Let's formulate and build best diy budget arbor press

GoldenGrahams11

Hey guys 1st post, super excited to learn from everyone here. like many people i have jumped onboard with the solventless route. I had my eye on a few "personal" presses i.e High5 and also RosinpressNY.

After reading some I thought it really might be a better idea to piece together my own press. That way i can get quality components at a better price, and also learn my way around the press and have knowledge in case something malfunctions down the line.

The press will be for at home use on smaller amounts of flowers, and occasionally sift. No more than 1g runs at a time.

Budget is $400-500. Hopefully you guys can point me to the right pieces to build a high quality press!

Parts Needed (if i'm missing things inform me.)
---------------

Arbor Press
Pressing Plates
Temperature Controller

Ok guys let's build the ULTIMATE at home budget rosin press!!

GoldenGrahams11,

lazylathe

Almost there...
Welcome to FC!!

We already have a $750 thread going for presses and equipment.
Have a look here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/home-rosin-presses-under-750-school-me.23294/

Most of the info is available there and scale to suit your application.

For a first time i would most likely go the cheap route, as in China and see how much you are going to use it, quality and the end product quality.

You could do a first cheap setup for around $400 this way.
if you want made in USA stuff, expect to pay a lot more...

Here are some plates with heaters and controller:
http://www.dhgate.com/product/doubl...plate/391450851.html#s1-1-1b;searl|2298572696

Check Craigslist or similar for your arbor press and you are good to go!

Not sure of your location, so help is harder to dispense...

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
Don't buy a High Five press.

You'll learn much more if you check out the $750 thread @lazylathe linked.

Personal suggestion: Invest in quality plates at a size you'll be happy with on say a 10 ton hydraulic press. and purchase a used Arbor press off Craigslist locally for $20-40. You'll get a way higher quality press than the High Five comes with and you avoid paying shipping on the heaviest part.

Once you're tired of the low yields from your arbor press you can spend a few hundred more dollars on upgrading to a hydraulic 10 ton or greater press utilizing the same plates.

Or if you want, the 10 or 12 ton press from Harbor Freight isn't a bad way to go on a budget, it just doesn't have the build quality or ease of use that a remote 'porta-power' style pump cylinder press does- you'll be jacking against essentially a bottle jack held in place by a frame.

lazylathe

Almost there...
@GoldenGrahams11

I have been thinking about this a lot more and have an idea!
Budget press it will be and some DIY is required!

Parts:
2 - Heavy duty U-Section steel beames. +- 12" long each
1 - 10 Ton car bottle jack
2 - Heavy duty threaded rod lengths. Length depends on height of bottle jack and plates.
8 - Heavy duty nuts that fit threaded rod
8 - Heavy duty washers

Line up the u-steel and drill two holes, one on each side. Roughly 1 inch in from the sides.
Place nut on end of threaded rod and slide washer on, slide this up from the bottom plate.
Secure with another washer/nut combo from the top.
You should now have a bit of u-shaped steel with two threaded rods sticking up.
Tighten everything so far.

Mount the bottle jack in the center of the middle plate. Each one will vary with how to attach it.
Make sure it is a solid and stable connection!

Now screw down another nut on each rod to the correct height and slide a washer down.. Place your plates in and then slide the top u-beam down and adjust the nuts till it is level.
One more washer and then the nut and tighten it all up!

Pretty much done!!
Just make sure everything is very heavy duty so as not to hurt yourself!!
This is just a recommendation!

Top Bottom