launch box vs the iolite (some specific questions regarding each)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I know this topic has already been debated plenty of times and then some, however I had some specific questions about both products that I was hoping I could get some help with. Btw, these are the specific items I am thinking about getting:
Iolite: http://www.amazon.com/Iolite-012780...ef=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1300738472&sr=1-1
MFLB: http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Flight-Launch-Box-Vaporizer/dp/B003F7FCNA/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4
Here are my major issues, let me know your opinion on any.
1. Reliability/Functionality (LB seems to win)
The general consensus that I am getting is that the LB is more reliable than the iolite. From what I read, since around Feb 2010? a new version of the iolite was received that fixed common complaints from before. (ie: the stem easily breaking) My question is if these new versions actually fixed anything and if in fact, since the modification, the iolite is more reliable. The general feeling I get is that the iolite is not reliable when compared with the LB. And when I mean reliability, I mean functionality and not the warranties for each product.

2. Ease of use for 1st time users (Iolite seems to win)
Is the LB difficult to use? One thing that really appeals to me about the iolite is the ease of use - meaning it would be a much better vape I could use among friends. I currently have a vaporgenie and its particularly difficult to smoke with my gf as she has no experience with pipes and has a hard time getting it to work. From what I've read there is some battery fidgeting for the LB. For the iolite you turn it on, wait a bit, and then just suck.

3. The Buzz and the Hit (LB seems to win)
From what I've been reading, the LB hits better and gives a better buzz whereas the iolite gives a more light-headed buzz which I'm not a big fan of. Also, when you hit these devices, can you see the vapor leaving your mouth?

So yea these are the issues that concern me for each product. In terms of price, the $50 difference is negligible for me. In terms of battery vs butane, both seem to have their own pros and cons that net out one another. In terms of portability, both seem portable/discrete enough for me. (no..not going to be vaping in a theater any time soon lol) Efficiency is not a big factor as I don't smoke very often.

Hopefully this wasn't too long-winded, any insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

crispy potatoes,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Here is what I have experienced:
I purchased my Iolite as my first vape. I was inseparable from it for the first few months. Then I started having ignition problems when the unit was colder than 60 degrees. This was more likely due to a clog rather than an actual butane (or temp) problem as I originally thought. SO during this time I purchased the MFLB, I never really minded the taste I'd get from the Iolite, usually it would start out really flavorful and then it would get to a toastier flavor, and then finally I could taste a little plastic as I was getting through with my load.

The MFLB has been VERY reliable and coupling that with not having to buy butane all of the time I think that makes the LB better overall. I find that the flavor is great and the effect is great and strong. There is a bit of a learning curve with figuring out how to tell if your batteries are starting to weaken, and learning and utilizing different hit techniques that help control the temp. , but overall I find I like my LB more as a go anywhere portable.

You can vape kief or finely ground hash ( I've even heard small discs of concentrate) in an Iolite whereas with the LB that is not really possible to most people's satisfaction. I still use them both, depending on my mood or where I am in the house. I just think that if I were looking for a good reliable portable and I had to do it all over again I would go with the LB...

And truly all of that was just my .02, because I wanted to help answer your questions. People have been so great with info on this site, so I hope you enjoy your visits here!

Cheers!

Bluntcrush,

greystr0ke

I also purchased the iolite as my first vape last April but had used others before. I absolutely loved it and brought it everywhere with me. I was using it 3-5 times a day and never had issues with it not working. I always used Vector butane in it and took really good care of it. After a while it started to have igniting issues meaning that it was taking me 10-20 clicks before it would begin to run it's cycles but this didn't happen all the time. It still worked. I never had any taste issues with plastic but I did go through several mouthpieces. The newest ones I bought seemed to work a lot better though as I still haven't broke one of those.

I kept using my iolite daily but was beginning to get curious about the MFLB as there was nothing but glowing reviews for it. After a while, I was getting less and less satisfied with the hits I was getting from my iolite and the MFLB was sounding better and better. I bit the bullet one day and have not looked back since. My iolite no longer gets used.

I will add that with the MFLB it's best to use better batteries or the power adapter or otherwise it won't reach it's potential. With either better batteries or the power adapter you can get much better hits that aren't even comparable to the ones you get off the iolite. You can see vapor form both devices but the iolites are very airy and you need really good lighting to see them.

Both vapes had a bit of a learning curve but the MFLB is probably a little more difficult to use. Definitely not much though. The iolite certainly isn't the easiest thing to use either so I wouldn't let this deter you.

The batteries/butane argument could go either way I feel. It sucks charging batteries and it sucks buying butane all the time.

I'd actually prefer the taste of the iolite to the MFLB but that's probably just because it's not capable of reaching higher temps.

Let me know if there's anything else I can try and answer for you.

greystr0ke,

darkrom

Great Scott!
The iolite simply isn't reliable enough. I've had both and sold my more expensive iolite because my MFLB one upped it in every way. AND it costs less. No brainer IMO :)

darkrom,
Hey All - thanks for the comments and insight. After going back and fourth the whole day, I think I'm finally leaning towards the LB.

