Kief: what, why and how for a newbie?

jackson495

Hi everyone - been enjoying the forums and have gotten great advice here already. Hope this is a good place to post this since even Google searching the forums didn't really turn up the kind of basic info I'm asking about.

Was wondering if someone can give me the quick rundown on kief. What is it and how do you use it? I have a general sense that it is the stuff collecting in the bottom of my 4pc grinder but I'm not sure exactly what "it" is. Then when it builds up you just scrape it up? I've read some people like to vape it straight, some mix with herb, some smoke, some vape... Would just be curious to know what you would tell someone who's never collected or tried it before. Thanks!

jackson495,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
It's the resin 'crystals' (trichomes) that have broken off and seperated from the bud. These trichomes contain the majority of the active components in bud, and it's when these melt and vaporize that we get high.
jackson495 said:
Would just be curious to know what you would tell someone who's never collected or tried it before. Thanks!
I'd say 'vape it'! It's really tasty and potent. Either sprinkle some over the top of some ground bud in your bowl and vape normally (the bowl load will last for ages and make thick clouds), or you can press it and work it in between your hands and make hand pressed hash (sometimes it can take a bit more pressure than fingertips- look up 'shoe pressing')

If you've got any now I'd encourage you to go and try it- you'll enjoy!

WatTyler,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
I just bought a Sharpstone large pollen press off Ebay for about 10$ shipped (they sell for like 30$ new!). I've been collecting Kief in my 4pc grinder just for that, so I can press it and then smoke it. I do not intent to do the actual Hash recipe, but just actually pressing it. It should look something like this... Miammmm!

kiefies_0021.jpg

Image originally posted on Grasscity forums.

Vaporisateur,

lwien

jackson495 said:
Would just be curious to know what you would tell someone who's never collected or tried it before. Thanks!

Well, I used to separate it and collect it years ago. Now, I want as much kief attached to my bud all the time, so I no longer separate it and collect it.

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I never press my kief. I like to keep it loose. It works better for me that way.

Vicki,

Nycdeisel

ok but you gotta admit that pressed keif, even next to the loose stuff, looks pretty :brow:

you dont wanna know what I'd do to that keif....
or maybe you do

as for myself, I dont collect keif, but sometimes(like when I see ^^^^) I feel like I should. I would only use a quality keif box though, none of that 4piece grinder shit. but I dont feel like I pick up or vape enough to really get anything out of that.

Nycdeisel,
Loose (X) is far easier to lose and mishandle than solid (x).

That's my feelings at this point. Loose powders are a pain in my A. If you drop a big block of (X) you can just pick the damn thing up.

charliedontsurf,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I love to press my kief and use it for travel. I never carry meds with me when I fly , but pressed kief in a vacuum-sealed bag hidden in a bottle of head and shouldersl is virtually impossible to detect...... God I hope the TSA doesn't frequent this board :rolleyes:

Edited for "typos"

Stu,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
lwien said:
jackson495 said:

Well, I used to separate it and collect it years ago. Now, I want as much kief attached to my bud all the time, so I no longer separate it and collect it.

Yes, I remember we had a debate about that a few years ago arguing two piece or four piece grinders!

jeffp,
Top Bottom