spark ignition system rather than flint would be the way to go. Doesn't even have to be an expensive one. I picked up a piezo refillable at a local drugstore for $3. I'm a fan of good quality lighters, but it is hard to find non-jet-style (standard flame) lighters of good quality anymore, so you may as well buy a cheap refillable.

Also make sure it is adjustable in height (nearly all refillables are).

Phaang,

runner

Basshead
Alright thanks. I'm not gonna get the VG for a little bit so I'm still open to opinions/suggestions, especially from the experienced members. Thanks again.

Edit: I'm trying to decide between the VG and VS (if it's still sold) Can you use a torch lighter with the VS since it's more angled?
And I'm interested in what I've seen about alcohol lamps (I don't know where I should post to talk about that.)

runner,

max

Out to lunch
Can you use a torch lighter with the VS since it's more angled?
The reason these two vapes don't work as well with a torch is the higher heat. It can be done but it's more difficult. You need more distance between the flame and the vape to avoid overheating.

max,

runner

Basshead
Alright thanks. And I'm gonna get the Genie for the sake of portability.

Edit: Btw thanks for this site, I didn't really like GC that much since everyone on there (for the most part) are smokers. I'm glad to see a forum dedicated to the good process of vaporization. I'm trying to get one of my close friends to quit smoking and start vaping.

runner,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi,

I have also found the Blazer torch to be the absolute best. I have had mine for more than 4 years now, and although more expensive, was definitely worth it -- I use it frequently. I have also had occasion (for various reasons) to buy many other torch lighters and have never found one I liked as much or was as reliable.

Also agree that Vector butane is the absolute best, chemically speaking.

Magic-Flight.com

magicflight,

Phaang

Fog Huffer
runner said:
(snipped)
And I'm interested in what I've seen about alcohol lamps (I don't know where I should post to talk about that.)
The problem with an alcohol burner and the VG is you would have trouble "tipping" the flame into the bowl. The flame from an alcohol burner is a passive effect, that is, the flame will always want to point straight up due to convection currents. With a butane lighter, you can direct the flame towards the bowl since the fuel is discharged through a nozzle and can be essentially "squirted" at the bowl.

Phaang,

runner

Basshead
Yeah I didn't understand how one would be able to aim the wick to do that, that's why I was interested lol

runner,

lwien

max said:
The best deal I've found (and I looked far and wide) is Vector butane. It's the best quality you can buy and the best price is here- http://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=272 . The cans are 320 ml and priced much better than the unit price of the smaller cans of other brands that most stores sell. If you can afford 6 cans (about $34) the price per can is under $6. Even with shipping it's a no brainer of a buy. If you have to buy locally I'd look for Colibri, and it's good quality, but you will pay a huge premium vs. cigarextras.com
I just purchased a can of Vector butane at a local tobacco shop for $5.00 (and I only bought one can), so you might want to check out some local tobacco shops first before ordering online.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
Was it 320ml? If so, I'm shocked it was that cheap. A can of Ronson in my area drugstores (about 80ml) is that much or more. And Vector is better than Ronson-no doubt.

max,

lwien

Yes Max...........320ml. It was from a shop that sells nothing but cigs, lighters, pipes, all kinds of tobacco, cigars, bongs, rolling papers, etc etc etc. But it is more of a tobacco shop than a head shop.

I saw your post and checked out the prices on line, than I called this shop and when they said 5 bucks, I hurried my ass on down there.

On a side note, in my online searching, I don't think I've seen a Vector can that was less than 320ml.

lwien,

The_Algebraist

My VG is my resident studio vaporizer, and I'm realizing that I really need to find a good, solid, reliable lighter for it. I've never used a BIC on my VG but I've been using these crappy "Elite Electronic" lighters, the basically run out of juice after about half a dozen sessions on the VG or less. I'm thinking that I could really use a decent refillable piece, one that does not use flint. Has anyone tried the LOTUS that they sell over on the VG site?

Oh, and if you're using an electric lighter, are you rocking a torch or flame lighter?

The_Algebraist,

SmogTown

I just use bic's. Guess I'm cheap but I may eventually buy a decent refillable lighter. And I've never used a torch lighter with the genie. I'd like to try one on it before I think about buying one.

SmogTown,
Top Bottom