I do have a question about the battery though. To give a quick background, I'm not a heavy smoker. I smoke at most one or two sessions a week. So it doesn't really make sense for me to have a bunch of batteries lying around. However it seems like having good batteries is key to a good LB experience. Can you guys recommend some good batteries? I've heard about the IMEDION AA 2400 mAh low self-discharge batteries and they're on amazon for $5 for 4 batteries. Not sure if these will charge with the charger that comes with the LB. Another thing is these batteries seem to require additional work to remove the labeling which I don't really want to do - not sure if there is any way around this.

crispy potatoes,

GreenLeaf

No the MFLB is not hard to use for a first timer. I had never vaporized at all when I got mine. It's very easy to vaporize with.

As for your questions about the batteries I'm not a heavy user either. I'm fine with the 2 batteries it came with and I will use one while the other one is being charged if that makes sense. I'm also going to save up for the adapter they've developed for the MFLB.

You should look through this main thread on the launch box for your answer about the batteries.
http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=909&p=385

GreenLeaf,

max

Out to lunch
I've heard about the IMEDION AA 2400 mAh low self-discharge batteries ...
That's what comes with the LB kit. If you want more, Amazon or http://www.thomasdistributing.com/ will have the best prices. Your 4 for $5 deal is really $10, since shipping is $4.99. And with 1-2 sessions a week, you may not need more bats any time soon, depending on how long your session lasts. OTOH, these NiMH batteries are very useful for other purposes, so getting some extras won't hurt. You can just leave the labels on (for use with regular products needing bats), and only peel 'em if you need 'em for vaping.

max,
In my opinion, having owned both, the MFLB annihilates the Iolite for a plethora of reasons.

-Massively better build quality, Iolite is like a clock-radio or a low-quality "burner" cell phone, it feels like a toy. The build quality of the Iolite is a slap in the face at its inflated retail price.
-Massively better warranty for the MFLB
-Iolite heats a pin in the center of its bowl to a high degree and uses conduction primarily (like the MFLB) as its source of heat. The problem is that its stays hot at all times (even when preheating with a full bowl) and so is causing undesirable, constant conduction vaporization whether or not you're inhaling. The MFLB cools down almost instantly after the battery is removed, reducing this problem to virtually a moot point.
-The above is related to the superior taste of the MFLB.
-Better price, der.
-MFLB is the single stealthiest vape available, although the VapeOrSmoke may present some challenge to it. Silent as the night.
-MFLB is smaller, and will survive many many drops. Newer ones are probably even tougher being made out of Maple, which is a very, very dense, hard wood, why it used on often on fretboards.
-Iolite stinks like whatever butane you fill it with. You WILL be concerned for your health, regardless of whether that concern is valid.
-The Iolite producers, to my knowledge, have refused to give us diagrams or operating princples behind their gas-exchange, catayltic-converter crap system, so we don't really know if it does a good job of taking care of uncombusted butane. They are a very old company with tons of butane experience, but still.
-Iolite needs to have its "moisture condensor" removed to hit properly, but then material in the bowl goes up the shaft and enters your mouth, or worse, clogs the pipe.
-MFLB makes your stuff go way farther, imo.
- The MFLB has a lifetime warranty from a company people love, the Iolite has a limited warranty and many people have war stories concerning their attempts to get their Iolites serviced.
-As far as hit size, I can get larger hits out of (1.5 year old, somewhat warm running) MFLB than I get out of my Iolite, unless the Iolite is STUFFED full and everything is dropped in after the preheating cycle. The iolite, however, will more effortlessly pull clouds if packed full, while the mflb just requires fresh batteries and a little know how, such as the microhitting technique.

-MFLB does have some slight drawbacks. You will NEVER share it with a stranger at a loud concert, it has a mild-to-severe learning curve depending on the individual and requires a 10 second explanation at least to give someone the idea. You will be juggling batteries, 1 to 6 a day depending on your usage, with 6 being on the way heavy side.

So I'll stop writing a novel and tell you, straight up, that the MFLB is in my opinion a far, far better option. You can get a MFLB + a Vapobowl or Vapocane for less than an Iolite, and have a far better vaporizer setup at the end of the day.

charliedontsurf,
Hey All,

So I ended up getting the launch box. Got it yesterday and tried it with my buds.

This thing is awesome.

I've never tried the iolite but I can say I am definitely satisfied with this purchase. I have the vapor genie and this is soo much easier to use. The learning curve really isn't high at all if you are a veteran smoker. (think like a hit or two)

The only thing that bothered me about this item was the battery. I don't know if it is just me but breathing in while using a battery to charge the device seems toxic. Perhaps this is all in my head but I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same. Might just end up getting the PA since that feels like it would be less toxic...

crispy potatoes,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
pakalolo,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom