just ordered my first vaporizer

silkenroe

ordered a Io-light off amazon for 170, not bad after comparing prices, never used a vaporizer before so I don't really know what to expect.

Been interested in the whole idea for a long time, mainly for health reasons, also ordered an e-cig for the same reasons.

As a smoker, for a long time I just couldn't rationalize buying a vaporizer because they're pretty darn expensive, but I used part of my tax money so it was money that I don't normally have, so it fit into my budget. If I enjoy it I plan to upgrade to a bigger unit for my house, but as of this moment I just have a hard time rationalize spending 600 bucks on something like a volcano or something like that and have worries about not being able to try it before I buy it....but living where I do it's just not an option.

for the most part I just wanted to introduce myself and get some newbie advice.

silkenroe,

The_Other_Shoe

What's Going On?
I have no personal experience with the Io to help you out, but glad to see we have another convert. I, and many people here believe people are turned off to vaporizing because of the price, and because of the price issue, many people buy a shitty first vape and can be turned off to the entire process. Luckily I found this site and was lead to the PD, one of the best investments I have ever made.

I hope you enjoy your vape, and if you do like it and as you said in your post above, I think with the resources at this site, you will find a suitable vape for yourself in a reasonable price range. Good luck, have fun vaping!

The_Other_Shoe,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Good luck with your Iolite! It too was my very first vape and I havent looked back since.

Just do yourself a favor and give vaping a chance. It IS a transition from smoking but I would say that 90% of it is mental. If you can see passed the 'huge clouds = huge stone' mentality, then you are halfway there. :)

Welcome!

AGBeer,

Bananiq

AGBeer said:
If you can see passed the 'huge clouds = huge stone' mentality, then you are halfway there. :)
true, true. That's a BIG problem for MOST of ppl out there.

Bananiq,

frogbmth

Hi Silkenroe

Great to see you here, congrates on buying your first vape. If you don't get on with your ecig you can use your new IO for that too - there is some info on my website you might find of interest.

Dont be afraid to post questions, there are no stupid questions - just stupid answers!

I absolutely adore my IO - best purchase I ever made :)

Andy

frogbmth,

max

Out to lunch
I just have a hard time rationalize spending 600 bucks on something like a volcano
Keep reading on the forum and you'll probably have an even harder time justifying a 'cano. ;) For about what you paid for the iolite you can get a nice home unit to go with it.

max,

Derf

Welcome to the site, and congrats on taking the plunge.

I have an Iolite and I love it. It really is marketed as a "portable" but what I love is that I can wander around my house without feeling tethered to a cord. It really gives you freedom to move around. I like that it is compact and stealthy, so if you do go out in public you feel better about using it. It is super easy to use once you get your rhythm down, I suggest reading the Iolite thread. A couple things I'll tell you right off

1) the plastic stem/straw tends to break. THere are metal-threaded plastic straws sent out as free upgrades if yours doesn't have it already. Just contact O&B in Ireland and they'll send them out, but it might take a couple weeks.
2) the unit is fixed temp, and many people report getting more vape off their used herbs out of the Iolite. I suggest saving your used herbs and either cooking with them, or using alcohol to extract any other 'oils' from the herb which you can either i) drip back onto herb, ii) drink, iii) vape directly.
3) get yourself a grinder/sifter. These are like $15-$20 on ebay. Chromium crusher is a good cheap one. But having your herb ground up makes it much more efficient.
4) The easiest way I've found to load it is to just put your mouth on the straw and inhale ground herbs right out of the grinder into the bowl.
5) As your bowl starts to thin out, give the unit a few shakes, wait 30 seconds, and then hit it again. Shaking it really helps.
6) draw slow, don't hit it too fast, you're not trying to "rip" it.
7) the unit works best with the bowl loosely packed, maybe 1/2 full.
8) invest in quality butane. ANything that is 5x refined. I like Dobo and Vector 5x. Buy it online in bulk for cheap. Do not use Ronson!
9) Do not use the last bits of butane from a fuel can in the Iolite (save it for a lighter or something), the end of the butane tends to be "dirty" and can clog up the micro jet in the unit.
10) it doesn't work so well in the cold (has to do with butane), so don't leave it in the car overnight during the winter and expect to hit it in the morning.
11) filling can be tricky - it only takes 1-2 seconds to fill it. Once you see butane coming out, it is full, so stop filling. A fill lasts about 2 hours for me.

Welcome to the club.

Derf,

pelswick

yeah the iolite is freakin awesome. you can just walk around with it out and hit it, it looks like a phone or something.

pelswick,
Top Bottom